• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

overcast

That was really good actually. Much better than the previous Thor movies, better than Cap 1, and better than every Iron Man aside from the first.

-Action was very well shot and choreographed. Easily the most interesting to watch of the MCU.
-I loved Bucky/Steve's relationship.
-NAILED Winter Soldier. Made every scene count.
-I enjoyed the idea of Shield being destroyed from the inside out.
-Solid development for Black Widow surprisingly.
-TEASE FOR STRANGE MADE ME JUMP OUT OF MY SEAT.
-The post credits scene did it for me so well. I was so hyped to see Quicksilver and Scarlet. Look great in motion.
-Seemed like there was less forced humor, and more product placement.
-Falcon was pretty cool in a corny way.

I wasn't really excited, but this movie impressed me. If GOTG ends up as well as I'm expecting (and hoping), then Phase 2 can turn out incredible.

Random17

This really changes everything, doesn't it? I'm going to copy my post from another forum:

Loved it, especially due to all of the links to the previous MCU films.

It's almost as if they used giant guns instead of missiles as an excuse to have a flying helicarrier battleship slugging match at the end! However, I disagree with sentiment that Shield didn't need to be shut down. Here's the issue; nobody truly knew the extent of Hydra's infiltration, and the easiest and probably the only option CA had was to destroy the organization's HQ completely. People are mad over the current NSA debacle.

What do you think the reaction would be if the NSA were secretly run by the Illuminati Nazis?! Of course they'd be shut down. And it's honestly surprisingly that this movie didn't end in major protests around the world over the fact that their governments have been (unknowingly) funding Hydra!

I'd also like to add that this movie really left me thinking about the consequences of the events that unfolded. I shared similar thoughts about Stane being a Hydra member after leaving the cinema, especially because of this scene all the way back in Iron Man 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF_vJgMBtOk

"Weapons that will help use steer the world back on course...It'll put the balance of power in our hands... the right hands." While it was interpreted as straightforward nationalistic sentiment at the time, the link to Hydra is quite evident in hindsight! However, this movie came out 6 years ago, and I doubt Marvel planned their movie plots 6 years in advance.

On another note, I wonder how AIM fits into this? And Ultron? Antman and Guardians of the Galaxy? And who were the two people locked up at the end of the movie?

It should also be noted that this movie cannot be skipped if you want to watch the Avengers 2. If you didn't see Captain America or even Thor, you could theoretically still understand the basic premise of the Avengers, but you wouldn't know about the origins of the Tesseract or some of the characters involved.

However, "Shield = Compromised by the secret Nazi group Hydra" is a gigantic pill to swallow if you go into the Age of Ultron half blind!

I'm definitely looking forward to the Avengers 2 now!

Liked the action, thought the story was fucking shit. Laughing out loud when the nazi brain computers came to life and spilled all of their nefarious plan details to the good guys and then Shield had been secretly infiltrated for decades by Hydra who had somehow also caused all of the bad things that happened in the world since 1945. The future predicting kill laser helicarrier plot was absolutely bonkers too. The action was more meaty and grounded than the previous movies but then the plot went off the fucking wall. I enjoyed it at first because it had sort of standard burned-spy stuff going on, but then everything became awful comic books.

Dennis

Banned
Forget everything. Can we talk about how hard Cap. America kicks people in this movie? They go far , man.

The whole thing was pretty good, too.

What about Winter Soldier?

When he kicked that dude into the plane.......jesus.

Liked the action, thought the story was fucking shit. Laughing out loud when the nazi brain computers came to life and spilled all of their nefarious plan details to the good guys and then Shield had been secretly infiltrated for decades by Hydra who had somehow also caused all of the bad things that happened in the world since 1945. The future predicting kill laser helicarrier plot was absolutely bonkers too. The action was more meaty and grounded than the previous movies but then the plot went off the fucking wall. I enjoyed it at first because it had sort of standard burned-spy stuff going on, but then everything became awful comic books.
Eh........it is a comic book movie, bro.

As their stories usually go, this was pretty grounded.

Movie was awesome. Missed the Stephen Strange namedrop, but I caught Tony Stark being targeted.

Oh, and Zola's appearance gave me chills, really well done.

Here's the spanish (as in Spain) version:

oaulG25.jpg

Off-topic, but are Heroes del Silencio that big in Spain? I only know them from "Avalancha" being in Guitar Hero III.

Slayven

you know, its kinda weird that hydra still decided to keep that name around, so weird people are still hail hydraing around... takes some of the seriousness away lol. When hydra is already so in bed at the core of SHIELD... they are pretty much shield now... i guess they liek that name still?

btw: is there any info on capt's martial arts style? It's definitely way more flashy than anything US armed forces teaches you. I assume he has some free time... I see some judo, taekwando, karate.

Capt's style is it's own style. Not even Taskmaster can lock it down.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I didnt want to cry because I was with one of my bros but the Peggy scene was just ;_;. Didnt even know she was gonna be in the movie. I was not ready....

Eh........it is a comic book movie, bro.

As their stories usually go, this was pretty grounded.

Only in the sense that it had the least superhumans participating in it, and spends all its time on planet Earth. But Predicting the future, brain uploads and the advanced helicarriers is greater than anything you see in Iron Man until maybe IM3. Vast conspiracies are not "impossible" in the same way that nonsense science is, but harms the believability much worse. They literally said Hydra has been enacting a vast conspiracy to cause terrorism, war and instability since the end of WW2 as an effort to convince people to give up their freedom.

Guys its there a list of hydra target? Some online forums are talking about P. Parker and the president being listed .Who else? I can imagine people will do a frame by frame analysis when the blu-ray comes out :D

duckroll

Only in the sense that it had the least superhumans participating in it, and spends all its time on planet Earth. But Predicting the future, brain uploads and the advanced helicarriers is greater than anything you see in Iron Man until maybe IM3. Vast conspiracies are not "impossible" in the same way that nonsense science is, but harms the believability much worse. They literally said Hydra has been enacting a vast conspiracy to cause terrorism, war and instability since the end of WW2 as an effort to convince people to give up their freedom.

I don't think the movie ever tries to be actually believable, given that it's about a WW2 war hero defrosted in modern day, who was himself a skinny unfit dude who became a superhuman because of some super serum, set in a universe where NYC was leveled by an alien invasion led by Loki, the son of Frost Giants who was adopted by Odin.

Just saying. It's fun as hell and it's why we love it. :)

I don't think the movie ever tries to be actually believable, given that it's about a WW2 war hero defrosted in modern day, who was himself a skinny unfit dude who became a superhuman because of some super serum, set in a universe where NYC was leveled by an alien invasion led by Loki, the son of Frost Giants who was adopted by Odin.

Just saying. It's fun as hell and it's why we love it. :)

If they had attempted to go full on wolfenstein I would have enjoyed it considerably more, but it's trying to be serious, and tackle important concepts, and be grounded. But then nazi superscience. It's jarring.

duckroll

If they had attempted to go full on wolfenstein I would have enjoyed it considerably more, but it's trying to be serious, and tackle important concepts, and be grounded. But then nazi superscience. It's jarring.

I don't really think it's "trying to be serious" in the way you think it is though. Obviously if you felt that way I understand how it could be jarring, but while a lot of the themes are topical at the moment in terms of real world issues, I think it's really less of a direct political statement and more of a "what would Captain America do in a world like this, and what crazy shit would Hydra be involved with given modern opportunities" thing. It's how a lot of the modern Captain America comic run has been. Are the major plot points totally silly comic book stuff? Absolutely. But I think there's appeal in that.

Blader

Damn the Patriots!

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Zola himself said he was stalling Cap and Widow so that the SHIELD missile strike would take them out.

Also, here's the making of book for Winter Soldier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-833IyOCh-c

Mit-

What's with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch at the end? Are they not mutants? Isn't Quicksilver the son of magneto? Isn't he supposed to appear in the next X-Men movie?

What are the actual terms of 20th Century Fox owning the X-Men film rights? Are they just the only ones allowed to make movies named X-Men and call their powers "mutant" powers?

Is Marvel really gonna snag mutants, call them miracles, and put watered down versions of them into their cinematic universe? I'd rather them be new characters.

Blader

What's with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch at the end? Are they not mutants? Isn't Quicksilver the son of magneto? Isn't he supposed to appear in the next X-Men movie?

What are the actual terms of 20th Century Fox owning the X-Men film rights? Are they just the only ones allowed to make movies named X-Men and call their powers "mutant" powers?

Is Marvel really gonna snag mutants, call them miracles, and put watered down versions of them into their cinematic universe? I'd rather them be new characters.

No, it only works with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch because they're both Avengers and X-Men characters. So Marvel can't reference mutants or Magneto and Fox can't reference the Avengers.

The implication is that their powers in the MCU are caused by HYDRA's experiments with Loki's scepter.

Tobor

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are shared by both Marvel and Fox. Marvel can't mention that they are Mutants or Magneto's kids, and Fox can't mention that they are Avengers.

We need a boilerplate copy/paste response for this. It comes up over and over again in these threads.

Xion385

For theories that the twins are Inhumans, they're not:

"Well, Inhumans is something that we are definitely thinking about and we think there's great potential there for a great movie," he said. "But, no, no -- we have not linked those two." Asked to clarify that the Inhumans have nothing to do with Marvel Studios getting around Mutants, he said "As it relates to Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver? No. No, no, no." Judging by Feige's latter comment, it could just be the Maximoffs (played by Elizabeth Olsen and Aaron Taylor-Johnson) that will not be considered Inhumans, however, there are additional superpowered characters rumored.

Kevin Feige Debunks Using 'Inhumans' To Get Around 'Mutants' In AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON

Timu

Just came back from seeing it with my lady. I like it as much as The first Iron Man and Man of Steel movie which means I think it's better than The Avengers.

That guy on the boat was baltroc the leaper I think.
Ah, interesting to know.

Criticizing a comic book movie for being too much like a comic book seems petty.

I think he was actually criticizing a comic book movie for trying to take serious and contemporary topics and fold them into their world, i.e. the obvious implications of the Gov't secretly collecting data on everyone in the world and restricting freedoms under the guise of security.

What about Winter Soldier?

When he kicked that dude into the plane.......jesus.

Nah, the one that got me was when he ripped duded out the side of the car and into oncoming traffic.

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are shared by both Marvel and Fox. Marvel can't mention that they are Mutants or Magneto's kids, and Fox can't mention that they are Avengers.

We need a boilerplate copy/paste response for this. It comes up over and over again in these threads.

I know, but how did that even work out? Do they share anyone else? Why aren't they just owned by one of the other for movie purposes?

Guys its there a list of hydra target? Some online forums are talking about P. Parker and the president being listed .Who else? I can imagine people will do a frame by frame analysis when the blu-ray comes out :D

The President and Tony Stark were targets for sure, others were too fast for me.

Spinluck

Did anyone else get the feels at the, "because I'm with you, till then end of the line," line during the WS and Caps final battle on the helicarrier?

Talk about character moments that make you care, and putting weight on great action with an emotional moment. It caught me off guard. :')

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Did anyone else get the feels at the, "because I'm with you, till then end of the line," line during the WS and Caps final battle on the helicarrier?

Talk about character moments that make you care, and putting weight on great action with an emotional moment. It caught me off guard. :')

I had feels too. It'd be even better if that flashback scene to when Steve's parents died actually happened in the first one.

Dai101

Banned

I had feels too. It'd be even better if that flashback scene to when Steve's parents died actually happened in the first one.

Jk8iyDN.png

Also i think it was best this way. Those two emotional moments for Steve (with his girl and the flashback with Bucky) worked better here than in an ensemble cast.

inky

I don't know if it has been discussed here yet but is Loki's scepter supposed to have another infinity stone? The mind gem?

It has been discussed here, but no one really knows for sure and Feige is not spilling the beans. The only point at which the Infinity Stones have been introduced as such is the post credits scene.

We know it will be part of the Guardians movie plot, so after that it will be more clear what is what.

It has been discussed here, but no one really knows for sure and Feige is not spilling the beans. The only point at which the Infinity Stones have been introduced as such is the post credits scene.

We know it will be part of the Guardians movie plot, so after that it will be more clear what is what.

It was interesting that they referred to them as "miracles." I would guess that they will refer to mutants as miracles in future films, to get around the whole trademark issue. I'm sure in Ultron they will say something to the effect of "Quicksilver was born with his powers...he's a sort of miracle."

Or it could be that they'll say that the infinity gems are causing people to be born with different powers as they've grown active over the past decades. Actually, that one seems pretty plausible from an in-universe perspective.

Slayven

I think he was actually criticizing a comic book movie for trying to take serious and contemporary topics and fold them into their world, i.e. the obvious implications of the Gov't secretly collecting data on everyone in the world and restricting freedoms under the guise of security.

To be fair the comics did it way before the NSA story broke. Several times through various decades. Actually pretty standard stuff. hell the Red Skull has done it twice that I can remember

To be fair the comics did it way before the NSA story broke. Several times through various decades. Actually pretty standard stuff. hell the Red Skull has done it twice that I can remember

Oh, I don't have a problem with it myself at all. Was just clarifying*.

Edit: Or rather, stating my interpretation*

Amazing how much this movie improved upon the uneven first film (which I saw last night), and is basically Avengers 1.5.

Wonder how they're going to handle this on Agents of SHIELD (hopefully X-Files style, where shit that went down in the movie directly affected the show)

Calamari41

41 > 38
So what the hell was Hydra going to do to get rid of Banner?

Yeah, that's a good question. It seems to me that having Bruce Banner as a human shield is the ultimate trump card. No bad guy who isn't worthy of an Avengers movie role would try to get through him.

Top Bottom