• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

That didn't turn out well when Hulk came back
We don't want good things to happen to HYDRA anyway. HYDRA shoots Banner off into space at the end of AoU, we get a Planet Hulk movie, Hulk joins in the fight for Avengers 3 against Thanos in space and they bring him back to beat the living hell out of HYDRA in another Hulk movie.

They probably won't try and fit a Hulk movie in between AoU and Avengers 3 though.

The theater was surprisingly empty, though. A fair amount of people, it was a 1:00 showing after all, but just about every "group" there to see it had enough space to take a whole row. But an early showing of a movie that goes every half hour probably shouldn't be crowded anyway.

My father and I went at noon today, and the place was largely filled with kids. This movie is a lot darker than The Avengers so we didn't get the big audience pops stuff like "Puny God" or Coulson's big exit did, but most people got excited when the fights started, and notably a couple people lost their shit or clapped when Dr. Strange got namedropped/QS and Scarlet Witch showed up

I had the greatest theater for this movie. During the trailers, we got TMNT, and the entire theater, including myself and my friends, BOOED. LOUDLY. One guy shouted "I LIKED IT" and everyone laughed. Faith in humanity restored.

After the movie was over, everyone clapped.

Most of the theater stayed after the credits, except for my family, which made me groan.

Zebra

I loved the film, I just wish it had more chevrolet logos.

Random thought: the digital effects used to make Chris Evans the Tiny Steve again were mind-blowing once again, and much more impressive than the first attempt.

Absolutely. It was only a brief scene, but they really perfected the illusion there.

I had the greatest theater for this movie. During the trailers, we got TMNT, and the entire theater, including myself and my friends, BOOED. LOUDLY. One guy shouted "I LIKED IT" and everyone laughed. Faith in humanity restored.

Most of the theater stayed after the credits, except for my family, which made me groan.

I've noticed a gradual shift in the end credits reaction in theaters. Around Iron Man one it was only the comic book nerds who stayed after, last night not a single person budged once the credits started.

Zebra

I have a question and I apologize if it's been addressed here before:

Can someone please spoil Agents of Shield for me to explain where Coulson is during all of this?

Man, that was good. Phase 2 has all been fantastic IMO. So there hasn't been any confirmation if "Parker" was one of those names listed for HYDRA to take out? And is there any speculation to who the "valedictorian from Iowa City" is?

Can someone please spoil Agents of Shield for me to explain where Coulson is during all of this?
Not a lot of people know Coulson is alive, but the last SHIELD episode ended
just before this movie started

GAMEPROFF

Banned
With Fury going in the underground, do you think a Secret Warriors Movie could be a possibility? Just read the first Issue and the status quo is basicly the same - SHIELD comprimised by HYDRA, Fury in the underground.

Replicant

Yeah, this movie is a lot darker than Avengers and has a sad tone dripping throughout the whole thing. One of the coolest moment I can remember was when the entire Agents of SHIELD inside the HQ ended up in a stand-off against one another. One faction goes for HYDRA while another upholds what the Captain wants. I wish we had seen more of that without having to see Agents of SHIELD TV series.

Yeah, this movie is a lot darker than Avengers and has a sad tone dripping throughout the whole thing. One of the coolest moment I can remember was when the entire Agents of SHIELD inside the HQ ended up in a stand-off against one another. One faction goes for HYDRA while another upholds what the Captain wants. I wish we had seen more of that without having to see Agents of SHIELD TV series.

That was a very Tarantino-esque scene. The whole- everyone is holding a gun- will it go sour- IT GOES SOUR....thing.

Would you say that episode is worth watching?

I watched the show for the first few episodes... but it was difficult to keep going.

I was really down on that show from episode 2 - 10ish but the past 3-4 have definitely picked up the pace and it's pretty good at this point, I'd recommend it.

Zebra

I was really down on that show from episode 2 - 10ish but the past 3-4 have definitely picked up the pace and it's pretty good at this point, I'd recommend it.

Wow, well in that case I might try picking up where I left off.

Edit: Whelp, nevermind. ABC apparently hates ad revenue.

That was a very Tarantino-esque scene. The whole- everyone is holding a gun- will it go sour- IT GOES SOUR....thing.

I honestly expected a drawn out, boring stand off to buy more time, then BAM. All hell broke loose.

Classic Captain America. A true hero anyone would stand behind.

PsychBat!

Banned
Strongest film of Phase 2 so far. I loved it, I would say it's better than The Avengers. Here's how I would rank the movies of Phase 2:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Thor: The Dark World
3. Iron Man 3

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It was a bit more violent then I was expecting though, and it put me off in a couple places. And no, action-packed is not the same thing as violent. There was significantly more onscreen grunt death, I blinked slightly when Winter Soldier threw a guy into a jet turbine

Camp Lo

Banned
Just got back from a screening and had to look up Brock Rumlow...

He's going to kill Capt. America in the next one, isn't he?

Such a good movie with so many damn easter eggs! I had a nerdgasm in that bitch.

Son Of D

Maybe it's because in the UK it's rare to hear people speak in films (usually it's just laughter from a joke or someone quietly asking a question to the person they're with) but the thought of a crowd booing loudly in a cinema sounds really odd to me.

OmegaFax

My immediately ramble of thoughts.

Thought the movie was good. It isn't a standout action film and relies on a lot of fake outs or plot inventions to tie up some loose ends.

The action sequences were really good. It almost bordered on excessively violent, especially given that Marvel's under the Disney umbrella . Iron Man 3 had toned down on things like Tony Stark's drinking, had a Christmas theme, and a child actor. Thor 2 had a lot of humor or tried to be funny.

Guardian's of the Galaxy is shaping up to be a movie that I think even mom and dad will see.

Ddn't understand why Captain America trusted the guy that eventually played The Falcon when his neighbor in the adjacent apartment walked in with a gun and said she was assigned to protect him right after someone "attempted" to assassinate Nick Fury.

Nick Fury has a minigun in the center divider of his SUV that only works if the windows were either shattered or completely broken? Was there a practical scenario for this gun outside of a twenty armed men shooting at it while and a battering ram was pummeling the window?

The movie did do something with the plot of the last film and leveraged it into the sequel but it basically amounted to a guy wanting to destroy things by using Battlestars with Watch Dogs (err ... "Big Brother") like fears that all our aggregate information is being used in precog intent.

The countdown sequence at the end reminded me of the Death Star firing sequence in A New Hope ... right down to the, "You may fire when ready." Maria Hill's character was almost like Chloe from 24.

Apple and HTC had product placement ... Actually, for whatever reason, knew that Apple wouldn't let Marvel escalate a gunfight but the inside of an Apple Store, particularly the mall layouts, would be a complete death trap. Cap could have thrown MacBook Pros to save the day.

I'm not a fan of Scarlett Johansen so I might as well just say it. Her acting is a bit stale and her figure is disproportionate. For the action sequences, I'd like to say they used the body double? She's got about as much personality as the the teak finish of my Moto X.

The one funny "reference" ... I guess, and I think it was unintentional or maybe a comic reference, but when Black Widow makes a comment about Steve's ability to steal cars, it threw me back to a scene from the 1990 Captain America film where he pretends to get carsick so he could do a b-line and steal an old man's car.

Eh, I think I'm done ramblin'.

Maybe it's because in the UK it's rare to hear people speak in films (usually it's just laughter from a joke or someone quietly asking a question to the person they're with) but the thought of a crowd booing loudly in a cinema sounds really odd to me.

It was. I'd never had it happen before.

Ddn't understand why Captain America trusted the guy that eventually played The Falcon when his neighbor in the adjacent apartment walked in with a gun and said she was assigned to protect him right after someone "attempted" to assassinate Nick Fury.

Nick Fury has a minigun in the center divider of his SUV that only works if the windows were either shattered or completely broken? Was there a practical scenario for this gun outside of a twenty armed men shooting at it while and a battering ram was pummeling the window?

Eh, I think I'm done ramblin'.

Just addressing these two particular concerns:

Steve couldn't trust anyone working for SHIELD. That's why he goes to Sam Wilson - he's someone entirely removed from SHIELD that he met purely as a civilian.

And I'm sure Nick's car has the ability to roll down its windows. But I'll grant you that I don't know practical a gun in that position would be anyway.

And in regard to one of your other comments... This definitely felt to me like the most brutal Marvel movie to date. A lot of death and destruction, from both the heroes and the villains.

Trey

It was a bit more violent then I was expecting though, and it put me off in a couple places. And no, action-packed is not the same thing as violent. There was significantly more onscreen grunt death, I blinked slightly when Winter Soldier threw a guy into a jet turbine

Bucky was about his. After a while his ruthlessness became charming.

We don't want good things to happen to HYDRA anyway. HYDRA shoots Banner off into space at the end of AoU, we get a Planet Hulk movie, Hulk joins in the fight for Avengers 3 against Thanos in space and they bring him back to beat the living hell out of HYDRA in another Hulk movie.

They probably won't try and fit a Hulk movie in between AoU and Avengers 3 though.

Because that was the Illuminati launching him outer space. If Hydra is one that shoots him outer space, he'd be going after Hydra..... with a planet with him.

All right, that would be cool enough. I would want hulk to normally talk though, not just grunt or growl. Like the WWH incarnation where he incorporates Banners brain

So did anyone think it was strange that Bucky spoke on line of Russian the entire movie? I thought they were going to set something up where he could only speak Russian or something but after that he started speaking english for the rest of the movie.

Also, I'm sure it's been discussed but Nick Furys tombstone was the best easter egg.

The Technomancer

His gravestone read "The path of the righteous man..."
It even had the bible citation underneath it. It was awesome

Come to think of it, can we be sure that the Marvel cinematic universe and the Tarantino universe aren't in the same continuity? I mean, Inglorious Basterds vision of WWII would fit in well with the ridiculousness of Captain America's WWII

I'm just saying

Seth C

I've noticed a gradual shift in the end credits reaction in theaters. Around Iron Man one it was only the comic book nerds who stayed after, last night not a single person budged once the credits started.

Interesting. I can't say the same. Maybe half the people stayed for the first credit scene, but only about 6-8 were around for the final one.

numble

No, he had a minigun, but didn't activate it until the windows were at 1%. He presumably could open the windows and use it in other scenarios.

Interesting. I can't say the same. Maybe half the people stayed for the first credit scene, but only about 6-8 were around for the final one.
About half my theater cleared out before the mid-credits scene. I don't understand how people still haven't gotten the memo; especially those who went out on opening night to see it.

The Technomancer

No, he had a minigun, but didn't activate it until the windows were at 1%. He presumably could open the windows and use it in other scenarios.

He kept telling the car to hold off on the minigun until the last possible second to take them by surprise. The car kept going like "deploy defenses now" and he was like "not yet, not net"

My wife noticed that Black Widow was wearing a necklace with an arrow on it. I completely missed it.

kQr6d3z.jpg

Village

Ok Ok OK.

So can i talk about it.

Alright so i enjoyed it. There were some really obvious cues, even for a non comic book reader to pick up. But even then these movies know how corny a lot of it us so, predictability is only so much of a problem.

What I found interesting is that, this movie is like 3 metal gear solids rolled into a film. I know they probobly didn't reference it on purpose, but I would have lost my shit in that theater if some one actually said " war... has changed "

Speaking of unintentional humor, when the guy just whispered " hail hydra " it felt so random , i laughed. I assume that was supposed to be a " oh everyone is corrupted moment" but the spontaneous nature of the scene made me loose it.

Lastly Strange name drop got me hype.

antonz

Amazing how much this movie improved upon the uneven first film (which I saw last night), and is basically Avengers 1.5.

Wonder how they're going to handle this on Agents of SHIELD (hopefully X-Files style, where shit that went down in the movie directly affected the show)

Oh the next 6 episodes of AOS are going to be crazy. Tuesdays episode takes place during Winter Soldier so we will likely get to see a nice side story of what's happening to loyal Shield Agents as Hydra lashes out

Seth C

I thought this was a good enough of shot I wish it would have been in the movie. I can't wait to see him in Cap 3.

I think the two end scenes should have been reversed. The one with Bucky IS part of the movie. The other is a tease for another movie.

Top Bottom