• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

i wish they would stop with the Stan Lee cameos in every Marvel movie. Every time half of the cinema feels compelled to point it out during the movie and then explain it to their group who didn't know.

Takes me out of the experience and it's overall annoying.

Sorian

Banned
i wish they would stop with the Stan Lee cameos in every Marvel movie. Every time half of the cinema feels compelled to point it out during the movie and then explain it to their group who didn't know.

Youre-Entitled-To-Your-Wrong-Opinion-Reaction-Gif.gif

Seriously though, Stan Lee is an awesome dude and if he wants a bit role in all of the marvel movies then he deserves it without a second thought.

Ovid

No, he must stay.

Gorillaz

I like the Stan Lee stuff personally.

Also I would be interested as well in a movie where they don't go all boom boom pow explosion in the end as well. At least one time. Sometimes the more focused endings are better then the CGI, nuking the entire set, ones

kurahador

I disagree. Though GOTG won't have him.

I kinda hope that Marvel finds a way to escape the noisy CGIfest final action sequence pattern they've been in. It was great in the Avengers, and its just kinda been diminishing returns ever since. Especially in a movie like Winter Soldier, that's like 2/3rds taut conspiracy thriller, then the wings come out and its just another Marvel blockbuster
I said the exact same thing after the movie. I loved the movie, and it was because Act 1 and Act 2 were so different from a lot of what we've gotten from Marvel movies so far. Then bam. Act 3 hits and we're back to the typical Act 3 of a Marvel movie. So close.

RangerX

Banned

This is a crazy opinion. I love his cameos. In fact I think he should play doctor strange.

number11

I agree about the generic third act complaints. Marvel say they don't want the 'superhero' genre labeled on their films, yet they keep going down the same route of what's expected from a superhero film.

The problem is that the third act fight is what the audience expects to see. It's similar when people complain about Iron Man 3 being about Tony Stark and not Iron Man.

It's not a super hero movie third act... it's an action movie third act. And I have zero problems with it. I don't want Casablanca with Marvel characters. There's no point to that. Adding depth and mixing different genres in the films? Great! Removing action from films about super heroes who literally fight to solve problems seems like it would be disingenuous and a waste.

This is a crazy opinion. I love his cameos. In fact I think he should play doctor strange.

That would not really work out I believe. He's 91.

I wonder what will happen when he dies? Will Marvel find creative ways to reference him in the movies? LIke have a portrait of him in a museum exhibit.

FSLink

Banned
It's not a super hero movie third act... it's an action movie third act. And I have zero problems with it. I don't want Casablanca with Marvel characters. There's no point to that. Adding depth and mixing different genres in the films? Great! Removing action from films about super heroes who literally fight to solve problems seems like it would be disingenuous and a waste.

Yeah, I don't mind the third acts in how they play out.

Though can we please stop with the "hero's mask/helmet falls off conveniently during the last act so the audience can see the actual person" thing?

I'm fine with whatever we call it---superhero or action movie third act. It's pretty much the same thing. Either way, no one was asking for a third act with no action. But what was great about Captain America's fights were how up close and personal they were, with a lot of the usual CG we're used to stripped down. Then the third act kicked in, and the personal touch was lost. It was a good third act, but it wasn't as good as Act 1 and Act 2 led the movie up to, based off my expectations for the film, from the film.

ultron87

Yeah, I don't mind the third acts in how they play out.

Though can we please stop with the "hero's mask/helmet falls off conveniently during the last act so the audience can see the actual person" thing?
This movie actually lasted surprisingly long with Caps helmet staying on in the big fight. He doesn't take it off until the very very end after he gets Bucky out from under the wreckage.

I'm fine with whatever we call it---superhero or action movie third act. It's pretty much the same thing. Eitehr way, no one was asking for a third act with no action. But what was great about Captain America's fights were how up close and personal they were, with a lot of the usual CG we're used to stripped down. Then the third act kicked in, and the personal touch was lost. It was a good third act, but it wasn't as good as Act 1 and Act 2 led the movie up to, based off my expectations for the film, from the film.

That's where I'm at. The opening ship set piece and the car chase/street fight stuck with me a lot more than the boilerplate generic CG fest ending. It felt like it just went on forever, going through all the motions right down to exact beats of how Rogers climbs up the metal thing, then falls down, then the bad guy is there, then so on and so forth.

I'm fine with whatever we call it---superhero or action movie third act. It's pretty much the same thing. Eitehr way, no one was asking for a third act with no action. But what was great about Captain America's fights were how up close and personal they were, with a lot of the usual CG we're used to stripped down. Then the third act kicked in, and the personal touch was lost. It was a good third act, but it wasn't as good as Act 1 and Act 2 led the movie up to, based off my expectations for the film, from the film.

It's the crescendo of the film. The stakes have to be raised and I can't think of a way to raise them without huge action set pieces. In other films, they can keep the small, intimate action scenes for the climax because the stakes are more personal. But how exactly do you do that with superheroes? Nobody is going to buy that Cap actually might die and there's few other people in the Universe that they could damsel that would feel like a legitimate risk either.

jmood88

That's where I'm at. The opening ship set piece and the car chase/street fight stuck with me a lot more than the boilerplate generic CG fest ending. It felt like it just went on forever, going through all the motions right down to exact beats of how Rogers climbs up the metal thing, then falls down, then the bad guy is there, then so on and so forth.

The only thing that really annoyed me was the "Captain American stops the bad guys with one second left on the clock" thing. I really wish that they made a different choice with that and eliminated the timer entirely. They could've kept the tension up without literally putting in a countdown.

Upping the stakes doesn't always have to mean giant explosions and shit. Hell, you couldn't raise the stakes higher than that last confrontation between Batman/Gordon/Harvey in the ending of TDK, and that was just three dudes standing in the dark. I remember a lot more about that personal, quiet battle between Bruce and Bane in TDKR than any of the giant noisy bombastic shit from the finale with the huge bomb.

Sorian

Banned
Upping the stakes doesn't always have to mean giant explosions and shit. Hell, you couldn't raise the stakes higher than that last confrontation between Batman/Gordon/Harvey in the ending of TDK, and that was just three dudes standing in the dark. I remember a lot more about that personal, quiet battle between Bruce and Bane in TDKR than any of the giant noisy bombastic shit from the finale with the huge bomb.

I'd argue that the stakes were higher when it was just Cap and Bucky in the final helicarrier than when there were explosions and such going on outside. The climax was still a personal, quiet battle IMO.

The only thing that really annoyed me was the "Captain American stops the bad guys with one second left on the clock" thing. I really wish that they made a different choice with that and eliminated the timer entirely. They could've kept the tension up without literally putting in a countdown.
It's odd how I kind of overlooked this, but yeah. Crazy that this mechanic still exists in films. Random story: when I submitted one of my scripts to a studio and received actual feedback, their number one complaint was that my script lacked a "ticking bomb". The fact my protagonist only had 48 hours in the story to do what he needed to do wasn't good enough. They wanted something physical in the script to remind viewers/readers/whatever in the third act. A watch on his wrist counting down was suggested more than once in the notes, which would eventually come down to the last few seconds.

This is a good point. That final scene really did nail tension. Not that huge set pieces can't be utilized. Mass Effect 1's ending (if we can talk video games) is epic, but was tense as hell.

I need to stop eating a whole edible before going into these movies. I did that with iron man 3 and I hated the movie. Then rewatched it on blu ray and thought it was actually pretty good. I think its just the fact I know the extremis story really well and didn't care for the changes.

Captain America I thought was pretty awesome through the whole thing but there was a lot of story to keep up with in this one. I never read alot of cap, so I wasn't too invested into changes of the story. My ooonly two gripes was there was a toooon of story packed into this movie,also with bucky and the whole hydra thing. The back and forth bait and switch was getting a little old at times. Its like this person isn't who you thought he was, oh wait, yes he is.
I just couldn't get into the falcon character. For one he just was kissin caps butt the whole time, and two the costume just seemed cheesy to me. I know I know, its a comic book movie and I love comics! But maybe him being human and flying around with a costume that makes no sense got to me.

I feel like on a rewatch ( no edible) the issues wont be as bad as I'm making them be. I can't really remember the last time I saw amazing fight scenes like that. I do muay thai and my buddy does mma. He was so hyped on alot of the judo throws going down and cap rear naked choking winter soldier. The GSP fight scene was also badass! It was perfect because I thought they showed perfectly Cap letting him get some shots in/playing around, but when it was time to just end it, he did.

RangerX

Banned

I wonder what will happen when he dies? Will Marvel find creative ways to reference him in the movies? LIke have a portrait of him in a museum exhibit.

Yeah I know. It was a joke. I'm dreading the day he dies. His stories meant so much to me when I was a kid.

Batman/Gordon/Harvey's stakes were a damsel in distress situation. They then added the philosophical stuff to give it additional meaning after the fact. Again, there's few people in Cap's world that they could damsel in such a manner. He cares about his team but Captain America is literally a representation of a national ideal. The ultimate threat to him is one that challenges that ideal. How do you challenge the freedom of a people or numerous peoples without threatening all of them? How do you threaten all of them without a grand vehicle that needs to be stopped or destroyed?

Beyond all that, all of the intrigue and thrill aspects of the movie were tailored to set up a threat on a massive scale. One that requires a group effort, against major odds, to solve. The entire film would've needed to be reworked for an intimate climax and it would've been even more lame if the solution was for one battle to be all that was necessary to stop this grandiose plan.

We saw it last night and it was awesome. Being from Cleveland, I'd say it was actually worth the two months of horrible traffic we had to deal with last summer while they were shooting it, haha.

I also got really excited when they showed that USB hub extender because I have the exact same one.

I like pretty much everything about it except the really cliché ending where he puts the chip in at the verrrry last second. That and bring rescued by the Winter Soldier were both really obvious and it was the only point that really took me out of the movie... Although I settled back in quickly for the ending.

Was that not Hydra in the after credits scene though? It seemed like they were but they also said something about how SHEILD and Hydra were two sides of the same coin and not a currency they trade in. I was a bit unsure of who they were.

Just saw it. A unique and different take on the winter soldier material but worked really well. Much much better than the first. It was funny how they were doing anything possible to not mention Sharon Carter's last name and relationship to Steve's old flame. Winter soldier was bad ass and I really liked how throughout the film they really drove home Steve's enhanced strength. That doesn't happen often, even in the comics it's easily forgotten.

Falcon was great and using the ultimate design translates well to film. Scarlett as black widow is still meh. Great character but I still dislike the casting.

So thoughts for cap 3. Clearly it's the winter soldier redemption movie but I really hope we can get Zemo in the next film.

Zen

Banned
Yeah I liked how they showed Steves physical status and pushed it just far enough for him to be peak human, but not so far as to make him appear (wrongly) super human. The guy was given a formula that made him the height of human genetic and cellular potential, but that is it, and it is a detail that actually enhances his character. We see people who are not similarly enhanced, but still obviously in the upper sphere of human potential do to decades of training and what have you (Batroc, The Winter Soldier) , are able to hang with him for a certain period of time.

Toth

Where was Hawkeye during this whole thing? Big plot hole considering he was so close to BW at the end of the Avengers.

Minion101

Banned
I kinda wonder what's the percentage of female viewers in these marvel movies. Seems like they have more fanservice for women than men. All three Chris (Evans, Hemsworth, Pratt) got shirtless scene in their movie. I know Loki has quite a few female fans. I assume same with RDJ.

I guess I never noticed this. Was shirtless Bruce Lee considered fanservice?

Stan Lee will never die. The reason immortality will be invented will be because of him.

Where was Hawkeye during this whole thing? Big plot hole considering he was so close to BW at the end of the Avengers.

If you look closely, BW is wearing an arrow pendant. It's not a complete sealing of the hole, but it's not like he's completely forgotten either.

Showaddy

Where were any of the Avengers to be honest? I can generally ignore that sort of thing with the MCU but when they turned up at Falcon's place saying they had no where else to go I just thought; just go and crash with Stark or Banner ffs.

dabig2

Where were any of the Avengers to be honest? I can generally ignore that sort of thing with the MCU but when they turned up at Falcon's place saying they had no where else to go I just thought; just go and crash with Stark or Banner ffs.

Wouldn't those guys be watched especially by SHIELD/Hydra? Wouldn't be very smart walking around NYC during the day to get to Stark when you're being manhunted. Can't exactly call him up either. Even the NSA in real life could track that shit.

inky

You mean the first people Hydra would have under surveillance. Great idea.

You forgot the part where they also said they went with Falcon exactly because he wasn't on SHIELD's radar

jond76

Banned

They were subjects of a manhunt, hopping a train/plane would most definitely get them caught.

I actually thought that the story had significant weight and deftly avoided the "where are the Avengers" problem. Being that this was a covert takeover of Shield. None of the Avengers would have known about any of it until the helicarriers were shooting each other out of the sky.

Unlike, say, Thor 2 where I expected the Hulk to catch the ship that almost squashed our heroes. Seems like a giant spaceship arriving in London would get the Avengers mobilized pretty quickly.

Blues1990

Typically, the Infinity Gems (Stones in the Marvel Cinematic Universe) consist of six primary stones, which includes the following:

• Soul (Green): The user gains the ability to manipulate & alter souls, either living or dead.
  • Time (Orange): The user gains the ability of total control over the past, present, & future. In addition, the user of the Time Infinity Stone can age & de-age any living being, as well as trapping foes in endless loops of time.
  • Space (Purple): The user gains the ability to exist in any location, move objects throughout reality, and can warp space. (In Captain America: The First Avenger, the Tesseract is considered to be the Space Stone.)
  • Mind (Blue): The user's mental & psionic power strengthens tenfold, and gains the ability to access the thoughts and dreams of others. When partnered with the Power Stone, the user can access all minds in existence simultaneously.
  • Reality (Yellow): This stone grants the user to fulfill wishes, to the extent that it's reality-altering powers can sprial out out of control. It is widely considered that the Reality Stone is the most dangerous, if wielded without the other stones.
  • Power (Red): The user get's access all power & energy, that can not only duplicate almost any physical superhuman ability, but can also increase the other stones effects. (First appeared in Thor: The Dark World as the Aether.)

Now, I'm just curious to see which of the stones will be introduced in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy film, as from what I've seen in the previews, the movie is going to be certifiably nuts.

Stoze

They were subjects of a manhunt, hopping a train/plane would most definitely get them caught.

I actually thought that the story had significant weight and deftly avoided the "where are the Avengers" problem. Being that this was a covert takeover of Shield. None of the Avengers would have known about any of it until the helicarriers were shooting each other out of the sky.

Unlike, say, Thor 2 where I expected the Hulk to catch the ship that almost squashed our heroes. Seems like a giant spaceship arriving in London would get the Avengers mobilized pretty quickly.

The same problem in Thor 2 basically happens with the bolded, Tony could probably see that shit going down from Stark/Avengers Tower. The Helicarrier part had significant screen time, more than enough for an Avenger to get down there.

That's never an issue with me though honestly, the movies are seperate stories and entities, I don't expect other superheros to show up, and it will probably stay that way exception of The Avengers. They'll probably throw in small cameos every once in a while like they did with Cap in Thor 2, but nothing to help with plot points.

Sorian

Banned
[*]Mind (Blue): The user's mental & psionic power strengthens tenfold, and gains the ability to access the thoughts and dreams of others. When partnered with the Power Stone, the user can access all minds in existence simultaneously.

Isn't this one Loki's staff?

The final act in Thor 2 that takes place in London happens over a pretty short span of time. Something like 30-45 minutes. Not enough time for any other Avenger to get there.

Stark Tower is in New York while Triskelion (the SHIELD base that launched that Heli-Carriers) is in Washington D.C. The nature of the movie means that none of The Avengers would've been notified of Fury's death and while they may have taken notice of the Heli-carriers launching through the news coverage, they wouldn't have known anything was wrong until the combat started. It's rough to say how long, exactly, that battle takes place but it's reasonable to think that unless Tony was sitting around doing nothing, he may not have been aware of anything going on at all until it was over or nearly over.

Regarding the Gems... isn't the current theory that the Mind Gem is what is in Loki's staff?

Sorian

Banned
The final act in Thor 2 that takes place in London happens over a pretty short span of time. Something like 30-45 minutes. Not enough time for any other Avenger to get there.

Stark Tower is in New York while Triskelion (the SHIELD base that launched that Heli-Carriers) is in Washington D.C. The nature of the movie means that none of The Avengers would've been notified of Fury's death and while they may have taken notice of the Heli-carriers launching through the news coverage, they wouldn't have known anything was wrong until the combat started. It's rough to say how long, exactly, that battle takes place but it's reasonable to think that unless Tony was sitting around doing nothing, he may not have been aware of anything going on at all until it was over or nearly over.

Regarding the Gems... isn't the current theory that the Mind Gem is what is in Loki's staff?

Plus, we don't know his status at the moment. He may not even have a suit ready.

Top Bottom