• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier SPOILER THREAD | ...does anyone want to get out?

Replicant

Interesting seeing the Avengers logo on the suit. Does this mean that The Avengers are now a Stark-financed and organized team?

Well, the suit does have Tony's excess influence all over it. It looks quite expensive, especially compared to Coulson's cheap, fanboyish, cosplay-looking suit.

For me it's probably the second best suit after Commander Rogers suit used at the start of Captain America 2.

Dai101

Banned
Well, the suit does have Tony's excess influence all over it. It looks quite expensive, especially compared to Coulson's cheap, fanboyish, cosplay-looking suit.

For me it's probably the second best suit after Commander Rogers suit used at the start of Captain America 2.

Well, it does have a nice armor like pattern, so probably yes, it's a Stark creation.

Why would you think that from the Avengers logo being there? Nothing related to Stark about that.

C2xkO0x.jpg

Replicant

Why would you think that from the Avengers logo being there? Nothing related to Stark about that.

Probably because Stark was the last person seen openly using the Avengers logo? On his own tower no less. He's pretty much turning his place into an official place for the team so one would assume he'd also take over the financing and organizing of the entire team operation now that SHIELD is running all over the place like a headless chicken.

I always thought that scene at the end of Avengers came a bit out of nowhere. It's like Tony suddenly became fond of the team and dedicated his tower to them. It didn't make sense then because The Avengers initiative was a SHIELD operation and he was anything but fond of SHIELD to say the least. Little did I realized that it could be a set up for the second film now that Captain America 2 has laid waste to SHIELD.

EDIT: Beaten like Batroc the Leaper.

EDIT 2: This is a more convincing image than that leftover A though:

Avengers-Tower-CU.jpg

Have they posted the end credits yet? I love the way they've been doing the Phase 2 credits, but I think they totally nailed it here. Bonus points to the American outline in Bucky's shadow

J10

Banned
There wouldn't be anything epic about a Hulk Vs. Hulkbuster fight. Hulk would tear it in half in two seconds.

late replay but why didnt Hydra give a shit when Malekith was going to wipe everything from existence?
after all your plans dont mean shit if an alien ruins them

late replay but why didnt Hydra give a shit when Malekith was going to wipe everything from existence?
after all your plans dont mean shit if an alien ruins them

How would they have found out about that? Malekith arriving on earth and mixing it up with Thor (in London, if you recall) happened in the span of about 10 minutes.

Prozel

Silly question I know, but does anyone where I can find Cap's black cap he's wearing in his civil clothes.

I know it looks very ordinary but you never know. Any ideas?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I finally saw the movie. I enjoyed it, but honestly, I preferred the first one much more. For one of my side jobs, I was required to watch it literally over 20 times and amazingly enough, I never got tired of it. But with this one, it feels like I wouldn't be able to watch it more than twice. I think part of the reason is that for one thing, it's too long, and the fights, while good, seem to drag on and on. And was I the only one that REALLY fucking hated the idea of Dr. Zola's brain somehow being compiled onto those shitty Apple computers from the 70s? I thought that was remarkably fucking stupid.

I'd say those were my biggest complaints. But I also would like to bitch about the endings. Not the last shot of the movie, but the "secret" endings after the credits. I really didn't like the idea of the scepter being found again. I dunno, I might be speaking for myself when I say that I don't really like the idea of seeing some important item that was a major plot device for a previous movie being used once again. I want to see something new. Also, what the hell do Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch have to do with ANYTHING? Seriously, I'm baffled at that.

And the secret, SECRET final credits scene with Bucky? You made me wait through the entire long ass credit sequence for THAT? Wtf? They should have shown that first and THEN the other scene with the scepter at the very end.

Anyway, some REALLY shitty plot devices aside, it was overall good movie. Probably 7.5/10 for me.

I really wish that would keep annoying-ass Kat Dennings and that crew out of the movie completely. They aren't funny and just grind everything to a halt when they show up.

Kat Dennings should have been Thor's love interest instead of Natalie PortMAN.

what job is that btw? i'd rather be paid shovelling manure than watch the first captain america 20 times.

also it was interesting seeing the transcendence trailer before cap 2 and then getting to that zola scene lol

Soodanim

Saw this on Friday. Been meaning to pop into this thread to see what everyone thinks.

I really liked it. Plenty of funny moments. I enjoyed the action scenes. I liked the level of power Cap had. You didn't really see that in Avengers, which was a shame. But here he wiped the floor with normals and even SHIELD agents. I don't remember if his power was shown in CA1 (I watched it once, and that was a half watch). I love that the MCU is consistent and high ranking Shield guys appear in this and AoS. I love that they mentioned Stephen Strange. Wasn't a big fan of the tape consciousness though.

I liked watching the film with a girl who saw CA1 but doesn't know anything about Marvel. So I got to see her turn to me with a shocked reaction when Bucky's mask came off and when Fury showed up alive. I just gave her the "Yep" smile and nod.

I missed the 2nd extra scene, but I'm sure I can find a description somewhere. Probably in this thread.

Did they reference anyone or anything else other than Strange?

Edit: Thanks Amusix

AMUSIX

I'd say those were my biggest complaints. But I also would like to bitch about the endings. Not the last shot of the movie, but the "secret" endings after the credits. I really didn't like the idea of the scepter being found again. I dunno, I might be speaking for myself when I say that I don't really like the idea of seeing some important item that was a major plot device for a previous movie being used once again. I want to see something new. Also, what the hell do Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch have to do with ANYTHING? Seriously, I'm baffled at that.
You do know that an after credits scene isn't a full movie, right? That is, it serves as a teaser for upcoming story lines (see: Fury showing up at the end of IM1, Thor's Hammer at the end of IM2, the Collector at the end of Thor 2, the Terreract at the end of Thor1, and Stark at the end of Incredible Hulk). As for the scepter, it was not 'found again', the stinger answered the question of "What happened to the scepter after Avengers?" because we clearly saw that Thor and Loki did not have it when they returned to Asgard.

And the secret, SECRET final credits scene with Bucky? You made me wait through the entire long ass credit sequence for THAT? Wtf? They should have shown that first and THEN the other scene with the scepter at the very end.

I so wish Hollywood could go back to having the credits show before the movie. The number of people who can't handle a few minutes of credits after a 2.5 hour movie is just absurd. That stinger is short, it's a quiet, minor scene, but it is character building. If you need it spelled out, in the middle of the film, we find out that WS is Bucky, but doesn't remember anything himself. Then we find out that his memory is being repeatedly wiped. In the final battle, we see him as a weapon, wholly focused on his mission. Even as Cap tries to get through to him, almost nothing gets through until he starts to have a mental break when he's unable to kill Steve. Even after this, it's not clear to him why he's unable to complete his mission, and, we can assume, it's not clear why he saves Steve from drowning.

The scene in the Smithsonian is the continuation of that. We see that he's doing research on Captain America, trying to understand why he was unable to kill him or even let him die. We see him recognize his own face, and seeing the name "Bucky". This is the first step towards him moving to actively trying to piece together who he is, and what happened to him. We see the beginning of the journey of a mindless weapon into his past and discovering who did what to him. We can assume that it'll lead him on to either his birthplace, family, and home, or to those who corrupted him and made him into the weapon that he is, or to discovering what atrocities he has committed. All three options are incredibly dangerous.

So, yeah, it's a small, quiet scene, but there is key character development and foreshadowing in it.

I liked watching the film with a girl who saw CA1 but doesn't know anything about Marvel. So I got to see her turn to me with a shocked reaction when Bucky's mask came off and when Fury showed up alive. I just gave her the "Yep" smile and nod.

I missed the 2nd extra scene, but I'm sure I can find a description somewhere. Probably in this thread.

Did they reference anyone or anything else other than Strange?

Being in theaters and hearing/seeing people's reaction to Bucky's reveal has been awesome. One of my favorite parts of the movie.

I discussed the second stinger above, but, just to clarify, it's just a short moment of Bucky in the Smithsonian Captain America exhibit recognizing himself, and reading about Cap's best friend.

Oblivion

You do know that an after credits scene isn't a full movie, right? That is, it serves as a teaser for upcoming story lines (see: Fury showing up at the end of IM1, Thor's Hammer at the end of IM2, the Collector at the end of Thor 2, the Terreract at the end of Thor1, and Stark at the end of Incredible Hulk). As for the scepter, it was not 'found again', the stinger answered the question of "What happened to the scepter after Avengers?" because we clearly saw that Thor and Loki did not have it when they returned to Asgard.

I'm well aware that scene was supposed to be a teaser for what's supposed to come. I'm wondering what relevance to the twins have to whatever Marvel/Disney has planned down the road since those two are mainly associated with the X-men series. I have issues with certain characters being elevated to important roles.

And I don't care what the reason was for the re-aapparance of the scepter. As I stated, my problem was that we didn't need to see it again. It was already used in the Avengers.

I so wish Hollywood could go back to having the credits show before the movie. The number of people who can't handle a few minutes of credits after a 2.5 hour movie is just absurd. That stinger is short, it's a quiet, minor scene, but it is character building. If you need it spelled out, in the middle of the film, we find out that WS is Bucky, but doesn't remember anything himself. Then we find out that his memory is being repeatedly wiped. In the final battle, we see him as a weapon, wholly focused on his mission. Even as Cap tries to get through to him, almost nothing gets through until he starts to have a mental break when he's unable to kill Steve. Even after this, it's not clear to him why he's unable to complete his mission, and, we can assume, it's not clear why he saves Steve from drowning.

The scene in the Smithsonian is the continuation of that. We see that he's doing research on Captain America, trying to understand why he was unable to kill him or even let him die. We see him recognize his own face, and seeing the name "Bucky". This is the first step towards him moving to actively trying to piece together who he is, and what happened to him. We see the beginning of the journey of a mindless weapon into his past and discovering who did what to him. We can assume that it'll lead him on to either his birthplace, family, and home, or to those who corrupted him and made him into the weapon that he is, or to discovering what atrocities he has committed. All three options are incredibly dangerous.

So, yeah, it's a small, quiet scene, but there is key character development and foreshadowing in it.

I totally understand what they were going for. I wasn't complaining about that. I'm totally fine waiting for the credits to complete, but if it's a super long credits sequence, they need to make the ending a lot more worthwhile. Like I said, if they reversed it, and showed that scene before the one with the scepter/twins then it wouldn't be a big problem.

Sorian

Banned
I'm well aware that scene was supposed to be a teaser for what's supposed to come. I'm wondering what relevance to the twins have to whatever Marvel/Disney has planned down the road since those two are mainly associated with the X-men series. I have issues with certain characters being elevated to important roles.

Uh, I would say those two are more associated with the avengers. Like yeah, the elephant in the room is that they are mutants (miracles lol) but they are a big part of the avengers team.

Sorian

Banned
Since when?

Since forever ago? They've been in and out of the avengers since almost the beginning. That's why marvel still has rights to the characters. Marvel and Sony(Fox? I forget who has X-men) had to agree that both could use the characters because they are mutants that also happened to have strong ties to the avengers.

Edit: Quick search says they joined up at the same time Hawkeye did back in the lates 60's.

Dai101

Banned
Since forever ago? They've been in and out of the avengers since almost the beginning. That's why marvel still has rights to the characters. Marvel and Sony(Fox? I forget who has X-men) had to agree that both could use the characters because they are mutants that also happened to have strong ties to the avengers.

FAWX

Oblivion

Edit: Quick search says they joined up at the same time Hawkeye did back in the lates 60's.

I...see.

Well, then. Let that be a lesson to you.

Top Bottom