• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The Power Gem is crimson, like the Aether and the "power itself" looked like the Power Gem to me

Loki's Staff could be the Mind Gem.

They seem unsure if they want to make the staff a gem but: not only does its behavior match perfectly. It would be a classically Loki twist if everybody goes crazy looking for one last gem through several films and Loki had it all along. Purposefully not going out of his way to retrieve his staff so as to make it seem unimportant.

He's too smart to not leave backdoor bargaining chips strewn behind himself.

Showaddy

They seem unsure if they want to make the staff a gem but: not only does its behavior match perfectly. It would be a classically Loki twist if everybody goes crazy looking for one last gem through several films and Loki had it all along. Purposefully not going out of his way to retrieve his staff so as to make it seem unimportant.

He's too smart to not leave backdoor bargaining chips strewn behind himself.

Thanos gave Loki the staff though and there's no way in hell he'd give him an Infinity Gem and risk losing it.

Nothing new, but my impressions:
- The Winter Soldier was a great villain. I dislike most villains because they're lame. He was really cool. One of my favorite villains now. I'm really interested how he will develop in future movies.
- Action was fucking awesome. Loved the combat. Captain's shield is great. The punches felt really powerful.
- A lot of Black Widow which I liked.
- Zola + the whole Hydra plot twist was awesome.
- A lot of small great references (like the things to see/do list).
- Props to Marvel for destroying Shield, never expected that. Looking forward how the universe will continue to develop itself.

Tied with Iron Man 1 as best solo Marvel movie. But this movie is probably way more enjoyable when watching for the second time.

Also why so much Apple product placement? Apple doesn't pay for product placement (usually). It was pretty over the top, especially the shot when they're uncovering the file from the USB where you can see 'Macbook Pro' sign in the bottom.

Anyways, like I said: fucking awesome movie.

Nick Fury using a HTC One got me hype as fuck.

The fight scene with Cap and TWS at the street was amazingly choreographed. My favorite scene in the entire movie, and the best hand-to-hand combat in any comic book movie.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Also why so much Apple product placement? Apple doesn't pay for product placement (usually). It was pretty over the top, especially the shot when they're uncovering the file from the USB where you can see 'Macbook Pro' sign in the bottom.

Apple and Disney are pretty strongly connected ever since they bought Pixar. Steve Jobs was Disney's largest shareholder.

Ithil

Stan has an option for 9 films, which is Marvel can choose to call him back if they want for up to 9, then they have to renegotiate. So it doesn't mean he'll actually necessarily appear in 9 films or that he's signed for them, it's optional on Marvel's part.

Emwitus

Why isn't any talking about how Cray that fury Assas attempt was ? Hated the story loved the action. Best marvel movie to date and i hated cap 1. I expect great action from a comicbook movie and this delivered

Said what the hell at the last minute, so we up and went right to the 6 p.m. showing at the theater. 3D showing, but not for the 3D as much as it was the earliest showing to avoid the later night crowds and assorted riff-raff.

Movie was a great mix of accomplished actors perfect for their roles with clear hard-hitting, often mana-a-mano action. Evans really brings Cap to life, and the interplay between him and Johansson as Widow really felt natural. Also, between various scenes and sometimes music there were quite a few moments that reminded clearly of moments from the Bourne movies (beyond the general political thriller trappings).

Very easy to recommend, and not contingent on being great just for a certain genre or expectation. It excels as a super-hero movie, as a poltical thriller, or simply as an action flick with welcome priority for weightier grounded fighting over overt cg (which this also has, but in measured doses).

Nether!

Just saw it this afternoon.
Haven't gone through the whole thread though, did someone compile a list of all the names Sitwell mentioned (caught Banner and Strange, and maybe a reference to Amadeus Cho?) along with the targeting system displayed names - I was too slow to read anything but Stark.

I loved how rough the action scenes felt. Everything felt like there was real impact and that people were actually in danger. I especially loved whenever the Winter Soldier showed up. It was like a Terminator entering the scene and just wrecking everything in his path.

Ridley327

I loved how rough the action scenes felt. Everything felt like there was real impact and that people were actually in danger. I especially loved whenever the Winter Soldier showed up. It was like a Terminator entering the scene and just wrecking everything in his path.

That scene where he levels the SHIELD staff trying to help Cap and Falcon was like watching someone sandblast a soup cracker.

kurahador

You know...Hawkeye absence and behind the scene photos of him with the twins made me think that he was dispatched to retrieve and help them dealing with Loki staff's mind control.

Same here everything was so tense haven't really seen a comic book film with such great action other than Blade.

Blader

The way he grabs Sitwell out of the car and just casually tosses him into a truck...goddamn.

Ridley327

Same here everything was so tense haven't really seen a comic book film with such great action other than Blade.

The crazy part is you'd never think that this film would be like that from what the Russo brothers did in the past, which has been comedy. Maybe Nolan needs to do a few episodes of The Big Bang Theory to figure his shit out for shooting action.

Just got back from this movie...sooooooo goood. Probably my favorite Marvel movie outside of the Avengers. I was hoping him and Black Widow would get it on, but oh well.

This movie really kicked Cap up the list for me.
Iron Man who?

Its really hard to sell Captain America in other mediums like cartoons and movies but they found the absolute best angle to push.

I would watch an entire movie or series just about situations at the start of the movie
staring Cap, Widow and Maria Hill.

The crazy part is you'd never think that this film would be like that from what the Russo brothers did in the past, which has been comedy. Maybe Nolan needs to do a few episodes of The Big Bang Theory to figure his shit out for shooting action.

Excatly why I was so hesitant for this movie I was like they directed Community and Arrested Development ?? Nahhhh... but I was sooooo fucking wrong.

I do think the Russo's will get better with some of the framing in their action as well. I think the shaky cam complaints will get toned down in the third one.

The entire movie was awe inspiring. You felt like Winter Soldier was destruction, Pierce came off as manipulative and Cap/BW/Maria/Falcon all came off as badass

That gave me a chuckle

antonz

Just got back from this movie...sooooooo goood. Probably my favorite Marvel movie outside of the Avengers. I was hoping him and Black Widow would get it on, but oh well.

Scarlet and Chris sold that so well between Cap and Widow. That tension was there but unlike James Bond or whoever Cap is the literal Boy Scout and behaved himself

LaNaranja

Just got back from watching it. It was really good although I felt there was a bit too much shaky cam. I loved that intro on the ship with Cap straight up destroying people. That was sorely missing from Avengers. And what was up with that plan? There is no way in hell they were killing Banner and Thor. Also Dr. Strange confirmation was awesome.

This was in the top 3 Marvel Studios films for me. Iron Man 3 > Avengers > Winter Soldier. It is a huge bummer that we didn't getting any Hawkeye at all until Age of Ultron in phase 2. Even Banner got a cameo in Iron Man 3 and a mention in Cap 2. I hope he gets a bigger role in phase 3.

Agreed. The action at least. Avenvgers was.more.fun. thoug

Yup. Avengers has great lines but the action in this was the best I have seen in any marvel film.

So quicksilver and red scarlet but they don't have the license to the Xmen. How are they planning on explaining that narrative in any feasible way?

Blader

Yup. Avengers has great lines but the action in this was the best I have seen in any marvel film.

So quicksilver and red scarlet but they don't have the license to the Xmen. How are they planning on explaining that narrative in any feasible way?

They're HYDRA experiments.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just got back from it.

I gotta say...

...as much as I love Scarlett Johansson, I might have just gone up a notch on the kinsey scale.

Goddamn, Chris Evans. Your existence is not fair to the rest of us.

Cartman86

Banned
Hope with the Mutant stuff they at least imply that the experimentation/staff was used to "unlock" the powers within people, not "give" them powers. That way technically it's still about DNA/mutation.

Quick

Banned
Just got back. Definitely my new favourite Marvel movie.

Action was insane. The fight choreographers deserve a pat on the back on a job well done. Every punch felt hard, and the acrobatics were insane. I was hoping the Batroc fight would've lasted a bit longer. I was hoping for a reference to this, but MCU Cap is all class.

The Winter Soldier was great. Everyone in the theatre got hyped when he caught Cap's shield at the rooftop.

I initially expected Alexander Pierce to come out as Red Skull, but I'm glad they didn't do that. They would've had to explain how he got back to Earth from wherever the hell he went to in Cap 1. Would've bogged down the story.

I was hoping HYDRA would make a reappearance in a future Marvel movie in full form, but we had only gotten a glimpse of their weapons stored inside the Helicarrier in The Avengers. Give me a team-up of Cap, Falcon, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and The Winter Soldier vs. HYDRA in Cap 3, please.

Speaking of Hawkeye, three of them would've been a crowd and I don't think we'd get enough time with Falcon. I think keeping it to Cap and Widow for the first half was a good choice.

They did a great job realizing Falcon. Anthony Mackie was great, really likeable. Real bro to Captain America.

STEPHEN STRANGE. YES.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
"Nazi Germany."

Best line in the movie. He delivery was amazing.

I thought the neighbor girl totally dropped the ball in the control room. Was she trying to take him captive or something? He's a supernazi! Fuckin shoot him in the head! Also the CIA girl was totally in love with Cap after he gave his speech. He should get on that.

Hope with the Mutant stuff they at least imply that the experimentation/staff was used to "unlock" the powers within people, not "give" them powers. That way technically it's still about DNA/mutation.

they said that there are other dead failed experiment, that's good enough for me, implied that only select people have the potential within them.

Quick

Banned
CIA girl? Maria Hill?

I didn't expect Sitwell to be part of HYDRA. I expected him to be part of the pro-Cap side. The Winter Soldier throwing him out of the window and onto a truck was nuts.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I thought the neighbor girl totally dropped the ball in the control room. Was she trying to take him captive or something? He's a supernazi! Fuckin shoot him in the head! Also the CIA girl was totally in love with Cap after he gave his speech. He should get on that.

They do in the comics. At the end of the film, Black Widow tells Cap to hook up with her.

Drago

Just saw it a few hours ago. Holy crap!!

They finally topped Iron Man 1 in my eyes. Might even be my favorite superhero movie period, but I have to let it sink in. Really great movie, the action was downright incredible. Every single character had their moment. I must have squealed in pure excitement at least 5 times during the movie... so many great moments. :D

I plan on watching it at least once more in a theater, hopefully in plain 2D. Nothing really wrong with the 3D, but it definitely wasn't needed.

Top Bottom