• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Er............ well ........

cGDnQJH.jpg

Somehow they managed to make him badass.

I like it. I want more costumes closer to the comic books.

J10

Banned
Still don't know if that was Disney/Shane Black shoehorning that as a side show thing or if they actually are serious about making the kid important.

Remove that kid's 15 minutes of the movie and replace him with the real Mandarin.

No wait, that's just crazy. The blond white guy with the dragon tattoos works better. The kid stays.

Avengers vs. XMEN. She was roughly about half as powerful as the Phoenix force in that one, though not really the bad guy there.

She seems to have gotten a boost in power in recent years. I don't remember her being such a threat early on...perhaps I'm just horribly wrong here.

Or maybe Marvel just likes overpowered psychics...

.GqueB.

Banned
Still don't know if that was Disney/Shane Black shoehorning that as a side show thing or if they actually are serious about making the kid important.
He signed on for multiple movies though right? At least I thought I heard that. If so, that'd imply that they have a plan for him.

inky

Well, he did have a whole sub plot with him being bullied, then saving his bully from death and shit, BUT it also got cut, so who knows.

I didn't mind him in the movie, but I don't really see a fucking kid superhero unless they want to make that its own thing for the super young audience (who already loves the current Avengers anyways).

.GqueB.

Banned
Well, he did have a whole sub plot with him being bullied, then saving his bully from death and shit, BUT it also got cut, so who knows.

I didn't mind him in the movie, but I don't really see a fucking kid superhero unless they want to make that its own thing for the super young audience (who already loves the current Avengers anyways).
The moment they introduce a kid superhero is the moment I get off this train. It's the reason I stopped watching Power Rangers back in the day. Blue Ranger my ass.

agrajag

Banned
He isn't a super human but he is a peak physical human in all areas:

"Batroc the Leaper has no superhuman abilities, but is in peak physical condition in every respect. He is an Olympic-level weightlifter and has extraordinary agility and reflexes. His leg muscles are particularly well developed enabling him to leap great distances equal to an Olympic athlete. He is an expert hand-to-hand combatant and specializes in savate (French-style kickboxing). He is also a skilled military tactician, having formerly been in the French Foreign Legion."

Wow, thanks for that explanation. Isn't Captain America a peak physical human also, and not super human? Or is he more powerful than that. Seems like he had more durability than Batroc.

neoanarch

Cap has normal strength for a very fit human in the comics, besides slowed aging and the ability to survive frozen he doesn't have any powers.. In the MCU he definitely has super-strength and durability.

agrajag

Banned
Cap has normal strength for a very fit human in the comics, besides slowed aging and the ability to survive frozen he doesn't have any powers.. In the MCU he definitely has super-strength and durability.

he was running through walls like the Hulk in this movie. me gusta

"peak human" means at the peak of homo sapien non modified potential.

So the height of human evolution before a new species would diverge off of homo sapiens.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
The moment they introduce a kid superhero is the moment I get off this train. It's the reason I stopped watching Power Rangers back in the day. Blue Ranger my ass.

Too right! I'll be out for blood if anyone ever tries to make Spider-Man into a movie!

Wow, thanks for that explanation. Isn't Captain America a peak physical human also, and not super human? Or is he more powerful than that. Seems like he had more durability than Batroc.

616 (Main Marvel Universe) Cap is peak human. Ultimate Cap can lift 2 tons and run 35 mph.

Movie Cap seems to be clearly above 616 but well below Ultimate in strength levels.

Still incredibly young. He was 15 when he became Spider-Man. Miles is younger.

It's not about age. It's about where the character is mentally and emotionally. A 10 year old kid is going to be inherently different than a 15 year old in how they'd handle pretty much everything. It lends to more shallow and straight forward plotting.

That guy looks really good in the costume. Definitely one of the better MCU costumes.

yeah they did both Batroc and Crossbones really well. Although Crossbones might return in an even more closer to comics version in the upcoming movies with a mask, since he was so badly hurt in this.

616 (Main Marvel Universe) Cap is peak human. Ultimate Cap can lift 2 tons and run 35 mph.

Movie Cap seems to be clearly above 616 but well below Ultimate in strength levels.

Not correct. 616 cap is exactly as strong as ultimate is, and faster on foot.

There have been a few threads with this topic already. 616 cap is stronger, faster, and more durable than its possible for a human to be, even with crazy amounts of exercise.

Edit: 616 cap also either does not age or does so extremely slowly, and may be effectively immortal.

neoanarch

There have been a few threads with this topic already. 616 cap is stronger, faster, and more durable than its possible for a human to be, even with crazy amounts of exercise.

Edit: 616 cap also either does not age or does so extremely slowly, and may be effectively immortal.

Marvel has released rankings before. 616 Cap is peak "human" which most of the the time means anything an Olympic athlete can do Rogers can do. Ult Cap is "enhanced" and that just means he is stronger, faster, and more durable than 616 Cap.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Steven_Rogers_(Earth-616)#Powers
http://marvel.wikia.com/Steven_Rogers_(Earth-1610)#Powers

To be fair, The Winter Soldier arc in the comics made Batroc a decent threat as well. He's still kind of a joke though. Especially outside of that series.

Marvel has released rankings before. 616 Cap is peak "human" which most of the the time means anything an Olympic athlete can do Rogers can do. Ult Cap is "enhanced" and that just means he is stronger, faster, and more durable than 616 Cap.

The wikis aren't accurate, and 616 cap has been shown doing things far, FAR past Olympic athlete level for decades. Check the thread, the scans are all there. Search for the cap vs batman thread, or the cap vs master chief thread.

616 cap has been clocked at 60mph while carrying others, lifting telephone poles, trees, and I-beams with one arm, leaping from planes sans parachute and shattering the concrete on landing, tearing open blast doors with his bare hands, stated to be able to " see faster than normal humans" thanks to the serum, and taken point blank shots to the head and gotten up in minutes.

"peak human" is an inaccurate descriptor that started in the old MU handbooks, and those weren't quite accurate either, labeling certain characters as 90 or 100 tons that were lifting tens of thousands on panel. (wonder man).

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

its too late for the wikipedia bullshit, 70 years of comics has the guy doing things no regular human can do and still go about their business. I dont care what condition you are in you arent going to jump out of a building on the 5th floor grab a flag hit the ground running and keep it moving like it was nothing. Cap has always been a super human , the serum made him max human the chamber made him more.

Zen

Banned

Yeah this is not true, sorry (again!). Cap is described as peak human in most sources, and his feats are not meant to push him past that aside from comic book silliness. At best you can argue for conflicting messaging on this front, at best, but even the movie pretty much went out of its way to not make him appear super human. The super soldier serum made him peak human, and that means the peak of what a human is capable of genetically speaking any feats that he does are merely the result of that status. You could argue superhuman within the realm of his particular level of peak human being pretty much impossible to practically obtain (but still possible in theory), but that is about it.

Olympic level athletes have not perfectly trained their entire lives (which is the equivalent of the super soldier serum) nor received a drug that basically configured them to optimal human potential. So of course (in conjunction with comic book silliness) Cap will have feats that surpass an Olympic athlete. We are still breaking records as training becomes more comprehensive.

And honestly, Cap not being a superhuman is a part of what makes the character compelling to a lot of his fans. He is not superhuman, which makes his drive and struggle all the more potent, and better reflects his own accomplishments as our own potential.

Yeah this is not true, sorry (again). Cap is described as peak human in most sources, and his feats are not meant to push him past that aside from comic book silliness. At best you can argue for conflicting messaging on this front, at best, but even the movie pretty much went out of its way to not make him appear super human. The super soldier serum made him peak human, and that means the peak of what a human is capable of genetically speaking any feats that he does are merely the result of that status. You could argue superhuman within the realm of his particular level of peak human being pretty much impossible to practically obtain (but still possible in theory), but that is about it.

Olympic level athletes have not perfectly trained their entire lives (which is the equivalent of the super soldier serum) nor received a drug that basically configured them to optimal human potential. So of course (in conjunction with comic book silliness) Cap will have feats that surpass an Olympic athlete.

And honestly, Cap not being a superhuman is a part of what makes the character compelling to a lot of his fans. He is not superhuman, which makes his drive and struggle all the more potent, and better reflects his own accomplishments as our own potential.

It absolutely is true. And there are no "sources" more authoritative than Cap's own books, which are reviewed and approved by marvel editorial before they see print.

Even the old handbooks were revised and corrected when information in them conflicted with the actual comics, as the comics take priority.

Cap originally started out with " no powers" as a descriptor back in the 60s, but that was rapidly abandoned. Winter Soldier when assuming the mantle of captain America estimated Rogers was three times as fast and strong as he was. Cable when sparring with Rogers said the same thing, but threw in "triple his endurance" on top of it.

Rogers has taken full shots from those with superhuman strength like namor and spidey without slowing down, and in recent storylines has been literally blown up by gambit at point blank range without a scratch, and carved out a two foot section of flesh from his chest, waded into combat, and healed completely in a matter of days.

Power creep in the MU is definitely a real issue. No one is still at the level they were in the 1960s. Spidey, Thor, Thing, Hulk, and the Xmen are all vastly more powerful, and the super soldier serum and what it's capable of has been similarly upgraded as the years pass.

There is no way anyone has read a cap or Avengers book in the past two decades and still pegs Steve Rogers at the level of an Olympic athlete. It's totally at odds with every modern portrayal of him.

Top Bottom