• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

I hope the ending for TWS implies that Fury gets his own solo film (s). I would love to see a set of movies that deals with Fury slowly rebuilding SHIELD.

How many movies has Jackson signed up for?

antonz

I hope the ending for TWS implies that Fury gets his own solo film (s). I would love to see a set of movies that deals with Fury slowly rebuilding SHIELD.

He signed a 9 picture deal and has now used 6 up so only 3 left but Jackson loves the role so who knows what happens. He didn't use his AOS cameo as an appearance for instance

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Steven Strange is called Doctor Strange because he's an actual Doctor, it's not really a super hero name.

Naw, but it's cool as fuck. I wonder of he initially wrestled with the idea of calling him something like Mystic-Man until someone was like "You know what, Stan? Doctor Strange is really super swell on it's own. Maybe he doesn't even need any other name?" It took them way to long to come to terms with this for Luke Cage and abandon that Powerman nonsense.

this movie make me want spin off/solo movies for so many caracters. I really end up liking all of them and want to know where their story goes from here.

like movie about Nick Fury and his small team of people (like Coulson) rebuilding SHIELD or chasing HYDRA

or The Winter Soldier movie showing in more detail about his origin, some of his past assassination, or what is he going to do now.

or Black Widow solo movie, maybe tying it with Winter Soldier since I heard she has more connection with Winter Soldire in the past but not in this movie, so maybe add it for future subplot.

Man this movie was so freaking awesome! Really hoping cap 3 has more falcon.
quicksilver And scarlet witch looked really good! Stoked for avengers 2 even more now.
Thought stan did an awesome job as winter soldier with the limited time he had, anyone know if he seriously has a 9 picture deal or if he was joking?

I doubt we'll be seeing any Phase X movies involving character backstories, Marvel seems to be really forward-facing with this stuff, always moving towards the next Avengers.

I doubt we'll be seeing any Phase X movies involving character backstories, Marvel seems to be really forward-facing with this stuff, always moving towards the next Avengers.

I dunno. If they do a Black Widow movie (and I hope they do) they'll have to get into some backstory. Might just be some flashbacks, but I think the character demands some exposition.

I dunno. If they do a Black Widow movie (and I hope they do) they'll have to get into some backstory. Might just be some flashbacks, but I think the character demands some exposition.

Absolutely. I want a Black Widow solo film, and I want some stuff from her past explained. But I'm saying it won't be a whole film, probably just a few key scenes. The general plot will be present-day, moving the MCU forward

Absolutely. I want a Black Widow solo film, and I want some stuff from her past explained. But I'm saying it won't be a whole film, probably just a few key scenes. The general plot will be present-day, moving the MCU forward

Oh yeah... probably. I could see them doing a sort of parallel story with her where she faces a similar situation in the current time as she did once in her past and we get walked through both stories, except she makes a different key decision (or decisions) to reflect how she's changed.

Or something like that.

I have no idea, I'm just talking crazy talk.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

They wouldn't even need flashbacks to do it.

"Now that all SHIELD's secrets are out in the open and Black Widow's enemies know where to find her, the ghosts of her past have come back for revenge."

Boom. It's pretty standard as far a plot goes and would allow us to see into her past while letting the character, and the universe, move forward.

They wouldn't even need flashbacks to do it.

"Now that all SHIELD's secrets are out in the open and Black Widow's enemies know where to find her, the ghosts of her past have come back for revenge."

Boom. It's pretty standard as far a plot goes and would allow us to see into her past while letting the character, and the universe, move forward.

I was really cold towards ScarJo as BW in IM2 and Avengers, but after Winter Soldier, I am fully on board.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
What stood out to me most was how much stuff in this movie SHOULD have looked silly, too comic-y and out of place, be it Falcon, the Winter Soldier or some shield shenanigans from cap. But everything worked just fine.

Yeah, the movie was really great :)

Jaroof

Anyone have a gif of Quicksilver warping around at the end?

That looked awesome.

Also, this movie was the shit. I'll probably see it again.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ever since Thor and the one-shots, something never quite sat well with me about that Sitwell guy. It's nice to be vindicated. He should've done the double fisted Hydra salute at some point though.

That one short were the 2 people have the alien weapon, he was strange. First he appeared to be a cold assassin, then turned a 180 and those 2 people were fast tracked into SHIELD.

That one short were the 2 people have the alien weapon, he was strange. First he appeared to be a cold assassin, then turned a 180 and those 2 people were fast tracked into SHIELD.

and we never heard of those 2 people again, maybe they're forced to join HYDRA and after TWS events we can get Agents of HYDRA tv show. lol

ezekial45

Banned
So is Red Skull really dead? I remember in the first movie he was absorbed or something by the cube, but I haven't read anything from the Marvel Studios folk about him being gone for good.

Is there any possibility of him coming back in a later movie? With Hydra still a threat, I think he'd be a great villain to have back.

So is Red Skull really dead? I remember in the first movie he was absorbed or something by the cube, but I haven't read anything from the Marvel Studios folk about him being gone for good.

Is there any possibility of him coming back in a later movie? With Hydra still a threat, I think he'd be a great villain to have back.

It looked to me like he got teleported, not dissolved. And then Cap remarked that Loki's staff functioned a lot like a Hydra weapon. So it could be possible that Red Skull got teleported to where ever Thanos was and ended up revealing stuff about the Tesseract and how it worked and where it was.

golem

Anyone have a gif of Quicksilver warping around at the end?

That looked awesome.

Also, this movie was the shit. I'll probably see it again.
Just for your pleasure, stolen from 4chan:

UcX6dpp.gif
Here ya go

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It looked to me like he got teleported, not dissolved. And then Cap remarked that Loki's staff functioned a lot like a Hydra weapon. So it could be possible that Red Skull got teleported to where ever Thanos was and ended up revealing stuff about the Tesseract and how it worked and where it was.

I really expect him to return in Guardians of the Galaxy in a little Cameo or at least in the After Creditscene. Red Skull is to important for Captain America, that they never show him again.

kurahador

I really expect him to return in Guardians of the Galaxy in a little Cameo or at least in the After Creditscene. Red Skull is to important for Captain America, that they never show him again.

He's not the only one whose fate is still uncertain.

We still don't know what happen to the doctor in The Incredible Hulk who got a couple of drops of hulk's blood on his head.

He's not the only one whose fate is still uncertain.

We still don't know what happen to the doctor in The Incredible Hulk who got a couple of drops of hulk's blood on his head.

Well, Sterns canonically becomes The Leader, so I think that's what they were intending.

However, The Leader isn't a particularly good villain IMO and Marvel is trying its best to pretend that movie didn't exist, so I doubt we'll see anything more come of it than maybe a vague mention or two (like they've been doing with mentioning The Abomination is in Alaska somewhere in AoS).

Shaanyboi

Banned
I could see Rhodes being killed off in Avengers 2 working. If Tony is in fact the creator of Ultron then I could see Ultron going after Tony's friends to make things more personal between the two.

Does anyone think someone will really die in Age of Ultron?
My money is on Quicksilver biting the dust

While I'd like to believe he's not dead, the fact they've introduced both Von Strucker and Crossbones suggests they've decided not to reference R.S again beyond that small video clip in TWS.

So while he's probably not technically dead, he'll likely never be a main part of the Cap movies for the foreseeable future. It's a shame too, I thought Pierce revealing himself to be R.S would have been amazing.

kirblar

I liked that modern Hydra had discarded Nazi-ism and was just straight up totalitarian/fascist crazytown. RS works completely against that and isn't really all that interesting a villain because he's straight up evil, rather than the "think they're the good guys" sort of evil.

I liked that modern Hydra had discarded Nazi-ism and was just straight up totalitarian/fascist crazytown. RS works completely against that and isn't really all that interesting a villain because he's straight up evil, rather than the "think they're the good guys" sort of evil.

Yeah, that's a good point and it was brought up before when R.S was mentioned. Still, I think the send off he got in TFA wasn't really very good and I would have liked to see him return at least one more time...

Ah well, Von Strucker and Crossbones with a possible appearance from M.O.D.O.K proper will be more than enough for a Cap 3 movie.

I think Fury will eventually be gone, replaced by Hill when the time comes.

Someone on Reddit said that her interviewing at Stark was a sign that she's going to get close to Tony, which apparently she does in Civil War. The Phase 4 Avengers movie being Civil War would be pretty cool, but without Spider-Man I feel like it'll just be missing something..

I wouldn't have minded this. Makes more sense than him travelling around Europe and taking down Hydra bases.

I guess they wanted to keep him around for when they inevitably decide to bring back SHIELD?

I think they brought Fury back because he's like James Bond. He just fakes his death whenever he wants a vacation. Even just reading through only Hulk comics (as is my nature) I ran into about three different instances where Fury pretended to die just so he could get away from it all for a bit.

So it was really more of a character trait than a plot device.

I think they brought Fury back because he's like James Bond. He just fakes his death whenever he wants a vacation. Even just reading through only Hulk comics (as is my nature) I ran into about three different instances where Fury pretended to die just so he could get away from it all for a bit.

So it was really more of a character trait than a plot device.

Oh wow, why not just take a vacation like a normal person? Still, it's pretty funny that the character defaults to faking his death when he wants to get away from it all...

It must have reached a point where when he does it, people just assume he's chilling on a beach somewhere?

Fevaweva

I could see Rhodes being killed off in Avengers 2 working. If Tony is in fact the creator of Ultron then I could see Ultron going after Tony's friends to make things more personal between the two.

Does anyone think someone will really die in Age of Ultron?

If they let Whedon go full Serenity on it, I could see a couple of people dying especially if they want out of the Super-hero genre.

Natalie Portman's character will probably die.

I think Fury will eventually be gone, replaced by Hill when the time comes.

Someone on Reddit said that her interviewing at Stark was a sign that she's going to get close to Tony, which apparently she does in Civil War. The Phase 4 Avengers movie being Civil War would be pretty cool, but without Spider-Man I feel like it'll just be missing something..

Doing a Civil War movie wouldn't be a smart move, imo. There are only a handful of heroes in the movies, vs the hundreds in the comics. A civil war in the MCU would just be a small group of people fighting with themselves, like the helicarrier scene in the first avengers movie. They'd have to introduce a few dozen more heroes before it has any significance. I can see the seeds being sewn for it, but I think if they do a Civil War movie, it'll be at least a couple decades away

Oh wow, why not just take a vacation like a normal person?

Because he's Nick Fury.

I think he also does it to fuck with everyone.

Like, during the Merged Hulk run, Hulk/Banner let Punisher go because he thought SHIELD was trying to stamp down rogue elements (and he kinda likes how Punisher operates). Fury was so pissed, he faked being killed by the Punisher so Banner would feel like shit about it and everyone would hate him for letting Punisher go.

Because that's how Fury rolls.

Because he's Nick Fury.

I think he also does it to fuck with everyone.

Like, during the Merged Hulk run, Hulk/Banner let Punisher go because he thought SHIELD was trying to stamp down rogue elements (and he kinda likes how Punisher operates). Fury was so pissed, he faked being killed by the Punisher so Banner would feel like shit about it and everyone would hate him for letting Punisher go.

Because that's how Fury rolls.

Holy shit. that's another run added to the list.

antonz

Yeah, that's a good point and it was brought up before when R.S was mentioned. Still, I think the send off he got in TFA wasn't really very good and I would have liked to see him return at least one more time...

Ah well, Von Strucker and Crossbones with a possible appearance from M.O.D.O.K proper will be more than enough for a Cap 3 movie.

Comic Universe Red Skull was a live and die proud Nazi while Movie universe openly mocks hitler and the nazis as foolish and useless and Hydra no longer needing them after Hydra had achieved the military superiority it needed via tesseract weapons.

He was just as ready to nuke Berlin and Nazism off the Map as he was the Allies and Democracy.

Holy shit. that's another run added to the list.

Peter David, man. Best thing that ever happened to Hulk. It's long, but it's amazing. Everything he wrote there was gold. If they adapt any of his stories to film, I will be so happy.

Ruffalo's performance in Avengers? Basically Peter David's version of Banner.

Comic Universe Red Skull was a live and die proud Nazi while Movie universe openly mocks hitler and the nazis as foolish and useless and Hydra no longer needing them after Hydra had achieved the military superiority it needed via tesseract weapons.

He was just as ready to nuke Berlin and Nazism off the Map as he was the Allies and Democracy.

It's been a while since I last watched TFA, but I only remember him killing those Nazi commanders because they threatened to shutter his base and nothing about him mocking Hitler and the Nazis.

I think a re-watch is in order.

Peter David, man. Best thing that ever happened to Hulk. It's long, but it's amazing. Everything he wrote there was gold. If they adapt any of his stories to film, I will be so happy.

Ruffalo's performance in Avengers? Basically Peter David's version of Banner.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Just to confirm, the run is available through Marvel Unlimited right?

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Just to confirm, the run is available through Marvel Unlimited right?

Should be. Most of it was there when I read it and I imagine the rest has been filled in since (I read it about two years ago).

Starts in a weird place due to this really strange run by Byrne, but it gets better very quickly. Definitely one of the high points in 90s comics.

anaron

SO GOOD

- The fight choreography was outstanding. Illustrating the impact of superhuman chaos is always amazing to see and I'm so happy they realized that so well with this film.

- It was almost shocking how much more lively and personable Natasha was in this. Loved her in the Avengers and with TWS, she's really come into her own feeling like a fully formed person. Her friendship and chemistry with Steve (and later Sam) made for my favourite moments in the film behind the Bucky bits. I'm super glad Natasha knew who he was and had an encounter prior, but it doesn't seem like they have a history the way they do in the comics which if true, is pretty disappointing.

- the Peggy scene... destroyed me. It's going to make watching the eventual Agent Carter series devastating knowing she ends up with dementia. That makeup/cgi was incredible.

- Sitwell noooooo! :( I was actually kinda stunned by that reveal and equally hurt. :p Even his death was shocking in its brutality yet also mildly hilarious.

The twins look incredible and I'm super hyped for Tuesday's AoS due to the hydra infiltration and disbanding of SHIELD, so,yeah, I'm in a very good place.

SO GOOD

- The fight choreography was outstanding. Illustrating the impact of superhuman chaos is always amazing to see and I'm so happy they realized that so well with this film.

- It was almost shocking how much more lively and personable Natasha was in this. Loved her in the Avengers and with TWS, she's really come into her own feeling like a fully formed person. Her friendship and chemistry with Steve (and later Sam) made for my favourite moments in the film behind the Bucky bits. I'm super glad Natasha knew who he was and had an encounter prior, but it doesn't seem like they have a history the way they do in the comics which if true, is pretty disappointing.

- the Peggy scene... destroyed me. It's going to make watching the eventual Agent Carter series devastating knowing she ends up with dementia. That makeup/cgi was incredible.

- Sitwell noooooo! :( I was actually kinda stunned by that reveal and equally hurt. :p Even his death was shocking in its brutality yet also mildly hilarious.

The twins look incredible and I'm super hyped for Tuesday's AoS due to this so, yeah I'm in a good place.

They're going to be on the show??

Top Bottom