• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Alcoremortis, Dai101,
Thanks for reply !

:< awww no hulky stand alone movie :< but he's one of the big guns in The Avengers! They just need to figure out how to fly him solo !

I have a question, the AI in the bunker, did he die in the explosion? Because seems like he was a significant investment on Hydra's part (years and years and hardware and stuff). Did they not care? OR did HE not care that he was going to be blown away to bits? Or was it just one of his remote locations' manifestation?

Also, will Ultron have the same Avengers cast? Like, is Renner's Hawkeye returning? I've noticed his absence...

kirblar

He's described as a sacrifice by Pierce, so he (or at least the original copy of him) is gone.

The main 6 are all back for Avengers 2 it seems.

Gorillaz

I think we can safely assume that if the Nazi scientist dude was uploaded into a bunch of ancient computers in a bunker, they had a backup copy of him somewhere.

That's what I felt as well. That's mainly why I feel the whole Zola A.I. targeting system will be reused for something else down the line

Slayven

Thing, Hulk, Beast/Colossus
Paibok the Power Skrull has colossus powers. Never had to be that swoll.
548292-pp5.jpg

Slayven

Comic rule #342 if an evil genius has uploaded their mind into a computer/clone/robot/android/solid energy body and said body is destroyed. They have backups. +3 if they are Nazis or have Nazi ties.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's not like they haven't killed off several of their own villains already.

Which villains haven't they killed, actually?

Justin Hammer
Abomination
General Ross
The Leader (...uhh....I guess?)
Red Skull
Winter Soldier
Loki

and I guess Mandarin is still out there in some form

... is that everyone?

It's not like they haven't killed off several of their own villains already.

Yeah but they were useless fucks. Stane and Whiplash have nothing on Zola. Hell I doubt they actually killed off Killian.

Basically anyone important that is good for future stories they haven't used is MIA or in captivity rather than dead.

Zola is simply too important and he never got to show off his final form. I want to see Bucky beat the shit out of him.

I think we can safely assume that if the Nazi scientist dude was uploaded into a bunch of ancient computers in a bunker, they Zola had a backup copy of him somewhere.
Fixed.

Pierce says "They've already cost us Zola" when talking to WS, so I think he believes he's lost. But I would be surprised if Zola didn't have a back up of his own.

as far as mainstream audience is concerned, Zola and Red Skrull is dead. but Marvel write their death in a way that they could easily brought them back.

Fixed.

Pierce says "They've already cost us Zola" when talking to WS, so I think he believes he's lost. But I would be surprised if Zola didn't have a back up of his own.

Exactly. Why the fuck would Zola intentionally let HYDRA bomb him if he didn't have a back-up somewhere. I find it hard to believe that in that many years of sitting down there in that bunker, he didn't have some sort of follow-up plan to get out of there and further his goals.

Sanjuro

Don't feel like giving a full review.

This movie was a ton of fun, and one of the best Marvel Studios films.

That being said, it follows the trend of it being unremarkable and largely forgettable. For better or worse, they found how to present their comic book format on the big screen. There just isn't much to take away from them unfortunately.

Thanks for all the replies on the casting : > I havent subscribed to that Ultron thread due to fear of spoilers... .__.;;;

Uh, and all this discussion on Zola's demise / non-demise is very interesting.... I wonder where Marvel will side down on, but yeah, he feels like quite a quirky villain, so my gut feeling is that we are likely to see him around again, somewhere

Um, the guy that was fighting with Falcon, now, HE did survive right? I saw a scene of him? being lifted onto a medical gurney towards the end? Will he be a big villain later?

(sorry if im asking a lot of noob questions. i am sort of uninitiated with the actual comic lore.)

Um, the guy that was fighting with Falcon, now, HE did survive right? I saw a scene of him? being lifted onto a medical gurney towards the end? Will he be a big villain later?

(sorry if im asking a lot of noob questions. i am sort of uninitiated with the actual comic lore.)

He did survive. More than likely, he'll be in the next standalone Cap movie. His character is Crossbones, a frequent Cap villain and Red Skull henchman.

J10

Banned
That they kept him alive and his traditional role as Red Skull's muscle in the comics makes me think the Red Skull also comes back eventually.

Thanks for all the replies on the casting : > I havent subscribed to that Ultron thread due to fear of spoilers... .__.;;;

Uh, and all this discussion on Zola's demise / non-demise is very interesting.... I wonder where Marvel will side down on, but yeah, he feels like quite a quirky villain, so my gut feeling is that we are likely to see him around again, somewhere

He did survive, yes!

aww you guys are great :> thank you for replies < 3

he was an interesting bad guy, kind of menacing and very upper tier thug and all kinds of unpleasant in the non-glammed up way.

like, i think the winter soldier has drama and glamour in his design. this crossbones guy, ... idk. he could be just a bloke you'd pass at the streets and that makes him more scary, in a way?

looking forward to his return in future Cap franchise : >

agrajag

Banned
One thing I don't understand is how was S.H.I.E.L.D./Nick Fury's MO significantly different from Hydra's? Sure they weren't going to kill every single person that's a potential thread with the heli-carriers, but they were planning to use them to eliminate some threats pre-emptively, Nick Fury said that much. I guess I'm on Steve Roger's side.

Also, why was GSP so powerful in this movie? He was a regular human, but he gave Captain America a hell of a fight for a while there.

I think a solo Hulk could work with a good cast. Throw in Amadeus Chow in and make it a fucked up buddy cop thing.

I would also be okay with Doc Samson, Rick Jones, or a decent Betty.

I also once thought it would be hilarious to have Coulson/Banner movie. Mainly because of all the Avengers, I think Banner was the only one who a) didn't know who Coulson was and b) might not know/remember he died.

Which would be great if they ever thought to bring Coulson back into a MCU movie. Everyone would be shocked and Banner'd be all "What's the big deal? I've been working with this guy for the last three months."

Shaanyboi

Banned
One thing I don't understand is how was S.H.I.E.L.D./Nick Fury's MO significantly different from Hydra's? Sure they weren't going to kill every single person that's a potential thread with the heli-carriers, but they were planning to use them to eliminate some threats pre-emptively, Nick Fury said that much. I guess I'm on Steve Roger's side.
You might even say that that's kinda the movie's point...

Pierce even says "Your enemies are my enemies" or something along those lines.

J10

Banned

Also, why was GSP so powerful in this movie? He was a regular human, but he gave Captain America a hell of a fight for a while there.

SHIELD was not trying to scare the world into submission, that's the difference. Nick believed they were merely being proactive, just as he did in The Avengers, building WMDs with the cube. Nick/SHIELD were wrong, but they weren't evil. The exact point of the movie is that there is a very thin line between the two.

I think a solo Hulk could work with a good cast. Throw in Amadeus Chow in and make it a fucked up buddy cop thing.

I'd like Indestructible Hulk with Cho, yeah. Make it so Fury and Hill enlist him for research and destruction of HYDRA bases.

I really think Hulk is the series where they just need to embrace the action and science and just focus on that. Forget the love interests and just make Banner's arc is as satisfying as it is to see Hulk smash shit. I like that "Hulk Smash, Banner Builds" aspect of it and think it'd work well to balance both characters in a movie.

Cloudy

Banned
Like some have said, I don't get the over-the-top praise for this movie. It was decent but that's it.

Also, someone at Marvel is wising up and realizing that the Cap's full mask looks super-dumb IRL. He doesn't even have a secret identity so what's the point?

Blader

Yeah but they were useless fucks. Stane and Whiplash have nothing on Zola. Hell I doubt they actually killed off Killian.

Basically anyone important that is good for future stories they haven't used is MIA or in captivity rather than dead.

Zola is simply too important and he never got to show off his final form. I want to see Bucky beat the shit out of him.

Zola really isn't that important -- not in the movies anyway. And if they didn't want him dead, they wouldn't have written him as being killed.

Zola really isn't that important -- not in the movies anyway. And if they didn't want him dead, they wouldn't have written him as being killed.

Uh

It's implied that Zolas version of HYDRA is the one that came to power, assassinating inconvenient threats like Howard Stark and making SHIELD a puppet organization.

Of all the HYDRA members recruited since ww2, only Zola was turned into an immortal AI to continue to run things behind the scenes.

It was Zolas tech and experiments that created winter soldier, killing what, 70 people?

On top of that, Zola was the one that invented "the algorithm" that was capable of determining future probability with pinpoint accuracy- and that algorithm still exists, uploaded to an orbital satellite. All Cap's team did was mess with it's targeting computers. The backbone is still there, and there is 1000% chance this algorithm will evolve into Ultron.

All things considered, Zola is a pretty important villain, the only one with anywhere near his impact is Loki and that's debatable.

As for his death, note that Zola eliminated himself without hesitation (after preserving his mind as an AI for decades), definitely had a network connection, and comic Zola is NOTORIOUS for transferring his mind between bodies when destroyed. There's no way he's dead.

Redford's character may have been "cost" Zola, but likely only the original, which permanently existed as Miles of tape and mainframe, easily accessed when convenient. A digital copy could be literally anywhere.

Redford's character may have been "cost" Zola, but likely only the original, which permanently existed as Miles of tape and mainframe, easily accessed when convenient. A digital copy could be literally anywhere.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was already working with Strucker.

I'm reading Uncanny Avengers and Wanda has done some cool shit so far.

Seth C

He isn't a super human but he is a peak physical human in all areas:

"Batroc the Leaper has no superhuman abilities, but is in peak physical condition in every respect. He is an Olympic-level weightlifter and has extraordinary agility and reflexes. His leg muscles are particularly well developed enabling him to leap great distances equal to an Olympic athlete. He is an expert hand-to-hand combatant and specializes in savate (French-style kickboxing). He is also a skilled military tactician, having formerly been in the French Foreign Legion."

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

...didn't he get backflip kicked in the head ...?

All things considered, Zola is a pretty important villain, the only one with anywhere near his impact is Loki and that's debatable.

Im not sure about this. I think Loki (and in particular, Hiddleston's Loki) has established a pretty impressive presence in the fanbase's minds.

Zola seems a very interesting villain, though, and certainly one not to be written off, but he's kinda goofy compared to a few other bad guys we have seen from the Marvel universe...

.... or did you mean impact as in how much damage he has done in the movies/ stories? In that case, yeah, I agree! : >

Im quite excited about Scarlet Witch : >

Edit: Dai101, hahah. that's... adorkable... .__.;;;

J10

Banned
Ohhhh, so the capoeira guy is a villain from the comics? That explains why they spent a little extra time on him. Is he a particularly notable Cap villain?

Batroc is D-Tier. Pretty much everybody in these movies is somebody from the books though. The few I can think of right now that aren't are Agent Coulson, Senator Stern, Erik Selvig. I think that's it.

.GqueB.

Banned
Batroc is D-Tier. Pretty much everybody in these movies is somebody from the books though. The few I can think of right now that aren't are Agent Coulson, Senator Stern, Erik Selvig. I think that's it.
Who's the kid from iron man 3?

Top Bottom