• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Dead Man

Could you imagine if somehow such an AI found a way to transfer it's own consciousness into a physical body? What kind of ethos would such a being posses?

Yes yes, I get the joke about the next Avengers movie, but does anyone think Jarvis will be nerfed? I would like to think so, but I doubt it. The level of AI being advanced is not my issue, nor is it the danger of a rogue AI that bothers me. It is the insane level of AI that has been achieved and everyone seems to accept it as normal.

I know it is a weird thing to be concerned about, but it takes me out of the movie a bit when there is no need for people to actually do anything except tell an AI to do something.

J10

Banned
Science fiction writers have been doing this for like a hundred years. Why would anyone be amazed by the idea of AI at any level at this point? Even if you're young, Ultron will just be another incarnation of the Terminator for some kids.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Saw it a couple days ago and enjoyed it - but I didn't love it. It was the same feeling that I had when I left Thor 2, although I do think Winter Soldier is a better film in just about every way.

Post-Avengers I've had a weird relationship with Marvel's movies. The Avengers felt like such a crescendo for the MCU that the final acts of Thor 2 and Cap 2 have felt redundant to me. It's like Kevin Fiege has a mandate that each solo film has to end with some sort of doomsday-scenario that likely won't ever be mentioned again once the credits roll - at least not until the next Avengers. To this movie's credit, something substantial actually did happen - the dismantling of Shield. If that didn't happen, I would have asked what the point of this film even was in the long run. That aside, I enjoyed Falcon's introduction a lot (and the brief Dr. Strange name drop).

I think part of it may just be that I'm getting a bit bored of the current MCU slate of characters and am ready for some more new faces. That's probably why I'm really looking forward to GotG and Ant-Man.
I don't get this complaint. Other than the threat that the president was going to die, Iron Man 3 didn't end in a gigantic doomsday scenario. It was a bunch of Iron Man armors vs. a bunch of Extremis goons. Hardly cataclysmic.

deleted

I don't get this complaint. Other than the threat that the president was going to die, Iron Man 3 didn't end in a gigantic doomsday scenario. It was a bunch of Iron Man armors vs. a bunch of Extremis goons. Hardly cataclysmic.

I hope Cap 3 goes the same route - throw 'the world at stake' out of the window and go deeply personal. I would like to see the same with Avengers 3, but I guess that won't be happening..

I thought IM3 was the weakest. The token child character killed it for me.

Yeah, it was pretty terrible. That and the fact that super powered Pepper saved the day and the whole uneventful scene where the arc reactor is pulled out of Iron man with no fanfare or buildup was kinda terrible.

Thor 2 was at least as mediocre as Thor 1. Hell, I don't even remember who the main villian was in thor 2.

Winter Soldier kinda shames them all.

Gorillaz

Yeah, it was pretty terrible. That and the fact that super powered Pepper saved the day and the whole uneventful scene where the arc reactor is pulled out of Iron man with no fanfare or buildup was kinda terrible.

Thor 2 was at least as mediocre as Thor 1. Hell, I don't even remember who the main villian was in thor 2.

I cringed during super Pepper scene.

I was like "enough"

IM3 is actually my favorite of the Iron Man movies, as heretical as it sounds. Thought it was really fun throughout, although I thought some of Killian towards the end was kinda stupid.

Iron Man 3 is, IMO, the best of the Phase 2 movies so far. I loved the kid character and the dynamic, and I actually thought his acting was pretty good. I loved the Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang feeling the movie gave off, and the twist was hilarious.

Cap 2 comes in second, as another very great movie. I thought the political thriller vibe was perfect for a Captain America movie, and Evans played the role even better than before.

Thor 2 is in third, but it certainly isn't without its charms. The action was great, the Thor/Loki dynamic was great as always, and the comedic moments were much improved from the first. I know most people here don't like Kat, but I think she is absolutely hilarious in the Thor movies.

The Dark World gets too much hate IMO, I think it's a good, action-packed movie stifled by an underdeveloped villain, which is something many of the MCU movies suffer from.

Iron Man 3 is pretty much exactly the same to me, I like the movie a lot and the direction they went works really well, except for the fact that Killian is a stupid lame villain, so the movie kinda shoots itself in the foot once the Mandarin twist is out of the way. The armor battle at the end is also not that exciting.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Iron Man 3 is, IMO, the best of the Phase 2 movies so far. I loved the kid character and the dynamic, and I actually thought his acting was pretty good. I loved the Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang feeling the movie gave off, and the twist was hilarious.

Cap 2 comes in second, as another very great movie. I thought the political thriller vibe was perfect for a Captain America movie, and Evans played the role even better than before.

Thor 2 is in third, but it certainly isn't without its charms. The action was great, the Thor/Loki dynamic was great as always, and the comedic moments were much improved from the first. I know most people here don't like Kat, but I think she is absolutely hilarious in the Thor movies.

One thing about the Thor movies is that the action always underwhelmed me. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of weapon based, LOTR Fantasy style combat in my superhero movies. I prefer Iron Man repulsors and Cap America Agility/Strategy/Hand to Hand
and Spider-man Acrobatics the most :(((

gatti-man

The Dark World gets too much hate IMO, I think it's a good, action-packed movie stifled by an underdeveloped villain, which is something many of the MCU movies suffer from.

Iron Man 3 is pretty much exactly the same to me, I like the movie a lot and the direction they went works really well, except for the fact that Killian is a stupid lame villain, so the movie kinda shoots itself in the foot once the Mandarin twist is out of the way. The armor battle at the end is also not that exciting.

I had far more fun during dark world than im3. I can shoot holes in both all day long but IM3 is just tony stark doing his thing. Nothing felt important at all.

One thing about the Thor movies is that the action always underwhelmed me. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of weapon based, LOTR Fantasy style combat in my superhero movies. I prefer Iron Man repulsors and Cap America Agility/Strategy/Hand to Hand

Oh I definitely prefer Iron Man/Cap action, but I still quite enjoyed it. I can get behind weapon based combat every once in a while.

Well it's not so much that I hated every moment where they were on Earth, but I'd hope we'd at least get one Thor movie that focused more on mystical/cosmic stuff than always coming back to Earth. Or just solely focusing on Asgard for once - they did a good job fleshing out the Nine Realms in TDW but I don't think every movie needs to be a realm-hopping adventure.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

I have to say, the battle scenes in Vanaheim were pretty underwhelming to me. I was expecting some visceral LOTR style melee combat, but the action seem so small scale and not really epic. Cap 2 really puts it to shame there. I did like the Star Wars style spaceship flying stuff though.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I really liked Iron Man 3, but I hated how disconnected it felt from the overall MCU, even the after credits scene.

The way they ended the movie to this day makes me feel like Stark is outright retired and doesn't want anything to do with "superheroing" anymore. Like, it doesn't make sense to me that he will be involved in Avengers 2 after that ending, much less with a Hulkbuster suit ready to go.

I really liked Iron Man 3, but I hated how disconnected it felt from the overall MCU, even the after credits scene.

I felt this way initially, but knowing now that Ultron is the villain of Avengers 2, it definitely makes a lot of sense and I think we'll see the connections in retrospect. Clearly Tony automating his suits has major repercussions.

BLACKLAC

The way they ended the movie to this day makes me feel like Stark is outright retired and doesn't want anything to do with "superheroing" anymore. Like, it doesn't make sense to me that he will be involved in Avengers 2 after that ending, much less with a Hulkbuster suit ready to go.

Wasn't his last words. "I am Iron Man"?

Regardless Hydra coming back in a big way and being responsible for the death of his parents should add motivation.

I dunno, he may be "retired" but it would make sense to me that with SHIELD gone, he might assume the leadership position simply because he can get into contact with everyone else.

As for the Hulkbuster suit... it might not be ready to go. I mean, sure the South Africa portion was filmed first, but it doesn't necessarily mean it happens at the beginning of the movie. For all we know, that could be part of the endgame battle, a post credits scene, part of a montage... who knows.

kirblar

I felt this way initially, but knowing now that Ultron is the villain of Avengers 2, it definitely makes a lot of sense and I think we'll see the connections in retrospect. Clearly Tony automating his suits has major repercussions.
*pleasehaveultronbezolapleasehaveultronbezola*

Yeah... I don't think Ultron will be Zola. Because if we want a robot with Zola in it... why not just have robot Zola to begin with, you know? It's a waste of a perfectly good villain to mix the two together.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I think it's pretty obvious that the Project Insight AI tracking algorithm created by Zola will evolve into Ultron.

Zola/Ultron doesn't make much sense to make them the same character, but I wouldn't be surprised if Zola showed up in Avengers 2 at some point with Strucker, or maybe Strucker helps get his robot body up and running by the end of the movie, to set him up to be in Cap 3 in some capacity.

MisterHero

This is a legit action movie. Awesome choreography, Cap using his shield like a boss, etc.

I wish there was more Peggy and Bucky though.

Seth C

I really think Tony just retired using Iron Man as a crutch. He no longer sees the suit or the power source as a requirement for living, but something he chooses to do because it has become who he is.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Zola/Ultron doesn't make much sense to make them the same character, but I wouldn't be surprised if Zola showed up in Avengers 2 at some point with Strucker, or maybe Strucker helps get his robot body up and running by the end of the movie, to set him up to be in Cap 3 in some capacity.
i can see the Ultron body being intended for Zola but the AI figuring it could do a better job with that body than Zola.

I don't think Zola's AI will be it. I think (and I'm spoiler tagging because there's precedence for this)
Ultron will be Tony's creation that goes wrong. It'll be another suit that's designed with an autonomous AI that ends up coming to the conclusion that Humanity is it's own greatest threat. Which is the Ultron origin used in Next Avengers. This would be the next logical step from the suits we see in IM3 and would go along with Tony's "retirement" in the sense that he creates it so that he could still protect Earth without having to actually suit up.

NastyBook

That shot of when he lands right in front of the camera. Gawd daym Cap!
It's pretty much THE scene (elevator fight/jump included) that says "This is the man that you're dealing with. Good luck with that." The actual shot where he lands is something I was expecting to happen in the first movie. It felt great here.
I like how the whole fight was just to get over the road block. Cap was stuck if not for that Quinjet.
After seeing how he used the bike to throw himself on top of the Quinjet, I figured he'd just sacrifice the bike the same way to get over the spikes. Either way, they weren't stopping him.

agrajag

Banned

I liked Thor 2. I thought Thor was very "kiddy," but I liked the action in the second one. The end where they were warping in and out of different worlds while fighting was really different and exciting to me. The villain was the main Dark Elf guy.

Aaron

Dark World needed much more of Thor's companions. They're much more interesting than the earthlings, who get way too much screen time, but they're barely in the movie.

Top Bottom