• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Here's what I don't understand about any MCU movie post-Avengers. Why has the world seemingly not changed very much? That movie ended with an alien invasion taking out a good chunk of Manhattan and in every movie since then you'd almost not know anything like that happened. That would be a world history changing event, the ripples would be felt everywhere. And since then we've had Ironman and friends blow up parts of Miami and another small alien invasion in London.

Why would Hydra even care about taking over the world anymore when we've had two attacks from other planets/dimensions in the last two years? Doesn't Hydra see the bigger picture?
HYDRA in the comics probably would know the Hulk is essentially indestructible even in Banner form but would movie HYDRA know? Maybe they werent going to use the helicarrier guns on him and instead use sonic weapons?

Speaking of Civil War, the whole escape scene from Shield HQ reminded me of this Civil War scene.

jtXj0ck.jpg

Ripclawe

Banned
civil war can't work without Spidey and xmen and whoever else is missing from Disney/marvel verse. plus I doubt the storyline will go over well with general public as viewing entertainment.

great movie BTW.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I would not be surprised if, in AoS, we hear Hydra justifying their goals because a unified Earth is required to play in the big leagues. Now that the galaxy is discovering Earth.

Plus with Von Strucker's remark that there's nothing more horrifying than a miracle, I suspect it was in the sense of "a reality that cannot be controlled is the most dangerous". Modern, MCU Hydra may be characterized as brutal survivalists trying to whip the planet into shape.

Civil War had great art and an interesting concept, but it was a fucking mess. Both because Millar and most of the tie-in writers spent the vast majority of the storyline writing a number of major Marvel heroes as fairly unambiguous villains (or at least, siding with said villains), and because the ending did an abrupt about-face and said "hey, the villains are actually the good guys!" with almost no setup.

AWESOME movie. I thought it was cool how Captain America seems to be getting stronger/faster as time goes on, too. He's slowly becoming the legendary badass he's supposed to be.

NastyBook

The sheer number of players, both large and small, is enough reason to not go the Civil War route. That final fight would be missing several characters. I would kill to see a digital Spider Man pop 4 guys in a row before kicking an awe-struck Mr. Fantastic in the throat.

Civil War had great art and an interesting concept, but it was a fucking mess. Both because Millar and most of the tie-in writers spent the vast majority of the storyline writing a number of major Marvel heroes as fairly unambiguous villains (or at least, siding with said villains), and because the ending did an abrupt about-face and said "hey, the villains are actually the good guys!" with almost no setup.

Ironically, when Civil War was adapted to a video game (Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2) they solved the "problem" of making one side or another look like hypocritical maniacs by giving both of them a third faction to fight against at endgame. Why they let the comic event run so long without doing that and ruining tons of characters in the process is a mystery

Curious if tony noticed any oddities when he was haxing away in the avengers.

What did he get from that anyways? I forget.
If he got anything besides that Phase Two was about weaponizing the Tesseract, he didn't dwell on it or say anything. Especially when the next thing on everybody's mind was keep the Helicarrier from dropping.

Actually a big red flag should have been that Hydra weapons, completely intact from WWII and not even rebranded with SHIELD iconography, were in storage on that Helicarrier. Cap was the one who found them right before Stark's tracer found the files about their plans.

Dai101

Banned
Oh god, the Fridge in Agents of SHIELD!

Man, the Carter show is going to hurt knowing what happens in the end.

Also they have access to the Slingshot and the Sandbox. If needed they could release Blonsky and send him to piss on Banner's corn flakes

Stark had sex with Maria Hill during the Dark Avengers and Siege series.

Man, Stark had sexed the whole Marvel universe:

fIKRELx.jpg

I would mark the fuck out if that happens.

Seriously, what are the chances we'll see Cap taking up Mjolnir?

HIGH. He's worthy enough to pack a punch with Mew-Mew

Curious if tony noticed any oddities when he was haxing away in the avengers.

What did he get from that anyways? I forget.

He realized that SHIELD was creating weapons out of the Tesseract (altouhg Steve was faster than JARVIS for that) just like HYDRA had in the past in WWII.

Dave_6

Me and half of the theater had geek out moments when Sitwell mentioned Stephen Strange.

Damn this movie is soooo good!

If he got anything besides that Phase Two was about weaponizing the Tesseract, he didn't dwell on it or say anything. Especially when the next thing on everybody's mind was keep the Helicarrier from dropping.

Actually a big red flag should have been that Hydra weapons, completely intact from WWII and not even rebranded with SHIELD iconography, were in storage on that Helicarrier. Cap was the one who found them right before Stark's tracer found the files about their plans.
Haha that is pretty neat.

Was surprised that only one guy on the world council was hydra.

AMUSIX

Can somebody explain to me how Marvel and Fox can both make movies about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch?

When Marvel signed over the rights of the x-men universe to Fox, a clause allowed them to retain the use of the twins, because of their deep involvement in the Avengers.

Fox is not allowed to mention anything Avengers related.
Marvel is not allowed to mention anything mutant related.

Otherwise, both studios can use the characters.

Holy shit.

I had completely forgotten reading about him playing the role, and despite seeing the credits scene and seeing tons of the set photos for AoU I still didn't piece it together that it was the same guy. He looks completely different to me.

He does look a lot different than from Kick-Ass. This movie was great for me. Better than Avengers by far in terms of plot and action. Very few negatives with this film. The first fight shaky cam was noticeable to me and Widow's speech with the feds seemed weird. I was also expecting Falcon to say to Nick "Don't look at me, I don't I just got into this".

I do wonder however why Hawkeye wasn't involved with this considering he's a central S.H.I.E.L.D. character. Was he chilling in the Bahamas or something?

I'd freaking love CW as Avengers 3 or 4, but I concur on that without Spider-Man it's really not that interesting anymore.

I think Avengers 3 is a lock for Thanos, and I agree that there probably won't be enough heroes by Avengers 4 to make it worthwhile. However, the longer they wait the more actors they lose as well, so it's kind of a lose-lose.

I can live without a Civil War movie really, the logistics are baffling. I would hope Feige is smart enough to see this coming, and to also think "Yeah but without Spider-Man, what's the point?"

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So why does Quicksilver have blonde hair in Avengers 2...?

Odoul

Pretty, pretty good.

First great Marvel movie of their second act.

I like that it colors every single thing that has taken place in all previous Marvel movies.

The
corrupt Hydra senator
from Iron Man 2 was a huge oh shit moment.

More than made up for Thor 2.

Now the preview for Guardians didn't exactly thrill me but they got time.

Lirlond

I always find it weird when people say the audience reacted to it. We never get cheers or "oos" or shock or anything in Scotland. Sometimes you get laughs. Sometimes.

Top Bottom