• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Minion101

Banned
I always find it weird when people say the audience reacted to it. We never get cheers or "oos" or shock or anything in Scotland. Sometimes you get laughs. Sometimes.

Another time it happened was right before the Nick Fury grave stone reveal. I assumed there was something there for the comic nerds.

By the way. Do any comicbook guys know if the Hydra logo has something to do with Octo-Stalin?

i9Se54ltispyI.png

iG3dypY0yKQE.jpg

so fury's master plan was that he had 2 director level accounts registered for each of his eye.

Wonder how no one noticed that lol. hydra really needed to get some dudes who work at IT... seems like only the grunts are hydra and all the nerds weren't

When Danny Pudi showed up I was all "Wait! What if this entire movie is all in Abed's mind? WHAT IF THIS ENTIRE UNIVERSE IS IN ABED'S MIND????"

And then I refused to go further down that rabbit hole. Only madness lies in pursuing it further.

Kieli

Just watched it. It was very good (I don't read comics).

Winter Soldier/Bucky was as bad-ass as expected. Not many humans can duke it out CQC with Cap for so long. Hope to see him in future films, playing a role like Black Widow or the arrow guy.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's white, though...?
Oh. Still, I could have sworn it wasn't white in the post-credits scene...

Also, the one scene I think this movie absolutely nailed is when The Winter Soldier has his mask knocked off, and Cap realizes who he is. Most people I know already knew that TWS was Bucky Barnes, but when you see his face it really drives home the shock that Steve must have been feeling:

All of a sudden the monster that The Winter Soldier has been portrayed as looked very, very human. And when he said "Who the hell's Bucky?" he sounded completely normal. It really helped drive home the jarring fact that Steve's old friend had turned into something that wasn't like him at all. You'd expect this badass looking, gruff sounding war vet. But, no, it's just Bucky. Cap must have been feeling all kinds of weird about that, and they helped us, the audience, feel the same way.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That second post credit scene was bullshit.

Guy behind me yelled, " WE KNOW THIS. HALF THE MOVIE WAS ABOUT THIS!"

Kieli

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKk.

There was a mid-credit AND post-credits scene? WTF. They both sound amazing. Regret leaving so early.

I EVEN KNEW Marvel likes to do these post-credit scenes. WRYYYY.

Stinkles

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKk.

There was a mid-credit AND post-credits scene? WTF. They both sound amazing. Regret leaving so early.

I EVEN KNEW Marvel likes to do these post-credit scenes. WRYYYY.

The second one was pointless.

Kieli

That second post credit scene was bullshit.

Guy behind me yelled, " WE KNOW THIS. HALF THE MOVIE WAS ABOUT THIS!"

Wait, I don't think the scene was about the film revealing his identity. At least, I hope they don't think we're that stupid.

It's more about Bucky confronting his past and regaining his humanity.

Stinkles

Wait, I don't think the scene was about the film revealing his identity. At least, I hope they don't think we're that stupid.

But he had already saved Cap by then. So like, that arc was already complete.

Also apropos of nothing, my audience loved Guardians of the Galaxy.

Kieli

Fair enough. He's bad-ass, and I would like to see him pop-up in the future. Certainly can't be less effective than Hawkeye or Black Widow against planet-busting threads. :D

Stinkles

Fair enough. He's bad-ass, and I would like to see him pop-up in the future. Certainly can't be less effective than Hawkeye or Black Widow against planet-busting threads. :D

I loved it and him, but if I wait through credits desperate to piss I expect to see Namor punching Kraven on Asgard.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Movie had all the right elements but did not know what to do with them. There were moments that could have had profound emotional hooks but went unattended. I think it's clear they went and used Falcon and BW as foil characters, but this movie could have done more to delve deeper into the parallels of Steves relationship with his current friends and how important it was to him while continuing to lose grip on any memories of his past life (visiting museum, Peggy carter visit and fight for Bucky etc). Again, I think this is the story they were trying to tell and the one I wanted but I don't think it was cohesive at all.

This could be partly due to Evans who I think did not do a very good job in the film. The realization that the Winter Soldier was his best friend, the only one who stood by him when the world saw him as a thin useless man, turn bad and murdering people for past 50 years should have hit harder at home than it did. Bucky was the Falcon of his time and he was loyal. Evans did not sell that scene at all. The scene would have had a more profound effect, in my opinion, if Peggy died while Steve went to visit her but with the condition she was in, she in a sense may have very well been. So with Peggy lost, his only memories to his past are a museum and his friend whom he now knows is a massive murderer.

Then there's the question of how Steve stays Incorruptable and continues to inspire those around him as he did in the 50s. The movie sold this theme way short. Falcon is loyal to the legend and a man who outruns him but and nothing else. Black Widow is acting as some surrogate sister at times which was very weird and did not fit their relationship well at all. In the end, she doesn't care about hiding from her past and isn't ashamed of it being exposed but the transition to this end of her arc was non existent and it would have been nice to see Steve inspire her to this position.

Overall, I think this could have been a great movie but it relied more heavily on ill times and predictable jokes, fancy actions and loud noise to fill in the blanks when it should have been the characters that did. The actions scenes could have had more at stake if the emotional hooks were better implemented. There could have just been as important of a fight here as a Luke and Vader but when cap and Bucky face off at the end, I was so exhausted I just didn't give two cents.

A RottenTomatoes review?

I don't think Bucky fully recover his memories when he saves cap. It's more like I know this guy kind of thing. He's basically a different character than Bucky and at the end credit, they show him trying to learn more about this Bucky

Stinkles

I don't think Bucky fully recover his memories when he saves cap. It's more like I know this guy kind of thing. He's basically a different character than Bucky and at the end credit, they show him trying to learn more about this Bucky

Yes but the movie already gave you enough ingredients to bake that pie yourself.

Should have been Nova having a truck fight with Hulk.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing missing there was **By Armond White

Sounds about right. Here's a snippet from his The Winter Soldier review: "Evans’s cartoon image lacks the uncanny moral resonance that distinguished the compassionate Superman in Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel – the best in the recent surfeit of comic-book movies, where feeling and action were combined to a graphic/spiritual purpose."

All credibility lost.

Yes but the movie already gave you enough ingredients to bake that pie yourself.

Should have been Nova having a truck fight with Hulk.

While I have no problem with the after credits sequences we got, I can't say there is anything about your suggestion that I wouldn't have gone ballistic over.

LosDaddie

Banned
Great movie. It's up there with the best MCU movies. I appreciate how the tone was much different that Thor 2's tone. And that's a good thing. Let Thor be fantasy & magic, and Capt be action thriller.

I was slightly bummed my group had a couple broke asses who didn't want to see the IMAX version.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So is anyone else in agreement that this movie gave off extremely strong Metal Gear Solid vibes?

I mean damn it's like a dream come true. The Zola conversation was so reminiscent of the Federal Hall MGS2 scene.

Adam Blue

Movie had all the right elements but did not know what to do with them. There were moments that could have had profound emotional hooks but went unattended. I think it's clear they went and used Falcon and BW as foil characters, but this movie could have done more to delve deeper into the parallels of Steves relationship with his current friends and how important it was to him while continuing to lose grip on any memories of his past life (visiting museum, Peggy carter visit and fight for Bucky etc). Again, I think this is the story they were trying to tell and the one I wanted but I don't think it was cohesive at all.

This could be partly due to Evans who I think did not do a very good job in the film. The realization that the Winter Soldier was his best friend, the only one who stood by him when the world saw him as a thin useless man, turn bad and murdering people for past 50 years should have hit harder at home than it did. Bucky was the Falcon of his time and he was loyal. Evans did not sell that scene at all. The scene would have had a more profound effect, in my opinion, if Peggy died while Steve went to visit her but with the condition she was in, she in a sense may have very well been. So with Peggy lost, his only memories to his past are a museum and his friend whom he now knows is a massive murderer.

Then there's the question of how Steve stays Incorruptable and continues to inspire those around him as he did in the 50s. The movie sold this theme way short. Falcon is loyal to the legend and a man who outruns him but and nothing else. Black Widow is acting as some surrogate sister at times which was very weird and did not fit their relationship well at all. In the end, she doesn't care about hiding from her past and isn't ashamed of it being exposed but the transition to this end of her arc was non existent and it would have been nice to see Steve inspire her to this position.

Overall, I think this could have been a great movie but it relied more heavily on ill times and predictable jokes, fancy actions and loud noise to fill in the blanks when it should have been the characters that did. The actions scenes could have had more at stake if the emotional hooks were better implemented. There could have just been as important of a fight here as a Luke and Vader but when cap and Bucky face off at the end, I was so exhausted I just didn't give two cents.

No offense, but this reminds me of Mac having to explain the plot in Lethal Weapon 5. If they tried to go any further with characterization it would have been a bit to heavy-handed.

So is anyone else in agreement that this movie gave off extremely strong Metal Gear Solid vibes?

I mean damn it's like a dream come true. The Zola conversation was so reminiscent of the Federal Hall MGS2 scene.

It had that tone, especially on the "tanker" in the beginning. Someone else said they noticed a musical cue at that part, but even on a second watch I didn't notice it.

Dai101

Banned

Never played a metal gear game in my life. I get bored with those.

Minion101

Banned

The Zola conversation seemed like a commentary on the snowden leaks/patriot act.

”Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.” -Ben Franklin

I disagree with paragraph 2 and 4, but you nail it with paragraph 1 and 3. There was a ton of potential in Act 1 and 2. But many themes and ideas were dropped, and Act 3 turned into another superhero Act 3. It wasn't bad, but it lacked tension and emotion. I'm too tired to add much more.

Tizoc

Well the start of the movie with them saving the hostages from the pirates felt MGS-like to me with Cap going all Solid Snake =P

I can't wait for Captain America and Sharon to start a relationship in the next movie!

Sharon: "Oh Steve, remember that time we fell in love arguing over movie factoids that I should have known?"

Brakke

Banned

Did we even see the same movie? Bucky had exactly zero experiences, exactly no growth. He was a bad guy. Then he sort of remembered his past. He had what sixteen words in the whole movie?

Seems like you're reading between the lines, giving this movie too much credit.

Thing had either sixteen too many rewrites, or sixteen too few.

I was pretty happy about "deploy the algorithm" though. That's just stupid enough to say all the time at work.

Kieli

Did we even see the same movie? Bucky had exactly zero experiences, exactly no growth. He was a bad guy. Then he sort of remembered his past. He had what sixteen words in the whole movie?

I was pretty happy about "deploy the algorithm" though. That's just stupid enough to say all the time at work.

Yeah, I worded the sentence bad. I mean more in the fact that Bucky is embarking on the path to discover who he truly is/was.

Bucky starts as mindless assassin, end the movie as someone searching for his past, what would you call this if it's not a character growth? it's not much, but we assume it'll be expanded on the sequel.

I really like the scene where Cap got beat up by WS at the end, WS said Cap is his mission and Cap told him to finish the mission.

Minion101

Banned
Yeah the opening felt like a homage to MGS2, but I don't really think the movie on a whole had many MGS vibes.

Now that I think about it. There was a fight in an elevator. Never thought of metal gear at all though. Maybe I would have had I played it recently.

Top Bottom