• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Sorian

Banned
Using a single note that slides upwards was a complete ripoff from The Dark Knight. That's what I got out of his "theme".

Except the music in the dark knight never helped me feel uncomfortable at the person that I was seeing on the screen. That was the case, however, in winter soldier.

I think by this point Marvel could make a household name out of whoever they wanted. But Miles not able to be Spider-Man is pointless.

Meet the newest avenger, Web-Guy!

Zen

Banned
Not enough people do (as if Sony/Fox would listen to an internet boycott anyway). The Spiderman and Xmen movies will continue to be cash cows for them. And once they stop, they will just reboot them and start over. Give up the dream. Wolverine and SPiderman are as likely to show up in the MCU as Superman and Batman are.

Yeah, there is no way that the studios will just give up the license unless they end up making them worthless. They know that the second they do, Marvel will level license them out ever again.

Piderman

piderman_4579.jpg

jett

D-Member
Except the music in the dark knight never helped me feel uncomfortable at the person that I was seeing on the screen. That was the case, however, in winter soldier.

I don't understand how can someone have that opinion, but okay.

Forgive me if this has been answered a billion times, but what's the chance of the HYDRA storyline featuring heavily in Avengers 2? Is it probably just going to get a mention here and there, while the story is picked up again in Cap 3?

Just saw it too - I think a rental would have been better. It has a bit of a deeper story than the usual Marvel movies but it wasn't as entertaining as the avengers, which in itself, wasn't all that great of a movie.

The fight scenes had so much potential too but shaky cam and quick cuts ruined most of them.

Sorian

Banned
Forgive me if this has been answered a billion times, but what's the chance of the HYDRA storyline featuring heavily in Avengers 2? Is it probably just going to get a mention here and there, while the story is picked up again in Cap 3?

That completely depends on how they want to explain Ultron. Personally, I think Hydra will be more a bit player in Avengers 2 and be in the shadows until the next cap movie but they may also have a big place since they are housing QS and SW right now.

anaron

Honestly, of all the errant rights, I think Namor and Fantastic Four are the ones Marvel should get back.

X-Men and Spidey work very well as solo universes, even if the execution isn't as great as we'd like, but Namor/Fantastic Four just really need a broader context. Also, in the case of FF, they've got the best villains.

Agreed.

Slayven

Universal and Lionsgate should make a quick book and just sell them back. Cause on their own they are worthless. I bet Marvel has the rights for the Original Human Torch.

duckroll

The interviews so far suggests that while it will have an influence on Avengers 2, it won't play a huge role. Stuff like the Winter Soldier, Fury, and the remnants of Hydra will likely be dealt with in Captain America 3 instead.

Dram

Is it weird that there hasn't been any build up to the creation of Ultron yet? I thought the Winter Solider would at least have a teaser about them talking about it.

After watching the flick again.

I have to say, Chris Evans is one handsome ass motherfucker. Goddamn. I can't say who's my bigger man crush, him or Chris Hemsworth

bananas

Banned
Hold on. Guardians is in the same universe as this?

Explain please.

GoTG takes place in the MCU. The Collector who was in the credits scene in Thor 2 plays a role in GotG.

GotG will further the Infinity Gauntlet/Thanos plotline that was started in Avengers 1 and Thor 2. This will (supposedly) lead up to Avengers 3.

All the Marvel Studios films (any Marvel movie that's not Spider-Man, X-Men, or Fantastic Four) take place in the same universe.

Darkgran

GoTG takes place in the MCU. The Collector who was in the credits scene in Thor 2 plays a role in GotG.

GotG will further the Infinity Gauntlet/Thanos plotline that was started in Avengers 1 and Thor 2. This will (supposedly) lead up to Avengers 3.

All the Marvel Studios films (any Marvel movie that's not Spider-Man, X-Men, or Fantastic Four) take place in the same universe.

Thanks. Guess I need to read up on this stuff.

bananas

Banned
Thanks. Guess I need to read up on this stuff.

Here's everything that's part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far:

* = not out yet

Films:
Phase 1:
  • Iron-Man
  • The Incredible Hulk (the 2008 Edward Norton one, not the 2003 Ang Lee film. That one isn't part of the MCU)
  • Iron Man 2
  • Thor
  • Captain America: The First Avenger
  • The Avengers

Phase 2:
  • Iron Man 3
  • Thor: The Dark World
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • Guardians of the Galaxy*
  • The Avengers: Age of Ultron*

Phase 3 (confirmed/official so far):
  • Ant-Man*
  • Captain America 3*
  • The Avengers 3*

Rumored movies:
  • Doctor Strange*
  • Thor 3*
  • Black Panther*

Marvel One-Shots (short ~15 min films):
  • The Consultant (on the Thor DVD)
  • A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer (on the Cap 1 DVD)
  • Item 47 (on the Avengers DVD)
  • Agent Carter (on the IM3 DVD)
  • All Hail the King (on the Thor 2 DVD)

TV Shows:
  • Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (on ABC)
  • Daredevil (Netflix)*
  • Jessica Jones (Netflix)*
  • Iron Fist (Netflix)*
  • Luke Cage (Netflix)*
  • The Defenders (Netflix)*

And there a few comics that tie-in, but it starts to get a little much from there. :p

Just saw it. Good shit, enjoyed it much more than the first one. It really felt like a solid movie on its own merits, even if you hadn't seen any of the other ones, and yet it still tied in nicely with them.

Loved the little easter eggs and shoutouts to other MCU stuff (I totally caught a Dr Strange mention somewhere in there... and Ezekiel 25:17 showing up on the headstone totally cracked me up).

I think the only thing I didn't really care for was bringing Hydra into it. It just felt gratuitous. Like, it's totally cool that there's this kind of rogue element within SHIELD that's doing its own thing and has its own agenda--but did we really need the cheesy secret society element? "Hail Hydra," SMH. Also, I think we can figure out that their goals are bad and evil without having a giant flashing "EVIL GUYS HERE" sign by making them Nazis. Eh.
It's weird you're complaining about Hydra being Nazi when CA was created during WW2. Of course he would fight Nazis. Should they change who Hydra are because it takes place during Modern day? Should he have a different adversary now? Should they deviate from the comics to avoid Nazis?

Dram

Don't they have some deal where the studios have to make movies on a regular basis to keep the characters from reverting, or does that not apply to these characters?

I think someone wrote that Universal sends Marvel a check every few years to keep the rights.
I don't see any need for Cap to always be fighting Nazis.
I don't think they're really Nazi's any more. There were a lot of minorities that were part of Hydra in the movie.

It's weird you're complaining about Hydra being Nazi when CA was created during WW2. Of course he would fight Nazis. Should they change who Hydra are because it takes place during Modern day? Should he have a different adversary now? Should they deviate from the comics to avoid Nazis?

Hydra aren't really Nazi's though. Red Skull was already planning on breaking away from the Nazi's entirely in Cap 1. They used the Nazi's the same way they used SHIELD in Cap 2. I can't recall if they're wearing Nazi uniforms in the post credits scene but I could understand why they would for easy visual identification that they're associated with Hydra.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Is it weird that there hasn't been any build up to the creation of Ultron yet? I thought the Winter Solider would at least have a teaser about them talking about it.

My guess: the algorithm that Zola created for Project Insight will evolve into Ultron.

Replicant

Some GIFs from tumblr:

tumblr_n3y99gfL5n1rrdfajo1_500.gif

"Then finish it… ’Cause I’m with you till the end of the line."

tumblr_n3yhd1erPe1qewsw4o1_500.gif

Awesome, awesome fight. It's nice to see Evans doing the stunt himself.

After watching the flick again.

I have to say, Chris Evans is one handsome ass motherfucker. Goddamn. I can't say who's my bigger man crush, him or Chris Hemsworth

As a straight man, I have to agreed. The man looks ridiculous as Captain America. Like inhumanly handsome.

Hold on, Avengers films haven't made more than Spiderman and X-Men films?

Avengers = 1 movie.
Spiderman = 4 movies.
X-Men= 6(?) movies.

I kinda wonder what's the percentage of female viewers in these marvel movies. Seems like they have more fanservice for women than men. All three Chris (Evans, Hemsworth, Pratt) got shirtless scene in their movie. I know Loki has quite a few female fans. I assume same with RDJ.

I kinda hope that Marvel finds a way to escape the noisy CGIfest final action sequence pattern they've been in. It was great in the Avengers, and its just kinda been diminishing returns ever since. Especially in a movie like Winter Soldier, that's like 2/3rds taut conspiracy thriller, then the wings come out and its just another Marvel blockbuster

Sorian

Banned
I kinda hope that Marvel finds a way to escape the noisy CGIfest final action sequence pattern they've been in. It was great in the Avengers, and its just kinda been diminishing returns ever since. Especially in a movie like Winter Soldier, that's like 2/3rds taut conspiracy thriller, then the wings come out and its just another Marvel blockbuster

My girlfriend said how this caught her off guard too but I don't understand why, you're watching a super hero movie. I don't know what was expected. Sure, captain america can have more grounded stories compared to the other avengers but they were introducing falcon and I think they made him about as realistic as they could. We could have had him pop in in his signature red spandex instead with some wings that looked glued together like Icarus' from greek mythology.

Now , I like what they did here. The Falcon had the lamest outfit and powers, at least we got that he is a pilot but instead of a plan of a jet pack is some wings.

Top Bottom