• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

injurai

Banned
I think the two end scenes should have been reversed. The one with Bucky IS part of the movie. The other is a tease for another movie.

Yeah, I only saw the first one too because I just assumed that moved it up as to not annoy people.

Interested to see Bucky make future appearances.

Camp Lo

Banned
I think the two end scenes should have been reversed. The one with Bucky IS part of the movie. The other is a tease for another movie.

Yeah, I couldn't believe I stayed to the very end for that mediocre Mr. Bucky in the Smithsonian bullshit.

Calamari41

41 > 38
This story could have easily been a full-fledged Avengers story. If you bump Hydra's numbers and defensive capabilities a bit, add a few more helicarriers, and throw in some Hydra superhumans, you basically have the climax of Ultimates Volume 2.

Loved this movie, and I thought it was better overall than Avengers. The only thing Avengers had over it was the crazy fanwank shit (not an insult at all), which could have easily existed in this story if the rest of the crew had shown up.

So, would someone mind to recap all the "infinity gems" so far? As in what they are, what movie they were in, and where they are now. I've had a hard time keeping up.

I really enjoyed the movie overall. I felt it was dragging on a bit towards the end - not in any specific way, I could just feel my ass starting to get sore and was a bit annoyed. Could be more on the seats than anything though.

Anyway, I liked some of the references to other films. Fury talking about how Stark had an "up close and personal" look at the helicarrier turbines and had some input in the new ones had my laughing.

I was expecting Hawkeye to show up at the end for whatever reason. Same with Coulson. But no dice. Oh well. I really liked Falcon. When they showed Cap going for one carrier, Falcon for the other, and everybody else in the group tied up doing things I was practically guaranteeing, in my mind, that Hawkeye was going to on that third carrier in an awesome reveal. Obviously I was wrong :(

Also, my theater was legitimately shocked when Winter Soldier was revealed to be Bucky. There were like 4-5 audible gasps and one lady, sounded older, let out an actually shocked "holy shit!" pretty loudly. A few "Wow"s. One kid yelled "I TOLD you!" I obviously saw it coming but apparently most did not.

I'd say about 80% of the theater stayed for the Twins post credit scene, while only my gf and I along with one other group stayed to see Bucky. Which I thought was going to be a bit longer but apparently not.

A solid 8/10 movie.

artist

Banned
Verge;

If allowed to embrace all of its instincts The Winter Soldier could have been a true action classic, but like a high-end sports car stuck on a suburban street it feels held back from reaching its true potential. Despite all of the new elements brought to the table by the Russos and the screenwriting team of Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, this is still a Marvel movie — and that brings a number of requirements. It has to introduce characters that have no purpose right now, but presumably will down the road (Agent 13, played by Emily VanCamp). It has to service the existing comics mythology while still maintaining accessibility for broader audiences (Anthony Mackie’s Falcon is a former paratrooper that can fly thanks to a ridiculous winged backpack). And it has to serve as a standalone film — but also function as a step down the road towards The Avengers: Age of Ultron.

The most glaring example is the title of the film itself. Yes, the Winter Soldier (a menacing Sebastian Stan) is a character in this film, and while I’ll leave out the specifics he has particular significance to Captain America. But his storyline is grafted on without really impacting the plot or the story’s larger ethical concerns. He’s glorious and flashy, but he’s a supporting henchman at best, and the call-out in the movie’s name comes across as nothing more than an aggressive hat tip to Marvel’s loyal fans.
Spot on.

So, would someone mind to recap all the "infinity gems" so far? As in what they are, what movie they were in, and where they are now. I've had a hard time keeping up.

The Tesseract was one, the gem in Lokis Staff was one, and the plot device from Thor 2 was one.

They're six gems that control Power, Reality, The Mind, Time, Space, and the Soul and when they are all brought together and put in the Infinity Gauntlet (seen in the first Thor) they essentially make the wearer the most powerful person in the universe. Thanos got them all in the comics and it's looking like they're going to do that in the movies too.

The Tesseract was one, the gem in Lokis Staff was one, and the plot device from Thor 2 was one.

They're six gems that control Power, Reality, The Mind, Time, Space, and the Soul and when they are all brought together and put in the Infinity Gauntlet (seen in the first Thor) they essentially make the wearer the most powerful person in the universe. Thanos got them all in the comics and it's looking like they're going to do that in the movies too.

*SPOILER*

At the post credits, was that loki's staff that dude had? And who was that dude??

And as of now, the collector has the red thing from thor and the tesseract right? i forgot how thor 2 went lol

so why did capt trust falcon? His fucking neighbor was some secret spy person, so the dude he sees everyday on his morning jog is somehow more trustworthy?

Winter Soldier was damn effective in the action scenes and used in some very creative ways, but he did feel rather superfluous in the face of all the Hydra/Shield conspiracy plot. Didn't help that they had to go and retroactively try and make us care about this Bucky-Steve relationship to mixed results, IMO.

Nesotenso

Winter Soldier was damn effective in the action scenes and used in some very creative ways, but he did feel rather superfluous in the face of all the Hydra/Shield conspiracy plot. Didn't help that they had to go and retroactively try and make
us care about this Bucky-Steve relationship to mixed results, IMO.

Bucky, Steve relationship was given plenty of time in the first movie as well, at least pre-serum.

Varna

I went in really worried because of course if GAF hypes it up it can't possibly measure up
(I've been burned so many times by gaming side)
. Movie was great and I thought it was even better then Avengers. This movie even made me dislike Iron Man 2/3 and Thor 2 even more... I kind of just accept that the phase 1 movies were only decent at best. But everything after Avengers should have been pushing this quality.

Oh yeah... really surprised how many people didn't know who The Winter Soldier was. Lots of reactions in my theater.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
so why did capt trust falcon? His fucking neighbor was some secret spy person, so the dude he sees everyday on his morning jog is somehow more trustworthy?

Yeah, his neighbor who happens to work for the spy agency that's been infiltrated by the very organization that's been trying to kill him for 70 years. Better to trust the one guy he knows has no involvement in any of that shit.

Yeah, his neighbor who happens to work for the spy agency that's been infiltrated by the very organization that's been trying to kill him for 70 years. Better to trust the one guy he knows has no involvement in any of that shit.

how does he know though? Dude kept that he was some flying birdman soldier boy a secret too.

plotshield!

on a side note, is 2008 incredible hulk worth watching? its pretty much the only marvel cinematic universe that i've not watched at this point.

Gorillaz

Wondering what they will do with falcon and in short
bucky
. I'm assuming they will both be seen again in Cap 3 instead of Avengers 2 huh?

As for the end scene in Cap 2 I also wonder how "muddy" the line will get in bringing in characters from other non owned "marvel" movies.

Also yea what the hell are they going to do bout the shield show now?

Winter Soldier was damn effective in the action scenes and used in some very creative ways, but he did feel rather superfluous in the face of all the Hydra/Shield conspiracy plot. Didn't help that they had to go and retroactively try and make us care about this Bucky-Steve relationship to mixed results, IMO.

I was worried that it wouldn't have the impact of the original comic book storyline considering when that happened Bucky had been dead for like 50 years and was one of the only comic book characters that had never been brought back which gave them A LOT more time to build his relationship with cap.

In the end, it definitely didn't have the same impact, I don't think it mattered though, because of how well they pulled off The Winter Soldier.

Agents of HYDRA

Man ya know what, I think Black Widow was my favorite character in this one. Moris ol' hating ass gonna have to give ScarJo her props.

BLACKLAC

And gets 15 min side henchman job in a film titled after him? Got it.

I prefer quality over quantity myself and when Bucky is on the scene, shit goes down... Impressively.

Besides, what you quoted was flat out wrong "But his storyline is grafted on without really impacting the plot or the story’s larger ethical concerns."

Changing the course of history for over 50 years, not to mention alluding to assassinating the father of one of the main heroes, is indeed "impacting the plot and the larger ethical concerns".

rexor0717

The movie felt like it had just the right amount of Winter Soldier in it. He was effective in making me sympathize with Cap and he was great in the action scenes. I don't know what else you'd want them to do with him unless you wanted the whole conflict resolved in this movie.

Gorillaz

I forgot they did mention winter soldier killing you kno who, parents

Damn breh

Edit: @JC you kno I'm definitely shitting on Moris if he still says some shit bout Scar jo in this

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The real issue is that if Winter Solider had any more screentime, too much shit would get wrecked.

Did I hear Black Widow mention that she was in the KGB in this movie? Was that an admission that she is way older than she looks like in the comics? Or was she a 7 year old KGB member.

Spinluck

Pretty much. I'm actually surprised at how Hydra didn't use him more against Cap since he's obviously one of Cap's weaknesses. Cap almost got killed in the street if Falcon and Black Widow didn't interfere due to him being stunned to see that it's Bucky.

who the hell's bucky?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The movie felt like it had just the right amount of Winter Soldier in it. He was effective in making me sympathize with Cap and he was great in the action scenes. I don't know what else you'd want them to do with him unless you wanted the whole conflict resolved in this movie.

I was happy they didn't leave his survival ambiguous. I'm fine with them leaving their future uncertain, but not trying to go full cliffhanger with the character.

I will admit, I would have liked to have seen Joe Johnston return to direct. I'd love to see how he'd tackle a modern superhero setting. And we probably wouldn't have gotten as much shaky cam as we did.

I thought Bucky had plenty of screen time. It was awesome every time he was on screen.

Plus we're gonna see him plenty in 7 more movies. :)

nomis

Captain America: Inside Job

"The Winter Soldier" is perfect. Steve and Bucky is the emotional heart of the conflict within all the larger machinations, even if WS is really just a henchman. Any more relevant title would, as said by someone else, introduce expectations for the "turn" even if they wouldn't really be "spoilers".

You know, I was actually surprised they didn't resolve his arc within the movie. But given the real plot of the movie (which couldn't be reflected in the title for obvious reasons), I thought Winter Soldier was handled pretty well, and he was incredibly badass in all the scenes he was involved in.

I mean, when you see Winter Soldier show up in front of Fury's car, it comes off as such an "oh shit" moment. Even on my second viewing, it definitely held its impact for me.

Top Bottom