• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if I'm missing something or if this is just racist. I'm feeling pretty unhappy about it and am hoping I'm just misunderstanding something. A package was delivered by UPS today and tracking says it was received by "CHONG".

That's not our name. Not even close.

It's not the first time this has happened.

Please tell me I'm just misunderstanding.

Eh, I'm going to put this in the "there's more to it" camp. Chong isn't a generic Asian name.

N° 2048

....I've been hearing a lot more shit like this happening ever since Trump got elected...last week on 1010 there was a story about a Korean lady who was being harassed at a bank by a dude constantly yelling a racial slur that also starts with CH...

Not to derail the thread but something I've noticed and it's troubling...

frequency

Are you Asian and/or really stoned when you answer the door? If no, could be a legitimate mistake. If yes, probably not a mistake.
I'm Asian. I don't do drugs. My last name starts with N and is 9 letters. My first name starts with a C and ends with a U. No O, N, or G in it.

Eh, I'm going to put this in the "there's more to it" camp. Chong isn't a generic Asian name.
I hope so. I'm not finding anyone else with the problem online so I don't know.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
....I've been hearing a lot more shit like this happening ever since Trump got elected...last week on 1010 there was a story about a Korean lady who was being harassed at a bank by a dude constantly yelling a racial slur that also starts with CH...

Not to derail the thread but something I've noticed and it's troubling...

lol this reminds me I was waiting to cross an intersection last night. I look both ways to make sure there's no cars and this white guy on a bicycle goes "you don't have to watch out for me, you have to watch out for the Asians coming down from Sheppard."

I replied "I look out for everyone"

That's not the first time people have made racist remarks like that to me, they probably think I'm white not realising I'm a first generation immigrant myself.

Aske

I don't know if I'm missing something or if this is just racist. I'm feeling pretty unhappy about it and am hoping I'm just misunderstanding something. A package was delivered by UPS today and tracking says it was received by "CHONG".

I'm really sorry this happened to you. It's entirely up to you how your handle it, but I hope you complain - or have a conversation with someone who writes for a local news site. That's not okay, and I think you understand exactly what's going on with it.

jholmes

Do complain and do feel free to reach out to the press.

Yeah we are...
:(

Canada, I thought you were cool.

I want to complain but... ugh...
You need to complain, that is unacceptable but something can only be done if they're aware of it. I'd try complaining to as high a level in the company as you can to be sure it's dealt with. Even if they come back with a reasonable explanation they'll understand why you complained.

Wait shit the game awards sale on psn died a day early? I was just about to get the witness ffs

**welp nope they just had a day less than the xbl game awards sale because fuck you.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Not anymore, few weeks ago Lays allowed other places to get them.

I bought 7 bags at my Walmart and regret every chip I eat after I finished the first bag.

lol why would you buy 7 bags of something you've never tried before?

Oh, okay. I didn't hear that. Last I'd read, they were restaurant exclusive.

I've yet to try them, but want to. I've never seen them anywhere and haven't been to Swiss Chalet in a bit.

I like Chalet sauce, but I only like Salt and Vinegar and corn chips.

Sealtest

lol why would you buy 7 bags of something you've never tried before?

There was a point where I went to multiple Swiss Chalets looking for these chips and one night around 9PM I saw these sitting in a box at walmart. Hype overpowered thought.

kennah

I bought 7 bags at my Walmart and regret every chip I eat after I finished the first bag.

I had the same experience with Crystal Pepsi. First bottle was great, then each one after was subsequently worse.

Walmart never has the chips I like when I go there. They have every kind but. Well, at the closest store to me at least.

Every time, there's no salt and vinegar in their $1 imitation Pringles. Those taste better than most salt and vinegar chips, outside of Miss Vickie's. They're better than Pringles and cheap AF.

Went to WalMart thanks to Sealtest. They were sold out but I did eavesdrop on a couple that said Sobeys had them. Went to Sobeys and grabbed their last two bags. Eavesdropping skill levelled up in the process.

Tiktaalik

Is anyone else's local Best Buy dramatically renovating?

I stopped by the Cambie Best Buy in Vancouver and the whole thing has been redesigned with an incredible de-emphasizing of videogames. Front and centre is a Google shop in shop pushing their phones and chromecast devices and there seems to be an expansion of floorspace toward appliances and headphones and bluetooth audio. The store is a lot more mazelike. The video game section has been relegated to the far back, and is TINY, comprising less floor space than the Google shop in shop, and seemed to mostly focus on console and accessories. There was a shelf with a handful of random games on it, but it seemed like a afterthought. The clerk said that for new games the expectation would be to go to the front and ask for them from the cage. I told the guy that I didn't think any one would really be buying games from here any more and he agreed with me.

Best Buy and Futureshop have always been pretty lazy and disorganized with their games sections, but this was a new level. There is so little thought and care put into this section of the store that to me it honestly had me wondering if Best Buy is looking to get out of games sales.

EDIT:

The section was sort of near the online pick up desk so I wonder if this is related to some data they have that a huge amount of their games sales are bought online or set aside online for pickup later.

Maximus.

Is anyone else's local Best Buy dramatically renovating?

I stopped by the Cambie Best Buy in Vancouver and the whole thing has been redesigned with an incredible de-emphasizing of videogames. Front and centre is a Google shop in shop pushing their phones and chromecast devices and there seems to be an expansion of floorspace toward appliances and headphones and bluetooth audio. The store is a lot more mazelike. The video game section has been relegated to the far back, and is TINY, comprising less floor space than the Google shop in shop, and seemed to mostly focus on console and accessories. There was a shelf with a handful of random games on it, but it seemed like a afterthought. The clerk said that for new games the expectation would be to go to the front and ask for them from the cage. I told the guy that I didn't think any one would really be buying games from here any more and he agreed with me.

Best Buy and Futureshop have always been pretty lazy and disorganized with their games sections, but this was a new level. There is so little thought and care put into this section of the store that to me it honestly had me wondering if Best Buy is looking to get out of games sales.

EDIT:

The section was sort of near the online pick up desk so I wonder if this is related to some data they have that a huge amount of their games sales are bought online or set aside online for pickup later.

It is all about margins and making money. Video games do not make retailers like any money. If I am not mistaken, they basically have deals with these companies to make these microstores and showcase these items. These stores also provide larger margins and more potential revenue and potential profits. I am sure Best Buy did research and realized that maybe people do more game shopping online, rather than in store. Maybe by putting it in the back, it forces people to spend time "discovering" or looking at all the other shit.

I thought the same thing though. Went to a Best Buy that was recently opened in my area and was shocked at how shit the video game and movie sections had become. I do buy most of my media online, feels weird walking into a store to buy a game or movie these days lol.

mdubs

Banned
Not surprising, many people who are casually into picking up new releases (ie. not shopping around like we do, because online is the way to go there) annecdotally tend to just go to EB Games to buy full-price since they know the games are there rather than Best Buy. I think big game displays are going to go away in the next couple years, especially since they (apparently) make little money on games in the first place.

Lexxism

Anyone having problem signing to PS store using your phone? It kept saying my password is wrong even though it is correct.

Ohhhhh I am soooo pissed off! My Bell PVR crashed and I restarted it the same way I always do when it happens. It thought it would be a good idea to wipe my entire HD. Everything is gone, like 75 hours of stuff that I kept for different reasons. However, it still remembers all my settings like my scheduled stuff for recording. Bell loyalty will hear from me on Monday, tired of this stupid box acting up!

Ohhhhh I am soooo pissed off! My Bell PVR crashed and I restarted it the same way I always do when it happens. It thought it would be a good idea to wipe my entire HD. Everything is gone, like 75 hours of stuff that I kept for different reasons. However, it still remembers all my settings like my scheduled stuff for recording. Bell loyalty will hear from me on Monday, tired of this stupid box acting up!

A Bell PVR acting up? That's not news.

Sorry to hear you lost everything.

If I change a scheduled event or timer to "Just Once" instead of "Weekly" or something like that, the PVR skips it. It's also deleted things randomly.

PSN decided that I bought everything concerning the "Powers" series. It's 5 page of stuff on the account website under "Media"... I did not receive a e-mail about purchasing it and I have 2-steps on. Um...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom