• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Varna

Did I hear Black Widow mention that she was in the KGB in this movie? Was that an admission that she is way older than she looks like in the comics? Or was she a 7 year old KGB member.

She did say that.

Aside from that possible continuity issue she was great in this movie. Really makes me wish we got a solo film... something more low key like like an assignment that just goes wrong would be great.

Yeah, it was like...
Cap: Woah, you're Bucky!
Winter Soldier: Who the hell is Bucky, breh?

I thought it was a bit odd that he responded to that at all to be honest....

And The Winter Soldier was a figurehead for the larger Zola/Hydra plot, even if he didn't have much screen time. His presence was felt even when he wasn't seen.

Eh, felt more like he was the James Bond henchmen than anything.

But he was a great henchman. Hella screen presence.

artist

Banned
I prefer quality over quantity myself and when Bucky is on the scene, shit goes down... Impressively.

Besides, what you quoted was flat out wrong "But his storyline is grafted on without really impacting the plot or the story’s larger ethical concerns."

Changing the course of history for over 50 years, not to mention alluding to assassinating the father of one of the main heroes, is indeed "impacting the plot and the larger ethical concerns".
You are right, I shouldnt be arguing this, it's perfectly typical for a Marvel movie.

Scarecrow

It was Baron Strucker and yeah that was Loki's staff.

Baronstrucker.png

This is why most comic costumes wont work on the big screen.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Did I hear Black Widow mention that she was in the KGB in this movie? Was that an admission that she is way older than she looks like in the comics? Or was she a 7 year old KGB member.

Remember in Avengers when the little girl lures Banner into the cabin and then jumps out the window?

Banner: Do they always start that young?
Widow: I did.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I kind of feel like a few lines and character moments, along with the destruction of SHIELD, where intended to set up free-roaming "super heroes" as a thing in the MCU. At first, it's almost entirely SHIELD's party. They're in control, determining whether to repress, hide, or make use of various "special people" who are showing up in the world.

But now they're gone. The scenes with Cap and Falcon, where Cap comes to realize he can't just be a solider and follow other people's orders anymore. Cap taking over and giving orders to SHIELD's remaining loyalists - and people deciding to follow because he's Captain America. Natasha at the end, telling off the investigations committee - setting up people like her as agents of their own volition, taking action as they see fit to deal with extraordinary situations.

With no SHIELD it seems people must decide to come together on their own starting in Age of Ultron.

Now was Peggy Carter involved in starting up SHIELD? IF they killed Tony's dad, probably he wasn't down with that HYDRA shit, wouldn't they get her, too?

I kind of feel like a few lines and character moments, along with the destruction of SHIELD, where intended to set up free-roaming "super heroes" as a thing in the MCU. At first, it's almost entirely SHIELD's party. They're in control, determining whether to repress, hide, or make use of various "special people" who are showing up in the world.

But now they're gone. The scenes with Cap and Falcon, where Cap comes to realize he can't just be a solider and follow other people's orders anymore. Cap taking over and giving orders to SHIELD's remaining loyalists - and people deciding to follow because he's Captain America. Natasha at the end, telling off the investigations committee - setting up people like her as agents of their own volition, taking action as they see fit to deal with extraordinary situations.

With no SHIELD it seems people must decide to come together on their own starting in Age of Ultron.

Which is a great way to handle the Avengers re-assembling without retreading old territory. I love how much of a game changer this movie really amounts to.

Remember in Avengers when the little girl lures Banner into the cabin and then jumps out the window?

Banner: Do they always start that young?
Widow: I did.

This is true! The line just made me think of that X-Men issue where Wolverine and Cap save her as a baby in World War 2. It's probably a good idea to not tie her into WW2 though.

Korigama

Back from seeing it. Not better than The Avengers, but definitely good (and certainly preferable to Iron Man 3). No idea what purpose Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will continue to serve after this.

BLACKLAC

Back from seeing it. Not better than The Avengers, but definitely good (and certainly preferable to Iron Man 3). No idea what purpose Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will continue to serve after this.

It should give the show a bit of freedom(heh..) to do more interesting and unpredictable things. Hopefully...

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
So, would someone mind to recap all the "infinity gems" so far? As in what they are, what movie they were in, and where they are now. I've had a hard time keeping up.

The Tesseract, the Aether in Thor: The Dark World, and another one in Guardians of the Galaxy (the orb that Star Lord finds in the trailer).

Also, I'm guessing that the Eye of Agamotto will be an Infinity Stone in a Dr. Strange movie.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
just got back from seeing Winter Soldier so I can FINALLY read through this thread!

HOLY DAMN this movie hit ALL of my high expectations!!! Best movie of 2014, nothing else is going to measure up! :)

You can complain about Von Strucker's look in the movie, but be glad Von Strucker even had a monocle. Even after everything Marvel has done, we live in a world where every little individual characteristic of comic book characters is nitpicked and seen as too silly.

Jaws is about Chief Brody. The shark is a force of nature. A mindless killing machine that Brody must confront.

Brody is the protagonist, but the entire plot is about the shark. Practically every damn scene in the movie happens because of, is in relation to, or motivated by the shark.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

If Marvel/Disney ever got the rights to Spider-Man back, it would fit perfectly into the post-Cap 2 timeline, since Spidey's antics could easily take place without SHIELD interfering.

Blader

And he still only had 45 seconds of screen time. That's the point.

Bucky isn't driving the plot of Winter Solider in remotely the same way the shark drives the plot in Jaws.

I get what you're trying to say but the comparison is way off base.

SRG01

So who did Peggy end up marrying? I saw some photos on the nightstand but couldn't make out anything of significance.

Also, I think seeing Peggy again is straight out of The Ultimates (or perhaps just the Ultimate Avengers 1 animated movie)

edit: Also, that Verge review was terrible and they should feel bad. It's like they didn't even pay attention to the movie at all.

So who did Peggy end up marrying? I saw some photos on the nightstand but couldn't make out anything of significance.

Also, I think seeing Peggy again is straight out of The Ultimates (or perhaps just the Ultimate Avengers 1 animated movie)

Unless the comics can correct me, I think they were intentionally vague. Prolly because of the tv show in development.

Man, it took me a minute to figure out main SHIELD guy whooping ass throughout the movie was Rumlow, fuckin' Crossbones, man. They even got Batroc ze Leaper a good showing. He's not the kinda of badguy to build a 2+ hour movie around, but he's great for an opening set piece. I really like when they find good usage for "minor" bad guys like that, like the Scarecrow showing up throughout the Nolan trilogy.

Tobor

Bucky isn't driving the plot of Winter Solider in remotely the same way the shark drives the plot in Jaws.

I get what you're trying to say but the comparison is way off base.

The reason I made the comparison in the first place was to point out how silly the complaints about the title are. I stand by my original snarky comment.

Guy Legend

You can complain about Von Strucker's look in the movie, but be glad Von Strucker even had a monocle. Even after everything Marvel has done, we live in a world where every little individual characteristic of comic book characters is nitpicked and seen as too silly.

At least he's a real villain...unlike the Mandarin.

Man, it took me a minute to figure out main SHIELD guy whooping ass throughout the movie was Rumlow, fuckin' Crossbones, man. They even got Batroc ze Leaper a good showing. He's not the kinda of badguy to build a 2+ hour movie around, but he's great for an opening set piece. I really like when they find good usage for "minor" bad guys like that, like the Scarecrow showing up throughout the Nolan trilogy.
A friend was freaking out knowing Batroc was going to be in it. I also love the use of cool, fan fave b tier villains just for openings. Just enough to satisfy fans.

Top Bottom