• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventara

It came in an email.
Xbox for the Xbox S or whatever it is called, for a $99 upgrade fee. The Xbox trade in stacks with another promotion, where you get the latest fast and furious movie and an extra controller with a system bundle (forza console bundle, or something else), which makes it great.

Here are the XB bundles: https://www.ebgames.ca/SearchResult/QuickSearchHeaderPlatform?platform=52&promotions=true. As I said, you also get a controller and the Fast and Furious movie on blu-ray

So for $100, I can trade in my X1 for the Halo Wars 2 bundle + controller + movie? I suppose I have to trade in 1 controller with my X1?

Ryne

So for $100, I can trade in my X1 for the Halo Wars 2 bundle + controller + movie? I suppose I have to trade in 1 controller with my X1?

Yup, someone ahead of me in line Saturday did that exact deal.

Trade in your console + hdmi cable + controller and you can get a bundle with an extra controller and the fast and furious movie for $99.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Are founders editions GPUs any worse or do they run hotter? The MSI 1080 Ti is $919 on Amazon hmmmmmm.

Oh shit, the ugly Gigabyte 1080 non-Ti is $663 hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Corey31

Yup, someone ahead of me in line Saturday did that exact deal.

Trade in your console + hdmi cable + controller and you can get a bundle with an extra controller and the fast and furious movie for $99.

You can trade it in but you shouldn't be able to get the 1TB Halo Wars 2 Bundle for $100. What the deal basically works out to is get $250 towards the purchase of a new bundle when trading in an XBOX One or PS4. So the 1TB Halo Wars 2 bundle would actually be $200, not $100. As the regular price for it is $449.99.

The 1 TB Gears 4 bundle would be $150 as it's regular price is $399.99

The 500 GB Battlefield 1, Minecraft or Forza Horizon 3 are $100 as they are regular $349.99.

The deal also works towards the PS4 Uncharted 4 bundle but it doesn't come with a second controller or Fate & The Furious 4K BR. Others have also been able to get the PS4 Pro system and just pay the difference also.

krae_man

Does anyone have more concrete info on that eb upgrade deal I told my friend about it but I can't seem to find anything on their site.

I did it for the PS4. Traded in my launch PS4 and got the COD IW and MW remastered bundle for $100.

They even took my crappy stick launch controller I stopped using. I sold the COD game bundle for $50, and the controller for $40 so the upgrade cost me $23 including tax :lol

For PS4 it counts towards the Uncharted and COD bundles which are in their system for $330 and your system is given $230 trade value.

You can get other bundles too but will have to pay the difference.

Not sure about Xbone.

Ryne

You can trade it in but you shouldn't be able to get the 1TB Halo Wars 2 Bundle for $100. What the deal basically works out to is get $250 towards the purchase of a new bundle when trading in an XBOX One or PS4. So the 1TB Halo Wars 2 bundle would actually be $200, not $100. As the regular price for it is $449.99.

The 1 TB Gears 4 bundle would be $150 as it's regular price is $399.99

The 500 GB Battlefield 1, Minecraft or Forza Horizon 3 are $100 as they are regular $349.99.

The deal also works towards the PS4 Uncharted 4 bundle but it doesn't come with a second controller or Fate & The Furious 4K BR. Others have also been able to get the PS4 Pro system and just pay the difference also.

Every EBGames deal I have participated in is so YMMV. The guy ahead of me was lucky I guess lol.

Thanks for sorting that out.

A relevant bit from CBC's piece on US's NAFTA negotiation objectives:

Online cross-border shoppers may be most excited to read the USTR's objective to improve customs facilitation, including raising the de minimis shipment value — the amount that can be shipped into Canada or Mexico duty-free — to $800 US.

Canada currently triggers duties for goods valued over $20, one of the lowest de minimis levels in the developed world.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nafta-ustr-negotiating-objectives-monday-1.4208459

Bet this thread would appreciate that!

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yo they better be making a new season of Gypsy over there at Netflix.
And another after and another after that.
Naomi Watts is pretty damn incredible.

Not sure where I'd even ask this so I will ask all of you fine fellow Canadians: about 1/5 times I insert a cart into my Switch I get a "Game Card Read Error". Usually, removing it and putting it back in fixes it. It's a little annoying but more worrisome, as I don't want to have to send it away right when Splatoon is coming out (and I had someone tell me they won't be happy I have an Orzly protector on mine which sounds stupid but who knows).

Anyone else either have this issue, know what causes it or know a fix for it?

Not sure where I'd even ask this so I will ask all of you fine fellow Canadians: about 1/5 times I insert a cart into my Switch I get a "Game Card Read Error". Usually, removing it and putting it back in fixes it. It's a little annoying but more worrisome, as I don't want to have to send it away right when Splatoon is coming out (and I had someone tell me they won't be happy I have an Orzly protector on mine which sounds stupid but who knows).

Anyone else either have this issue, know what causes it or know a fix for it?
This happened to me once so far (zelda is almost always in my switch, and i have changed carts maybe a total of 4 times). I blew on the cartridge and it registered fine afterwards. Probably psychological.

This happened to me once so far (zelda is almost always in my switch, and i have changed carts maybe a total of 4 times). I blew on the cartridge and it registered fine afterwards. Probably psychological.

It happened to me at launch with Zelda a few times but I wasn't concerned. Now it happens with pretty much all of mine (I've wasted a ton of money on this thing so I have quite a few) so now I'm a little concerned!

Hey guys, im moving to ontario in the next couple of weeks, any good advice of stores where i can buy a nice gaming laptop and probably the new 2ds? I have been following the topic for some time and already lost the hope on a switch haha. I probably gonna be near the dufferin mall, but i don't know if there is another good store around gta

bigJP

Amazon edited the A40 listing to remove the Amp completely. I bet they got many, many complaints and returns. lol

I didn't receive it yet but gonna complain until I get it lol. Will either sell it for profit or return it

Realized that the add was false but couldn't cancel. Ended up ordering hyperx clouds too

Quadratic

Not sure if this is a good or bad deal but people looking for an external storage upgrade for their console

Bestbuy.ca has a 3TB Seagate external drive for $119.99

I picked one up this morning. My PS4 1TB fridge is full

Not sure if this is a good or bad deal but people looking for an external storage upgrade for their console

Bestbuy.ca has a 3TB Seagate external drive for $119.99

I picked one up this morning. My PS4 1TB fridge is full

I wish I didn't see this. I might have to bite the bullet but my wallet will be mad.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, im moving to ontario in the next couple of weeks, any good advice of stores where i can buy a nice gaming laptop and probably the new 2ds? I have been following the topic for some time and already lost the hope on a switch haha. I probably gonna be near the dufferin mall, but i don't know if there is another good store around gta
Join us in the Toronto GAF thread and join the deals Discord as well.

I'm not sure you'll find anything in stores but I usually check Newegg and NCIX myself.

Madness

I use my TV pretty evenly between between movies and gaming.

So aside from the minor screen differences, the consensus is that he 43" X800E is a solid TV? I've been trying to upgrade from my old 720p for year now, and $900 for this seems fair enough.

No, it is a worse television beyond just the IPs vs VA panel difference. It has slightly higher input lag, worse color gamut, very worse black levels, and marginally better brightness levels. It is a step back at 43"... viewing angle is one of the last things you should ever look at for a television. Rtings just makes it part of almost every review when it hardly affects the majority. But a television where blacks look grey and you need bias lighting behind the television to make it tolerable matters more.

Is it a massive upgrade from your 720p television? Yes. You will still be blown away. But viewing angle is a red herring. Most sit within 20-30 degrees off centre when viewing a television. 43" is such a niche size that you are pretty much out of luck trying to find anything decent. Notice how the X800D is still the recommended 43" version by Rtings.

For 49", you have the ability to forgo the 800E series and get the superior 900E which has great blacks, 120hz panel, and nearly 2.5x the sustained nit brightness.

Is there any way to gauge or see a chart of trade values at EB Games before I send the games in? With Splatoon 2 coming up, I have two games (Isaac and Puyo) I'd trade in and I wonder with the promotion they have that it'd be better to go there than a mom-pop store I've been going to.

Quadratic

Fastest depreciation of a game I've ever seen.
Seeing the huge drop in price makes me sad I was a day one buyer. Usually Bioware is a company you can trust with preordering. Suffice it to say that trust with me is broken. I'm highly doubting what Anthem can deliver even though it's the Edmonton team working on it.

ohlawd

some Nintendo stuff on sale

$70 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe / save $10
$30 7th Dragon III Code: VFD / save $15 (fucking worth. RPG with a lot of team composition possibilities and fair difficulty)
$10 Final Fantasy Explorers / save $15 (out of stock online tho, try in store)
$30 Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse / save $25 (also OOS, go to your local store)
and other stuff

Mr. F

Banned
This super doesn't count as a Canadian deal but given how dire prices are I thought I'd share all the same - buying Switch codes through Amazon Japan has been reliable so far (Got MK8 and Splatoon 2) and is relatively easy to set up. Well worth the $30~ in savings IMO - I was able to get both for $62 each rather than $79 before tax on Amazon.ca.

Bless region free.

Edit; I'm a ding dong. MK8 had English :(

Zeeman

This super doesn't count as a Canadian deal but given how dire prices are I thought I'd share all the same - buying Switch codes through Amazon Japan has been reliable so far (Got MK8 and Splatoon 2) and is relatively easy to set up. Well worth the $30~ in savings IMO - I was able to get both for $62 each rather than $79 before tax on Amazon.ca.

Bless region free.

Just so you know, JP version of Splatoon has no English language option

killroy87

Bless region free.

Buying from the Japan store doesn't inhibit you in any way (Japanese version of the game, ability to play online, need to play on a different account, etc)?

Is there any downside whatsoever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom