• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the hype around the new Super Bomberman R update I went to see if I could move my Arms preorder credit from the Switch trade in promotion to Super Bomberman R.

It turns out I can't :/ According to the sales clerk, thanks to system abuse I can't move my credit from the Switch double credit promotion over at all. Sucks because I only initially put it on Arms because Splatoon 2 wasn't a choice, I was told by a clerk back in February to preorder arms and change it at a later date.

Apparently I can return the game at launch and get my credit back, but if I want to change it I'll have to contact EBGames support, or use half of my credit to purchase it now. Anyone else experienced anything like this?

What? You can't change to switch games? I also have pre-order arms and might want to change it to a different switch game.
You apparently can't if you preordered with the double credit trade in promotion.

Was really weirded out.

They recommended calling support, but they're closed until Monday unfortunately.

eyesradar

With all the hype around the new Super Bomberman R update I went to see if I could move my Arms preorder credit from the Switch trade in promotion to Super Bomberman R.

It turns out I can't :/ According to the sales clerk, thanks to system abuse I can't move my credit from the Switch double credit promotion over at all. Sucks because I only initially put it on Arms because Splatoon 2 wasn't a choice, I was told by a clerk back in February to preorder arms and change it at a later date.

Apparently I can return the game at launch and get my credit back, but if I want to change it I'll have to contact EBGames support, or use half of my credit to purchase it now. Anyone else experienced anything like this?

It's absolutely his own BS. I just moved my preorder credit from MK8D to Splatoon 2 yesterday. No questions asked. It was ordered during the 2x trade in promo too.

When I made the initial order during the promo I actually asked the manager (he was there) if I can move my credits around freely. He said it has to be here in this specific location and it has to be everything Switch, other than that Yes.

Sooooo... talk to another CSR next time I guess.

Ventara

You apparently can't if you preordered with the double credit trade in promotion.

Was really weirded out.

They recommended calling support, but they're closed until Monday unfortunately.

Hmm, hope this doesn't happen to me when I change my Switch preorders. I confirmed I can do this with the manager and 2 clerks, and the guys there are cool, so hopefully I'm okay.

It's absolutely his own BS. I just moved my preorder credit from MK8D to Splatoon 2 yesterday. No questions asked. It was ordered during the 2x trade in promo too.

When I made the initial order during the promo I actually asked the manager (he was there) if I can move my credits around freely. He said it has to be here in this specific location and it has to be everything Switch, other than that Yes.

Sooooo... talk to another CSR next time I guess.

lol, hate when CSRs try to pull shit like this.

SickBoy

It wouldn't surprise me if there's some stuff going on at the store level, given the RFD effect on some of those deals.

I would have to imagine the games are still covered by EB's Game Guarantee or whatever it's called. I wanted Splatoon 2, too, but I figured that — given the guarantee — it would be nice to at least give Arms a shot, since the schedule is pretty sparse.

I'm not sure if my preorder is/would be locked down in the same way (if it's a chainwide thing), as I took advantage (I think) of the Trade 3 deal, not the double credit promo. But given that others are suggesting they switched preorders without hassle, I'm guessing it's just that store, or that CSR.

Thanks for the replies guys:

I went back into the store and the assistant manager (who I spoke to) told me that he spoke to the manager over the phone and got the OK for the trade in.

So I got Super Bomberman R for $8, I had to agree that I couldn't return the game though. It was awkward, but at the end I finally now own Super Bomberman R :D

My wallet may hate me for it but I'm tempted to collect all the Splatoon Amiibo, despite not (yet) owning a Switch or owning a WiiU.

I already have the first set of 3, but not the inkling sisters or the new Splatoon 2 set.

Convince or dissuade me, please.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
My wallet may hate me for it but I'm tempted to collect all the Splatoon Amiibo, despite not (yet) owning a Switch or owning a WiiU.

I already have the first set of 3, but not the inkling sisters or the new Splatoon 2 set.

You should totally buy every one of them.

I recommend that you collect nendoroids instead. All of them.

Since you asked...Do splatoon characters have some sort of personality, lore/legend storylines, and/or a universe full of cool adversaries? Personally I don't see the appeal. They don't "fit" next to mario, link, bayo, DK, samus and ROB.

But of course to each their own. Especially if you will use the DLC content on the amiibo.

DVCY201

Thanks for the replies guys:

I went back into the store and the assistant manager (who I spoke to) told me that he spoke to the manager over the phone and got the OK for the trade in.

So I got Super Bomberman R for $8, I had to agree that I couldn't return the game though. It was awkward, but at the end I finally now own Super Bomberman R :D

What? LOL did they pull out a contract saying you couldn't return it? That's sooo whack...

tsundoku

that would miss out on a set of 3 alt colours be more comprehensive please

Iced

Walmart has the neon red L neon blue R Joy-Con set in stock: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/nintendo-switch-joy-con-rl-neon-blue-neon-red/6000196784268

k7sp7tB.jpg

Seik

Banned
I may need a piece of advice here.

I'm torn on if I should get Amazon Prime or not.

I'm pretty sure I'd buy enough games this year to make it worth it. but I could also just wait to E3 to have a similar discount on all games without having tp shell out 80$ for it...is there something else worth it? I read about people using Best Buy GCU with Visa checkout, is this only in the US? If not, what kinds of discounts does that offers?

I'm pretty sure I'd buy enough games this year to make it worth it. but I could also just wait to E3 to have a similar discount on all games without having tp shell out 80$ for it...is there something else worth it? I read about people using Best Buy GCU with Visa checkout, is this only in the US? If not, what kinds of discounts does that offers?

You also get access to the Amazon streaming site. Maybe there are other things you can buy online, besides games? Also, the e3 discount is by no means guaranteed. It's possible that Prime will get you the best discount during that time anyway.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Are there a bunch of games releasing in the next month and a half that you planned on buying at full price? If not then there's no point getting Prime before E3. Wait to see what retailers will do this year then decide.

Yes, GCU is US only.

kennah

I have Amazon prime because it basically pays for itself after not needing to drive to the city four times for something.

kevin1025

Banned

If you have a student e-mail, you can halve the price with Amazon Prime Student. My old university e-mail worked for it. As Fuzzy said, if nothing too interesting is coming between now and mid-June, maybe hold off and see what E3 brings this year. Release day delivery seems to be 50/50 on the pre-orders I currently have, which is a bummer. But I also wanted Prime Video and all of the Amazon shows, so it kind of pays for itself with that alone.

But yeah, I'd say wait two months and see what's up with E3, then make the choice from there. Unless you really want Prey or Rime or Mario Kart for 20% off.

Deals fam, does anyone know of any decent phone plans? I wanna get off shite freedom mobile and get a S8 on a new plan. Shocked to see what the prices for plans on the big three are like though.

Deals fam, does anyone know of any decent phone plans? I wanna get off shite freedom mobile and get a S8 on a new plan. Shocked to see what the prices for plans on the big three are like though.

You have your own phone? Good! That opens more doors for deals. Public Mobile is pretty darn awesome. Owned by Telus so reception is perfect.

eyesradar

Holy shit BASED Amazon Japan and DHL. Released in Japan on Thursday. Arrived at my front door on Saturday morning. FOR $5!! (Plus $4 duties and taxes) the new Global shipping thing that amazon.co.jp is AWESOME!

kB7Ad2jl.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to mention the total of this order is cheaper than DL version in the JP eShop due to the preorder discount they offer. :p

snack

Holy shit BASED Amazon Japan and DHL. Released in Japan on Thursday. Arrived at my front door on Saturday morning. FOR $5!! (Plus $4 duties and taxes) the new Global shipping thing that amazon.co.jp is AWESOME!

kB7Ad2jl.jpg

That's awesome! Could you explain what the new global shipping thing is? Sounds like a sweet way to get things from overseas.

True Fire

Amazon Prime really does pay for itself. You can even use it for household stuff, groceries, clothes, etc. And it has a Netflix equivalent included

So the most surprising thing about it for me was the number of small items I now purchase via Amazon. There are a lot of small, common items that are cheaper on Amazon than in grocery stores but that I wouldn't otherwise purchase from Amazon due to the minimum dollar limit for free shipping.

The discounted games is a cherry on top of something I already find worth it *just* to remove the minimum dollar limit for purchases. I've probably saved > $100 CAD in 3-4 months on small item purchases vs what I would pay in stores. Add in 20% off diapers (I have a baby boy), and 20% off new/pre-order games, and it is easily paying for itself.

I'm also using the unlimited photo storage quite heavily, and from time to time I'll watch Amazon Video but I generally don't watch that much. No time to watch much of anything with a newborn. Or play all these games I've purchased... :(

Just don't ever compare it to Amazon Prime in the US (well, don't compare Amazon.ca to Amazon.com in general, really) or you might feel like you're being ripped off. Amazon.com is basically the only thing I'm jealous of the US for. That and shipping is just so much better there, but all of us in this thread already know this :p

eyesradar

That's awesome! Could you explain what the new global shipping thing is? Sounds like a sweet way to get things from overseas.

So basically Amazon Japan now offers Global Shipping and custom pre-clearance for some of their first party stuff like books, consoles, video games and CDs etc. The shipping is fulfilled by DHL. More importantly you can use your Canadian card to pay for your order. Good first party prices too.

After this time I'll definitely give them more business. Now I'm somehow converted. :p

Nicodemic

kB7Ad2jl.jpg

Nice! What's the card for? Exclusive card for a game?

kB7Ad2jl.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to mention the total of this order is cheaper than DL version in the JP eShop due to the preorder discount they offer. :p

Amazon Japan is pretty S-Tier now with their global shipping. I pre-ordered Persona 5 back when it launched in Japan. Shipped out Tuesday of release, arrived Thursday. It's great to have another easy option since Ami Ami can be inconvenient at times (no cancellations)

kB7Ad2jl.jpg

Amazon Japan is pretty S-Tier now with their global shipping. I pre-ordered Persona 5 back when it launched in Japan. Shipped out Tuesday of release, arrived Thursday. It's great to have another easy option since Ami Ami can be inconvenient at times (no cancellations)

Can you change languages to english in these versions or do you guys speak Japanese?

farisr

If Best Buy GCU was a thing in Canada, you'd rarely see Amazon Prime mentions in this thread.

Anyways, for me, it was the included Twitch subscription that sold it. I subscribe to Easy Allies on Twitch anyways at $5 a month. So that's $60 value of amazon prime justified already. $30 for discounts on games that didn't have their listing up during E3 deals, faster shipping for all orders and what not, was worth it for me.

eyesradar

Can you change languages to english in these versions or do you guys speak Japanese?

they do have a new English / Mandarin storefront now.

If you use desktop website there should be a prompt that auto-detects your language preference base off your browser/OS setting.

If you use mobile website just scroll down to the bottom of the page to find this:

sF4KR6Bl.jpg

Click on the "日本語" option then this page will show up:

KUb9uSkl.jpg

From there you can change the language settings.

EDIT: Oh sorry you mean in-game language settings. Most of the releases in Japan is Japanese only but as the Japanese console gaming industry is decling pretty badly, Japanese publishers nowadays tend to include Asian language options in their games. Actually this is the first time an FE installment to include Chinese languages in the initial release following Pokémon Sun/Moon.

Amazon Prime really does pay for itself. You can even use it for household stuff, groceries, clothes, etc. And it has a Netflix equivalent included

The Netflix "equivalent" is trash. There is a shockingly sparse lineup of movies and TV shows on Amazon Prime Video in Canada. Netflix is 10x better.

early90spants

Neo Member
Emailed support about the Crash Trilogy price and this is what they said.

Hello from Amazon.ca,

I'm sorry to hear that you have received only $6 as a prime discount.

Please accept my sincere apologies for this.

I've checked and see that due to some technical error the discount has applied partially.

In this case, I've checked and see that your order haven't shipped yet this being the case we were unable to apply the discount for this order.

Since your business in important to us, I'll personally followup with this issue, once your order ships out I'll apply the discount in the form of refund and write back to you with the refund confirmation email.

I've set a reminder to get back to you regarding our conversation today.

I appreciate your patience while I continue to work on this matter.

I look forward to following up with you soon.

What?

kB7Ad2jl.jpg

Was it really worth it to import a game that's releasing here next month?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom