• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
This felt like such a good "Act 2" in the Cap trilogy. Probably my favorite Marvel movie, I loved the "small but big" scale everything has.

The Stephen Strange namedrop got me geeked out as fuck, as did the sort-of confirmation that Loki's staff contains the Mind Gem... looks like we have Power, Space & Mind locked up already. Maybe we'll get Soul in the Dr. Strange movie?

This discussion boils my blood. My hopes are that, after Days of Future Past and Spidey 2 releases, the gulf in quality becomes so apparent, at least in terms of characterizations and world-building, that an internet outrage transpires and places pressure on FOX/SONY to work something reasonable out with Marvel to allow them use of those properties. I'm honestly of the mind of boycotting anything FOX/SONY does with the properties at this point.

Winter Soldier/Avengers set the bar so high, it's made me realize how absolutely pointless anticipating any of those releases are. They aren't "really" X-Men and it's not "really" Spiderman. Among those worlds are some of my favorite characters, generally, and not being able to see them get the treatment they deserve is really frustrating.

This probably comes across as some daft, fanboy raving to some, but I can't imagine at least one other person out there doesn't feel this way.

Not enough people do (as if Sony/Fox would listen to an internet boycott anyway). The Spiderman and Xmen movies will continue to be cash cows for them. And once they stop, they will just reboot them and start over. Give up the dream. Wolverine and SPiderman are as likely to show up in the MCU as Superman and Batman are.

shield

If anyone was wondering what James Cameron thought of the film:

"I did think that this new Captain America was an interesting film for its genre, in that it tackled this idea of digital surveillance and the kind of dark side of our hyperconnected society."

(From his AMA)

Cipherr

This discussion boils my blood. My hopes are that, after Days of Future Past and Spidey 2 releases, the gulf in quality becomes so apparent, at least in terms of characterizations and world-building, that an internet outrage transpires and places pressure on FOX/SONY to work something reasonable out with Marvel to allow them use of those properties. I'm honestly of the mind of boycotting anything FOX/SONY does with the properties at this point.

Winter Soldier/Avengers set the bar so high, it's made me realize how absolutely pointless anticipating any of those releases are. They aren't "really" X-Men and it's not "really" Spiderman. Among those worlds are some of my favorite characters, generally, and not being able to see them get the treatment they deserve is really frustrating.

This probably comes across as some daft, fanboy raving to some, but I can't imagine at least one other person out there doesn't feel this way.

I had a similar feel once Marvel got a handle on their Universe and started handling it all properly. With WS they are just on a roll now, and the gulf in quality is just gaping at this point.

But I just feel that perhaps the fact that marvel doesn't have the rights is a good thing. Maybe they are handling things so well because they have this limited amount to work with. /shrug

Theres no way to know for sure, Im just happy they are doing as well as they are now. X-Men/Wolverine and Spidey right now feel fucking amateur in comparison to the way the MCU is moving. Only Dark Night was even in the same ballpark.

BLACKLAC

If anyone was wondering what James Cameron thought of the film:

"I did think that this new Captain America was an interesting film for its genre, in that it tackled this idea of digital surveillance and the kind of dark side of our hyperconnected society."

(From his AMA)

Ask him if he'd like to do a Marvel movie.

Really not interested in the slightest in a Cameron helmed Marvel film. The budget will be even bigger than they already are and I'm not sure he can bring a particularly interesting angle to the universe.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
In theory (and I'm sure it has to be asked before, since it's kinda the obvious question) - since
Quicksilver and Witch are allowed if not mutants
, can Spider-Man be allowed if it's Ben Reilly?

edit: dunno if spoiler-worthy, but just in case.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch it depends on just how prominently they were featured in the Avengers. They may have debuted in X-Men, but they only featured in five issues before being added to the Avengers.

While Rogue and Beast have had similar cross-over it's not been anywhere as big.
Definitely this.

I think I'm more curious about the possibility of obtaining licensing for Dr. Doom as an Avengers villain rather than B or C tier X-Men, which will look out of place in the absence of the A-listers.

I think Marvel realizes what sort of power they have. Pulling on big properties is key, obviously, but if they're able to successfully translate virtually unknown-to-the-public characters like The Winter Soldier, Malekith, and to some degree Thor and Iron Man to the masses, I don't think they'll have trouble making stars out of less popular characters in the comics. I mean, that's part of GotG as a test.

In theory (and I'm sure it has to be asked before, since it's kinda the obvious question) - since

I doubt it. I don't think it legally matters that it's a different person under the mask. The general public primarily knows of the superhero identity.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

I think they "own" all rights to the Spider-verse. That is why all of Spidey's villains fall under Fox. So no Miles Morales, or any other Spider-Man

I had a similar feel once Marvel got a handle on their Universe and started handling it all properly. With WS they are just on a roll now, and the gulf in quality is just gaping at this point.

But I just feel that perhaps the fact that marvel doesn't have the rights is a good thing. Maybe they are handling things so well because they have this limited amount to work with. /shrug

Theres no way to know for sure, Im just happy they are doing as well as they are now. X-Men/Wolverine and Spidey right now feel fucking amateur in comparison to the way the MCU is moving. Only Dark Night was even in the same ballpark.

Yeah, I think if anything the Fantastic Four are probably next, most likely candidate for Marvel to get back. With X-Men and Spider-Man, there are fans that still want to see it despite knowing the difference with the MCU films.

Doubt it, but then the MCU does feature Iron Patriot, an armor made by Norman Osborn originally.

fader

Doubt it, but then the MCU does feature Iron Patriot, an armor made by Norman Osborn originally.

right, but they don't mention norman osborn as the creator of the armor in the movie. it's like the twins, they don't mention their mutants or magneto's kids

Gawge

Saw this today, really enjoyed it.

I actually watched the first Captain America film a couple of days ago, and didn't really enjoy it much. But this may well be my favourite film so far in this Marvel Universe. In a way, it kind of felt like Avengers 1.5 at times, but benefitted from that more focused style without requiring several huge characters and constant action.

One thing that I didn't think worked too well was the whole "Winter Soldier" thing. Even though it is the title of the film, he is only one aspect of it, and probably my least favourite part. I just don't think it really added much.

But overall, pretty good.

Edit: Additional question regarding character rights.

- What is the deal with Villains? Given that villains are traditionally tied to one hero/group, but have plenty of precedent for interaction with other characters. Can only Fox use Dr. Doom for example?

It would definitely be great if Marvel had the rights to all their characters but I also think only having access to certain ones may be helping them keep the quality consistent. Imagine if they not only had to worry about making the MCU universe they've made so far, but add on top of that weaving in the X-men and Spider-man universes. I'd love to see it done right, but I also think the chances of it turning to mud would be high with so many characters and threads to tie together.

AMUSIX

Most villains are indeed tied to the property that spawned them. So Green Goblin, The Vulture, etc, are included in the Spider-Man rights, Dr. Doom and Galactus are included in the Fantastic Four rights, and Molecule Man is tied up with Man-Thing.

Uncle

Edit: Additional question regarding character rights.

- What is the deal with Villains? Given that villains are traditionally tied to one hero/group, but have plenty of precedent for interaction with other characters. Can only Fox use Dr. Doom for example?

Yeah, some villains are tied to the licenses other studios hold, Dr Doom, Galactus, Magneto and Annihilus for example.

So I was redeeming a code from a Marvel comic...

IMG_20140410_211924239_zps4ce653ed.jpg

Hail Hyrda.

Gawge

Most villains are indeed tied to the property that spawned them. So Green Goblin, The Vulture, etc, are included in the Spider-Man rights, Dr. Doom and Galactus are included in the Fantastic Four rights, and Molecule Man is tied up with Man-Thing.

Yeah, some villains are tied to the licenses other studios hold, Dr Doom, Galactus, Magneto and Annihilus for example.

I imagined that would be the case, Doctor Doom or Galactus would probably be first pick material for a lead Avengers villain.

The likes of Spidey, Doctor Doom and Galactus really would add a lot to the MCU. But, i'm not going to let that force me into disliking the Amazing Spider-Man films, of which I think the first was pretty decent/good (and I hope the second will be better).

When it comes to X-Men and the Fantastic Four - that would complicate the MCU to quite a large degree. It would be very interesting to see how it could work, but I think it would be very difficult once you start having teams within teams, universes within universes - and only a few 2hr films each year to do it in.

I'm not very knowledgeable on the rights issues. When do they actually expire? Is it indefinite until the characters have not been used for a certain amount of time?

Could there be any chance of Fox and Sony teaming up to compete with the MCU, having Spidey in the Fantastic Four, even teaming up with the X-Men etc...?

Honestly, of all the errant rights, I think Namor and Fantastic Four are the ones Marvel should get back.

X-Men and Spidey work very well as solo universes, even if the execution isn't as great as we'd like, but Namor/Fantastic Four just really need a broader context. Also, in the case of FF, they've got the best villains.

Uncle

I think that the unavailable villains is a bigger deal, since you go through villains faster than heroes. And of course if GOTG takes of with the cosmic Marvel stuff, Galactus and Annihilus would be really awesome.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I saw this yesterday. Even with how hyped I was going in it was still very entertaining. Best marvel action flick, but avengers is still their best superhero movie.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
No idea why they have to go the "miracle" route with explaining the twins. Agents of Shield already established that some people just have special powers. No need to further explain it.

i think they are hint at they were able to use the cepter / gem to bestow powers upon test subjects is all. Miracle, Breakthru, one in a million chance, whatever.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
James Cameron worked on a treatment for Spider-Man in the 90s. He was the one who came up with the organic web shooters. I know a lot of comic purists hate them, but I thought it worked well in Raimi's films.

Dai101

Banned
A James Cameron Superhero film would murder everything at the box office. People wouldn't even want to release in the same month.

Or the next 3 months

James Cameron worked on a treatment for Spider-Man in the 90s. He was the one who came up with the organic web shooters. I know a lot of comic purists hate them, but I thought it worked well in Raimi's films.

Yup. I mean, dude is a dork, unlucky and poor and somehow designed and fabricated a polymer that is strongest than steel and flexible and portable as thread. He will be BILLIONAIRE if sold it. Reed Richard is useless indeed

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Die anyone here ever read the script of Camerons Spider-Man?
If you had, you would know that nobody should let him destroy a character...

I dunno. I always saw the whole web-shooters thing as less of a "Reed Richards is useless" thing and more of a "Peter Parker is a Dumbass Genius" thing.

Gawge

I've actually started reading the early Spider-Man comics recently, and there is a point where Peter is desperate for money, he tries to sell his Web technology to some sort of adhesive/glue company, but then when they find out that the Web dissolves after an hour, they just laugh at him. Peter says he could develop Web that wouldn't dissolve, but he doesn't have the time.

I don't know who is more stupid, the company who couldn't make use of an amazing short term material like that. Or Peter for giving up after one visit. But that is Peter in a way, he is obviously a genius, but nothing works out for him, and he doesn't really trust anyone, so he just wallows in self pity.

This could be true, depending on how the contracts were worded... but what would Miles really be worth without being Spider Man?
Nothing really. Miles IS Spider-Man, but they could probably mention him or have him on-screen without a costume.

Well, if they used Mile's costume people would probably start accusing them of being racist since its a black guy in a black suit.
I guess so. I never really thought about that. But you could probably change the costume enough so it wasn't black if that's an issue.

Fortune

Neo Member
I didn't care for the first film but this movie is how Captain America should have been from the beginning. I also think the additions of falcon and black widow were a perfect addition to the roster.

Slayven

Why would he tied to Man Thing?

Top Bottom