• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

They really nailed the way captain america move in this, not just the fights, but the way he moves whether its running, doing his acrobatic stuff and all, also every action he did seems very calculated, I remember hearing someone mention that the super soldier serum also make captain america's brain to work faster so he think stuff like strategy faster too even during fights andI think the mobie really nails it without needing stuff like slowmo to show his thought process and stuff. Captain America in this movie give the impression that he's very aware of his surrounding, he always keep track of where his shield is, like throw it to someone have it bounce multiple times while he slides and kicking other guy when it finish the shield is right where he ends up is, and he did this stuff while running full speed to his objectives. And captain america runs a LOT in this movie.Film like bourne show you jason bourne can take down 4-5 guys in seconds,this captain america feels like he can run a hallway filled with 10s of enemy in seconds and when he reach the end of the hallway all those guys are knocked out. Lolust finished watching it, So Good, just want to share my thought from the OT Thread

antonz

They better make a Dr. Strange movie.

Quick question: Judging by all the critical praise, do you guys think the Russo brothers will return for Cap 3?

Edit: Nevermind, just read they are confirmed for Cap 3. That is very good news.

Yep early buzz etc was so high and the studio impressed with what they saw they locked them in before the movie even came out. excellent move too

Ovid

10 Rings
AIM
Hammer Industries
Military Branch Trying to get control of Banner?

Anything else Hydra could've been up to?
Why would Hydra try to get in bed with Hammer when they could've just approached Stark before he was captured?

I know you're thinking maybe Obadiah was an agent of Hydra. But he was later working against The Ten Rings. But I guess you can then say he was a Hydra turncoat and wanted Stark Industries for himself?

Interesting take I guess.

inky

I think this is something that as comic book fans we should be used to by now. Characters have their own comics that yes, more powerful friends and allies in that universe can't just jump into every time they have a solitary adventure and things are getting dicey.

Getting into the 'what if's' are pointless, as this was a Captain America film not a Iron Man or Hulk film. A suspension of disbelief is needed.

You'd think so, but we always get these complaints. Every movie might as well be an Avengers movie and every comic should include every character there ever was or "it doesn't make sense". I mean, yes, the Hulk is the strongest one there.is, so whenever someone needs to be punched he should just jump into the frame, deliver the punch and then leave the movie. That would be better.

Also, Rhodey mentions in IM3 that they don't want anyone else involved (not SHIELD or other superheroes) because it is making the goverment look weaker every time there is a threat. And I mean, if they hinted at Hydra every movie that has gone by, it would deflate the punch and the surprise of this particular movie, so why do people want that experience ruined for themselves? I like what they do of bringing back a few characters and have others in the continuity (like Sitwell) to tie those things together.

At least they are trying to explain why, which is welcome and reasonable. Hydra's years of infiltrating SHIELD might be a little too much to explain (and believe) in one single movie, I agree, but I think they did a terrific job of adding that weight to the MCU in an impactful manner.

jmood88

I think this is something that as comic book fans we should be used to by now. Characters have their own comics that yes, more powerful friends and allies in that universe can't just jump into every time they have a solitary adventure and things are getting dicey.

Getting into the 'what if's' are pointless, as this was a Captain America film not a Iron Man or Hulk film. A suspension of disbelief is needed.

And as far as Captain America goes, he didn't really have a way to contact anyone without Shield immediately knowing where he was. I don't think he's close enough to Stark, Banner, or Thor to have a secret line of communication with them, either and as far as he knew, Stark could've been in on the whole thing (he was the one who made the engines for the helicarriers after all).

kurahador

And as far as Captain America goes, he didn't really have a way to contact anyone without Shield immediately knowing where he was. I don't think he's close enough to Stark, Banner, or Thor to have a secret line of communication with them, either and as far as he knew, Stark could've been in on the whole thing (he was the one who made the engines for the helicarriers after all).

Cap already said it in the movie, he contacted Falcon because he's the only one he knows that's not on SHIELD's radar.

Dai101

Banned
Government officials?
Well the Us president from iron man3 counts? He appears on the monitor for a brief second.

I mean under HYDRA. Like that sleazy senator that also wanted the Iron Man tech.

Did anyone else find that scene with Peggy to be absolutely heartbreaking? It really came out of nowhere and really got to me.

That scene hit really hard. I figured it'd just been a given that she'd died between the 70 years, but then the documentary shows up and then she's shown to be alive. It was so surreal and kind of saddening. Like, what is there really to say to each other? But she's there to motivate Steve to live.

And then her age brings with her short term memory loss. As someone who has seen it happen in real life, it was really gutwrenching to witness.

Yep. I choked at that scene and got watery eyes when the alzheimer kicked in and think to myslf that it wasn't the first time Steve visited her and is in constant care of her, even if she don't remember that. ;_________;

All signs point to Dr Strange being the second 2016 Phase 3 movie.

Dormammu has to be the villain. They put him in MvC3 for a reason!

For this probably:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txOFI_og4tE

Ithil

Sucks to be Skye in Agents of SHIELD, she just got made a SHIELD agent at last in this week's episode, and next week SHIELD is gonna get destroyed, since the episode took place right before TWS started.

Sooo...where does this fit in with regards to the phase 2 movies? I assume it's set after IM3 and T2 but then we have Pierce talking about having Iron Man appear at his niece's birthday party.

Safe to assume that Tony decided to jump back into the suit after a short break?

Sooo...where does this fit in with regards to the phase 2 movies? I assume it's set after IM3 and T2 but then we have Pierce talking about having Iron Man appear at his niece's birthday party.

Safe to assume that Tony decided to jump back into the suit after a short break?

Pierce thought that Fury can force Tony to make another suit? Looking at how fast he made them in IM3 , its not hard for Pierce to believe that.

And does anyone else outside of Tony inner circle knows that he does not have any suits left?

Just for your pleasure, stolen from 4chan:

UcX6dpp.gif

This is so cool.

Sadist

Honestly, Pierce mentions that "he wants Tony to mingle at the party, not just a fly-by".

With the quick shot of Avengers Tower in TWS, I assume Tony has been holed up in there working on "re-inventing" himself. Put that together with Pierce's comment and it's probable that Tony's working on his new Iron Man design and possibly the thing that will lead to Ultron. He doesn't have the time to show himself in public.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Why would Hydra try to get in bed with Hammer when they could've just approached Stark before he was captured?

I know you're thinking maybe Obadiah was an agent of Hydra. But he was later working against The Ten Rings. But I guess you can then say he was a Hydra turncoat and wanted Stark Industries for himself?

Interesting take I guess.

Obadiah wasn't part of HAMMER. Hydra has just been stealthily and silently influencing almost every piece of war. To me this means helping push 10 Rings, HAMMER, AIM, etc. into action, either subtly or overtly. They just wanted constant disorder to finally get the approval of the world to make Project Insight and control it all.

I rather assume that he didnt talked yet with SHIELD about quitting being Iron Man.
If I were Tony, I wouldnt go to SHIELD and tell them.

Hmm, that's a very good point. I could see him keeping it a secret until people start to notice his absence.

Pierce thought that Fury can force Tony to make another suit? Looking at how fast he made them in IM3 , its not hard for Pierce to believe that.

And does anyone else outside of Tony inner circle knows that he does not have any suits left?

Which is why I was wondering about how much time had passed between IM3 and TWS. Is it possible that only a few weeks have passed and it's not widely known yet that Tony had quit being IM or are we so far along that he's gone back to being IM again?

Honestly, Pierce mentions that "he wants Tony to mingle at the party, not just a fly-by".

With the quick shot of Avengers Tower in TWS, I assume Tony has been holed up in there working on "re-inventing" himself. Put that together with Pierce's comment and it's probable that Tony's working on his new Iron Man design and possibly the thing that will lead to Ultron. He doesn't have the time to show himself in public.

That makes sense. I wish they'd at least acknowledge the time frame the movies are taking place in, so it's easier to figure out how far along each arc is...

And the Avengers tower was shown in TWS? I completely missed it. Guess that's a good a reason as any to watch it again over the weekend.

Uncle

Was Maria Hill's job interview at the end at the Avengers Tower too?

I think it was Stark Industries. So maybe? Depends if Stark has tied the two together or not. Can't remember how it was in the comics, or if it has ever even been established.

Jibbed

Was Maria Hill's job interview at the end at the Avengers Tower too?

You'd have to assume so, I think all we got from that shot was a glass door with 'Stark Industries' on it. As of Avengers Assemble, Tony seemed to be using it as his new HQ so that's probably a given.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think it was Stark Industries. So maybe? Depends if Stark has tied the two together or not. Can't remember how it was in the comics, or if it has ever even been established.
Stark and Hill hooked up, but she was never working at Starks Company. She was always a Agent of SHIELD.

Uncle

Stark and Hill hooked up, but she was never working at Starks Company. She was always a Agent of SHIELD.

No, I meant if Avengers Tower ever housed Stark Industries stuff or not. I'm more familiar with the Avengers Mansion from the comics and cartoons. Doesn't really matter, though since MCU does its own thing.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
No, I meant if Avengers Tower ever housed Stark Industries stuff or not. I'm more familiar with the Avengers Mansion from the comics and cartoons. Doesn't really matter, though since MCU does its own thing.

I read New Avengers 1 a couple of days ago and Tony sayed, that Avengers Tower was originally planed to be his appartment.

That has to come up at some point; it seems like something too major to just Throw It In.

They probably throw down in Avengers 3.

Sadist

I don't know, didn't Natasha throw out every bit of info there was on SHIELD during the movie? In the office I mean, when they face of with Pierce. I suppose that information got out as well and knowing Tony... he'll read everything about SHIELD and Hydra.

Dai101

Banned
I don't know, didn't Natasha throw out every bit of info there was on SHIELD during the movie? In the office I mean, when they face of with Pierce. I suppose that information got out as well and knowing Tony... he'll read everything about SHIELD and Hydra.

He's going to be pissed.

Obadiah wasn't part of HAMMER. Hydra has just been stealthily and silently influencing almost every piece of war. To me this means helping push 10 Rings, HAMMER, AIM, etc. into action, either subtly or overtly. They just wanted constant disorder to finally get the approval of the world to make Project Insight and control it all.

Just a quick note here - Hammer is not HAMMER.
The guy in Iron Man 2 was Justin Hammer (and his corporation that is named after him), who has been a long-standing rival of Stark in the books.
HAMMER was what Norman Osborn renamed SHIELD to when he took control of it during the events of Dark Avengers.

Stark Tower is a meant for Stark Industries first and foremost. He doesn't mind the Avengers using it as a base, and people informally calling it Avengers Tower, but it always was a Stark-based building.

IpsoFacto

Honest opinion?

The bad:
-Felt a bit like going through the motions;
-The Winter Soldier is MIA for most of the film;
-Nick Fury faking his death was seen coming a mile away;
-The whole Winter Soldier / Bucky confrontation was a little underdeveloped (ie started way too late into the movie);
-F*** that shaky cam;

The good:
-Captain America in full on action mode versus the 2-minute montage from the previous movie;
-Falcon;
-Everytime Black Widow and Caps were on the scene;
-Dramatically changes the status quo in MCU;
-Virtually every gun and fight scene;

Replicant

Wanda acts like Drusilla from "Buffy"/"Angel", not sure if that's how her character should act.

...and what am I doing in this thread?! 2 more days before I can see this and I already spoiled myself of the end credit sequence. smh

Wanda acts like Drusilla from "Buffy"/"Angel", not sure if that's how her character should act.

She's a kid realizing she has this kind of ability. I honestly don't know what kind of "acting" you would expect in a post-credits scene of a few seconds teasing an upcoming movie.

Replicant

She's a kid realizing she has this kind of ability. I honestly don't know what kind of "acting" you would expect in a post-credits scene of a few seconds teasing an upcoming movie.

I don't know. That's why I'm asking comic readers if that's how she acts in the book or if this is Joss reusing his character and transplanting it onto another character. It's not that I mind but I noticed Joss has a peculiar for half-crazy/emotionally stunted young girl character in his works (Drusilla, Fred, River) and a bit surprised to see Wanda act like that since that's not the impression I get from her comic illustration. She looks more like a sexually confident woman than a half-crazy girl in the comic.

I don't know. That's why I'm asking comic readers if that's how she acts in the book or if this is Joss reusing his character and transplanting it onto another character. It's not that I mind but I noticed Joss has a peculiar for half-crazy/emotionally stunted young girl character in his works (Drusilla, Fred, River) and a bit surprised to see Wanda act like that since that's not the impression I get from her comic illustration. She looks more like a sexually confident woman than a half-crazy girl in the comic.

If any character in the Marvel universe is half-crazy, it's Wanda. I actually would say she's outright crazy, or at least severely unstable. She often is confident when she is in control of herself and things are going well for her, but remember that we're talking about the woman who completely lost it and wiped out (basically) all of mutantkind with her reality warping powers.
Plus, both the Maximoff siblings are definitely nutty, they just express it differently. Pietro spazzing the fuck out is just as spot-on as Wanda's eerie kinda-crazy thing.

Top Bottom