• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

J10

Banned
I'm assuming Loki's staff is part of it? Just based on a quick color check on google.

Tesseract, Aether - those are the MCU versions of Infinity Gems. Remember the Thor 2 mid-credits scene? You're saying it's too silly to translate yet you didn't even know it was already happening?

Skab

The gem in Loki's staff is probably the mind gem IMO but the only two confirmed was the tesseract is the space gem and the aether is the power gem. Obviously they are taking some liberties since the aether isn't really a gem.

The theory we had going over in the MCU thread at one point was that the Gauntlet already has the gems in it. (You can seem them already set in it in the Thor shot.) And instead of simply sticking the gems in, the powers of the objects that have been in the films so far will be transferred to the gems already in the gauntlet.

Also I still dont think the staff is a separate gem.

Sorian

Banned
The theory we had going over in the MCU thread at one point was that the Gauntlet already has the gems in it. (You can seem them already set in it in the Thor shot.) And instead of simply sticking the gems in, the powers of the objects that have been in the films so far will be transferred to the gems already in the gauntlet.

Also I still dont think the staff is a separate gem.

Sounds like a good enough plan to me, keeps it simple for the audience while still keeping it similar to the source material.

The fact that they bothered to show the staff again tells me that its important to the gameplan and at this point the gameplan is to get the infinity gauntlet ready for avengers 3. It certainly worked like a nerfed version of the mind gem and Loki is a certified idiot so it makes sense that it would be weak in his hands.

.GqueB.

Banned
Tesseract, Aether - those are the MCU versions of Infinity Gems. Remember the Thor 2 mid-credits scene? You're saying it's too silly to translate yet you didn't even know it was already happening?

I didn't see Thor 2 yet dude SPOILERSSS WTF?!!?!?
Just kidding it's my fault I haven't seen that yet.

My "silly" statement stems from the fact that a "win" gauntlet seems a little too... I don't know... childish? I need to see it happen. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

anaron

It would be one thing if the actor sucked and was forgettable, but it is made worse by the fact that he is pretty good, and his underdevelopment just shines through harder. I almost think he should have been the one travelling with Steve instead of Black Widow, whom we know pretty much everything about and does not undergo any character development anyway.

Except she did? Her arc is entirely about learning to trust someone and figuring out how to fight for the right side in redeeming herself.
The moment she releases shields files is a huge thing for her

J10

Banned
They could get around the staff=mind gem issue by having Thanos make the staff work as a suppressor for the gem inside of it so Loki couldn't make full use of it. Otherwise Loki really does look extra incompetent and Thanos does look really foolish for losing two gems in pursuit of one.

Shouta

I am projecting? How so? Some of the recent critiques of the film and the Falcon character here contains accusations of overt stereotyping. Since you and a couple others (one of whose posts I quoted along with yours, so please don't feel that I am targeting you in particular) are the first to bring it up here, it's not a stretch to think that you may feel strongly about it enough to air grievances about this supposed inequity. If you don't want to analyze your feelings further, that's fine, because Zen seems happy to.

It's funny that you bring up injustice in setting up The Falcon's character when in one Falcon-centric arc in old Cap comic issues, he was originally a street hustler who was "saved" by Cap. That's neither here nor there, I suppose.

Anyway, Sam Wilson is one Cap's sidekicks in the film. He also happens to be black. His character comes from an era of comics where the portrayal of black people was often times seen as exploitative. Is it fair that that black characters be stuck with sidekick roles in these types of films? Probably not. Is it prevalent in superhero films? I dunno. It can't be helped now. On the topic of TWS though, I'm not sure if Sam's moments of levity and enthusiasm during the more intense actions scenes can be attributed to his race or if he's just that type of person. While he does work with traumatized veterans who suffer from PTSD, I don't actually think he (during the events of the film) actual suffered from it, so nothing about his behavior while in battle should be out of character.

If there was internal conflict within Sam, I didn't see it in the film. Sure, some sense of wistfulness over losing his pararescue partner, but it doesn't define who he is. What I'm saying ultimately is that I think you're interpreting aspects of the character or pathos that I really don't think is there.

I do agree though that he does deserve to be fleshed out more. His teaming up with Cap to hunt down Bucky near the end of the film lacks real motivation. Helping Cap out of a jam? Sure, but he has no reason to continue doing so after Hydra's been taken down.

They set up Sam right at the start. A former military guy that was disillusioned with the organization after his partner was shot down and he was grounded. He felt guilty about that but still wanted to do good, hence helping the PTSD folks since he recovered from it. Cap basically reignites his sense of justice and heroic side when he gets asked for help and to fight to save other people.

It's not really a deep storyline for him but it's basically a what-if Steve Rogers was a regular solider type of thing. He's meant to be Cap's foil, after all. It's kind of how like the Widow storyline was finished up in this but also was kind of a way to reflect on Cap himself.

Anyway, I hadn't realized it until my cousin pointed out but the first main character to 'kick the bucket" in the film? A black guy. ;p

Coconut

Banned
Why was that guy allowed to fill the candy machine in a hospital where a high ranking official was being treated after an assination attempt. Am I the only person in the world bothered by this?

- J - D -

They set up Sam right at the start. A former military guy that was disillusioned with the organization after his partner was shot down and he was grounded. He felt guilty about that but still wanted to do good, hence helping the PTSD folks since he recovered from it. Cap basically reignites his sense of justice and heroic side when he gets asked for help and to fight to save other people.

It's not really a deep storyline for him but it's basically a what-if Steve Rogers was a regular solider type of thing. He's meant to be Cap's foil, after all. It's kind of how like the Widow storyline was finished up in this but also was kind of a way to reflect on Cap himself.

Anyway, I hadn't realized it until my cousin pointed out but the first main character to 'kick the bucket" in the film? A black guy. ;p

Right! But there's no deep-seated internal conflict there. Sam was already a standup guy who just happened to align with Cap's principles and sense of duty. He's neither a "fish out of water" or was the "emotional core" of the film. So his enthusiasm to fight and during fights doesn't seem out of line with his portrayal.

About Nick being the first main to die in the film...he was also the character who killed the big bad.

J10

Banned
Why was that guy allowed to fill the candy machine in a hospital where a high ranking official was being treated after an assination attempt. Am I the only person in the world bothered by this?

You just ruined the whole movie. Thanks.

Coconut

Banned
He was a SHIELD candy refiller. =D

My buddy and I were joking that he due to the nature of his job has security clearance higher then Nick Fury to make sure everyone could get bubble yum.

Or he's a hero named vending machine and can sense when aome one has had their change taken by vending machines.

DoubleTap

He looks insane as the Captain in this movie. I was expecting my date to just jump Into the screen.

I wasn't a fan when they chose Evans. I was expecting someone bigger physically like a Josh Holloway type guy.

Kudos to whoever OK'd the casting. I assume it's the magician, Kevin Feige?

J10

Banned
I wonder if one of the Council members shown here were standing in for Powers Boothe from Avengers. It would have been nice to see him return along with Jenny Agutter.

And I assume they kept her alive for a reason.

bvgXPoe.jpg

It's not much of a stretch considering this is exactly what Janet does in Uncanny Avengers in order to fund the team. Avengers-themed clothing line for young people = big bucks apparently.

They could get around the staff=mind gem issue by having Thanos make the staff work as a suppressor for the gem inside of it so Loki couldn't make full use of it. Otherwise Loki really does look extra incompetent and Thanos does look really foolish for losing two gems in pursuit of one.

Unless Thanos intended for Loki to lose and just didn't tell him about the full powers of the mind gem. I mean, Thanos didn't exactly look upset in the post-credits sequence of Avengers. In fact, he looked downright pleased with the outcome.

He might have wanted the mind gem in the hands of a human to stir up shit and cause disorder before he heads to Earth. Or, he was the one who teleported Red Skull out at the end of Cap 1 and is thus in control of Hydra, so he never actually "lost" the staff in the first place, just learned a lot about the Earth defenses during the Chi'tauri invasion, Loki being an acceptable loss.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
How so? Are you talking about current stories in comics or something that we've been introduced to in the movies.

The mind gem and ...i guess the aether is the space gem are already seamlessly in the MCU and being used. I guess the tesseract is the power gem, however in the comics that is the cosmic cube that was in Cap 1 and Avengers as well. They dont seem to distract from the story to the common movie goer.

J10

Banned
The mind gem and ...i guess the aether is the space gem are already seamlessly in the MCU and being used. I guess the tesseract is the power gem, however in the comics that is the cosmic cube that was in Cap 1 and Avengers as well. They dont seem to distract from the story to the common movie goer.

You got 'em mixed up.

Aether = Power
Tesseract = Space

Unless Thanos intended for Loki to lose and just didn't tell him about the full powers of the mind gem. I mean, Thanos didn't exactly look upset in the post-credits sequence of Avengers. In fact, he looked downright pleased with the outcome.

He might have wanted the mind gem in the hands of a human to stir up shit and cause disorder before he heads to Earth. Or, he was the one who teleported Red Skull out at the end of Cap 1 and is thus in control of Hydra, so he never actually "lost" the staff in the first place, just learned a lot about the Earth defenses during the Chi'tauri invasion, Loki being an acceptable loss.

I would like it if he was smiling because he's literally going to try to court Death. I hope they have the guts to go that far.

Dai101

Banned

Nope.

Tesseract = Space
Aether = Power

That's canon.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

My "silly" statement stems from the fact that a "win" gauntlet seems a little too... I don't know... childish? I need to see it happen. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

J10 was just using Thor 2 as an example. They were in Cap 1, Avengers had 2, Thor 1 had the gauntlet, and Thor 2 had 2 as well. Fully and seamlessly integrated. The story of how the gems are assembled is long and a series of challenges overcome by Thanos that i do not expect to be in the movies too much back story he would need his own movies.

How does Rogers know how a vending machine works? How does Black Widow get enough change to buy all the bubble gum? Did she actually chew all that gum without tiring out her jaw?

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
How does Rogers know how a vending machine works? How does Black Widow get enough change to buy all the bubble gum? Did she actually chew all that gum without tiring out her jaw?

yeah its like shes a spy.....and was shadowing ...rogers....after he aquired what Fury was looking for...crazy

Hey I finally saw this on Saturday night night.

Best Marvel movie so far. It was kinda James Bondish.

Anyways, when I left the sold out theater, everyone seems happy, and I felt like, and I was very satisfied.

This and IM 1 are the best stuff Marvel has done in all these years.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Its really not a spoiler, btw. There is a powerful artifact in Thor 2 that it is revealed is one of the infinity stones. Knowing that doesn't really ruin any of the plot beats.

Andrin

This is only semi-related to this thread, but as conversations about who owns the rights to what has popped up a few times I thought I'd mention it here.

Did anyone else catch the name drop of the Kree in the Sif episode of AoS? I thought the main reason Marvel went with the Chi'tauri in Avengers was because the rights to use the Kree was tied to the Fantastic Four franchise. Was that all wrong and should we start expecting body doubles soon?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
This is only semi-related to this thread, but as conversations about who owns the rights to what has popped up a few times I thought I'd mention it here.

Did anyone else catch the name drop of the Kree in the Sif episode of AoS? I thought the main reason Marvel went with the Chi'tauri in Avengers was because the rights to use the Kree was tied to the Fantastic Four franchise. Was that all wrong and should we start expecting body doubles soon?

I think you mean the Skrulls? If that's the case, then they are tied up with the F4. The Kree are a different species.

J10

Banned
He means Skrulls. And no, not the entire race is tied up at Fox, just a specific Skrull character. They didn't use Skrulls in Avengers because including shape shifting aliens so soon would create all kinds of storytelling problems. The Kree will appear in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Miggytronz

Skrulls

Coconut

Banned

Vending machines existed in the 40s and do you really think a master spy paid for all that gum?

Even if he did not yet to know how to use vending machine before, he has been living in the modern world for how long? 1 year? 2 years?

Also, like someone has said, a spy who has all kind of gadgets doesn't need to pay for gum. And chances are she had just only chewed 1 or 2 gums, not all of them.

Hopefully you are not playing dumb.

J10

Banned
Also, the tv rights are different than the movie rights so Agents of Shield can reference things that the movies can't.

This means nothing if the TV show is part of the MCU, which it is. You'll never see Spider-Man or the X-Men on an MCU TV show, no matter how technically legal it might be.

jmood88

This means nothing if the TV show is part of the MCU, which it is. You'll never see Spider-Man or the X-Men on an MCU TV show, no matter how technically legal it might be.

Sure but it doesn't stop them from referencing things that the movies can't.

Slayven

Also, the tv rights are different than the movie rights so Agents of Shield can reference things that the movies can't.

Sure but it doesn't stop them from referencing things that the movies can't.

Marvel tried that before and Fox sued and won.

Mutant_X.png

Top Bottom