• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I remember when BB set the RZ points date to when you preordered the games instead of when they shipped so you'd keep the points even if you returned the games. Good times. :lol

soultron

Banned
Last time I went it pretty much went:

"Would you like to pre-order a game with that?"
"Not for now, thank you"
"Are you sure? Did you know Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming out this year?"
"Yes, I'm okay, thank you"
"It's best to pre-order since it's a popular game that will go quickly"
"I may preorder it later, but not now, thanks"
"Your choice! Would you like to protect your controller for a small fee?"
"No thanks, I'll just get this and be on my way"
"Are you sure? Nintendo doesn't cover past the first 90 days."
"No thanks, I'm good"
"If you come back with a broken controller in more than 3 months, I won't be able to help you"
"I'm really good. Thanks."
"Ok." *Hands receipt* "Next person!"

Might just be bad employees at that store, but it wasn't my only bad experience. It just sucks.

Why do people still put up with this horseplay?

Just be stern and ask for your receipt, "I don't need anything but my receipt."

Be a bit of a jerk if you need to be.

Eb in store and online are such a terrible experience it has completely stopped me from using them at all. Even when an item is exclusive I just pass on it.

I'm done with Best Buy ever since they dropped the ball two years ago. Amazon sucks with shipping - sometimes by a large margin - but I'd rather deal with them than BB and their Reward Zone nonsense.

Fuzzy

I've never had to be a jerk and I've never gone through anything more than "anything else?". Maybe it's because I walk in and go straight to the employee and ask for what I want without looking around the store. I don't think I've spent more than a couple of minutes at a time inside an EB.

Oneself

I'm done with Best Buy ever since they dropped the ball two years ago. Amazon sucks with shipping - sometimes by a large margin - but I'd rather deal with them than BB and their Reward Zone nonsense.
Personally, I've had much more shipping problems with BB. At least, when amazon fucks up they give you discounts, free shipping and gift cards / credits all by themselves.

I've never had to be a jerk and I've never gone through anything more than "anything else?". Maybe it's because I walk in and go straight to the employee and ask for what I want without looking around the store. I don't think I've spent more than a couple of minutes at a time inside an EB.

For me personally, the worst I've ever had was someone asking if I was sure I didn't want the disc insurance. That was it. I've had more pleasant interactions with EB Games people than unpleasant ones, but that was years ago and the current climate may be different.

I still remember the EB Games person who took one look at the Korg DS-10+ case I manage to pull out of the DS section (after searching online for the one store within a 20km radius that still magically had a copy) and was like "whoaaaaaa I didn't even know we still had one of those!"

Personally, I've had much more shipping problems with BB. At least, when amazon fucks up they give you discounts, free shipping and gift cards / credits all by themselves.

Opposite for me. Amazon's never given me anything for routinely missing release date, even with Prime. Best Buy, meanwhile, is pretty good with the $5 credits if a certain game was delayed from the distributor, and very rarely do I get a game more than a day after release from them. The average time after release for PRIME orders for me is three days. PRIME orders.

Trogdor1123

2DwqbIh.png
Wonder what the deal is? 20% again?

i-Jest

giphy.gif

Enjoy your rewardzone points that can't be used until one month after the game ships.

Alright dude, chill.

I'm never in any hurry to use my points to begin with. If the discounts knock a good chunk off the MSRP, then it's worth it. If not then I'll see what's Amazon is saying.

frequency

I'd be okay with points if they could be used online but having to go to their reward zone site to print out a coupon that can only be used at a physical store when the one near here is converted to basically just an empty show floor... No thanks Best Buy.

kevin1025

Banned
I'm getting excited for E3 deals! I know it's not going to be good, haha, but I'm still excited. As long as a game or two price error or are in that $50 section on Amazon they've had a few times (usually Ubisoft games), I'll be happy enough.

Kyolux

I'm getting excited for E3 deals! I know it's not going to be good, haha, but I'm still excited. As long as a game or two price error or are in that $50 section on Amazon they've had a few times (usually Ubisoft games), I'll be happy enough.

I miss 20% off lowest price.

Fuzzy

At least I still have my $40 KH3 preorder from 3 years ago. That's 50% off today's regular price!

Qwyjibo

Is the Nier PC version fixed and everything? I remember reading about aspect ratio and resolution issues. I've been tempted to just get it for PS4 but ideally I'd love to play it in full ultra glory on PC if it all works.

Is the Nier PC version fixed and everything? I remember reading about aspect ratio and resolution issues. I've been tempted to just get it for PS4 but ideally I'd love to play it in full ultra glory on PC if it all works.

PC version is fantastic if you install the fan patch.

It's extremely easy to do. You just download it and run it and you're done. You don't even need to tell it the file directory.

Whales

Banned
if anyone is looking for a gaming mouse, the logitech g403 is on sale at bestbuy and amazon too for 50$ (with prime you get the one day delivery if its available in your location)

http://m.bestbuy.ca/defaultpage.asp...spx?ajax=true&lang=en-ca&pcname=&sku=10482667

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01KUAMCV4/

after looking up many reviews, I feel like 50 for that mouse is a steal. I just bought mine and its arriving tommorow, can't wait to test it out.

it has a wireless version but its not on sale :/

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Is Best Buy Canada successful enough to eat that cost?

I don't know why, but I feel like I'm constantly just waiting for the day when BB announces they're shutting down.

I was in a Best Buy today and it looked so sad. There was more employees than customers.

PS4 games were just 1 shelf whereas I remember PS3 games taking up an entire aisle.

I hope they dont go out of business but at the same time they did this to themselves.

Ondore

I didn't realize how good the EB trade promo for the New 2DS was: Trade a 3DS (any kind)/Vita and get $125 toward the N2DS.

Qwyjibo

I was in a Best Buy today and it looked so sad. There was more employees than customers.

PS4 games were just 1 shelf whereas I remember PS3 games taking up an entire aisle.

I hope they dont go out of business but at the same time they did this to themselves.
Almost every time something video game/blu-ray related goes on sale at Best Buy, you can expect Amazon to update their price to match it in a matter of hours. That plus having the Amazon Visa means I rarely go to Best Buy anymore.

(Except for price errors. I love price errors. Anywhere.)

Has anyone here ordered anything from play-asia recently? I never realised the customs wait was so bad. The item left Singapore on 4/22 and didn't clear customs until 5/20. Still hasn't arrived either.

leeman

Has anyone here ordered anything from play-asia recently? I never realised the customs wait was so bad. The item left Singapore on 4/22 and didn't clear customs until 5/20. Still hasn't arrived either.

The last item I ordered from them took FOREVER to arrive. I was certain it wasn't going to arrive. It did eventually, but took a really, really long time.

Luigi87

The last item I ordered from them took FOREVER to arrive. I was certain it wasn't going to arrive. It did eventually, but took a really, really long time.
This. Took well over a month.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
My local EB is doing a BBQ for Crash Trilogy launch lol.

Not sure if its a corporate thing or the employees are organizing it themselves.

Almost makes me want to preorder with them instead of Amazon. I love BBQ.

My local EB is doing a BBQ for Crash Trilogy launch lol.

Not sure if its a corporate thing or the employees are organizing it themselves.

Almost makes me want to preorder with them instead of Amazon. I love BBQ.
and some people have the nerve to wish for EB Games to go under. You won't get BBQ from Amazon.

AtlantiC_CodeX

Neo Member
If I wasn't on mobile I'd link you to the "help me build a pc" thread, but while the pc from bestbuy isn't awful I think you can do a lot better for just under 1k if you were to build it yourself. Last year's i5 and an rx460 wit 2gb video ram wont be maxing anything out obviously.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352338
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/

You can also find stuff on kijiji and rfd (lol). Just be wary that there's some guy that's buying second hand parts by lowballing people, putting builds together and selling them for slightly less than what you'd get buying new.

Where are you located, Toronto?

I wish lol, I'm located in Saint John NB.

You can't find much on kijiji here compared to Toronto, so pretty much my best bet would be to check for some good deals online.

Thanks guys, I will try posting in the hardware thread.

Ventara

I didn't realize how good the EB trade promo for the New 2DS was: Trade a 3DS (any kind)/Vita and get $125 toward the N2DS.

Wow, didn't realize they had this going on. Got my OG 3DS with the rubber for the knob coming off, so I think I'll trade that. I don't really need the system since I have a N3DS XL, but would be great to keep as a backup since I have enough DS/3DS games to last me a lifetime.

Edit: Nice! I don't need to trade in the charger and the N2DS comes with one. Perfect! I've got a spare Vita that I planned to install custom firmware on, but I haven't done anything with it in forever, so maybe I'll trade that in, too.

Edit 2: Just gonna highlight this as I almost missed it if it wasn't for LastOne above me quoting Ondore.

DEAL

I just remember being very disappointed with last years sales. Hopefully numbers were down and so the major stores revert back to sales that are similar to the good old days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom