• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

jmood88

Yes it does. It's a waste of time and effort.

How? The show isn't so beholden to the movies that they can't at least talk about other characters that the movies can't touch.

Marvel tried that before and Fox sued and won.

Mutant_X.png

Goodness, I'm not talking about them introducing characters or making spin-offs, I'm talking about them referencing characters that the movies can't.

J10

Banned
OK, lets follow this through.

Agent Coulson says, "There's a dude in Queens the local papers refer to as Spider-Man."

What do you think happens after that? What has been accomplished?

Sorian

Banned

Agent Coulson says, "There's a dude in Queens the local papers refer to as Spider-Man."

"Didn't he get killed a couple weeks ago by Paul Giamatti?"

jmood88

1. They would never name-drop a character that huge
2. If they did name a character they don't hold the movie rights to, it could simply be a silly easter egg for comic fans.

I'm not sure why you think that everything brought up in an episode has to be significant to the plot or lead to characters appearing in the show.

dabig2

can marvel use the Shi'ar? I guess the Spartax will have to suffice.

This is the Q I have as well. Also Gladiator. I'm assuming they're completely tied up with Fox, but I haven't heard much. Not that Marvel needs them anyways with the Skrull, Kree, etc., but more cosmic is never bad. I'm still miffed that Galactus, Annihilus, Silver Surfer are Fox which eliminates a Defenders movie and Annihilation saga.

Lirlond

They don't have Skrull I'm sure, they definitely don't have the super skrull. But I'm sure the regular skrull are F4 properties.

dabig2

They don't have Skrull I'm sure, they definitely don't have the super skrull. But I'm sure the regular skrull are F4 properties.

http://io9.com/why-we-may-never-meet-the-skrulls-in-the-marvel-films-1527485765
James Gunn explained that, along with certain characters, Marvel doesn't exactly own the movie rights to certain aliens either:

Marvel only partially owns Skrulls, and also for the record, we don't own the Badoon either. So people were asking why we have the Sakaarans in the film, we don't own the Badoon.

It's probably Fox that owns the Badoon — who are a major threat in the Guardians comics — given that Fox has the Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer. And it sounds, reading between the lines, as though the Skrulls are in a gray area (which could be why we saw the Chitauri in Avengers.) Gunn also described who played Rocket Raccoon on the set, since they hadn't cast Bradley Cooper until after they'd finished filming:

So they own partial rights to the Skrulls, but they can't use the super skrull obviously. But green, shape-shifting aliens with a religious fervor should be OK for Marvel to use in their MCU.

duckroll

The aliens in Avengers were clearly supposed to be Skrulls. It was in the games, the storyboards, the pre-production stuff, etc. The fact that it was changed to Chitauri during production indicates that they probably didn't want to deal with the legal legwork involved in figuring out exactly how Skrulls can be used with regards to current contracts. That tells me that we'll probably never see Skrulls in the MCU, period.

The aliens in Avengers were clearly supposed to be Skrulls. It was in the games, the storyboards, the pre-production stuff, etc. The fact that it was changed to Chitauri during production indicates that they probably didn't want to deal with the legal legwork involved in figuring out exactly how Skrulls can be used with regards to current contracts. That tells me that we'll probably never see Skrulls in the MCU, period.

I thought that's because they don't want to deal with Skrull shapeshifting stuff.

BLACKLAC

Any links to that?

Saw this movie, and I REALLY don't get the insanely high ratings. I'd give it a 7.5 at most, and it's not like my standards are super high. It was long-winded and so many scenes had my eyes rolling out of my head.

duckroll

Any links to that?

Looks like the stuff I remember are all from the cancelled game instead.

http://comicsalliance.com/canceled-avengers-game-concept-art-jeremy-love-skrulls/
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=85252

But it definitely does seem like before they actually went into production for the film, the alien army at some point was going to be the skrulls, especially considering the game wasn't the only movie tie-in thing to have skrulls in it: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/02/10/mystery-of-avengers-aliens-gets-deeper/

Pretty weird. I wonder if we'll ever get a full story of what happened from Feige.

neoanarch

The explanation that was given by Whedon is that they didn't want to blow the Skrulls on what amounted to a cannon fodder enemy.The storyline from the Ultimates that inspired the story in Avengers had the Chitauri anyway. Which to me sounds like they did have the Skrulls in mind for the final battle but it was changed.

Slayven

The explanation that was given by Whedon is that they didn't want to blow the Skrulls on what amounted to a cannon fodder enemy.The storyline from the Ultimates that inspired the story in Avengers had the Chitauri anyway. Which to me sounds like they did have the Skrulls in mind for the final battle but it was changed.

Yeah blowing out the ship wouldn't have taken out skrulls.

kirblar

Yeah, if you're going to do Skrulls as a big bad, you do Secret Invasion or you just don't do them.

Won't be able to do it for a while though- the HYDRA thing is way too similar. Someday, though, it'd be a great stinger.

Andrin

Thanks everyone who responded. I must've gotten the races mixed up, which is quite embarassing..

It will be interesting to see if they ever use them though.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
But that'd only happen if the F4 reboot gets made

Please don't get made

Can you imagine if Marvel would get the rights to F4 back and we actually got a Marvel quality F4 movie? And they and Doctor Doom (a true version of DD) became a part of the cinematic Marvel Universe? Why, we could eventually see a movie version of the Secret Wars play out and everything.

o_O

That would be so awesome.

dankir

http://comicsalliance.com/canceled-avengers-game-concept-art-jeremy-love-skrulls/

But it definitely does seem like before they actually went into production for the film, the alien army at some point was going to be the skrulls, especially considering the game wasn't the only movie tie-in thing to have skrulls in it: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/02/10/mystery-of-avengers-aliens-gets-deeper/

Pretty weird. I wonder if we'll ever get a full story of what happened from Feige.

SuperSkrull

jeremyloveavengersconcepts14.jpeg

Super Avengers Skrull?
jeremyloveavengersconcepts12.jpeg

Super X-Men Skrull?
jeremyloveavengersconcepts13.jpeg

Very cool

MutFox

Banned
Can you imagine if Marvel would get the rights to F4 back and we actually got a Marvel quality F4 movie? And they and Doctor Doom (a true version of DD) became a part of the cinematic Marvel Universe? Why, we could eventually see a movie version of the Secret Wars play out and everything.

o_O

That would be so awesome.

I think I'll be on my death bed clinging to hope that Fox loses the rights to F4...

While lying there, the 14th reboot of F4 will be on the horizon, and they're all now pre-teens.
Except Thing, he's now been replaces by a dog, and Doom is some pre-teen girl, with a bad accent.

I believe the company line on this one. They probably did consider them at some point, but it doesn't make sense to use the Skrulls if you're not going to take advantage of the shape shifting stuff. To just throw them out there as this not-expanded on generic alien army would be pretty wasteful. It makes more sense to use them as an actual plot point. I could easily see them doing Avengers: Secret Invasion at some point.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
I'm imagining that there is some early draft of the movie somewhere where instead of being mind-controlles by Loki, Hawkeye is replaced with a Skrull duplicate.

I believe the company line on this one. They probably did consider them at some point, but it doesn't make sense to use the Skrulls if you're not going to take advantage of the shape shifting stuff. To just throw them out there as this not-expanded on generic alien army would be pretty wasteful. It makes more sense to use them as an actual plot point. I could easily see them doing Avengers: Secret Invasion at some point.

Yep, Whedon said they already had too much going on and throwing in shape-shifting aliens just complicated things unnecessarily. Skrulls are best saved for when they introduce the Kree properly and can provide some background on the Kree-Skrull War or even get the Avengers involved.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Quicksilver was already in the first Wolverine movie.

why you even acknowledge the existence of that movie is beyond reason, how old was he in that movie? And wasnt havoks older brother cyclops and white queen in that movie that was set in modern day, they were teenagers but im sure it was after first class.

why you even acknowledge the existence of that movie is beyond reason, how old was he in that movie? And wasnt havoks older brother cyclops and white queen in that movie that was set in modern day, they were teenagers but im sure it was after first class.

I couldn't believe how Wolverine's girlfriend faked her death. Because you know, enhanced smell and hearing means squat.

Sacrimoni

Banned
Superb film

Turned hydra into real, believable antagonists and falcon was great

Ws was a little underdeveloped but you can't have everything

kirblar

Watched it a second time this weekend, taking a friends' kids, and yeah, this is now my #1 Marvel movie. Perfect pacing, incredibly well done action sequences, and nothing that takes you out of the movie on rewatch (like Cap's costume in Avengers 1.) It may be the biggest love letter to MGS ever, but that takes nothing away from what they accomplished here.

I don't even think Fox acknowledges that movie any more. I'm curious to see if DoFP attempts to explain/retcon it or if they'll just gloss over it.

"There are multiple timelines Wolverine. Like one where you lost your memory from an adamantium bullet and fought a weird version of Deadpool on top of a nuclear cooling tower!"

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo

Man. I know a lot of people make jokes like "There was no fourth Indiana Jones" or "What Matrix sequels?", but X-Men Origins: Wolverine is one movie I legitimately forget exists until someone brings it up.

kirblar

Whoa, what? MGS didn't invent the conspiracy thriller.
Of course not, but the tanker sequence, the nature of the Insight threat, and the way they played the fantastical completely straight (Zola, TWS) were all very reminiscent of the series in the best way possible. '70s political thrillers were also another clear influence.

I saw this last night : > It was fun and definitely a huge improvement from the first movie. I enjoyed it, although yeahyeah, there were parts in it where I was wondering why doesn't he just call Tony Stark to help him out a bit.

All in all, very enjoyable.

Man, he was buffed and very pretty in the opening jogging scene < 3

The part where Nick Fury was suddenly ambushed was intense !

Also, Bucky : >

And, I really liked that part where Black Widow was kicking ass and the camera was behind her and then she walked off to the right. She's got beautiful curves *___*

Will there be a Hulk movie before Ultron? Does anyone know?

kirblar

I don't think a solo Hulk film would be a good idea. As part of a smaller ensemble cast (a la CA2) I could see it working, though.

Slayven

I don't think a solo Hulk film would be a good idea. As part of a smaller ensemble cast (a la CA2) I could see it working, though.

I think a solo Hulk could work with a good cast. Throw in Amadeus Chow in and make it a fucked up buddy cop thing.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I think I'll be on my death bed clinging to hope that Fox loses the rights to F4...

While lying there, the 14th reboot of F4 will be on the horizon, and they're all now pre-teens.
Except Thing, he's now been replaces by a dog, and Doom is some pre-teen girl, with a bad accent.

I honestly could see F4 rights reverting back.

If the upcoming one bombs. Fox may decide to just sell them back. Going to cost Marvel a hefty amount, but I do see it in the cards. Where it may just be better to take the check rather than having to keep investing in a new one every 5 years or so for another flop.

Xmen and Spiderman are never returning.

Top Bottom