• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announced Resident Evil 4 for PS2

Brofist

UltimateMarioMan said:
Until Capcom comes out and says it (Not some picture on a website in a language I can't read) I look on this as another rumor. And even if true late 2005 compared to very early 2005 is a long time. It could even slip to early 2006. By then everyone will be oohing and ahing the X-Box 2 and RE4 will be considered an outdated port. Sure you Sony fanboys wait until the PS2 version, I'll have beaten it and unlocked all the secret stuff been wowed by its awesomeness and moved on to another great GC game(Zelda hopefully) by then.

I'm looking forward to RE4, but it's too bad you wont be able to play the best Capcom released game next year.

Not all Sony fanboys are going to wait for a port...

I know I'll play it on GC.
I'm refering to the ones who can't decide weather it sucks or rocks. Its like PS/PS2 = It rocks and is awesome and keeps getting better GC = Sucks and is a dying series to them.

A voice of reason from IGNCube:

I honestly hope people from capcom start dying now. I don't care, let it be by car accident or being murdered, i seriously want them to suffer for this crap, cause they screwed nintendo over for so long. I really just want someone to shoot capcom employees and game producers and all the important people who work at capcom. Let some kind of OMen go across there heads. I REALLY want people to start dying.

I really can't stand this stuff, Capcom may have made good gamnes but nowadays they are just terrible....

I swear, IGN Insider is worth the money just for days like this.

Speevy

Banned
Which makes one dumber, the belief that this somehow dooms the Gamecube or the belief that this game could have saved it?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
UltimateMarioMan said:
I'm refering to the ones who can't decide weather it sucks or rocks. Its like PS/PS2 = It rocks and is awesome and keeps getting better GC = Sucks and is a dying series to them.

<sigh> As if you didn't know yet... the rule is

Title on PS2 are automatically > Same title on GC.

It's called the Kiddie Theorem.

Research on the possible existence of the theorem was done last generation, but was only recently confirmed to be true this generation.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

You know that door swings both ways, right? You have fanboys from every platform doing that very thing...

It's not just PS2 fans, as you seem to think...

jarrod

Banned
This thread deserves a list. :)

-Resident Evil (PlayStation) 1996
-Resident Evil (Sega Saturn) 1997
-Resident Evil (PC/Windows) 1997
-Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PlayStation) 1997
-Resident Evil 2 (PlayStation) 1998
-Resident Evil 2 (Game.com) 1998
-Resident Evil: Director's Cut Dual Shock Edition (PlayStation) 1998
-Resident Evil 2 Dual Shock Edition (PlayStation) 1998
-Resident Evil 2 (PC/Windows) 1999
-Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PlayStation) 1999
-Resident Evil 2 (Nintendo 64) 1999
-Resident Evil 2 (Dreamcast) 1999
-Resident Evil Code: Veronica (Dreamcast) 2000
-Resident Evil Survivor (PlayStation) 2000
-Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (Dreamcast) 2000
-Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PC/Windows) 2000
-Resident Evil Code: Veronica Perfect (Dreamcast) 2001
-Resident Evil Code: Veronica X (PlayStation 2) 2001
-Resident Evil Survivor 2: Code Veronica (Naomi) 2001
-Resident Evil Gaiden (Game Boy Color) 2001
-Resident Evil Survivor 2: Code Veronica (PlayStation 2) 2001
-Resident Evil (GameCube) 2002
-Resident Evil Survivor (PC/Windows) 2002
-Resident Evil 0 (GameCube) 2002
-Resident Evil 2 (GameCube) 2003
-Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (GameCube) 2003
-Resident Evil: Dead Aim (PlayStation 2) 2003
-Resident Evil Code: Veronica X (GameCube) 2003
-Resident Evil Outbreak (PlayStation 2) 2003
-Resident Evil Outbreak: File #2 (PlayStation 2) 2004
-Resident Evil 4 (GameCube) 2005
-Resident Evil 4 (PlayStation 2) 2005

-Resident Evil 2 *1st version* (PlayStation) canceled
-Resident Evil 2 (Sega Saturn) canceled
-Resident Evil 0 (Nintendo 64) canceled
-Resident Evil (Game Boy Color) canceled
-Resident Evil Online (Dreamcast) canceled
-Resident Evil 4 *1st version* (PlayStation 2) canceled
-Resdient Evil 4 *2nd version* (GameCube) canceled

... I wonder if PSP, DS or Xenon will see any RE love in the near future?

maskrider

Speevy said:
Which makes one dumber, the belief that this somehow dooms the Gamecube or the belief that this game could have saved it?

Which thread said there is not enough die hard fans these days ? :D

RE4 suddenly took the spot light.

dark10x

OK, the thread is now complete. A jarrod list has finally arrived. :)

That's whole lotta RE, though... :eek:

dark10x said:
Yes, I'm aware of that. I still don't think that it presents a problem...

It may need to be engineered differently, but I believe it could be done. Also, the actual realtime light sources are likely per-vertex...

Yeah, I guess your right. I'm just enjoying the debate, although I do believe there will be some visual differences that will be noticeable.

Redbeard

Banned
There's a story up at IGN

http://cube.ign.com/articles/562/562367p1.html

When statements were made regarding GCN exclusivity, they were true at the time they were said. However, it was a recent executive decision from Capcom Japan to begin development of the game for the PS2," a spokesperson for the company maintained.

"In order to satisfy the demands from Resident Evil fans and Capcom's desire to introduce the series to new gamers worldwide, the decision was made to bring the title to PS2."

"The GameCube version will release on January 11th for the US. All efforts are focused on making the GCN game as big a success as possible. Also, gamers will only be able to play RE4 on the GCN for quite a while, so we encourage people to enjoy the exclusivity period."

Asked if the under-development PS2 version of RE4 would be dramatically different from the GCN one, Capcom said: "The PS2 version is currently in development so we can not comment on specifics at this time. However, Capcom's development team will certainly strive to maximize the special characteristics of the PS2 hardware as they develop the game for that system."

Capcom is not slamming the door on other, future ports, either. "The possibility of Resident Evil 4 coming to the Xbox has yet to be determined," a company rep replied when quizzed on the subject.

Ramirez

Color me surprised if the PS2 can actually handle the graphics...I'll be playin it on NGC anyways,it pays to me a multi console gamer :p

Capcom is not slamming the door on other, future ports, either. "The possibility of Resident Evil 4 coming to the Xbox has yet to be determined," a company rep replied when quizzed on the subject.

holy fuck. that if allowed to transpire is BAD.

I see Bill Gates taking out his cheque book when he reads the above.

Game over Gamecube. Its been fun

Kon Tiki

Banned
You know, it would be a smart move for Capcom to make 2 version of RE4, not just a port. Just like the old 16bit days, when snes ans genesis has different versions of the same game.

It's 'bout as bad as it could be
Seems everybody's buggin' me
Like nothing want to go my way--
yeah, it just ain't been my day
Nothin's comin' easily

[Chorus:]
Up--up--up--
Can only go up from here
Up--up--up--Up
where the clouds gonna clear
Up--up--up--
There's no way but up from here

:)

Kon Tiki

Banned
bitwise said:
anyone else planning to unload their GC this holiday after prime 2? :D
I do. I plan on selling my gcn, then buying it again when there is a game I want in a month or so, then sellling it again. By the end of 2006 I would of bought 20 gcns lifetime.

nitewulf

eh, boy you guys are pretty cruel. with the PSP announcement and this news, i feel pretty bad for nintendo.
but as for me, i was hopong for this sort of an announcement regarding RE4, not expecting mind you, but hoping. now i am glad i'll be able to play it without any hassle, and can buy it for my collection. i just hope the port is handled well. by the way, the port should lead to a whole bunch of graphical debates next year, so there is a bright side to all this eh?

jett

D-Member
I don't think we'll see much of a downgrade in the port. It's not like the GC version has uber-detailed textures. :p SH3 has better character models, and that Demento game looks fairly similiar to RE4.

SantaC

re4_110104_pwned.jpg

:/

gunstarhero

Ug...

Watching the GC die has been a LONG painful process - pull the plug already, jesus man, hasn't it suffered enough... poor Nintendo.

Atleast the DC died a quick death.

dark10x

SantaCruZer said:
the GC version should be superior. For once it's optimized for that system, and PS2 gets a port.

Way to post the obvious there...

Why exactly did you post that?

Also, anyone have a list of what's coming on the Cube over the next year?

dark10x said:
Way to post the obvious there...

Why exactly did you post that?

Off the top of my head, these games at the very least:

Paper Mario 2 (europe doesnt have it yet)
Metroid Prime 2
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
Odama
Geist
Starfox 2
Mortal Kombat: Deception (Gamecube extras thanks to dire lateness)
Advance Wars: Under Fire
Fire Emblem
Mario Party 6 and Microphone
Mario Power Tennis
The Legend of Zelda (2005, no subtitle yet)

There should be an offical GA poll:

Who's buying this as soon as it comes out, 2005.
Who's buying this the Christmas after the coming Christmas. 2005.

I know what I'm doing. And no, Drinky Crow. It's not buying a PS2.

nitewulf

dark10x said:
WARNING!!!!, an onslought of photoshops coming this way!!!
hit the weak spot for bonus points!
increase points more by chaining!!!!
I FEEL GOOD!

11/01 The Polar Express

11/02 Armada 2: Star Command
Intellivision Lives!
Pinball Hall of Fame
Spyro: A Hero's Tail
The Lord of the Rings, The Third Age

11/08 Mario Power Tennis

11/09 Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
The Urbz: Sims in the City

11/15 Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Need for Speed Underground 2
Room Zoom

11/16 Alien Hominid
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Call of Duty: Finest Hour
King Arthur
Scaler

11/17 GoldenEye: Rogue Agent

11/23 Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2005 Adventures
Judge Dredd: Dredd Versus Death
Viewtiful Joe 2

11/30 Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

12/06 Mario Party 6

12/21 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2

1/07 NFL Street 2

1/11 Resident Evil 4
Virtua Quest

1/14 World Championship Poker

2/15 Mortal Kombat: Deception
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2

2/28 Killer 7

3/01 Geist

6/01 Advance Wars: Under Fire
Fire Emblem

8/24 Digimon World 4

??/?? DK: Jungle Beat
??/?? Legend of Zelda
??/?? Starfox 2
??/?? Odama

dark10x

Ah, that helps.

I was thinking that Prime 2, RE4, and Zelda were the only announced GC titles that I was interested in. I totally forgot about Baten Kaitos!

jarrod

Banned
There's other multiplatform GC games (Splinter Cell 3, Batman Begins, etc) missing from those lists. I'd expect strong EA, UbiSoft, THQ & Activision support throughout 2005 at least... EA will probably hang on into 2006.

Japan support has really wound down though... even long time Nintendo supporters like Hudson and Konami seem pretty much finished with the platform. :/

SantaC

jarrod said:
There's other multiplatform GC games (Splinter Cell 3, Batman Begins, etc) missing from those lists. I'd expect strong EA, UbiSoft, THQ & Activision support throughout 2005 at least... EA will probably hang on into 2006.

Japan support has really wound down though... even long time Nintendo supporters like Hudson and Konami seem pretty much finished with the platform. :/

Konami has never really supported the Cube.

dark10x

Why are you excited if it's is obvious sherlock?

Same reason I was excited about seeing Splinter Cell PS2...

I'm interested in seeing what kind of job the system can do.

SantaC

dark10x said:
Same reason I was excited about seeing Splinter Cell PS2...

I'm interested in seeing what kind of job the system can do.

Ok now it's more clear. "I have one why did you post that" up on you though.

SantaC

dark10x said:
You sound insulted and/or pissed for some reason. :p

Yeah, you know, I am holding back my feelings when I read all the bad things that has happend to Nintendo in like a span of 3-4 days. :p

Razoric

Banned
Society said:
For when Japan announces PS3 and XBOX2 software? Leaving GCN with shit all?

Japan...
announce...
XBOX2...
software...
?
?
?
?
error...
does not compute...
end program...

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
"When statements were made regarding GCN exclusivity, they were true at the time they were said."
CAPCOM LIED!! NBOTS CRIED!!!

That is pure, 100% grade, bullshit. How can a game be "exclusively" in-development for a system but not actually exclusively released on that system? Gee! Sure enjoyed that 24 months of "exclusive! only-on-gamecube!" anticipation.

Top Bottom