• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Just for your pleasure, stolen from 4chan:

UcX6dpp.gif

:O is this real?

Uncle

Coluche... french clown.

Thanks.

"Oldboy"

Much agreed, and very appropriate. Just make sure it isn't the one with Nick Fury in it, Cap'.

Somebody is trolling Cap. Cap doesn't like
incest
, because he is so old fashioned.

Not at all. He felt like...Cap.

Anyways, did my folks from overseas actually get both post credit scenes? I remember we left one of them out for one of our previous films before it was released in the U.S.

Both of them were in the version I saw. It had the US list too.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Alright, I've updated my Modern Era comic book movie rankings. This is missing a couple movies that I didn't see (Ghost Rider, Catwoman). Also note that I'm a Spider-Man fanboy.

The Dark Knight
The Avengers (TIE)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (TIE)
Spider-Man 2
Batman Begins
X2: X-Men United
Spider-Man
Iron Man
X-Men First Class
Captain America
Thor
Amazing Spider-Man
The Dark Knight Rises
Iron Man 3
The Wolverine
Thor: The Dark World
Constantine
Watchmen
X-Men
Man of Steel
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Spider-Man 3
Superman Returns
Daredevil
X3: The Last Stand
Hulk
The Punisher: Warzone
The Punisher
Fantastic Four
Green Lantern
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Fantastic Four 2

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yeah, but even Pierce was talking about how many people they needed to kill with them. And the algorithm Zola made chose targets in the White House, Avengers tower and so on. I just find it hard to believe that the majority of people would have been "Oh well, I'm scared and SHIELD is awesome so all of those must have been bad people, so I'm ok with this."

SHIELD could just say it was The Ten Rings. Or someone else. SHIELD is very mighty, they could make this up easily.

Dai101

Banned
SHIELD could just say it was The Ten Rings. Or someone else. SHIELD is very mighty, they could make this up easily.

Now that we know the truth. Watching the first MCU movies makes you wonder how deep and what else HYDRA has been behind. Now i wonder what about, as you mentioned the 10 Rings and AIM. hmm.......

Moppeh

Banned
Alright, I've updated my Modern Era comic book movie rankings. This is missing a couple movies that I didn't see (Ghost Rider, Catwoman). Also note that I'm a Spider-Man fanboy.

That's a pretty good ranking. I haven't seen all of those movies, but I think my list would probably be rather similar.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Now i wonder what about, as you mentioned the 10 Rings and AIM. hmm.......

I hope they stay seperated. As far as I like all these connections, I would be more happy, when there is not only one big evil dude behind everything. But I can imagine, that they could reveal, that The 10 Rings and AIM were funded by Hydra.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Now that we know the truth. Watching the first MCU movies makes you wonder how deep and what else HYDRA has been behind. Now i wonder what about, as you mentioned the 10 Rings and AIM. hmm.......

10 Rings
AIM
Hammer Industries
Military Branch Trying to get control of Banner?

Anything else Hydra could've been up to?

I was surprised at them dissolving SHIELD. I wonder how that is going to play out on the TV show and upcoming movies.

I geeked out so much at the Stephen Strange name drop.

This + captain america escaping on the bike and taking down the mini helicarrier plane thing + Nazi AI + the Pulp Fiction reference + a whole bunch of things = Me having a great time.

For the next one they should have Nick Fury use the hologram suit just so they can have David Hasselhoff reprise his role one last time.

Dai101

Banned
I've been in a MCU movies (and One Shots) and damn, it's hard to see now Agent Sitwell knowing he's a mole and a traitor. I need to know what about Coulson and why is he so valuable to Fury.

Also, i needed this in TWS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxRKwKJI_uI

Shame it never came, but i'm good with what the movie delivered ::)

Protome

I'd bump the first Thor down significantly lower and Watchmen significantly higher, other than that your list is pretty much spot on for where my opinions lie too.
I'd also maybe move Green Lantern up a little, it was bad, but it wasn't X3 or Daredevil bad. But I also went into it with no hype not really knowing it was even coming out.

The Zola stuff and nobody seeming very confident about how the algorithm works makes me wonder if it's going to tie into Avengers 2 that way, with the "Algorithm" actually being a lot simpler and just being a list of targets that Ultron sent back from the future.

Just came back from it. Meh. guessed every story beat. Movie was okay, better than Cap 1 - but then again that isn't saying much. I enjoyed Thor 2 more, as at least that has a bit more of an identity.

Nothing wrong with the Cap himself, I kinda like his character. It's just the way they make these movies, it feels like they came right off the latest production belt in the marvel movie making factory.

Just came back from it. Meh. guessed every story beat. Movie was okay, better than Cap 1 - but then again that isn't saying much. I enjoyed Thor 2 more, as at least that has a bit more of an identity.

Nothing wrong with the Cap himself, I kinda like his character. It's just the way they make these movies, it feels like they came right off the latest production belt in the marvel movie making factory.

I keep hearing this complaint, but I don't get how that's any different than watching a TV show or miniseries. This is THAT, successfully done, in movie form.

antonz

Is Coulson post-death mentioned at all in this?

Nope. Officially Coulson is still dead as it was said the Avengers themselves weren't high enough on the security clearance to know. Coulson makes a point in the Sif episode to tell Sif not to tell Thor he is alive either as he wants to tell them himself.

Shit goes down before Coulson can return to base and see Fury too

kurahador

Nope. Officially Coulson is still dead as it was said the Avengers themselves weren't high enough on the security clearance to know. Coulson makes a point in the Sif episode to tell Sif not to tell Thor he is alive either as he wants to tell them himself.

Shit goes down before Coulson can return to base and see Fury too

It makes the most sense to announce Coulson's alive in Avengers 2, as I doubt everyone is watching every MCU stuff.

Saw this last night:

I love the ramifications for the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the setup for Age of Ultron we got here. Lots of really fun things and nods to future character appearances; wasn't expecting to see Zola again, especially not in "face on the telly" form. The namedropping of Stephen Strange made me grin like an idiot, can't wait for him to show up. Also the burned guy at the end is likely to become Baron Zemo, as a friend pointed out to me.

The action was really good, and really clear, impact conveyed really well. The whole highway sequence was fantastic. Plenty of welcome humour, too. Some striking use of actual filmmaking, with the shots complementing the themes. The shot of Cap in the elevator looking out over the city just after his meeting with Pierce was very striking. I think I'd put it level pegging with the original Iron Man as the best non-Avengers Marvel movie. Phase two has, so far, been amazing, though. Loved all three of its released films.

Complaints: Black Widow seems to be a different character entirely from the ones we saw in Iron Man 2 and The Avengers, but I might just be misremembering. The drama between Cap and "Winter Soldier" is very undercooked.

I was actually surprised just how much this tied into the original Captain America movie, especially given how completely different the tone was.

Damn, this was a fun movie. The action scenes were very well shot and were on a much smaller scale then the CGI fests some other Marvel had become which made it a lot better and easier to follow. They really captured the look and feel of superheroes being people with exceptional strength and agility without it becoming over the top. One thing I really liked was how Falcon flew and all his wing movements, it was much better looking then Iron Man or Thor buzzing all over the place in a blur.

The plot was not such a success, I think the Marvel franchise is crumbling under the weight of its own plot threads. If TWS took place without the rest in the same universe it would have worked much better, now it completely disregards things like how other superheroes like Iron Man or the Hulk would easily destroy the helicarriers and no indication was present in any of the previous movies or the TV series SHIELD was in fact a HYDRA front. It's becoming difficult to reconcile Thor and Cap being in the same universe while one never mentions HYDRA and the other ignores the existance of aliens.

TUROK

How light-hearted is this movie? One thing I don't like about the Marvel Studios movies is that they seem too afraid to take things seriously.

Salsa

bucky scene at the actual end of credits was so disappointing, I was thinking it might be Paul Rudd/Scott Lang trying to steal something :(

NotLiquid

Did anyone else find that scene with Peggy to be absolutely heartbreaking? It really came out of nowhere and really got to me.

That scene hit really hard. I figured it'd just been a given that she'd died between the 70 years, but then the documentary shows up and then she's shown to be alive. It was so surreal and kind of saddening. Like, what is there really to say to each other? But she's there to motivate Steve to live.

And then her age brings with her short term memory loss. As someone who has seen it happen in real life, it was really gutwrenching to witness.

Dabanton

The plot was not such a success, I think the Marvel franchise is crumbling under the weight of its own plot threads. If TWS took place without the rest in the same universe it would have worked much better, now it completely disregards things like how other superheroes like Iron Man or the Hulk would easily destroy the helicarriers and no indication was present in any of the previous movies or the TV series SHIELD was in fact a HYDRA front. It's becoming difficult to reconcile Thor and Cap being in the same universe while one never mentions HYDRA and the other ignores the existance of aliens.

I think this is something that as comic book fans we should be used to by now. Characters have their own comics that yes, more powerful friends and allies in that universe can't just jump into every time they have a solitary adventure and things are getting dicey.

Getting into the 'what if's' are pointless, as this was a Captain America film not a Iron Man or Hulk film. A suspension of disbelief is needed.

Besides, all the big events in mcu phase 2 so far happen really quick, in ironman 3, most of the movie is investigating where mandarin is, and when they went for final encounter, the vice president keep it covered. In thor 2, most film happen in asgard with the final battle happen in really short timeframe.

Same with winter soldier, they make a point that they don't know who to trust. So no reason for them to call tony stark.

Anyway, one of my fav moment is when one of the shield guy refuse to launch helicarrier and said captain's order. That was pretty cool. Some people said have bucky as cap america in the future, but he really can't replace steve rogers man.not even close

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Yea, that's what I thought as well.
He mentioned a list of people, I can't remember the other ones but Strange was the only one he mentioned by name as though he's been active in the movie MCU for a while.

He mentions Bruce Banner and Stephen Strange by name. I gasped out loud when he said Strange, and so did a few others in my cinema.

Cannot wait for the Blu-Ray to pore over that map of threats to HYDRA to see who else they're hinting at. Saw it again yesterday and the map zooms out too quickly to see anything but Anthony Stark.

Zelias

Banned
Yes, me and my friends I saw the movie with last night all squee'd at the mention of Doctor Strange.

Is his movie planned for phase 3?

All signs point to Dr Strange being the second 2016 Phase 3 movie.

Dormammu has to be the villain. They put him in MvC3 for a reason!

Namikaze1

They better make a Dr. Strange movie.

Quick question: Judging by all the critical praise, do you guys think the Russo brothers will return for Cap 3?

Edit: Nevermind, just read they are confirmed for Cap 3. That is very good news.

Top Bottom