• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Captain America
Iron Man
The Hulk
Thor
Hawkeye
Black Widow
Scarlet Witch
Quicksilver

Maria Hill (Cameo?)
Nick Fury (Glorified cameo)
War Machine (Cameo?)

Ultron
Baron Von Strucker

That's a lot of characters, I don't think it would be possible to fit The Winter Soldier in there. It also wouldn't be a very good fit in the story.

Caboose

no chance, they already have WAY to many characters in av2. everyone from avengers 1 + 5/6 new ones...i am a bit worried how whedon is going to deal with that.

Coulson, Selvig and Loki are gone, Fury, Hill and War Machine will probably be cameos. That's 6 characters you basically don't have to worry about right there.

duckroll

This movie had Cap, Fury, Hill, Black Widow, Zola, Peggy, all returning from the previous movies. It added to that Batroc, Rumlow, Pierce, Agent 13, Falcon, and the Winter Soldier. Didn't feel like a hot mess at all.

In the end it's not about how many new and returning characters there are, it's about not trying to forcefully use everything in every scene. For most of the returning characters, they could have bigger or smaller roles depending on what the story needs, but since there's no need to reintroduce them or establish who they are, it's really not an issue.

S1kkZ

Coulson, Selvig and Loki are gone, Fury, Hill and War Machine will probably be cameos. That's 6 characters you basically don't have to worry about right there.

war machine is in this one? didnt know that.
but you still have to deal with the origin story of two new avengers and one new villain, one new additional villain and maybe another rumored brand-new character + origin.

Caboose

war machine is in this one? didnt know that.
but you still have to deal with the origin story of two new avengers and one new villain, one new additional villain and maybe another rumored brand-new character + origin.

Sure, but you don't have to spend 45 minutes introducing the other Avengers again. You can hit the ground running with the OG Avengers assembling in the first ten minutes or whatever.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The soundtrack for this was the best Marvel one yet.

I actually disagree. For all its strengths, the soundtrack was pretty unremarkable, compared to Brian Tyler's work in Iron Man 3 and Thor 2. I was pretty disappointed that the Captain America theme was only used once. It should have played when Cap announces HYDRA plan to all of SHIELD towards the end.

no chance, they already have WAY to many characters in av2. everyone from avengers 1 + 5/6 new ones...i am a bit worried how whedon is going to deal with that.

I would like to see Falcon in Avengers 2. Since he's a member in the new Avengers cartoon, I thought it would happen, but it looks like it's not happening.

Yo! I popped off in the theater when they showed Witch and Quicksilver....

Was awesome to see silver in motion....I'm 100% confident he will be bad ass....those still photos will be done justice in the final product.

Amazing movie.

Strongest MCU soundtracks, in my opinion:

Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
Iron Man
The Avengers
Iron Man 3
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Thor: The Dark World

Can't remember the rest.

Abounder

Banned
I have faith that Joss Whedon can juggle an ensemble cast much like how he tied up Firefly in Serenity. I also expect key deaths especially since superhero movies have to up the ante in each sequel. What's the point of tying up this universe together if War Machine isn't even in the Avengers or doesn't even get a line

inky

This movie had Cap, Fury, Hill, Black Widow, Zola, Peggy, all returning from the previous movies. It added to that Batroc, Rumlow, Pierce, Agent 13, Falcon, and the Winter Soldier. Didn't feel like a hot mess at all.

In the end it's not about how many new and returning characters there are, it's about not trying to forcefully use everything in every scene. For most of the returning characters, they could have bigger or smaller roles depending on what the story needs, but since there's no need to reintroduce them or establish who they are, it's really not an issue.

I agree. The Avengers script was really tight. It gave everyone a proper introduction and similar screentime during the first third, and at the same time it connected them all and very clearly established the conflict. People often forget but even Selvig had a large role in the movie as well, with lots of lines and screentime and that didn't take away from any of the main characters.

It is probably going to run a bit longer, but if the plot is solid everyone is going to get their time to shine.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I'm calling it now. With Sebastian Stan signed for 9 movies (having done 2) and Chris Evans wanting out after 2017... I bet after Avengers 3 and Cap 3 Bucky becomes Captain America.

Stoze

I agree. The Avengers script was really tight. It gave everyone a proper introduction and similar screentime during the first third, and at the same time it connected them all and very clearly established the conflict. People often forget but even Selvig had a large role in the movie as well, with lots of lines and screentime and that didn't take away from any of the main characters.

It is probably going to run a bit longer, but if the plot is solid everyone is going to get their time to shine.

I always thought that was really impressive about the Avengers, there was so many protagonists and characters to focus on but they pulled it off pretty damn well.

I also think just having one big, bad guy helps out superhero movies, instead of multiple bads and trying to focus on them. Then we end up like the Spiderman movies, I don't want that.

Just watched it. Bloody awesome. The fight choreography was amazingly brutal and visceral.

Stephen Strange!!

Mid-credits scene and the twins was f-awesome; end credits scene meh

S1kkZ

I'm calling it now. With Sebastian Stan signed for 9 movies (having done 2) and Chris Evans wanting out after 2017... I bet after Avengers 3 and Cap 3 Bucky becomes Captain America.

sure, why not. but if they kill off evans cap, they should do it for good (same for stark). no more steve rogers/tony stark until marvel hits the reset button and re-boots the whole mcu.

NotLiquid

The soundtrack for this was the best Marvel one yet.

I can see a lot of people disagreeing with this and I've seen one or two reviews condemning it as generic Hans Zimmer knock-offs and being a bunch of noisy hogwash (despite none attesting to seeing the movie to know how it works in context), but while I don't think I'd rank it as the best soundtrack of the Marvel movies it probably had the pieces I remember the most.

I think a good number of preceding Marvel movies probably had much more memorable theme songs than The Winter Soldier (The Avengers and Iron Man 3 was probably the better ones that stick out in my mind), but The Winter Soldier's OST was the first time I legitimately wanted to get the score to listen to all the tracks. I don't know, maybe it isn't too remarkable when compared to your average spy thrillers and maybe it is kind of generic, but I really think Jackman nailed the tension and upped the ante which creates a nice contrast between the original's pulp WWII aesthetic and the sequel's more conspiracy oriented throw down.

I don't know. All I do know is that once The Winter Soldier's theme kicked in and we got to see him in action for the first time, I was completely intimidated and chills ran through my spine.

Sadist

I kinda want Falcon in the Avengers.

Still, a movie juggeling around Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Widow, Hawkeye, Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch is big enough. I guess Iron Patriot and Falcon will get cameo's.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Iron Patriot (hopefully with a War Machine rebranding) will appear, Falcon and Fury wont appear, when you go after what Samuel L. Jackson told in a Interview.

As definitive as that end was, I'd love more Redford in the MCU. It was such a weird casting choice when it got announced (Me: How'd they get Redford?... Wait, WHY did they get Redford?!"), but damn was it good.

I like that he got the special "as character name" billing too

NotLiquid

I kinda want Falcon in the Avengers.

Still, a movie juggeling around Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Widow, Hawkeye, Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch is big enough. I guess Iron Patriot and Falcon will get cameo's.

And Avengers 3 might end up having all of those, and possibly Ant-Man, Doctor Strange and presumably the entire entourage from Guardians of The Galaxy...

S1kkZ

Shit...I can see them splitting Avengers 3 into 2-part now.

or they will kill a few avengers in ultron. downey is on his way out and while he signed for av 2+3, killing him at the end of part 2 would be a huge shock/cliffhanger. they wont kill cap and thor, since cap 3 and thor 3 are already announced.

or they will just have rotating teams. not every avenger needs to be in av3.

Screenboy

I just waited for the scene, when he would fall with his head in a fire or something like this and would stand up as the new Red Skull. To bad that this didnt happened...

I thought it made sense because Robert Redfords skin looks like it's hanging off his face.

Seeing IM, Hulk and Thor being captured for part of Avengers 2 which is what leads Cap to recruit the twins who they defeated along with BW and Hawkeye.

Think how they are going to balance the movie.

The ending really does shake things up for AoS. Will they become a renegade group or form their own version of SHIELD? I hope it means the end of AoS and the beginning of Agent Peggy Carter.

Anyway, I really liked how they handled Zola. I'm going to assume that's not the last we'll see of him, he'll have undoubtedly copied himself a few times, especially if he had a net connection. I just hope he doesn't go on to become Ultron....

I was really disappointed that Redford's character wasn't revealed as the Red Skull. I was so sure they'd unmask him, but nope...missed opportunity I felt.

And I loved the mid credit scene with the twins and how they've decided to handle powers/mutations by using the staff from Avengers. Perfect way to get round that nonsensical ban on them using mutants...

I don't think Zola will become Ultron. I think he's going to be a problem created by the Avengers themselves.

Yeah, that's my hope. It'd feel a little off if it was Zola. I'd take Jarvis becoming Ultron over that happening.

And I really want to see a live action M.O.D.O.K at some point...

Dai101

Banned
I was really disappointed that Redford's character wasn't revealed as the Red Skull. I was so sure they'd unmask him, but nope...missed opportunity I felt.

I'm glad they didn't go this way. I liked that the bigger threat was one american white man with much power at his will. Enough of ze evilz germanz

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I don't think Zola will become Ultron. I think he's going to be a problem created by the Avengers themselves.

I would bet, that Zola will create a Virus to corrupt Jarvis and will creat Ultrons KI out of this.
Also, I expect Ultrons body will be created from some of destroyed Iron Men from the House Party of Iron Man 3 and that it will be powered by Lokis spear.

I'm glad they didn't go this way. I liked that the bigger threat was one american white man with much power at his will. Enough of ze evilz germanz

There were multiple Red Skulls and one of them was american.

Yeah, I guess that's a good point. Still, I hope we haven't seen the last of Red Skull. I know there was talk of him possibly being dead after the first Cap movie...but he's such a big part of the Cap universe, that it just wouldn't feel right if he didn't make a reappearance at some point.

Dai101

Banned
Yeah, I guess that's a good point. Still, I hope we haven't seen the last of Red Skull. I know there was talk of him possibly being dead after the first Cap movie...but he's such a big part of the Cap universe, that it just wouldn't feel right if he didn't make a reappearance at some point.

Well he isn't technically ded. The Tesseract took him the fuck-i-know-somewhere

Here are my thoughts on the connection between Loki's sceptre and the Twins: They had dormant mutated genes which were awakened by the sceptre? A little far fetched, but eh.

Top Bottom