• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

I can see it now:

Captain america finds a pay phone and thumbs through his paper blackbook of contacts.

At least Marvel characters can easily be out of reach. Thor's not on the planet, Tony Stark routinely is incommunicado of his own choice, Banner's hiding, Hawkeye...well, who cares.

There's no excuse in DC. All you gotta do is yell "Clark! It's me and I need help!". He can hear you.

;^)

Moondrop

Banned
I really enjoyed the movie, particularly the action scenes and Chris Evans. But I can't seem to rave about it like everyone else. I feel my reluctance is due to two factors:

1) There were no surprises for comic/MCU fans.
a. I knew the identity of the Winter Soldier.
b. I knew Hydra was returning to the MCU since the first episode of Agents of SHIELD.
c. I knew Redford was a villain since the first trailer.

2) Hydra's plan is to achieve world domination via three airships- do I have this right? They're going to secure everything with three ships? I understand Cap and friends had to stop them from killing thousands on the East coast. But are we really supposed to believe that those three ships will have the opportunity to kill millions? That some other country- not to mention all the rest of the US military that isn't SHIELD- wouldn't blow them out of the sky with an ICBM?

Which is fine, I don't need to see it happen in the movie. But I just don't think Marvel just outright killed one of their more iconic Cap villains that can appear for plenty more stories. It doesn't fit their style.
Marvel has killed villains before. All ironman villains are killed, malekith from thor too, I'm not sure what Zola can add anymore when there seems like many other villain for cap

Marvel has killed villains before. All ironman villains are killed, malekith from thor too, I'm not sure what Zola can add anymore when there seems like many other villain for cap

Yeah but I'd hardly call any of them major villains. Stane is a one-trick pony/copycat badguy, Whiplash was a shit combination of two already barely known Iron Man villains, and Killian wasn't even a villain in the book. Malekith could have been developed better, but he's also a relatively low-impact Thor baddie.

Zola has consistently been one of Cap's biggest nemeses after Red Skull and Zemo. He's also a key part of a major Agent 13 story arc. It would be akin to Marvel killing off Loki after Thor 1, the kind of poor foresight for planning out future stories that I'd expect from Sony or Fox.

After the event from avengers 1, stark came to Fury and said the helicarrier turbine engine sucks so he give them some tips for upgrades

Loved that line from Fury, Stark definitely got a "close look" at the turbines during Avengers. :p

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
2) Hydra's plan is to achieve world domination via three airships- do I have this right? They're going to secure everything with three ships? I understand Cap and friends had to stop them from killing thousands on the East coast. But are we really supposed to believe that those three ships will have the opportunity to kill millions? That some other country- not to mention all the rest of the US military that isn't SHIELD- wouldn't blow them out of the sky with an ICBM?

They're more advanced than the helicarrier from Avengers, so it's not that hard to assume it can cloak itself. Also, I would think Hydra would have a heads up on any action against them thanks to infiltrating most/all levels of SHIELD.

Moondrop

Banned
They're more advanced than the helicarrier from Avengers, so it's not that hard to assume it can cloak itself. Also, I would think Hydra would have a heads up on any action against them thanks to infiltrating most/all levels of SHIELD.

I know I shouldn't over-analyze science fiction, but:
a) Yeah let's assume they can cloak... I still doubt they can cloak while simultaneously firing massive guns to kill millions of people.
b) That makes sense in principle, except Hydra's cover was blown when they went ahead with the airship launch. So we can reasonably deduce that they thought they could achieve their goal without control of all SHIELD functionality.

Salamando

They also have control of some hyper-advanced satellite network that can see through walls. Not hard to believe they could also see any incoming threats and direct the ships to shoot 'em down.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Best news is, if Stange is currently a threat to Hydra is means the inevitable movie won't be an origin story, which is awesome. Easily my favorite Marvel character with my least favorite origin.

Or the origin will take chronologically take place before Winter Soldier. You can't do a character who is so 'out there' in terms of the logic of this universe, and not do his origin.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I really enjoyed the movie, particularly the action scenes and Chris Evans. But I can't seem to rave about it like everyone else. I feel my reluctance is due to two factors:

1) There were no surprises for comic/MCU fans.
a. I knew the identity of the Winter Soldier.
b. I knew Hydra was returning to the MCU since the first episode of Agents of SHIELD.
c. I knew Redford was a villain since the first trailer.

a) the identity of the winter soldier was a surprise for Cap not the audience

b) Hydra and Aim will never go away, where one head is cut off two more shall take its place, they kinda explain hydra's change in methodology in the film. Hydra resurfacing again is a surprise to Cap and maybe Fury though he probably suspects everyone and expects everything. *where are you baron zemo!!??*

c)lol considering how they put him in the trailers this was hard to be surprised about i mean look at em at best he's a guy that is being dirty so people can get a job done... i mean again you knew he was evil ...so what its not like they hid that for 2 hours he's quickly shown to be part of the plot for most of the movie i dont think that was hidden either. I could see if the final act was where he turned but he pretty much went for the kill shot like..very early in the film so meh.

the real question is did you know that agent Hill was in the car ???

No they werent going to take over teh world with 3 airships, they were going to systematically eliminate the opposition that stopped them during WWII by convincing people that they could be trusted and therefore GIVEN the authority to "stop" people who would threaten their "order" the whole idea is that no one will resist because they will have gained so much trust that they will be the authority on these things and who will question their order? They will already be dead. The whole thing with Zola and Redford kinda laid out their angle.

Salamando

Best news is, if Stange is currently a threat to Hydra is means the inevitable movie won't be an origin story, which is awesome. Easily my favorite Marvel character with my least favorite origin.

Zola's algorithm also identified people who could be a threat. Strange just might be a loudspoken world-class surgeon who could convince people to not give up their freedoms.

I liked Duckroll's idea of how to deal with it:

I'm sure there's tons of wacky schemes our heroes can get into that prevents them from showing up in each others movies.

Hire me Marvel.

Love it.

397ff56d0576c8416ff136e045d1b22ae84f77ef055fe3e12ba6672fd382397e.jpg

This is just a real picture.

where was the Strange namedrop?

Five seconds after they threw Sitwell off the roof. He was babbling about Stephan Strange, Tony Stark, Cairo (maybe) and a valedictorian.

They also have control of some hyper-advanced satellite network that can see through walls. Not hard to believe they could also see any incoming threats and direct the ships to shoot 'em down.

There was also the fact that they thought they had killed Fury. There was no other way to override Pierce's command. Aside from that important aspect, their plan was relatively foolproof.

kurbaan

Banned
One throwaway line where tries to reach Iron Man. NOT ENOUGH. Every Marvel movie should now have a scene where the Hero runs through his contact list and leaves a voicemail for every other hero.

I'm so sick of this stupid pointless argument.

What line? If they didn't want people to go where are the other STRONGER heroes they shouldn't have made a universe where cap and all these other guys look like peons.

There is a reason no one takes comics seriously.

Zola's algorithm also identified people who could be a threat. Strange just might be a loudspoken world-class surgeon who could convince people to not give up their freedoms.

I don't really feel like pre-training Stephen is that kind of character, unless Marvel retcons his character to make him less of a douche somehow.

inky

http://www.craveonline.com/film/int...captain-america-the-avengers-2-and-dr-strange

Another thing you hint at, openly, is… you do use the words “Doctor Strange.”

Right. Stephen Strange.

Right. We know who he is.

Right.

Does that imply that he’s active somewhere and we just don’t know it, or is that something to figure out later? Or maybe he doesn’t even know how important he is?

Well, “we” know what it means and where we want to head with it, but we were comfortable with keeping it in there and leaving it in there because there are a few different ways to interpret it. The whole thing, what Sitwell’s saying is, this algorithm is going to predict if you’re going to become a problem for Hydra or not. So you don’t have to just be Tony Stark, actively plotting to save the world. You could be a kid whose SAT scores and whose essays have indicated that you’re going to be a problem one day. So is Stephen Strange the Sorcerer Supreme? Probably not at that point. Is he an unbelievably talented neurosurgeon who’s opinionated and kind of arrogant? Probably. That might put him on the list.

McBryBry

I really like how by the end, this basically turned into a different interpretation of a Secret Avengers team. I'm not sure if it's just me, but I had that thought the entire finale.

Tobor

What line? If they didn't want people to go where are the other STRONGER heroes they shouldn't have made a universe where cap and all these other guys look like peons.

There is a reason no one takes comics seriously.

There is no line, nor should there be one. Anyone with common sense and an ounce of imagination can figure out why Iron Man wasn't there, and didn't need to be there.

Salamando

There is no line, nor should there be one. Anyone with common sense and an ounce of imagination can figure out why Iron Man wasn't there, and didn't need to be there.

Weren't all of Iron Man's suits destroyed at the end of Iron Man 3 anyway? He's not done being Iron Man, but it definitely sounded like he was taking a break.

"Dad, He couldn't call the Avengers because they were busy right?"

My five year old.

Azulsky

At least Marvel characters can easily be out of reach. Thor's not on the planet, Tony Stark routinely is incommunicado of his own choice, Banner's hiding, Hawkeye...well, who cares.

There's no excuse in DC. All you gotta do is yell "Clark! It's me and I need help!". He can hear you.

;^)

Many of the DC characters can be offworld

Shaanyboi

Banned
Weren't all of Iron Man's suits destroyed at the end of Iron Man 3 anyway? He's not done being Iron Man, but it definitely sounded like he was taking a break.
Well he's definitely suiting up at some point in Avengers 2 but I wouldn't be surprised if that was more towards the end to correct his mistake of Ultron.

"Dad, He couldn't call the Avengers because they were busy right?"

My five year old.

Just tell your five year old that "if he tried contacting them, SHIELD would be able to find where he was and shoot another missile. They had to lay low." That seemed like the fairly obvious reason.

inky

LOL, 4 people have avoided your punch now? Kinda want to get it off the "signature punch" list if that's true.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Nah. Definitely not "extremely strong", if there is any at a. It's only there if you want it to be there.

Oh definitely, it's not like I'm saying it was intentional either. But the AI scene combined with the coincidental ship opening made me instantly think of MGS2 while watching, not to mention the idea that the conflicts throughout history were part of some big 'ole conspiracy (the war economy).

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Pretty much this.
Also something to take note of is the fact that these movies are happening in a VERY tight time frame. IM3 happened over the course of a few days and so did Cap 2. Hell, most of Thor 2 wasn't even on earth and the final battle was very fast and sudden. Marvel's actually doing a great job at showing why everyone doesn't just "Call up Tony". In Cap 2 they had their own lil crew of people able and willing to do what they had to to get the job done ... no need to call up Tony at the climax and wait for how ever long it's gonna take him to get there just to help with the chip plug ins. At a certain point it doesn't seem too practical to rely on outside help on time sensitive matters that could be within your range of doing.

Uhhh, wut? The whole thing about these things was that they were god's hand level killing machines that float in the sky and would kill millions without warning. If Tony's not in his suit when that thing fires he would be dead before he knew there was a threat to be had. In his armor? He would likely not be able to do much to ships given their fire power before they ultimately over power him. And this movie's Hulk's limits haven't been set yet ... it could very well be that if Banner is suddenly obliterated with a hellstorm of missiles and bullets out of the blue that there's no Hulking out, just death. "But he tried to kill himself" yeah, with a predetermined act of violence that he knew was coming.

Nah, Hulk took down on of the alien whales completely alone in the Avengers, Would Be A Cake Walk here.

I really liked that despite the much more serious tone you still had stuff that honored the character's history like him stealing his uniform from the museum.

It really didn't have a place in this movie and is actually pretty silly
but it just worked.

Ripclawe

Banned
any list of what Hydra being Shield has an effect on the marvel movies beforehand like scenes being seen in a different light?

Top Bottom