• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Uncle

They were just really brutal with their response, which was completely out of character for SHIELD from previous films. Didn't really help HYDRA at all and it just motivated Captain America to find out more about the deeper conspiracy at play.

They [Hydra] were pretty smart for the last few decades, working in secret....then they just messed it up at that point.

Hydra didn't know how much Cap knew and couldn't take a chance. And since they made it look like Fury had gone rogue, Cap's close ties to him helped them to justify the man hunt.

Edit: what I did wonder was the dissonance with the speech by Pierce about how people are scared enough to be willing to give up their freedoms, when they failed before by trying to force it. And then their master plan is to kill millions of people, including a whole bunch of US citizens, on US soil, so that they wouldn't be a threat. Ok they could try to spin it by shouting "oh shit, domestic terrorism!", but come on... In fact they would have needed something like Cap attacking the helicarriers for it to even make a lick of sense.

Screenboy

I liked the movie. But I found it hard to believe that Cap would be SHIELD's first suspect after Nick Fury gets shot. I mean, come on---they battled freaking aliens together. Unless they could prove that Cap had some 1940s-nostalgia-induced craziness/trauma (which they couldn't), I couldn't think of a single justification for SHIELD to start hunting down Cap they way they did.

So what if Cap and Nick were in the same room together? Also SHIELD was just using so much excessive force against Cap (and yeah it makes for great action) but it just feels ludicrous. There was a point when one SHIELD agent was questioning it, I wondered how it is possible for everyone else not to question Pierce's orders. They just kinda went, um, okay, let's hunt down the guy who saved the entire planet a year or two ago. Without any real solid justification (a video feed, a letter, a note, anything).

That's about the only thing I don't like about the movie.

SHIELD are HYDRA so of course it makes sense for them to try and blame Cap?

Alienous

Hydra didn't know how much Cap knew and couldn't take a chance. And since they made it look like Fury had gone rogue, Cap's close ties to him helped them to justify the man hunt.

Edit: what I did wonder was the dissonance with the specch by Pierce about how people are scared enough to be willing to give up their freedoms, when they failed before by trying to force it. And then their master plan is to kill millions of people, including a whole bunch of US citizens, on US soil, so that they wouldn't be a threat. Ok they could try to spin it by shouting "oh shit, domestic terrorism!", but come on... In fact they would have needed something like Cap attacking the helicarriers for it to even make a lick of sense.

I thought that the idea was that people would be scared enough to allow drones to orbit their own cities willingly. The notion of entirely eliminating crime meaning that they allow SHIELD to have that power. At which point enforcing world domination is hardly a challenge.

Uncle

I thought that the idea was that people would be scared enough to allow drones to orbit their own cities willingly. The notion of entirely eliminating crime meaning that they allow SHIELD to have that power. At which point enforcing world domination is hardly a challenge.

Yeah, but even Pierce was talking about how many people they needed to kill with them. And the algorithm Zola made chose targets in the White House, Avengers tower and so on. I just find it hard to believe that the majority of people would have been "Oh well, I'm scared and SHIELD is awesome so all of those must have been bad people, so I'm ok with this."

FeD.nL

When they were in the Apple Store trying to decrypt the USB Black Widow says something along the lines of 'there's a complicated AI protecting the data that was programmed by a man much smarter then me'. At first I thought it was Zola but then again he doesn't work without his data centre, so was that AI written by Hank Pym?

When they were in the Apple Store trying to decrypt the USB Black Widow says something along the lines of 'there's a complicated AI protecting the data that was programmed by a man much smarter then me'. At first I thought it was Zola but then again he doesn't work without his data centre, so was that AI written by Hank Pym?
I did have a bit of an "Oh fuck Ultron tease?" moment. Though I do think it was just meant to be Zola

NotLiquid

I liked the movie. But I found it hard to believe that Cap would be SHIELD's first suspect after Nick Fury gets shot. I mean, come on---they battled freaking aliens together. Unless they could prove that Cap had some 1940s-nostalgia-induced craziness/trauma (which they couldn't), I couldn't think of a single justification for SHIELD to start hunting down Cap they way they did.

So what if Cap and Nick were in the same room together? Also SHIELD was just using so much excessive force against Cap (and yeah it makes for great action) but it just feels ludicrous. There was a point when one SHIELD agent was questioning it, I wondered how it is possible for everyone else not to question Pierce's orders. They just kinda went, um, okay, let's hunt down the guy who saved the entire planet a year or two ago. Without any real solid justification (a video feed, a letter, a note, anything).

That's about the only thing I don't like about the movie.

Steve was withholding information he received from Nick Fury and was also the sole suspect on the scene. For that matter it seems to be known that the two weren't necessarily on good terms, so it didn't necessarily paint a good picture of him. Since he wouldn't comply with SHIELD they had to take him by force. That said, like you said, I don't think most low-level people were okay with it. It's just orders they had to follow.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Differences between Steve's list:

To-DO.jpg

US version

BkDKXtXCMAAVUSR.jpg

UK version

Dai101

Banned

To-DO.jpg

US version

BkDKXtXCMAAVUSR.jpg

UK version

Here's the spanish (as in Spain) version:

oaulG25.jpg

Went last night to re-watch it and holy shit, i'm going to watch it at least 2 more times ;)

BTW: I coun't take a screen cap with my phone. I'll search for the Mexican/LA version somewhere.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I love how these were clearly hastily photoshopped by the VFX team XD

Quick question, did anyone feel that Cap was holding back throughout the movie? For example, there's a scene right at the end where he effortlessly picks up TWS with one hand (like a complete boss), but for the majority of the movie, he's seemingly holding back.

Not sure I like it...reminds me too much of Superman and him constantly holding back for fear of hurting people.

Pezking

To-DO.jpg

US version

BkDKXtXCMAAVUSR.jpg

UK version

Interesting...I've seen the original non-dub version yesterday here in Germany. Now I know they've shown the US version!

It's a bit silly that they have different lists for different countrys...who would tell Captain America to check out Roberto Benigni asap, or how Germany was robbed in the 1966 world cup final?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Interesting...I've seen the original non-dub version yesterday here in Germany. Now I know they've shown the US version!

It's a bit silly that they have different lists for different countrys...who would tell Captain America to check out Roberto Benigni asap, or how Germany was robbed in the 1966 world cup final?

I can buy the British list as Peggy Carter giving Cap some tips, but yeah, the other countries lists seem pretty silly.

jmood88

Here's the spanish (as in Spain) version:

oaulG25.jpg

Went last night to re-watch it and holy shit, i'm going to watch it at least 2 more times ;)

BTW: I coun't take a screen cap with my phone. I'll search for the Mexican/LA version somewhere.

Chupa Chups are fucking delicious.

But still wouldn't it make more sense to recommend him some great World Series finals or Superbowls? Even Olympics or something

I think they held competitions for a lot of it. I know the TV show one (which ended up being Sherlock in the UK) was decided by a vote in the UK.

Dai101

Banned
Lol so cool about the list! In Latin America it included Shakira.

From the top of my head it went (not eveything, i don't remember some of them):

• Shakira
  • Neri Vela (1st mexian astronaut)
  • Maradona goal against England (La mano de dios)
  • Octavio Paz
  • Chilean miners

Ovid

I've been avoiding as much as I possibly could at work for Cap.

Finally saw it and I absolutely loved it.

Ovid

Quick question, did anyone feel that Cap was holding back throughout the movie? For example, there's a scene right at the end where he effortlessly picks up TWS with one hand (like a complete boss), but for the majority of the movie, he's seemingly holding back.

Not sure I like it...reminds me too much of Superman and him constantly holding back for fear of hurting people.
Not at all. He felt like...Cap.

Anyways, did my folks from overseas actually get both post credit scenes? I remember we left one of them out for one of our previous films before it was released in the U.S.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I loved how brutal the action was. Hardest hitting punches in any marvel movie, even more than any of Hulk's punches. Felt real weighty.

Dabanton

Seriously how do people still walk out of Marvel films as soon as the end credits start? It should be clear by now that they'll put two extra scenes in their movies.

At my screening the film ended and then the first part faded and the first extra started what happened as usual is people running back in and blocking the exit pathway.

Protome

Just saw the movie, really enjoyed it even though I had a few issues with it, mainly the overuse of shaky-cam in the first half of the film. It seemed to tone down, or I got used to it, in the second half but the first half has people just standing talking while camera freaks the fuck out.

Also, the Bourne Identity scene with the Shield guys going "Show me all the CCTV footage of him on this TV also tweets and stuff" was kinda funny. It was very Bourne-ish for the first half actually. Then it turned into Metal Gear and got weird (and fun!)

The soundtrack was outstanding, the CG was really good. I like Marvel's CG where everything has a CG filtered look so that the CG and green screens and such don't stand out as much against the actual actors. There was a trailer for Amazing Spiderman 2 before it for me (and I assume most people) and boy could they learn from Marvel.

Top Bottom