• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

antonz

I was about to blaze through the entire series so I could watch Tuesday's, I guess I can cool it now.

This pilot is so dumb.

If you want you could start with around Episode 11 and then watch from there. I mean the next 6 episodes deal directly with what is happening during winter soldier and its aftermath.

The show spent 10 episodes kind of spinning its wheels to establish characters then more or less wait for cap 2 to come out so they could get really started.

Just start with either episode 11 or 13.

If you want you could start with around Episode 11 and then watch from there. I mean the next 6 episodes deal directly with what is happening during winter soldier and its aftermath.

The show spent 10 episodes kind of spinning its wheels to establish characters then more or less wait for cap 2 to come out so they could get really started.

I really wouldn't lose anything just by jumping into number 11? I really, really hate doing that with series.

antonz

I really wouldn't lose anything just by jumping into number 11? I really, really hate doing that with series.

The early episodes really are kind of mystery of the week style. The only thing youd really miss on would be some background on the guy who becomes deathlok but it really isn't that significant.

11 on though it becomes a series of connected events all leading to winter soldier and after. I say start with 11 rather than 13 because that episode in particular addresses coulson being alive

You'd basically miss a bit of establishing the Clairvoyant, but if you read the wikipedia synopsis, that should get you more or less set. The beginning really is a lot of "monster of the week" filler.

EDIT: Ack! Ninja'd!

SeanR1221

Saw it and really loved it. My only complaint was old Peggy looked SO fake it was almost distracting.

And man you could cut the sexual tension between captain and widow with a knife. Cap should have jumped on that.

antonz

Saw it and really loved it. My only complaint was old Peggy looked SO fake it was almost distracting.

And man you could cut the sexual tension between captain and widow with a knife. Cap should have jumped on that.

Rogers is the kind of guy who probably goes to see Peggy everyday until she dies because she is his gal which when you think about it would be another reason he is always turning down the idea of dates.

The Tension though between Cap and Widow was there though no doubt and done well

SeanR1221

Rogers is the kind of guy who probably goes to see Peggy everyday until she dies because she is his gal which when you think about it would be another reason he is always turning down the idea of dates.

The Tension though between Cap and Widow was there though no doubt and done well

Oh yeah I definitely get that, but couldn't they have selected an elderly woman to play her? She looked like a young lady with a wrinkle mask.

Calabi

This is probably a stupid question but what happened to Extremis from Iron Man 3. Why couldnt they just use that to heal Nick Fury, or anyone else that is injured. Or use it pre-emptively and be immortal.

Rlan

Man, Falcon in Winter Solider is so much more awesome than his Avengers Assemble equivalent. And probably the comic version.

SeanR1221

This is probably a stupid question but what happened to Extremis from Iron Man 3. Why couldnt they just use that to heal Nick Fury, or anyone else that is injured. Or use it pre-emptively and be immortal.

I actually assumed everything was going on at once, so it's just starting to be "out there."

I also figured the Vice President is working under hydra.

I actually assumed everything was going on at once, so it's just starting to be "out there."

I also figured the Vice President is working under hydra.

I don't think the vice president work for Hydra, it's shown pretty clearly that he is covering Killian because of his daughter's disability, the promise for her daughter to recover her leg is what motivates him,

stephen08

I don't know if anyone mentioned it but at the end when they are at Nick Fury's grave the epitaph reads 'The path of the righteous man...' - Ezekiel 25:17

Super cool easter egg.

I liked the movie. Definitely an improvement over the first Captain America film. My biggest issue with it is when they kill off Fury early on you just know it isn't going to stick.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it but at the end when they are at Nick Fury's grave the epitaph reads 'The path of the righteous man...' - Ezekiel 25:17

Super cool easter egg.

I liked the movie. Definitely an improvement over the first Captain America film. My biggest issue with it is when they kill off Fury early on you just know it isn't going to stick.
Maybe if they hadn't spoil Fury's line about cap giving the order now in the trailer, I'd probably believe his death scene. I think the scene is pretty well done

injurai

Banned
Maybe if they hadn't spoil Fury's line about cap giving the order now in the trailer, I'd probably believe his death scene. I think the scene is pretty well done

This is why I avoid trailers as best I can. Especially past any sort of reveal trailer.

I went in pretty much blind.

Nah, he's Nick Fury. He ain't going out like that. Besides, the stakes were high enough without him dying.

It was clear it was a fake out. Hill doesn't miss a beat before saying she needs his body right away.
I was just thinking that Hill can hold her emotion down better than Black Widow at the time.

Edit: btw, I was just thinking, the only one who know Fury is still alive is cap, falcon, widow, hill, and the guys treating Fury right?

Thr world still think he's dead, so if Fury is being an ass, it's possible that Coulson will never got the chance to meet Fury and ask him about the Blu alien with magic blood right?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I'm actually super happy that he and Widow didn't "do anything" or "get together", nice change of pace

But that scene was showed in every trailers except the official teaser, it was unavoidable.

I only saw the teaser and I really thought they had killed Fury and it worked for me.

That's one thing I do now. If a movie interests me, I only watch the first trailer they release to get the tone of it, see if what I'm waiting for is a bit confirmed in the teaser. Then I stop watching trailers. Period.

I started doing that for Pacific Rim and I was genuinely surprised by every funny moments or epic set-pieces. Everything was new and exciting. Been doing it for all my most anticipated movies.

That way I can get REALLY excited for a movie, like Godzilla for instance. I only saw the first trailer with the HALO jump. The set up and the mood was brilliant. So now, I haven't watched a single thing since then. It always pays off for me and it did for Winter Soldier.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I saw all of the trailers and I had honestly forgotten about the "you're giving the orders now" line, so I thought maybe Fury was dead also, especially since I accidentally caught a spoiler about his gravestone existing.

What I did remember from the trailers, which I found funny, was how many of Redford's lines that the trailer made sound like he was saying to Cap were actually delivered to other characters, most notably the WS

y2dvd

I think we all know avoiding trailers is the best way to watch a movie because once you've seen the trailers, you may start piecing scenes together. Luckily, my mind wasn't trying to recall scenes from the trailers this time around and Nick Fury's "death" caught me by surprise. I mean, they killed Coulson so I didn't think Fury was off limits.

Btw how badass did Samuel L Jackson look in this movie?

kurahador

That way I can get REALLY excited for a movie, like Godzilla for instance. I only saw the first trailer with the HALO jump. The set up and the mood was brilliant. So now, I haven't watched a single thing since then. It always pays off for me and it did for Winter Soldier.

You're right. Guess I'm gonna have to skip any upcoming GOTG trailer now...urghhh.

I think we all know avoiding trailers is the best way to watch a movie because once you've seen the trailers, you may start piecing scenes together. Luckily, my mind wasn't trying to recall scenes from the trailers this time around and Nick Fury's "death" caught me by surprise. I mean, they killed Coulson so I didn't think Fury was off limits.

Btw how badass did Samuel L Jackson look in this movie?
I remembered that line from the trailer about Cap giving the orders, but it's not uncommon for scenes to be absent from the final film even if they were in trailers (IM3 Mandarin going "DO YOU WANT A MEANINGFULLLLLL DEATH" for instance), and I thought that line was one of them.

That moment when Nick Fury takes off the eyepatch. So good.

Okay, so, admittedly I'm a comics noob, and most of my experiences with Marvel have been movie-related, so be gentle with me, but..

After the Avengers movie, shouldn't every Captain America/Hulk/Iron Man/Thor movie technically be an Avengers movie? (Thor maybe not so much since a lot of his stuff can happen off-world)

I kept thinking to myself during the last half of CA2, where's Iron Man or Hulk during all this? Fury being "killed", Hydra coming back and killing the President and millions of others isn't a big enough threat for other Avengers members to stop by and help out?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Okay, so, admittedly I'm a comics noob, and most of my experiences with Marvel have been movie-related, so be gentle with me, but..

After the Avengers movie, shouldn't every Captain America/Hulk/Iron Man/Thor movie technically be an Avengers movie? (Thor maybe not so much since a lot of his stuff can happen off-world)

I kept thinking to myself during the last half of CA2, where's Iron Man or Hulk during all this? Fury being "killed", Hydra coming back and killing the President and millions of others isn't a big enough threat for other Avengers members to stop by and help out?

In the comics, there are a huge number of heroes everywhere, so when shit goes down in major first-world countries - especially in cities - it does get the attention of everyone in the area at least.

But I guess a conceit of comics is that if every character was always in every book, there'd just be a single Avengers comic. So generally speaking a lot of headline heroes are "dealing with their own issues" much of the time that big disasters are happening. It's why cross-over events are big. They explicitly allow everybody to come together and appear in one another's books.

Edit: it may make more sense in the comics, as each series is running concurrently. So while Captain America is dealing with a takeover of Washington D.C., let's say... you see that Iron Man is fighting AIM in Chicago and Banner/Hulk are tied up in South America. That kinda stuff.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

Pretty much a problem (if you want to call it that) in the comics as well, and basically on anything that ever had a team-up spinoff of some sorts. It can be really weird though, yes. Especially with the threat-meter is going up and up in the non-team movies/stories.

Blader

But that scene was showed in every trailers except the official teaser, it was unavoidable.

I actually believed Fury was dead and thought that scene might have been shot as a fakeout. The shot of Cap and Widow standing over Fury's body after he died was changed from the trailers to the movie (completely covered to having his head exposed) so I thought maybe something similar had happened there too.

Zebra

Speaking of the Twins, the kick ass kid really bulked up nicely as quicksilver

Holy shit.

I had completely forgotten reading about him playing the role, and despite seeing the credits scene and seeing tons of the set photos for AoU I still didn't piece it together that it was the same guy. He looks completely different to me.

BBboy20

This really did change everything. Every piece of alien artifact, imprisoned super villain, or secret weapon SHIELD has ever created or acquired, HYDRA has.....ooooohhhh shit. That basically makes every possible conflict in the MCU a HYDRA one.

Oh god, the Fridge in Agents of SHIELD!

Man, the Carter show is going to hurt knowing what happens in the end.

And like holy shit, that first mission was straight-up The Tanker Mission from MGS2 on steroids. Black Widow was like Sam Fisher with those internally-suppressed pistols but above him with those moves (seriously, that *one* shot was so perfect despite how cheesecake it was). Actually, of all the years I've been exposed to Cap, for some reason, I never seen him depicted as a sleuth of sorts before. That was very neat to see him being a modern stealth agent (though, in a very aggressive way); I'd like to see Cap doing more stealth missions in the future, possibly even somehow appear in a non-rushed video game where stealth is an option.

I agree with what others have said: they have to have use the same fight choreographers for every Marvel flim from here on out. Especially that knife fight. I love the fact Cap and Bucky were basically superhuman and somehow they still relied on such primitive weaponry to defeat each other. Actually, there were a lot of knives used in this film.

So the upcoming X-Men also has a Quicksilver who is the same character as the one seen in TWS but played by a different actor ? And both these actors were in Kick Ass ?

Talk about mindfucking the audience.

suaveric

Here's what I don't understand about any MCU movie post-Avengers. Why has the world seemingly not changed very much? That movie ended with an alien invasion taking out a good chunk of Manhattan and in every movie since then you'd almost not know anything like that happened. That would be a world history changing event, the ripples would be felt everywhere. And since then we've had Ironman and friends blow up parts of Miami and another small alien invasion in London.

Why would Hydra even care about taking over the world anymore when we've had two attacks from other planets/dimensions in the last two years? Doesn't Hydra see the bigger picture?

Blader

Here's what I don't understand about any MCU movie post-Avengers. Why has the world seemingly not changed very much? That movie ended with an alien invasion taking out a good chunk of Manhattan and in every movie since then you'd almost not know anything like that happened. That would be a world history changing event, the ripples would be felt everywhere. And since then we've had Ironman and friends blow up parts of Miami and another small alien invasion in London.

Why would Hydra even care about taking over the world anymore when we've had two attacks from other planets/dimensions in the last two years? Doesn't Hydra see the bigger picture?

What's the bigger picture then? Conquer other worlds?

If anything, stuff like alien invasions works to their advantage, because it's more chaos to fuel into their "Submit to our new world order" plan.

suaveric

If anything, stuff like alien invasions works to their advantage, because it's more chaos to fuel into their "Submit to our new world order" plan.

Why take over a world by taking out the only people you have that can stop an invasion? What would be the plan when the next group of intergalactic baddies show up next week? Seems kind of short-sighted now that they have a better idea about just where we fit in a much larger universe. Plus how did they think they were going to stop Banner? How could they think that shooting him from orbit would do anything?

SeanR1221

Doesn't bald monocle man have lokis staff? Seems they have a nice advantage in all this.

I liked that modern Hydra had discarded Nazi-ism and was just straight up totalitarian/fascist crazytown. RS works completely against that and isn't really all that interesting a villain because he's straight up evil, rather than the "think they're the good guys" sort of evil.

Yeah, it made them a lot more interesting. I bet we get a lot more in-depth with Hydra in AOS now that they're out in the open.

I think Fury will eventually be gone, replaced by Hill when the time comes.

Someone on Reddit said that her interviewing at Stark was a sign that she's going to get close to Tony, which apparently she does in Civil War. The Phase 4 Avengers movie being Civil War would be pretty cool, but without Spider-Man I feel like it'll just be missing something..

Ew, no. Civil War was awful.

I was just thinking that Hill can hold her emotion down better than Black Widow at the time.

Edit: btw, I was just thinking, the only one who know Fury is still alive is cap, falcon, widow, hill, and the guys treating Fury right?

Thr world still think he's dead, so if Fury is being an ass, it's possible that Coulson will never got the chance to meet Fury and ask him about the Blu alien with magic blood right?

Man, Fury's such a dick.

Saw this in 2D and 3D yesterday and absolutely loved it; the action sequences were some of the best yet seen in the MCU films, Evans continues to shine as Cap, and the back-and-forth between he, Scarlett's Widow, and Mackie's Falcon made me grin every time. I can't think of a single performance in this that I'd consider bad (except maybe Shandling, but that may have been intentional). Kind of wish the trailers hadn't given away some of the more important plot points, but overall I'll echo others' sentiments that it's easily the best of the "Phase 2" releases.

I think Fury will eventually be gone, replaced by Hill when the time comes.

Someone on Reddit said that her interviewing at Stark was a sign that she's going to get close to Tony, which apparently she does in Civil War. The Phase 4 Avengers movie being Civil War would be pretty cool, but without Spider-Man I feel like it'll just be missing something..

Stark had sex with Maria Hill during the Dark Avengers and Siege series.

Ew, no. Civil War was awful.

Nah brah, Civil War is fking BEAST! Best comic series EVER!

Top Bottom