• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Cptkrush

I did.

Okay, so the main antagonist thingy is defeated. Great. That only happens in every movie ever.

I don't read the comics so I wouldn't really know or care.

Nick Fury being in hiding isn't even a big deal, probably. I'm guessing he'll probably still be just as involved as ever in future movies, except now they'll have one-liners written for how he's in hiding.

so because you don't read comics, the plot isn't important? I don't read comics either, but I still saw the importance of this movie

S.H.I.E.L.D. is no more, this changes everything within the MCU

These movies take place in their own movie universe based loosely on comics, anything could happen. In fact, I don't even know if SHIELD ever dismantled like this in the books, I doubt they have.

BLACKLAC

I did.

Okay, so the main antagonist thingy is defeated. Great. That only happens in every movie ever.

Hydra wasn't defeated. That particular plan was foiled but Hydra is still active and still causing ruckus(after credit scene).

Thor 2 had better action scenes (which is the only reason to watch these movies imo anyway) and it had better pacing and better written side-characters imo.

I liked Thor 2 and it had good action, very creative end fight, I disagree though. Cap 2's action was very high tier for the character, Thor can still greatly improve it's action for the character. Cap 2 wins out for me.

Cptkrush

I don't think I said that.

no, you didn't but you're kind of missing the point of the movie when you say nothing of significance happened. I mean a lot of significant things happened, possibly changing the whole tone of the future films

And BLACKLAC brings up a fair point, the enemy was not defeated. The plan was ruined, but they aren't going anywhere.

Cth

As an aside, losing SHIELD moves the MCU away from the "Ultimate" model and opens the door for more "616" stuff. Also, the introduction of "miracles" opens the door for the MCU even more (in terms of items of significance occuring)

As an aside, I think Thor 2 was the worst of the MCU films. So much wasted potential.

Aaron

I disliked how Cap didn't have a scratch on him until the very final battle. Seriously, they dropped a bomb on that bunker, buried him in concrete, and his hair didn't even get mussed. He jumped out of an elevator, fell like six stories, and is mildly dazed. He's a super soldier. Not the Hulk.

The Lamp

Hydra wasn't defeated. That particular plan was foiled but Hydra is still active and still causing ruckus(after credit scene).

I liked Thor 2 and it had good action, very creative end fight. I disagree though Cap 2's action wins out for me.

Hmm. I didn't stay for the credits, I guess. My friends wanted to leave and I did too.

no, you didn't but you're kind of missing the point of the movie when you say nothing of significance happened. I mean a lot of significant things happened, possibly changing the whole tone of the future films

Well, I said I don't feel like anything of significance was lost or gained--I had a whole explanation for what I meant about this typed up, but I figured it's not worth it. It's fine that you disagree. I don't mind. I'm gonna step away, though, because I just recently got banned when talking about what I thought of Marvel movies.

EDIT: just realized this is the spoiler thread and I didn't have to refer to the Winter Soldier as you-know-who hahahaha.

Cynar

I disliked how Cap didn't have a scratch on him until the very final battle. Seriously, they dropped a bomb on that bunker, buried him in concrete, and his hair didn't even get mussed. He jumped out of an elevator, fell like six stories, and is mildly dazed. He's a super soldier. Not the Hulk.
Have you read any captain America comics? Pretty accurate depiction IMO. I was giddy as hell when he jumped from that elevator.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
jIsHtZu.png
JvRqby4.png

WOWWWWWWWW that packaging is RED HOT!!!!

I hope the regular Blu Ray/3D Blu Ray cases use this too! I'm not a fan of steelbooks but I'm loving this cover

As much as I love avengers, cap in there felt too normal for me. You hardly see how super he is. This is the movie that really show how cap is a super soldier.

Aaron

As much as I love avengers, cap in there felt too normal for me. You hardly see how super he is. This is the movie that really show how cap is a super soldier.
There's super soldier, and there's invulnerable god man. Thor got beaten around in his movies way more than Cap did. I liked what Cap did in the movie. I just feel like he could have suffered just a little from the result. Even Falcon comes out a little too pristine, and he's a normal dude.

Cth

To be fair, the shield is made of vibranium which absorbs kinetic energy.

Or to put it another way, Thor hit it enraged and Cap was fine.

The main thing that had me wondering was the magnet he seemingly had on his back. He'd attach the shield on easily and take it off easily, but dropping into the ocean, etc it never fell off.

Ah well, comics :D

BLACKLAC

There's super soldier, and there's invulnerable god man. Thor got beaten around in his movies way more than Cap did. I liked what Cap did in the movie. I just feel like he could have suffered just a little from the result. Even Falcon comes out a little too pristine, and he's a normal dude.

Winter Soldier sent Cap flying into a bus and he didn't just hop back up after eating that dead fall from the elevator, also lets not forget he was bleeding a lot from being shot a couple times at the end and Bucky basically saving his life. Dude had it rough, what more do you want 0_o. Falcon was getting smacked around by both Rumlow and Winter Soldier.

Every main character in this movie took a bullet except for Falcon(and Bucky).

To be fair, the shield is made of vibranium which absorbs kinetic energy.

Or to put it another way, Thor hit it enraged and Cap was fine.

The main thing that had me wondering was the magnet he seemingly had on his back. He'd attach the shield on easily and take it off easily, but dropping into the ocean, etc it never fell off.

He didn't have the shield on his back, he dropped it when he told Bucky he wouldn't fight anymore.

Yeah, I was trying to work that out, too. In the comics and cartoons he stretches the leather straps of the shield over his shoulders, but that obviously doesn't work in real life so he has a whole harness for it. However, how that thing actually attaches to the harness is beyond me. I assume it's the same dark magic that lets video game characters stick swords and guns to their backs :p

Yeah, I was trying to work that out, too. In the comics and cartoons he stretches the leather straps of the shield over his shoulders, but that obviously doesn't work in real life so he has a whole harness for it. However, how that thing actually attaches to the harness is beyond me. I assume it's the same dark magic that lets video game characters stick swords and guns to their backs :p

In my head, it's the magical super strong silent Velcro that was "invented" in the movie Garden State.

Have you read any captain America comics? Pretty accurate depiction IMO. I was giddy as hell when he jumped from that elevator.

I think over the years he's gone from "guy in really, really good shape" to "borderline superhuman" in the comics (although granted a stopped reading the comics several years ago). The movies have him more at that "borderline superhuman" level and I attribute a lot of his durability to the shield.

These are mere plot devices that create stakes for the central characters, yes, but any stake could have been written in to evoke a personal reaction or story arc for the central character, the one everyone is paying money to see. People aren't rushing to this expecting to see a Shield movie. Regardless of the circumstances or conflict inserted into any film, the buy-in is the personal journey the hero embarks. It sounds like The Lamp just didn't make a connection at that point.

Many people are not going to walk in asking how the events around Shield will affect the central character but , rather, how will the central character overcome challenges. The character has to be the subject here.

Yeah, pretty much in all superhero movies you know the hero is going to live... he's a superhero. There is never a real threat that Thor, Cap, Batman, etc. are actually going to die... they might get beat up or injured but they're not going to die. I actually thought they did a good job connecting Cap to SHIELD and Cap's struggles as to whether he belongs in SHIELD or not. Having him fight SHIELD and come back at the end to basically dismantle it I think is pretty big stakes for Cap personally as well as for the MCU.

Log4Girlz

I think over the years he's gone from "guy in really, really good shape" to "borderline superhuman" in the comics (although granted a stopped reading the comics several years ago). The movies have him more at that "borderline superhuman" level and I attribute a lot of his durability to the shield.

Yeah, pretty much in all superhero movies you know the hero is going to live... he's a superhero. There is never a real threat that Thor, Cap, Batman, etc. are actually going to die... they might get beat up or injured but they're not going to die. I actually thought they did a good job connecting Cap to SHIELD and Cap's struggles as to whether he belongs in SHIELD or not. Having him fight SHIELD and come back at the end to basically dismantle it I think is pretty big stakes for Cap personally as well as for the MCU.

He has always been depicted as super human, to the point where people question why Marvel always insist he is somehow a "peak human" and not just an outright meta.

He has always been depicted as super human, to the point where people question why Marvel always insist he is somehow a "peak human" and not just an outright meta.

How far back are you reading? I read Captain America mostly in the 80s and 90s and he was not really depicted as superhuman back then. I read a bit more in the 2000s and he definitely escalated to the borderline superhuman and occasionally superhuman level then.

Aaron

Yeah, pretty much in all superhero movies you know the hero is going to live... he's a superhero. There is never a real threat that Thor, Cap, Batman, etc. are actually going to die... they might get beat up or injured but they're not going to die.
My problem was Cap doesn't actually get beat up or injured until the very end. Elevator brawl and dropping six stories? He staggers for five seconds. Bomb and rubble dropped on his head? He got a little smoky. Tossed off an overpass and through a bus? Knocked out for a bit. No actual injuries. I know it would be hard for the movie to play out with broken bones, but a dislocated arm and a few flesh wounds that needed patching up would have given a tiny hint of humanity. Instead he's basically the T-2000 in this movie.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Thor 2 had better action scenes (which is the only reason to watch these movies imo anyway) and it had better pacing and better written side-characters imo.

I loved Thor 2, but CA:TWS has the best action scenes in any Marvel movie to date. Better than Thor 2, better than Avengers, better than any Iron Man movie, just better period. It may have the best action scenes of any comic book movie to date, all of them, even the Nolan Batman's and Blade 1 & 2 IMHO.

How can you even say that with a straight face? :)

Atkison04

Man, why does Amazon US not have this up for pre-order yet? It's been on amazon uk and I see that nice steel book up above listed..I'm feeling pretty jealous! I just want to own it already! Amazon uk already even has Spiderman 2 up for pre-order! Get it together US!

vgJames

Banned
Loved the choreography of the film - really impactful. The film surprised me, wasn't a fan of the first Captain America yet the second could be my favorite Avengers movie.

y2dvd

I loved Thor 2, but CA:TWS has the best action scenes in any Marvel movie to date. Better than Thor 2, better than Avengers, better than any Iron Man movie, just better period. It may have the best action scenes of any comic book movie to date, all of them, even the Nolan Batman's and Blade 1 & 2 IMHO.

How can you even say that with a straight face? :)

Anything's better than Nolan's Batman fight scenes except for the first bane fight.

I understand film name differences between regions, and I understand that the term Avengers Assemble was used in the comics too, but I still don't understand the reasoning behind "The Avengers" in the US (and maybe other places) and "Avengers Assemble" elsewhere.

Anyways, I have the briefcase version of Phase 1, but I wasn't a huge, huge fan of the MCU back when the Phase 1 movies were coming out, so I had no problem waiting (even after the outrageous delay). However, I have the 3D Bluray combo packs of Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 already, because I just couldn't wait. I will probably buy Cap 2 and GOTG when they come out, but I'll hold off on Age of Ultron until the Phase 2 set comes out. Then I'll just try to piecemeal sell off the individual Blurays.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yes it is! http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0083SBMGW?pc_redir=1398071276&robot_redir=1

However, the price on it has gone way up since it first came out. It is an awesome set, but doesn't include the second discs for Iron Man and Iron Man 2, the "Tesseract" is a crappy white plastic block that blinks blue, and the briefcase is obviously not full size.

Other than that, and I know that sounded negative, it is an awesome set!

Aw, it's awesome but has none of the newer movies. That's the problem with editions like this, you'll never have all the movies.

gosox333

This was really just a SHIELD movie featuring Cap as the main character. If I knew that going in I'd have been reluctant, but holy balls did they pull it off.

Tom_Cody

This was really just a SHIELD movie featuring Cap as the main character. If I knew that going in I'd have been reluctant, but holy balls did they pull it off.
Leading up to the first Avengers film, there was a lot of talk that a stand-alone Shield movie was being planned. Here's one of many stories one can find about it:
http://screenrant.com/shield-movie-after-the-avengers-rob-59833/

I can't help but wonder if there were ever plans for a separate Cap sequel, and then at some point they decided to fold the two together?

zma1013

I jokingly call it Captain America and Friends, but it makes sense for the story to have a heavy focus on SHIELD because Captain America is a soldier and he's used to fighting for his country with a team... unfortunately for him, he's now in an era where it's hard to tell what people's intentions and motivations are. The other Avengers all have their own environments that are separated from SHIELD, so they shouldn't have a SHIELD focus. Stark/Ironman has his company and all the things that go along with that, Thor obviously lives on a completely different planet, and the Banner/Hulk specifically goes out of his way to be hidden so he doesn't get all riled up.

Loved the choreography of the film - really impactful. The film surprised me, wasn't a fan of the first Captain America yet the second could be my favorite Avengers movie.

have you watched The Raid by any chance? the russo brothers say the fight scenes in the winter soldier were inspired by that movie

I understand film name differences between regions, and I understand that the term Avengers Assemble was used in the comics too, but I still don't understand the reasoning behind "The Avengers" in the US (and maybe other places) and "Avengers Assemble" elsewhere.

The Avengers was an old UK TV program and something something copyright.

It's dumb and I hate it but oh well.

EDIT: I really shouldn't leave tabs open for ages before responding

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

TheAvengersCalendar.jpg

avengers-300x280.jpg

Aw jeeze what the heck, this is the kind of box set I wanted, just a small solid box for the movies, not all that extra packaging garbage. Is this not an America thing?

Wouldn't know about the US, i bought it day-1 from the UK. I also loved the compact design of it, here's a better photo i just took of my copy:
avengers_boxset.JPG

Wow, is that real/orderable?

Yeah its very real. I was hoping it to be kinda like the 007 Box sets that have space for the upcoming movies too :D

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Aw, it's awesome but has none of the newer movies. That's the problem with editions like this, you'll never have all the movies.

I've stopped myself buying any of the MCU films on disc and waiting until they release Phases 1-3 in one big edition. It's gonna happen, it's gonna happen.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
have you watched The Raid by any chance? the russo brothers say the fight scenes in the winter soldier were inspired by that movie

Oh snap, is that true? Make sense, as I quite enjoyed both film's action scenes.

I've stopped myself buying any of the MCU films on disc and waiting until they release Phases 1-3 in one big edition. It's gonna happen, it's gonna happen.

God, it's going to be incredible.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Oh snap, is that true? Make sense, as I quite enjoyed both film's action scenes.

The Russo's weren't just inspired by The Raid, didn't they also hire the fight choreographer from The Raid too? Man I need to see CA:TWS again before it leaves the big screen.

It has to do with the classic British spy series The Avengers. Pretty sure it's an actual copyright issue.

vgJames

Banned

Certainly have! Have the first on Blu-Ray and caught the second in theaters. You can really tell, I heard about them talking about it beforehand and that elevator scene demonstrated it well. Likewise the opening fight with the leaper.

Riposte

Fight scenes were great(best in the overarching series), but I wish the camera was a little more stable during certain moves.

Have they said what they'll be doing with the whole Magneto connection?

Top Bottom