• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Platy

For those recently arrived to this thread:

ofornKv.jpg

There's a imgur gallery with almost all the lists, if somebody has it please post.

http://imgur.com/a/qM5iw

Fuchsdh

Yeah. It's hard for me to know how I would have responded had I not known, but all the Bucky material pre-reveal combined with keeping the Soldier's face hidden was less than subtle. But I heard gasps, I tell ya.

None in my theater, but it was pretty empty. I've heard from a lot of people that it was the case, so clearly it worked.

Insofar as the film itself I think they did a good job showing who Bucky was without slamming the foreshadowing button too hard that anyone with a brain would realize who it was.

Well I saw it today and I would say it's the best Marvel movie since Iron Man 1. It was a substantial improvement over the first one which I thought was mediocre. This was anything but that it was a really good movie. I liked the relationship between Cap and Black Widow a lot and I wasn't expecting Falcon to already have his flying suit, I thought it was gonna be given to him by SHIELD or something of that sort.

Also it seems like Cap and Falcon are bros now and I wanna see them fighting side by side in Cap 3. I don't know why but I thought Sharon Carter was gonna play a bigger role in the movie but since he doesn't know her last name maybe she'll be a bigger part in the sequel.

I was pretty excited when they just name dropped Stephen Strange like it was nothing. As someone who knows most of his comic book knowledge from various awesome GAF comic threads, Wikipedia and some cartoons; were there other awesome references that I wouldn't have caught, like were the names of people they were targeting important or when Sitwell said some kid in Iowa City.

Final thoughts Avengers 2 and most definitely 3 is seriously going to be packed with lots of heroes, I wonder how they're gonna pull it off.

Why was that guy allowed to fill the candy machine in a hospital where a high ranking official was being treated after an assination attempt. Am I the only person in the world bothered by this?

Can't speak for S.H.I.E.L.D. but navy aircraft carriers have people designated to refill snack machines.

Few more days and it will beat Thor 2's domestic take. Then the only ones ahead of it are the Ironman films (and Avengers).

Another $200m to top Ironman 3.

Another $100m to top Ironman 1/2

Those are going to be tough. Special for Captain Noonesfavorite. Can't wait to see this movie again though.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
So do we have any thoughts on who the valedictorian from Iowa City is? Amadeus Cho?

And who is the mystery person from Cairo?

J10

Banned
So do we have any thoughts on who the valedictorian from Iowa City is? Amadeus Cho?

And who is the mystery person from Cairo?

Amadeus was a dropout. He wouldn't have been valedictorian. I think the point of Sitwell's list was that Project Insight would be hunting down anybody remotely threatening to HYDRA, not just superheroes or potential superheroes - just having superior intellect or a serious platform to speak out against them would be enough. I don't think those were meant to be clues to anything.

Prologue

watched the movie again today, still great. The first viewing in imax really makes a difference though, especially with that sound system. Those hits really hit hard.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Someone at my 1st screening went "No way!". Some people at my 2nd screening were gasping when he was revealed.

In some ways, I wish I was them. It must be a nice surprise to not know about it until the reveal.

I found Zola much more surprising. Probably because I'm a comic reader. I was surprised they actually had the guts to do video screen Zola.

Winter Soldier I obviously knew before the movie was announced because...well...I read comics. It was still cool to see how they handled it, though.

I found Zola much more surprising. Probably because I'm a comic reader. I was surprised they actually had the guts to do video screen Zola.

Winter Soldier I obviously knew before the movie was announced because...well...I read comics. It was still cool to see how they handled it, though.

This is probably why I loved the Zola reveal so much. For comic readers there wasn't that "OH SHIT" moment with Bucky's reveal. But I genuinely did not see Zola coming, and they worked in his reveal in a way which made total sense in the context of the MCU. It was equal parts shocking, chilling and satisfying.

And while it was a neat twist for movie-only viewers to see "that one evil doctor from the first movie" show up again, it probably had a greater impact on those who knew all along who Zola was and would become.

Ultratech

This is probably why I loved the Zola reveal so much. For comic readers there wasn't that "OH SHIT" moment with Bucky's reveal. But I genuinely did not see Zola coming, and they worked in his reveal in a way which made total sense in the context of the MCU. It was equal parts shocking, chilling and satisfying.

And while it was a neat twist for movie-only viewers to see "that one evil doctor from the first movie" show up again, it probably had a greater impact on those who knew all along who Zola was and would become.

Yup.

Funny thing is that I heard that Zola was in the movie, but I just assumed it was from flashbacks about the Winter Solider.

Then when he started talking on the computer screen, I was kinda like, "Wait a minute...that sounds famil-OH SHIT."

Agreed

The Lamp

Well I ended up seeing this movie and I don't know why everyone I know was hyping it. I thought Avengers and Thor 2 were both better. The movie felt very "safe", even for a marvel iteration. Probably won't be seeing another CA movie. I feel like not much of significance was lost or gained throughout the movie. His character is really uninteresting to me. Then again, I never read the comic books.

Cptkrush

Well I ended up seeing this movie and I don't know why everyone I know was hyping it. I thought Avengers and Thor 2 were both better. The movie felt very "safe", even for a marvel iteration. Probably won't be seeing another CA movie. I feel like not much of significance was lost or gained throughout the movie. His character is really uninteresting to me. Then again, I never read the comic books.

Did we watch the same movie? S.H.I.E.L.D. is no more, this changes everything within the MCU

Showaddy

You didn't actually watch the movie did you?

I can't imagine anyone thinking Thor 2 was better than this either.

Because all of SHIELD being dismantled, Nick Fury going into hiding, and the return of Hydra as a major player are not significant to the chronology of future MCU movies.

...okay.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Pretty much exactly what I mean. :)

The movie's rendition of Zola's goofy fucking comic book character was absolute genius. They ended up making him not just cool in execution, but absolutely chilling. Not an easy feat when the character in question is a dead scientist in a video screen.

The Lamp

You didn't actually watch the movie did you?

I can't imagine anyone thinking Thor 2 was better than this either.

I did.

Okay, so the main antagonist thingy is defeated. Great. That only happens in every movie ever. But none of the main characters were ever at risk. Hell, the way they ended that final fight with you-know-who was such a dumb tease.

Thor 2 had better action scenes (which is the only reason to watch these movies imo anyway) and it had better pacing and better written side-characters imo.

Because all of SHIELD being dismantled, Nick Fury going into hiding, and the return of Hydra as a major player are not significant to the chronology of future MCU movies.

...okay.

I don't read the comics so I wouldn't really know or care about the implications for future plotlines.

Movie-wise, Nick Fury being in hiding isn't even a big deal, probably. I'm guessing he'll probably still be just as involved as ever in future movies, except now they'll have one-liners written for how he's in hiding.

Top Bottom