• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Mirakuru
Miracles

XS5LK.gif

Timu

My fav action scenes are Captain America fighting that guy on the boat towards the end, Nick Fury underattack, elevator scene, the freeway scene and the finale between Captain America and The Winter Soldier on the ship.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The Cap vs Winter Solider fights were damn awesome, and the Armin Zola AI scene was interesting.

The appearances from Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were a nice teaser. Though having Quicksilver in Avengers 2 and Days of Future Past is going to confuse so many casual movie-goers. Why can't FOX and Disney just work something out? They don't have to surrender the rights, they can collaborate. Same with Sony (I just want Spider-Man in the MCU...)

Sooo what's going to happen to Agents of SHIELD? If SHIELD is no more after this movie...

The Cap vs Winter Solider fights were damn awesome, and the Armin Zola AI scene was interesting.

The appearances from Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were a nice teaser. Though having Quicksilver in Avengers 2 and Days of Future Past is going to confuse so many casual movie-goers. Why can't FOX and Disney just work something out? They don't have to surrender the rights, they can collaborate. Same with Sony (I just want Spider-Man in the MCU...)

Sooo what's going to happen to Agents of SHIELD? If SHIELD is no more after this movie...
They look nothing alike, also I'm not sure if they'll actually call pietro quicksilver in marvel. Falcon and crossbones are not named in this movie for example.

Korten

Banned
They look nothing alike, also I'm not sure if they'll actually call pietro quicksilver in marvel. Falcon and crossbones are not named in this movie for example.

Well to be fair on those two fronts, actor Frank Grillo said that Winter Soldier is Crossbones origin story, and while Falcon (I thought they did call him that?), at least has it so the technology or at least the program that he was part of was known as Falcon, wouldn't be surprised if he takes up that name in Captain 3.

They show that his name is Falcon on the file he showed Cap and Widow when they found out he wasn't a pilot. Crossbones isn't Crossbones yet.

inky

Maria Hill straight up calls Sam "Falcon" several times during the final battle. Rumlow is just Rumlow in this movie because he hasn't become "Crossbones" yet.

Nobility

Banned
I can't believe I am going to say this.

This is the BEST Marvel movie yet. I am shocked at the direction, the pacing, the plot.

I'm sure I'll adjust my thoughts over time but I am very surprised, I was expecting another good but traditional action movie.

Just wow.

Awesome movie. Fantastic actions. Great story with a thought provoking message. The fights actually meant something for once, too!

Only complaint is that the whole virtual evil nazi doctor guy scene, it was a liiiiiiiiiiiiiitle too cheesy in my opinion. Ah well, just a minor annoyance.

Tizoc

I'm guessing they were all using code names, so Sam just used Falcon.

Which reminds me! Ramlo/Ralmo survived the helicarrier's crash you can see his charred body at the end of the movie.
I'm guessing he becomes Crossbones?

antonz

Which reminds me! Ramlo/Ralmo survived the helicarrier's crash you can see his charred body at the end of the movie.

Yeah the actor said this was going to be his origin story movie.

Dai101

Banned

Rumlow? Yes. He'll become Xbones.

ZeroGravity

Great movie. I echo a lot of the praise here. It's definitely up there with Iron Man 3 as my favorite Marvel solo movie, and both for very different reasons.

Also, maybe it's been mentioned, but was Black Widow's line about "Where did Captain America learn to steal a car" a reference to the to the 1990 film? Or maybe it's just my wishful thinking, but that's the first thing I thought of and it made me chuckle.

Remmy2112

I thought the neighbor girl totally dropped the ball in the control room. Was she trying to take him captive or something? He's a supernazi! Fuckin shoot him in the head! Also the CIA girl was totally in love with Cap after he gave his speech. He should get on that.

She was likely trying to prevent it turning into a shooty bloodbath by having them surrender... unfortunately it turned into exactly that when she got disarmed and he fired.

Khezu

So I guess with the way it ended, Maria Hill won't become a permanent cast member on Agents of Shield?

I really doubt it, but it would be cool if they straight up rebranded that show.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
She was likely trying to prevent it turning into a shooty bloodbath by having them surrender... unfortunately it turned into exactly that when she got disarmed and he fired.
shooty bloodbath in a room of people signed on to their duty to protect as opposed to 20 million people? she dropped the ball, man.

inky

So I guess with the way it ended, Maria Hill won't become a permanent cast member on Agents of Shield?

I really doubt it, but it would be cool if they straight up rebranded that show.

I hope not. I was expecting to see her on a few episodes for sure, but she needs a larger role in the movies. I don't know what it is, but I love Cobbie as Hill.

It's a really fantastic film, and without a doubt the best of Phase 2. The action direction was top-notch - the entire pirate ship raid was perfectly tense, had excellent pacing, and some outstanding choreography. The Russos absolutely nailed it - fight direction was exciting, but followable. The entire elevator sequence was just genius, though I almost wish it hadn't been shown in the trailer. Same with a few of Fury's later lines, and the Helicarriers falling to earth. For a film that is just insanely dense with action, they cherry-picked material that edged a bit too far into spoiler territory.

Speaking of, I was suprised to realize I was the only one in my group that already knew Winter Solider was Bucky. I'm not sure where I picked up the information, but I somehow thought it was common knowledge. It also kind of sucks that I knew he was destined to survive, since he was recently signed on for several more Marvel films. It made the final after-credits sequence quite a bit anticlimactic. Really, the two stingers should have switched places - and that can be said for every film since Avengers. I'd prefer having the obvious tease (WS)/romantic climax (TDW)/Punchline (Avengers/IM3) come immediately after the animated actor roll - and have the big tease for the next film be more hidden away. It's the hardcore fans who are really going to appreciate the character reveals, and they're the ones sticking around.

this was pretty bad but fun enough. I dunno it really felt like a stopgap and I couldn't handle some of the dopeyness. it was OK.

and I saw it in 3D and it was awful.

Redford being invested in his role did a lot to legitimize the message of the film. Glad they managed to nab him and I'm glad he didn't just phone it in for a paycheck. Redford is class all the way.

Rumlow? Yes. He'll become Xbones.

But will he run Titanfall?

It will always felt like a stopgap since it's not like lord of the ring where there's a clear end game after 3 movie. They will keep making marvel movies as long as it keep making money, so the mcu will keep moving forward, with sequel tease at the end of every movie.

It will always felt like a stopgap since it's not like lord of the ring where there's a clear end game after 3 movie. They will keep making marvel movies as long as it keep making money, so the mcu will keep moving forward, with sequel tease at the end of every movie.

The way it should be. The marvel comic universe never ends and there is always an opening left for the next story. Same holds true for the films.

Trey

A couple things reminded me of Star Wars. Late scene where Fury takes off his eyepatch. When Cap and Bucky had a staredown on the catwalk. "You may fire when ready."

dankir

So fucking good$€&#9828;&#9679;•{|•<{&#9675;}>&#9675;&#9826;&#9632;&#9642;&#9825;&#9632;&#9642;&#9825;&#9633;&#9734;&#9828;&#9633;&#9734;&#9828;&#9633;&#9734;&#9828;&#9679;&#9734;&#9828;&#9679;&#9734;&#9632;&#9679;•>•>|_=-^$-€/#€/# Marvel is on some next shit right now. Can't wait for Guardians and Age of Ultron!!!!!!

Dat Dr. Strange name drop!!! Who is the strike agent leader supposed to become? The one that fought falcon at the end. Agent Rimlaut?
Edit: looks like he becomes Crossbones.

The fight scenes and action in general were amazing.

Anthony Mackie's natural charisma is ridiculous. He could have played a broom and he'd steal scenes.

When I saw it, pretty much every line (well, every funny line) he said got an honest-to-goodness laugh from the audience. Some of the other jokes in the movie fell flat, but every one he told worked.

watched in RPX. While the story was silly, the hand to hand fight choreography is about some of the best ive seen in western film/tv in the past decade. Some really good stuff. Cap finally feels like he got some weight to his movement instead of just feeling like wires are behind everything.

Something i didn't get though, why was hydra planning on taking out every trouble person RIGHT AWAY? Wouldn't shit be a bit obvious? And its just 3 helicarriers, surely there are enough heroes and what not in the marvel universe that can slap them down... but I guess them mentioning having banner and other heroes on target to take them out makes sense.

Still seems a bit too comic booky when everything else felt a bit more grounded...

antonz

So fucking good$€&#9828;&#9679;•{|•<{&#9675;}>&#9675;&#9826;&#9632;&#9642;&#9825;&#9632;&#9642;&#9825;&#9633;&#9734;&#9828;&#9633;&#9734;&#9828;&#9633;&#9734;&#9828;&#9679;&#9734;&#9828;&#9679;&#9734;&#9632;&#9679;•>•>|_=-^$-€/#€/# Marvel is on some next shit right now. Can't wait for Guardians and Age of Ultron!!!!!!

Dat Dr. Strange name drop!!! Who is the strike agent leader supposed to become? The one that fought falcon at the end. Agent Rimlaut?

Rumlow becomes Crossbones who in the comics is muscle for the Red Skull

watched in RPX. While the story was silly, the hand to hand fight choreography is about some of the best ive seen in western film/tv in the past decade. Some really good stuff. Cap finally feels like he got some weight to his movement instead of just feeling like wires are behind everything.

Something i didn't get though, why was hydra planning on taking out every trouble person RIGHT AWAY? Wouldn't shit be a bit obvious? And its just 3 helicarriers, surely there are enough heroes and what not in the marvel universe that can slap them down... but I guess them mentioning having banner and other heroes on target to take them out makes sense.

Still seems a bit too comic booky when everything else felt a bit more grounded...

I think the issue is Zola basically has identified 20 million people who are threats to their plans. Even thought its unstated I imagine in that 20 million would be all the various superheroes, super villains etc. I don't think the plan was to wipe them all out at once but a gradual thing but then Cap learns everything and suddenly Hydra has to hightail everything

Way I saw it, they were doing it all at once so that nobody would be able to retaliate. The idea was that afterward seeing what massive destruction these Helicarriers were capable of, nobody would dare stand up to them. If they only picked off a few people at a time, some of the danger people might band together and take them out.

Emwitus

CIA girl? Maria Hill?

I didn't expect Sitwell to be part of HYDRA. I expected him to be part of the pro-Cap side. The Winter Soldier throwing him out of the window and onto a truck was nuts.
I wonder how the series will handle that

LaNaranja

A couple things reminded me of Star Wars. Late scene where Fury takes off his eyepatch. When Cap and Bucky had a staredown on the catwalk. "You may fire when ready."

Also Caps notebook at the beginning that said "things to do" actually said Star Wars (right next to Star Trek).

Just got back.

Winter Soldier by Brubaker is my favourite run of Marvel comics ever, and this movie was such a freaking stellar adaptation. By far my favourite Marvel movie so far.

I DID NOT EXPECT ZOLA'S RETURN. HOLY FUCK. I had the biggest shit-eating grin on my face for his entire scene. Such a perfect and chilling set up for his future appearances...

Gleethor

Just got back.

Winter Soldier by Brubaker is my favourite run of Marvel comics ever, and this movie was such a freaking stellar adaptation. By far my favourite Marvel movie so far.

I DID NOT EXPECT ZOLA'S RETURN. HOLY FUCK. I had the biggest shit-eating grin on my face for his entire scene. Such a perfect and chilling set up for his future appearances...

Isn't he gone though? His whole consciousness was in that bunker and Pierce even said that Cap had "cost" him Zola.

you know, its kinda weird that hydra still decided to keep that name around, so weird people are still hail hydraing around... takes some of the seriousness away lol. When hydra is already so in bed at the core of SHIELD... they are pretty much shield now... i guess they liek that name still?

btw: is there any info on capt's martial arts style? It's definitely way more flashy than anything US armed forces teaches you. I assume he has some free time... I see some judo, taekwando, karate.

Top Bottom