• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Didn't Nick Fury state that to be one of the reasons behind it in the first place? I haven't seen Thor 2 yet, but Iron Man 3's plot also revolved around fallout from the aliens in Avengers, so maybe what that sort of trauma does to a person is one of the main themes of phase 2?

Also, my girlfriend picked up on the Ironman line in this movie and asked where Ironman was during all this? Obviously that's just something you have to ignore in this sort of movie, but does anyone have a better answer than that? I could've told her he destroyed the suits at the end of Ironman 3, but the fact that those still exist according to Fury puts this before it in the timeline (or after he makes a new suit, but I kind of expect that to happen in Avengers 2.)

Someone else mentioned that the events of Cap 2 happen within the span of about 72 hours. That's not a ton of time to call in the cavalry, especially when Fury was in critical condition for most of that, and Cap was on the run and marked as a fugitive.

But besides all that, monitoring Starks lines of communication and preventing any attempt by fury or Rogers to contact him is something SHIELD would be more than capable of doing.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Didn't Nick Fury state that to be one of the reasons behind it in the first place? I haven't seen Thor 2 yet, but Iron Man 3's plot also revolved around fallout from the aliens in Avengers, so maybe what that sort of trauma does to a person is one of the main themes of phase 2?

Also, my girlfriend picked up on the Ironman line in this movie and asked where Ironman was during all this? Obviously that's just something you have to ignore in this sort of movie, but does anyone have a better answer than that? I could've told her he destroyed the suits at the end of Ironman 3, but the fact that those still exist according to Fury puts this before it in the timeline (or after he makes a new suit, but I kind of expect that to happen in Avengers 2.)

How would they contact Tony? Cap and Widow can't exactly contact him if they're being tracked. The first time their presence is known, they get a missile fired at them that they barely survived. The second time they get found, Winter Soldier grabbed Sitwell and threw him in-front of a truck in less than a second. Tony doesn't know where they are, what's happening with them, etc.

How much would Tony even know about this whole thing? Would he know that Fury is dead? How much information would SHIELD let get out there? I mean there are probably people with phones capturing images of "Hey there's some dude on the highway tearing apart this car" or something but probably no official press or anything.

And at the end with the whole Helicarrier thing, I'd wonder if the media would know enough to be able to say "Captain America is taking down three SHIELD helicarriers" or just "Holy crap, there are three giant crazy things in the sky and they're shooting at something, but we actually don't know what the fuck is going on."

EDIT: I'd also add that Steve going to Sam makes sense since he's not really an active soldier, he's not a part of SHIELD, he doesn't really have a real boss apparently, and there's no reason really to track him. His brief encounters with Cap offer no indication to SHIELD that he's someone Steve would go to for help.

They could've addressed it I guess but 1. That's just boring score keeping, even if it could be written in an amusing way and 2. There's a lot of shit going down in a really short amount of time. You don't see Cap calling in everybody he has ever met to help, you see him on the run with people who happen to be close and that he is able to contact literally in person. Hence The Falcon.

Falcon is notable because he's not someone involved in SHIELD at all (he's just an ex soldier with ptsd) and Rogers sought HIM out first, so he was unlikely to be a plant, as the neighbor was.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Out of Cap 2, Thor 2, and IM3, i think that only IM3 is the one subject to "Where are the other Avengers?" IM3 also gets bonus points cause "Where is Shield?" Theres a terrorist forcing the US President to partake in an execution forcibly broadcast all over the world and Shield is a complete no-show?

Thor 2 took place mostly off Earth so there is nobody to call. The few moments that took place on Earth the heroes were fighting for their lives. Cap 2 actually had more than one Avenger in the story unlike the other movies. They were on the run and off the grid with a very small window of opportunity. The "going it alone" scenario in Winter Soldier seemed most plausible of the three.

Dai101

Banned
Out of Cap 2, Thor 2, and IM3, i think that only IM3 is the one subject to "Where are the other Avengers?" IM3 also gets bonus points cause "Where is Shield?" Theres a terrorist forcing the US President to partake in an execution forcibly broadcast all over the world and Shield is a complete no-show?

Thor 2 took place mostly off Earth so there is nobody to call. The few moments that took place on Earth the heroes were fighting for their lives. Cap 2 actually had more than one Avenger in the story unlike the other movies. They were on the run and off the grid with a very small window of opportunity. The "going it alone" scenario in Winter Soldier seemed most plausible of the three.

In IM3 Rodhey told Tony they (the government) didn't want any help because they don't want to look weak. In Thor 2 the climax of the movie happens in only 10 minutes or so in Earth. Even Darcy mentioned they can't contact nobody, even SHIELD.

In IM3 Rodhey told Tony they (the government) didn't want any help because they don't want to look weak. In Thor 2 the climax of the movie happens in only 10 minutes or so in Earth. Even Darcy mentioned they can't contact nobody, even SHIELD.

We need a Darcy movie. Kat Dennings is criminally under used

Shaanyboi

Banned

The US government was afraid of "looking weak" in the public eye after the New York thing (and probably every public supervillain attack since IM1). They needed to show they could publicly take care of the Mandarin themselves, without the help of superheroes or SHIELD which is still a super secret agency that most of the public probably doesn't know about. It's also possible the Vice President, with his ties to AIM, pushed for that decision to keep SHIELD out of it.

And the big climax in Thor 2 happens in the span of like 8 minutes. Atleast two jets tried taking out Malekith's ship, but got sucked into a portal.

jackdoe

Technically they explain this in Winter Soldier by making the President one of the targets of the Insight weapon. But it's kind of flaky.

No, we really don't. She's the worst part of both movies, especially the 2nd with her expanded role. She's annoying annoying as hell.

If there is any justice in this world, she and Natalie Portmans character will die in the next movie, which sadly wont happen. Honestly ruined the films.

No, we really don't. She's the worst part of both movies, especially the 2nd with her expanded role. She's annoying annoying as hell.

But she's so quirky and random lulz! For real, she's got to go. Her character serves no purpose but comedic relief. I'd be happy if they announced her and Portman weren't coming back. I like Portman as an actress, but Thor/Jane is like Supes/Lois in MoS where they keep showing them kiss and long for each other but you as a viewer have no clue what they even see in each other.

Replicant

Personally, I like that Captain America is a 90 Year Old Virgin who can drive.

Who needs love interest when you're too busy saving the world?

y2dvd

I saw it again for the 2nd time tonight and it could be that it is the most recent, but I think it's just slightly better than The Avengers at this point. Cap2 just hits all the right notes for me.

Replicant

But there was someone else he kissed since being thawed out. Who was it? My money is on Coulson.

Thor.

kuYSFQy.gif
dIi5wZm.gif
aayZMUZ.gif

Regiruler

Just saw it, falcon was cool as fuck.

EDIT: Hawkeye should have been in though. There was a lot of aerial action so cool arrow shots would have been easy.

NolbertoS

So is Arnim Zola dead?? An how could be put his consciousness into an archaic computer. Even to modern supercomputers isn't enough to surpass the human brain. Just thinking too scientifically. I'm sad to see Peggy Carter with Alzheimers :(. Was wondering who she married anf had kids and grandkids with. Kinda reminds me of that Justice League episode where they go back to World War II and help thr allies and Wonder woman helps a US spy and visita him in the future as an old man. Kinda sad :(

neoanarch

Just saw it, falcon was cool as fuck.

EDIT: Hawkeye should have been in though. There was a lot of aerial action so cool arrow shots would have been easy.

The writers wanted Hawkeye in but they couldn't squeeze him in and they didn't want to have him if it was just going to be a glorified cameo.

"We knew we wanted Falcon there, we knew we wanted [Black Widow]," McFeeley told me. "You’re introducing Winter Soldier. Fury’s got a bigger part in this one. It just started to seem like he was going to kind of get a crappy part."

"If we were going to use him, we really wanted to use him well," Markus added.

It was decided that having a good script was more important than shoe-horning Hawkeye into the plot – a totally reasonable, smart verdict – but still I wondered if they actually knew what was going on with the character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe while the plot of Captain America: The Winter Soldier was unfolding. Markus explained that they were at one point experimenting with including a line about what Hawkeye was doing, but by the end it wasn’t included in the final cut of the film.

So is Arnim Zola dead?? An how could be put his consciousness into an archaic computer. Even to modern supercomputers isn't enough to surpass the human brain. Just thinking too scientifically. I'm sad to see Peggy Carter with Alzheimers :(. Was wondering who she married anf had kids and grandkids with. Kinda reminds me of that Justice League episode where they go back to World War II and help thr allies and Wonder woman helps a US spy and visita him in the future as an old man. Kinda sad :(
Redford mentions that they've "lost" Zola but being a computer program, I wouldn't be surprised if he was able to back himself up somehow. And yeah, I wouldn't worry about the tech. We are talking about a universe that is way more scientifically advanced than ours. Just look at the tech available to Hydra during Cap 1.

I thought they way they choreographed Cap's fight scenes and his technique with the shield was much, much better than what we saw in the the first film or his bits in Avengers Assemble.

Overall a much better film than the first one.

My problem with it was the titular Winter Soldier. It says a lot about the first film that I had completely forgotten about Bucky from the first film and the reveal was an anticlimax for me. "Who is that? Why do I care?" Re watching the first film might help me in that regard but I'd rather not have to. It seems to me they failed to big him up as a legendary assassin by you know, not really indicating that he'd killed anyone important. Being a cool assassin he has his trademark soviet slugs, except you know, when he's firing a bazillion different guns throughout the movie. There just didn't seem to be a lot of substance to his character, nor the character he used to be.

Hydra were a far more interesting threat. At a base level, Captain America has to be a patriot that reflects his times so for me I liked that his enemy in this film was a massive secret society using false flags and coercion to force "peace and stability" on the world. In a way quite a politically conscious film, despite having a guy wearing the stars and stripes beating people up.

Ithil

i wish they would stop with the Stan Lee cameos in every Marvel movie. Every time half of the cinema feels compelled to point it out during the movie and then explain it to their group who didn't know.

Takes me out of the experience and it's overall annoying.

You say that but you'll be sad when he's dead and no longer able to make his quick cameos.

Where did Falcon get his suit?

Did he keep it in the attic of his home?

Why would the military let him keep what I assume to be top secret military equipment.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Where did Falcon get his suit?

Did he keep it in the attic of his home?

Why would the military let him keep what I assume to be top secret military equipment.

They talked about how there was one unit being kept at a military base, and concluded that it wouldn't be a problem getting it by force.

I dunno how you missed that scene.

Kimosabae

Banned
Not only did I not like Falcon as I sidekick in concept (in myriad ways) but I just didn't like his casting. I dunno, dude comes across as straight-up generic-hollywood-black-guy material for me, in terms of personality and charisma. Maybe I'll appreciate him during a second watch, but I'm just not feeling him at the moment.

Tom_Cody

If anyone was wondering what James Cameron thought of the film:

"I did think that this new Captain America was an interesting film for its genre, in that it tackled this idea of digital surveillance and the kind of dark side of our hyperconnected society."

(From his AMA)
I just read through that this morning. I was extremely shocked that he mentioned it. Usually he limits his comments on other films to friends and/or cross-promotion (3D, etc).

It's pretty cool that he gave it a shout out.

They talked about how there was one unit being kept at a military base, and concluded that it wouldn't be a problem getting it by force.

I dunno how you missed that scene.

Was it the scene where Sam shows that manilla folder to Steve?

It happened so quickly that I didn't assume that between that scene and the one with Sitwell that he went to a base to grab it.

I just read through that this morning. I was extremely shocked that he mentioned it. Usually he limits his comments on other films to friends and/or cross-promotion (3D, etc).

It's pretty cool that he gave it a shout out.

He's reminded of his earlier days of making smart action films and not gimmicky schlock

y2dvd

Not only did I not like Falcon as I sidekick in concept (in myriad ways) but I just didn't like his casting. I dunno, dude comes across as straight-up generic-hollywood-black-guy material for me, in terms of personality and charisma. Maybe I'll appreciate him during a second watch, but I'm just not feeling him at the moment.

I love Falcon. I think they did a great job conveying his understanding and relations to Cap. It's a testament that Marvel actually makes me want to see more of Falcon.

I forgot to mention on my second viewing. When the Winter Soldier's mask came off, there were some loud gasp coming from the crowd. Most of us probably thought the general public already knew TWS's identity but it's the exact opposite so far. I honestly didn't know either until it was spoiled for me in the nonspoiler thread before the movie's release.

Volcynika

I love Falcon. I think they did a great job conveying his understanding and relations to Cap. It's a testament that Marvel actually makes me want to see more of Falcon.

I forgot to mention on my second viewing. When the Winter Soldier's mask came off, there were some loud gasp coming from the crowd. Most of us probably thought the general public already knew TWS's identity but it's the exact opposite so far. I honestly didn't know either until it was spoiled for me in the nonspoiler thread before the movie's release.

When the mask came off, some kid in the audience yelled out "IT'S MICHEAL JACKSON"

:|

Zen

Banned
I hated how they had him doing the stereotypical black sidekick lines, as well as the random shouts of fun/enthusiasm during life or death situations because he has to fit into this stupid little roll to check a box for marketing. It is cliche, boring, and detracts from the seriousness and danger of the situation. I think the actor was good even, certainly better than what he needed to be for the role, but some of the things that they had him do was cringe worthy.

jmood88

I hated how they had him doing the stereotypical black sidekick lines, as well as the random shouts of fun/enthusiasm during life or death situations because he has to fit into this stupid little roll to check a box for marketing. It is cliche, boring, and detracts from the seriousness and danger of the situation. I think the actor was good even, certainly better than what he needed to be for the role, but some of the things that they had him do was cringe worthy.

What "stereotypical black sidekick lines" did he say?

Ironically, what annoyed me the most about Falcon was that he didn't wear a helmet, you'd think that he'd be the one that needed it the most, more than cap.

Top Bottom