• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

He might have fallen off the wagon again and be drunk out of his mind! Who knows!

Well in Iron Man 3 he initiates Clean Slate, which destroys all of his suits. So the theory that he may not have a new one built does have a solid foundation.

That would be news to me, but it is widely speculated that the Orb (shown in the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer) is supposed to be one of the infinity stones.

Loki's staff having the Mind Gem is speculated due to the abilities it's shown to have in The Avengers. Namely mind control when it touches someone.

Well in Iron Man 3 he initiates Clean Slate, which destroys all of his suits. So the theory that he may not have a new one built does have a solid foundation.

Well, except for the fact that they mention Iron Man flybys in Cap 2. Which kinda hints that Tony Stark still has at least one suit.

Musolf815

Sorry if this has been answered earlier, but while Black Widow was talking about the other characters like Dr. Strange, she mentioned I think an English teacher? Was that a reference to an actual character or just a random thing?

Sorian

Banned
Well, except for the fact that they mention Iron Man flybys in Cap 2. Which kinda hints that Tony Stark still has at least one suit.

Or Stark has holed himself up after the events of IM3 and no one knows any better or Fury just says that Stark is still running missions or its just a joke between friends or just another hundred different scenarios.

Sorry if this has been answered earlier, but while Black Widow was talking about the other characters like Dr. Strange, she mentioned I think an English teacher? Was that a reference to an actual character or just a random thing?

Are you talking about when Sitwell talks about the valedictorian in Ohio? That's supposedly a reference to Amadeus Cho.

Skab

Isn't this one Loki's staff?

Loki's staff is just powered by the actress IIRC. It isn't a gem itself.

On the subject of the other characters showing up and helping, the only one I kind of question is Hawkeye. It was a shield heavy movie, so you would think he would have shown up at one point.

Doesn't really bother me though.

Edit: actress? hahahaha damn autocorrect. was supposed to be tesseract.

I suppose this isn't surprising, as I know an actress or two that power my staff.

1383866240165.jpg

Yeah those lines are just a joke. He says that Fury better get Stark to show up at his niece's birthday party and none of that flyby stuff. While you can assume that this means Iron Man has previously done flyby appearances, it doesn't actually mean he's done any since the events of Iron Man 3. It also shows a misunderstanding of the relationship between Tony and SHIELD in that it assumes that Fury could actually get him to do such a favor. From what we've seen, Tony isn't exactly fond of SHIELD. None of the non-SHIELD Avengers are actually. So that's not likely to happen at all.

Loki's staff is just powered by the actress IIRC. It isn't a gem itself.

But the staff was given to him by someone else and Loki doesn't appear to have mind control powers without it. Then there's the reveal in first post-credits scene of Cap 2 that suggest the staff itself is a power source.

Dai101

Banned
Loki had possession of two Infinity Gems at once and still couldn't win? Coulson was right about him. He should just get Born To Lose tattooed on his face.

To his defense he
usurped Odin's throne at the end of TDW
<<<(just in case)

AMUSIX

1. The appearance request was for an upcoming birthday party
2. It's a silly thing to bring up, because we don't know if Pierce was aware of Iron Man's retirement or not, or if he just assumed Fury could order Stark to build a new suit, or if...if...if....

yeah...

Blues1990

I'm actually curious to see what Steve is going to do, career-wise, given that S.H.I.E.L.D is in disarray & he can't spend all of his free-time tracking down The Winter Soldier. He certainly can't be an MMA fighter, given that he can mop the floor with the best, and he would be counted-out with being a "substance abuser," what with the Super Solider serum & such.

J10

Banned
I'm actually curious to see what Steve is going to do, career-wise, given that S.H.I.E.L.D is in disarray & he can't spend all of his free-time tracking down The Winter Soldier. He certainly can't be an MMA fighter, given that he can mop the floor with the best, and he would be counted-out with being a "substance abuser," what with the Super Solider serum & such.

I envision SHIELD staying dead and Tony bankrolling all the Avengers' endeavors going forward.

jackdoe

I have to admit that I was disappointed that Pierce didn't rip off his face to reveal the Red Skull. Also, it was weird as hell that they didn't introduce the connection between Sharon and Peggy in this movie. I expected that revelation to end the movie. Not the cliffhanger that we got.

J10

Banned
If the Eye of Agamotto turns out to be the reality gem (which would work out nicely) we saw that in Thor 1 in Odin's vault. Loki could use that or something, I dunno.

Then again, they said they can't keep two in one place, so that's probably not a factor.

Showaddy

Loki had possession of two Infinity Gems at once and still couldn't win? Coulson was right about him. He should just get Born To Lose tattooed on his face.

If it does turn out to be an Infinity gem then it makes Thanos look like a colossal moron for handing Loki one just to lose both of them. It would seem pretty nerfed as well, The Mind Gem goes way beyond poking people in the chest one at a time.

J10

Banned
If it does turn out to be an Infinity gem then it makes Thanos look like a colossal moron for handing Loki one just to lose both of them. It would seem pretty nerfed as well, The Mind Gem goes way beyond poking people in the chest one at a time.

I would think it says more about Loki than Thanos given that Loki still lost. Thanos might already have other gems in his possession and wouldn't consider Loki a threat regardless, based on his clear ineptitude.

Sorian

Banned
I would think it says more about Loki than Thanos given that Loki still lost. Thanos might already have other gems in his possession and wouldn't consider Loki a threat regardless, based on his clear ineptitude.

Thanos sends Loki off to fight the heroes in his stead knowing that Loki will lose so that the heroes can "level up" and be ready for the fight against Thanos. Villians man.

Skab

Thanos sends Loki off to fight the heroes in his stead knowing that Loki will lose so that the heroes can "level up" and be ready for the fight against Thanos. Villians man.

More like knowing Loki will "lose" and be taken back to Asgard. Now he has a man inside the place where one of the gems (and possibly the gauntlet itself, if the Thor cameo is actually considered anything other than a fun cameo) is stored.

Showaddy

Just can't see it personally, compared to the Cube & the Aether it's just seems to weak to be an Infinity gem. I can see Thanos harassing some of their energies into a weapon though.

He had the tesseract at one point and the (rumored) one in the staff he got from Thanos.

From speculation, the gem in his scepter was the Mind Gem (able to control people) and the Tesseract is the Space Gem (Able to connect 2 points in space by way of a simple portal)

Ah, I never knew that. But doesn't that mean that the gems are being nerfed for the movies? I remember the gems allowing way more power than that in the comic books.

Sorian

Banned
Ah, I never knew that. But doesn't that mean that the gems are being nerfed for the movies? I remember the gems allowing way more power than that in the comic books.

I'm guessing there is going to be some power creep as we get closer to avengers 3 and maybe a little hand waving saying that the gems are stronger depending on who uses them. Plus the power stone is like a power-up for all of the other stones so that too.

J10

Banned

The gems are also kinda like the Green Lantern's ring in that their potential is more limited by the users ability. Zola/Shield were using the cube to make weapons when they could have been using it to travel across the universe. Big thinkers can get more out of them.

Scarecrow

The MCU has a history of nerfed characters, though. Thor isn't as strong as his comic counterpart for example. I can see them toning down the power of each gem to make them more audience friendly. Maybe they'll reach their full potential when voltron'd together.

Slayven

The MCU has a history of nerfed characters, though. Thor isn't as strong as his comic counterpart for example. I can see them toning down the power of each gem to make them more audience friendly. Maybe they'll reach their full potential when voltron'd together.

that is how the gems work, the power gem amps the rest.

More like knowing Loki will "lose" and be taken back to Asgard. Now he has a man inside the place where one of the gems (and possibly the gauntlet itself, if the Thor cameo is actually considered anything other than a fun cameo) is stored.

I really hope that was all part of the plan and that the whole "Loki wants to take over earth" thing was just a ruse by master ruseman Thanos. Without the Bifrost, Loki's only way back to Asgard was to get the Tesseract and be taken back there to face charges. Then he could get the Infinity Guantlet out of the armory.

Link1110

I think this is one of the reasons why I enjoyed it. This was also the first time I can remember Redford being a bad guy, and I liked that he played it exactly as he should have; Believing so resolutely that what he was doing was for the greater good.

It was also an interesting link to Hydra's influence, which felt more interesting than the 1-dimensional portrayal of their goal in the first cap film.

Was fun to see all the shield gadgets too, especially Fury's SUV.

Hydras goal confused me in this movie. Iirc they were basically a front for the nazis in the last one but now they're just sorta trying to protect the world in their own way? Is there still a nazi connection?

Hydras goal confused me in this movie. Iirc they were basically a front for the nazis in the last one but now they're just sorta trying to protect the world in their own way? Is there still a nazi connection?

They were more of a splinter group of the Nazi's in the first one. They were off doing their own thing, and continued to do it between the films.

Shaanyboi

Banned

They just wanna rule the world. In First Avenger, it was by brute force, and that failed. In Winter Soldier, they figured if they coerced people got them to give up their freedoms willingly, they could achieve the same goal.

J10

Banned
The Nazi ideology wasn't really a big thing for Red Skull in the first movie as far as I could tell. Berlin was on his list of places to conquer/destroy. Agent Sitwell is played by an Hispanic actor and Gary Shandling is so painfully Jewish. They're pretty above the whole white supremacy thing.

Veelk

Banned
They just wanna rule the world. In First Avenger, it was by brute force, and that failed. In Winter Soldier, they figured if they coerced people got them to give up their freedoms willingly, they could achieve the same goal.

But...they already do, don't they? Shield has it's fingers in virtually every agency and place of interest it seems. They have politicians in their pockets and influence the world over.

I accepted their crazy "kill a contintent" battleships because I assumed it was a reaction to the Chautari aliens from Avengers, but....well, no one wanted to mess with their shit until they decided that killing off Nick Fury and Captain America and any one they think might look at them funny. If they had just built those ships and said they were for emergency reasons, well, they'd still rule the world from the shadows.

But...they already do, don't they? Shield has it's fingers in virtually every agency and place of interest it seems. They have politicians in their pockets and influence the world over.

I accepted their crazy "kill a contintent" battleships because I assumed it was a reaction to the Chautari aliens from Avengers, but....well, no one wanted to mess with their shit until they decided that killing off Nick Fury and Captain America and any one they think might look at them funny. If they had just built those ships and said they were for emergency reasons, well, they'd still rule the world from the shadows.

That was why. Build the ships under the guise of protection, use them to take out individuals whose idealogy and personality would be a threat to SHIELD. And then fake evidence saying they were terrorists or something.

AKA NSA gone to nutty levels.

I'm not totally on board with the sceptre being the mind gem.

The tesseract is far, FAR more capable than just being able to connect two points in space. Cap 1 and Thor 1 made it clear that it was an asgardian doomsday weapon of some sort.

Likewise the Aether of Thor 2 was described (and shown) to be capable of universal devastation.

The staff on the other hand was beneath the notice of Thor, Odin, and the rest of Asgard. They were happy to let SHIELD have it, and it was not mentioned when Odin spoke of the infinity stones in Thor 2.

So far the stones as shown do not line up very well or at all with the abilities of the infinity gems (the tesseract is closer to the Cosmic Cube, and the Aether doesn't even have a physical form!) But even if they did, that staff is nowhere in the same league as the other two.

Link1110

Didn't Nick Fury state that to be one of the reasons behind it in the first place? I haven't seen Thor 2 yet, but Iron Man 3's plot also revolved around fallout from the aliens in Avengers, so maybe what that sort of trauma does to a person is one of the main themes of phase 2?

Also, my girlfriend picked up on the Ironman line in this movie and asked where Ironman was during all this? Obviously that's just something you have to ignore in this sort of movie, but does anyone have a better answer than that? I could've told her he destroyed the suits at the end of Ironman 3, but the fact that those still exist according to Fury puts this before it in the timeline (or after he makes a new suit, but I kind of expect that to happen in Avengers 2.)

Top Bottom