• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
People are saying there are no tie-ins to Ultron, but I got the impression that Zola's "algorithm" is going to morph into the Ultron A.I. So much seemed to tie into that with Project Insight, for me at least.

I agree. Ultron's gonna be based on SHIELD/HYDRA tech, as opposed to being created by Stark, like everyone else seems to think.

Korten

Banned
Just saw it a few hours ago! Just amazing.

So I guess I wonder:

Do Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch have natural powers or were they created by Hydra? I don't think we were told...

Tizoc

Watched it last night and I really enjoyed it. Fun action popcorn flick. I also liked some of the hints:
Dr. Strange being name dropped
Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch at the end

Any other hints I missed out on?

Falcon was great in this movie and so was Winter Soldier, I take it a 3rd Cap movie would focus on WS and the HYDRA Remnants?

WOW what an amazing movie!!!!! The action was incredible, fight scenes top notch, just amazing.

Now Agents of SHIELD makes sense, the show has a purpose. Though what happens now that there is no SHIELD, they are agents of what. Next week should be nuts.

How crazy is it that they found a martial arts expert named Georges to play an obscure villain who's first name is Georges. GSP actually did pretty good in the movie.

Tobor

Did anyone else notice Black Widow wearing an arrow necklace in one scene? She's still sweet on Hawkeye.

The movie was of course top-notch, but I just wanted to share this little anecdote with you guys:

So the lights dim and the previews are about to start. The first warning sign was that the screen curtains started adjusting while the theater company intro was playing. Next thing we know, we're hearing the audio to the Days of Future Past trailer, but seeing nothing. This packed theater crowd starts to voice their complaints. Suddenly the video returns for the Spider-man trailer, and HOLY FUCK, they're playing a 3D print in a 2D showing. Shit hits the fan, people are losing their minds. Screen goes black, and a girl walks in:

Worker: "We apologize, we're trying to figure out what the problem is."

Entire theater: "IT'S IN 3D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Worker: lets out a very audible "...oh shit..." and bolts out of the theater to much laughter. Problem was soon fixed.

Probably one of the most memorable theater experiences for me. I was glad to be in a room where everyone seemed to share my disdain for 3D.

Tizoc

So I guess I wonder:

Do Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch have natural powers or were they created by Hydra? I don't think we were told...

In the comics they are Magneto's children, whether they will be refered to as such in this movie is unknown, but it's possible they could make them be cloned from him?

I agree. Ultron's gonna be based on SHIELD/HYDRA tech, as opposed to being created by Stark, like everyone else seems to think.
My theory is the algorithm has been adapting this whole time, and the Avengers only find out about it until Ultron starts targeting people -- which include the -- and trying to initiate the program for Project Insight, personally.

Tobor

In the comics they are Magneto's children, whether they will be refered to as such in this movie is unknown, but it's possible they could make them be cloned from him?

It's very much known. They can't mention Magneto, or that the twins are his kids, or anything else related to mutants or Xmen.

Viewt

So I guess I wonder:

Strucker referred to them as "survivors," right? Maybe, in the MCU, they received their powers as a result of an experiment/accident.

Just got out. I wasn't very impressed by the first CA but this was easily the best Marvel solo movie so far. Probably even a better movie than the Avengers thought that one is more "fun".

The only downside I can think of right now is that the Captain America movies continue to have to shove as many characters in as possible so none of the side characters (especially new ones) get too much development.

Those teases got my HYPED THO. Anyone got a link or remember the list of names they rambled off as being on the Zola algorithm? I got a few like Strange and Banner but I was too busy geekin to catch them all.

kurahador

Strucker referred to them as "survivors," right? Maybe, in the MCU, they received their powers as a result of an experiment/accident.

You know, I'd prefers if they keep it vague.
Comic fans will understand and probably got chuckle out of it and casual viewers probably won't mind much.

XAL

Maybe Wanda erased all the mutants out of existence and they're the last two left?

Dai101

Banned

Survivors (don't know of why, but apparently they're the only ones that remain) and then refers to them "It's not a world of spies anymore, not even a world of heroes. This is the age of miracles, doctor. There is nothing more horrifying than a miracle!"

Those teases got my HYPED THO. Anyone got a link or remember the list of names they rambled off as being on the Zola algorithm? I got a few like Strange and Banner but I was too busy geekin to catch them all.

.........Bruce Banner, Stephen Strange, some high school kid....... that's what i got.

Vanos_of_Manos

Neo Member
Caught a showing tonight and I've gotta say, it's easily my favorite Marvel movie to date, and it's got a shot for taking the top spot for comics movies in general for me, though I'd need to watch it a few more times to really say that. Part of that's because I'm a big Cap fan to begin with and the Winter Soldier is one of my favorite arcs/characters, but it's also because everything from the action to the story to the acting was just perfect for me.

The best part for me was how they finally gave us Cap fighting and using his shield like he does in the comics with some crazy rebounds, and fully using his super strength and conditioning. The only thing that trumped it was THEN making the Winter Soldier a huge badass and giant threat by having him repeatedly go toe-to-toe with Cap. The Cap fanboy in me cheered like mad during that.

End Credits Observation: Using Von Strucker in connection to the twins is actually pretty interesting not just because it introduces them to us, but because he can actually take Magneto's place as their father. He is, after all, the father of twin mutants (Fenris, aka Andrea and Andreas Von Strucker) as well who might very well be tied up over at Fox Studios along with the X-Men due to them being mutants and former X-Men villains. If so, it's a pretty clever workaround on Marvel's part and one I approve of.

I do like the fact that he also seems like more than just a throwaway cameo villain in AoU as many feared he might just be, and with his ties to AIM it's possible he might have more to do with Ultron than many people believed. It's obvious they're not going the comics route with Ultron, and it's been repeatedly hinted it would tie back to Stark-tech. AIM's certainly stolen their fair share of Stark tech in the comics: I could see Ultron turning out to be an AIM experiment with the JARVIS AI gone horribly rogue.

jmood88

Just got back from seeing this. I'll definitely be glued to the television for the rest of the season for 'Agents of SHIELD' now, just to see how that show deals with this fallout. Good job on finally getting that synergy, Marvel.

Great film. Winter Soldier was what Kai Leng should have been in Mass Effect 3.

Kai_Leng_Profile.jpg

Haha, I thought the same thing. Whoever designed the mask must've played Mass Effect 3 first.

No plans on seeing this (maybe when it hits Netflix) but can someone bullet point the big MCU spoilers? Any new character mentions or reveals? Plots? Cameos? Anything else?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Haha, I thought the same thing. Whoever designed the mask must've played Mass Effect 3 first.

Actually whoever designed Mass Effect 3 must have read the comic this movie was based off. They basically lifted his design from the movie exactly from the comic book.

No plans on seeing this (maybe when it hits Netflix) but can someone bullet point the big MCU spoilers? Any new character mentions or reveals? Plots? Cameos? Anything else?

HYDRA infiltrates SHIELD, and Captain America blows up both HYDRA and SHIELD.
Nick Fury is wearing sunglasses now and he's in Europe until his next movie appearance.
Bad guy with monocle and german accent has the Loki Pokey stick and is doing things with it.
Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are in boxes by Bad guy with monocle.
Winter Soldier will now be embarking on a 9 movie quest to make amends for bad things.
Hawkeye is jealous of Rogers' perfection and Black Widow wanting Cocktain Absmerica and spends the movie locked in his apartment sobbing.

NoTacos

Winter Soldier fight sequences stole the show, but you I can't be the only person that was excited to see Georges St Pierre fight Cap on screen. He even threw the trademark superman punch!

I'm sitting in the parking lot outside of the theater, my mind obviously blown by the fucking amazing movie I just saw, and one thought keeps standing out:

I just heard Garry Shandling and Robert Redford say "Hail Hydra". I can't believe how awesome that is.

Same, I was my jaw literally dropped when Redford said that in the last scene.

dabig2

So just got back and HOLY SHIT! This might be my favorite comic book movie. This utterly eviscerates Cap 1 and every other Marvel movie except for IM1 and Avengers, and I think I might place this one above those 2. How the hell did a couple of tv comedy directors nail all that action. Freaking amazing. It was so intense at parts that I was literally holding my breath in excitement. Didn't even want to blink lest I miss even a frame.

Everyone was awesome in this Cap, Bucky, Falcon, Natasha, Fury, Hill, etc. Dr. Strange reference had people in the theater muttering excitedly too.I mean...I got to go to bed before I fanboy too hard. Thank you based Feige and Russo brothers.

Hail Hydra!

Anyone think falcon is kinda useless? I mean he looks really cool flying like that and I like the character interacting with Steve, but he had no firepower, most of the time it's just him dodging bullet with occasionally landing to shoot guys with his guns.

Anyone think falcon is kinda useless? I mean he looks really cool flying like that and I like the character interacting with Steve, but he had no firepower, most of the time it's just him dodging bullet with occasionally landing to shoot guys with his guns.

He really added very little to the movie itself. For the purposes of the Avengers, it might have been more beneficial to flesh out Hawkeye and put him in the movie instead.

The fight scenes were great, but the shaky cam really had a way of fucking things up.

Damn, and I thought CTU had mole problems lol

Anyway, I loved the movie. Gave me a case of the feels near the end. It had MGS3 final boss fight written all over it ;_;7

BlazinAm

He really added very little to the movie itself. For the purposes of the Avengers, it might have been more beneficial to flesh out Hawkeye and put him in the movie instead.

The fight scenes were great, but the shaky cam really had a way of fucking things up.
shaky cam, when they were flying?

MechDX

I got all giddy at the Steven Strange reference. The first part of the movie on the ship was really good but I had a hard time seeing the action cause of the darkness. Was it just the theater I was at or was it really dark?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely incredible film. Probably the best Marvel film so far. The scope, the magnitude, the espionage...it had everything!

So glad I caught the IMAX release and got that sweet poster.

On another note...this happened.

V5IHkdC.png

I hope it's later revealed that Hawkeye is on assignment to track down Strucker and maybe the one who freed the twins.

DIdn't love the way the movie ended at the VERY end: "Let's go find my friend!" CUT TO CREDITS
Felt pretty abrupt and oddly unsatisfying, but everything else about the end was great.

Didn't love the after credits scene either. Maybe I'm too deep into the Marvel news, but I already knew about Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch, so that wasn't really unexpected at all. Usually those scenes make me go "OH SHIT THAT JUST HAPPENED!" Like: "OH DANG, LOKIES BACK, or OH DANG, THAT's THANOS, or OH DANG, THAT'S BENICIO DEL TORO!"
This scene I was more like: "OK, here's a badguy, they've got Loki's staff, and they've got two random mutants. That's weird."

Pretty much any action scene? The camera was hardly still.
I have no problem with the camera, there are some shakes, but the actions are still very readable, I can still easily follow the action to the small detail like wintersoldier switching hand with his knives.

I hope it's later revealed that Hawkeye is on assignment to track down Strucker and maybe the one who freed the twins.

From what I've read based on the set photos, that seems almost certain to be the case for me.

To me it wasn't that bad. I dunno felt more like fast cuts but I felt the action was really clear, Maybe I was tired or something. I'll see it again tomorrow/ today.

I have no problem with the camera, there are some shakes, but the actions are still very readable, I can still easily follow the action to the small detail like wintersoldier switching hand with his knives.

I don't want to gripe too hard, I mean, the action scenes were entertaining as heck to watch. I was just annoyed at times that they didn't keep the camera still so we could observe the choreography a little more.

antonz

Falcon makes sense as Caps sidekick because he really is Caps sidekick in comics. Really liked the direction they went with him too being Military who could relate to Cap and the experiences.

Helps put into place a quick showing of mutual respect and establishes why Sam would so easily follow Steve

MechDX

Kind of fitting since it was Quicksilver, Scarlett Witch and Hawkeye that replaced Iron Man, Thor, Wasp and Giant Man is the first Avengers line up change.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
DIdn't love the way the movie ended at the VERY end: "Let's go find my friend!" CUT TO CREDITS
Felt pretty abrupt and oddly unsatisfying, but everything else about the end was great.

Didn't love the after credits scene either. Maybe I'm too deep into the Marvel news, but I already knew about Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch, so that wasn't really unexpected at all. Usually those scenes make me go "OH SHIT THAT JUST HAPPENED!" Like: "OH DANG, LOKIES BACK, or OH DANG, THAT's THANOS, or OH DANG, THAT'S BENICIO DEL TORO!"
This scene I was more like: "OK, here's a badguy, they've got Loki's staff, and they've got two random mutants. That's weird."

There was another scene right after it, that was either setting up the next Cap movie, a Black Widow movie (if you know the relationship between her and Bucky in the comics you'll get this) or a Winter Soldier movie.

Korten

Banned
Anyone else noticed that Quicksilver looked a lot buffer in the cell then he does in the AoU images?

Maybe it's just me...

Well there's that and the fact that he has white hair in the AoU images...

I Was just thinking, considering Howard Stark and Peggy help found SHIELD, I was wondering if they chose the name SHIELD after Captain America's Shield.

Yup, it was a lot more visually interesting than this.

i1Z9GnV85ZELt.gif

I loved the way they looked, are they being experimented on? Like did Hydra create them?

Good grief at that gif.

And yeah, I took it as them being experimented on. Von Strucker and his group seemed to have tapped the sceptres powers to create 'miracles'. I guess that's Marvel's way of getting around them not being able to use Mutants?

Top Bottom