• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Avengers: Civil War starts shooting - Cast and synopsis confirmed

If they fucking Ultimate Universe
Hawkeye's kids and family
I'm probably going to be done with the MCU. That's just so much unnecessary garbage baggage and frankly I was dreading it
happening in Avengers 2
. They need to break further away from the mold of the Ultimate Universe, not use its worst parts. I don't believe this rumor, but that part would seriously make me consider quitting Marvel movies.
Fridging civilian family members is some lame, 2002 shit.

Remember Dan Didio abusing the shit out of Green Arrow/Arsenal's families during that ridiculous Robinson Justice-League series?

Yeah... same level of vile, and character assassination... right down to the fake "justice" murder finish.

I doubt this leak 100% as a result, since industry-wide, that treatment of Arsenal/Green Arrow was known to be received with such vitriol by fans. I can't see Marvel/Disney going the route of a plot that got their rival company bags of literal hate-mail.

Blader

There was a leaked script posted on 4chan that got deleted? Some guy on Reddit claimed to have read it before it got deleted and this is a summary. It's probably fake, but for those interested...

Spoilers obviously:

Only skimmed the first couple lines but this already seems wrong.

We know from the press release that the inciting event for registration is some international incident involving the Avengers.
How exactly does Crossbones killing Hawkeye's family constitute either an international incident or a smoking gun for registration?

Unless I'm misreading something, that doesn't really make sense as a trigger for the whole thing and contradicts what Marvel themselves have said.

Only skimmed the first couple lines but this already seems wrong.

We know from the press release that the inciting event for registration is some international incident involving the Avengers.
How exactly does Crossbones killing Hawkeye's family constitute either an international incident or a smoking gun for registration?

Unless I'm misreading something, that doesn't really make sense as a trigger for the whole thing and contradicts what Marvel themselves have said.

Leak rumors

In the leak, Crossbones sets up the winter soldier and he gets blamed for a huge civilian incident. Stark wants him gone because of this and his father and Cap obviously sides with Bucky. They don't even find out about Zemo, Hydra, crossbones till Hawkeye escapes

So, for the
Hawkeye's family
thing:
is it just the kids who are alive or is it all of them
?

Barton hides the kidsin a panic room, Crossbones tells him he found em, fury later tells Hawkeye he rescued them

So it's been a day and there's still nothing on the internet about this.

So you can take this with a grain of salt since I'm just some guy on the internet but I've heard from my buddy who told me about Hawkeye's situation in Age of Ultron months prior to the movie coming out that two people have been cast as of this morning to big roles for upcoming Marvel stuff:

Emily Blunt has signed on as Captain Marvel.
Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones/Hunger Games) has signed on as Enchantress in Thor 3

Anyone buy it?

Slayven

I'm probably going to be done with the MCU. That's just so much unnecessary garbage baggage and frankly I was dreading it
happening in Avengers 2
. They need to break further away from the mold of the Ultimate Universe, not use its worst parts. I don't believe this rumor, but that part would seriously make me consider quitting Marvel movies.
UU was all about pettiness, they are not going to do that.

Timu

dKruho6.jpg

Now we just gotta find out who's playing Spidey.
Avengers 2.5?

It's crazy how much Winter Soldier turned Cap from (in my eyes, you understand) a joke character to one of my favorite Marvel heroes in one movie.

I'm almost as excited to see him kicking ass as I am Spider-Man, and that's something I never would have said like a year ago.

happening in Avengers 2
I'll be really annoyed about it as well, it's so cheap. I don't even understand what it'd achieve.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Remember Dan Didio abusing the shit out of Green Arrow/Arsenal's families during that ridiculous Robinson Justice-League series?

Yeah... same level of vile, and character assassination... right down to the fake "justice" murder finish.

I doubt this leak 100% as a result, since industry-wide, that treatment of Arsenal/Green Arrow was known to be received with such vitriol by fans. I can't see Marvel/Disney going the route of a plot that got their rival company bags of literal hate-mail.

4chan has had a pretty dismal track record when it comes to MCU spoilers, so yeah, I'm not buying it.

Calamari41

41 > 38
This would be like if someone alleged to have a leaked copy of the Age of Ultron script and failed to mention that Vision was in the movie.

guek

Banned
Mostly, it boiled down to Marvel wanting drastic changes at the last second. Right before shooting, even though its meant to be the best script Marvel has ever had.

Marvel rewrote it, and it was terrible. Marvels biggest concern was, they didn't want Antman to be a rogue, they didn't want him to be a reformed thief.

Well, after Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel calmed down, and realised its ok to make the lead a rogue, so they've actually gone back to what Wright was doing, Antman needed reshoots to make it more like Wrights original vision, because what they made apparently wasn't fully working.

Just a case of Marvel being fucking idiots, and Wright being too good for them.
Unless you have hard sources for this, you're just spouting fanfiction

XAL

Avengers 2.5?

Yep.

People also considered Winter Soldier an Avengers 1.5 because it was considered a team film/Shield film (Nat+Falcon+Fury+Hill+Carter).

So you can take this with a grain of salt since I'm just some guy on the internet but I've heard from my buddy who told me about Hawkeye's situation in Age of Ultron months prior to the movie coming out that two people have been cast as of this morning to big roles for upcoming Marvel stuff:

Emily Blunt has signed on as Captain Marvel.
Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones/Hunger Games) has signed on as Enchantress in Thor 3

I hope so.

EB would be perfect in that role. No better choice.

ND better have glorious side boob in that movie. It would be criminal not to.

Can we split this movie in 2 films no way in hell can you stuff all that content in 2 hours & 20 minutes

Captain America Civil War then Iron Man Civil War

that or a 3 hour Movie

Blader

I think calling this "Avengers 2.5" is setting yourself up for disappointment. By all accounts, it's mainly a Captain America story/Winter Soldier sequel, not an Avengers movie.

My guess is the WS heroes + Iron Man and Panther will be the main guys, but the other Avengers will be pretty minor roles.

duckroll

I think calling this "Avengers 2.5" is setting yourself up for disappointment. By all accounts, it's mainly a Captain America story/Winter Soldier sequel, not an Avengers movie.

My guess is the WS heroes + Iron Man and Panther will be the main guys, but the other Avengers will be pretty minor roles.

I have a feeling that the majority of the "Avengers" vibe will be invoked in the opening sequences of the film. They'll probably want to do something like the ship mission in TWS, but with Captain America leading the New Avengers instead. One biggish set piece to set up Registration Act, then more politics and espionage stuff for the rest of the film, along with a Captain America vs Iron Man fight at some point.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hawkeye isn't even really part of the story, but that he'll be part of a montage when they're bagging and tagging all the known heroes around the world, and they come looking for him where his family is, and he escapes or gets taken in, and that's it.

dramatis

I wouldn't be surprised if Hawkeye isn't even really part of the story, but that he'll be part of a montage when they're bagging and tagging all the known heroes around the world, and they come looking for him where his family is, and he escapes or gets taken in, and that's it.
I think that's kind of wasteful though, when they could cover something like that using a computer screen list or some lines of dialogue. Not only wasteful of screentime, but also of the resources they'll have to use to shoot that tiny bit and the chunk of change they'd have to shell out for Hawkeye to appear for a minute or something.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I have a feeling that the majority of the "Avengers" vibe will be invoked in the opening sequences of the film. They'll probably want to do something like the ship mission in TWS, but with Captain America leading the New Avengers instead. One biggish set piece to set up Registration Act, then more politics and espionage stuff for the rest of the film, along with a Captain America vs Iron Man fight at some point.

Thats what I expect, too.

FeD.nL

I can't seen any way this is gonna be as much a cap film as the first two. I mean introducing Black Panther, having Tony there, introducing Spider-Man just those 3 things are gonna take away a lot of screentime from Cap. But then again Hydra is there, Bucky is, Falcon probably has a bigger role so those elements give it the Cap feel. Still think it's going to be more of an event film like the Avengers as opposed to a Cap film like the previous two. Not necessarily an Avengers film but very much at the scope of those films.

duckroll

I don't expect them to "introduce" Spider-man in Civil War at all. People seem to expect some level of actual involvement in the story because of how the comics went, but I think at best this will be a sort of teaser cameo. There really isn't much to introduce this is a big film about adults dealing with adult problems and he's a high school student. They're also not going to risk mucking up the production by having any significant part of the film hang in the balance of a character who isn't even cast yet.

With the amount of characters if this movie suffers due to shortening the time and just jam packing action into that shortened time, I am done with Marvel movies.

Civil War seems like the perfect movie for character development. I don't need another 2 hours of action with 20 mins of character interaction.

FeD.nL

I don't expect them to "introduce" Spider-man in Civil War at all. People seem to expect some level of actual involvement in the story because of how the comics went, but I think at best this will be a sort of teaser cameo. There really isn't much to introduce this is a big film about adults dealing with adult problems and he's a high school student. They're also not going to risk mucking up the production by having any significant part of the film hang in the balance of a character who isn't even cast yet.

Hmm, I don't think it'll be just a teaser cameo. There is too much riding on this deal, first sentence from the announcement is that Spider-Man will appear first in an Upcoming Marvel film within Marvel's Cinematic Universe. Then there are the remarks from Feige saying they had planned for the MCU moving forward with or without Spidey, couple that with them moving the release dates of their other films to make room for a Sony produced Spider-Man main film there is a lot riding on this deal and it has to show some results immediately for the higher ups to be satisfied. I think at the very least spidey will participate in the film's finale and possibly more.

I don't expect them to "introduce" Spider-man in Civil War at all. People seem to expect some level of actual involvement in the story because of how the comics went, but I think at best this will be a sort of teaser cameo.

I dunno. If I remember correctly, there was a pre-existing version of this script with Spidey in the Black Panther role. And then they decided to put T'Challa in the film once the initial Spidey negotiations failed. And then there was word that the script had to be rewritten to re-incorporate Spidey without diminishing Black Panther's role too much.

To me, that reads less as "cameo" (which wouldn't necessitate a full on rewrite, I don't think" and more like a smaller supporting role. I'm thinking, to use Ultron as a comparison point, Black Panther would be a Scarlet Witch sized role, and Spidey would be Rhodey sized. Not small enough to be a cameo, large enough to have 2 or so decent moments but not eating up too much time.

Blader

Was there supposed to be hype for Strucker? I always figured he'd be like a Blofeld-type bad guy disposed of in the opening HYDRA sequence.

And not volcano lair evil mastermind Strucker. But gets-dropped-in-a-smokestack-in-the-first-5-minutes Blofeld.

duckroll

And we didn't even get that. He wasn't disposed of nor did he even have a single scene with any of the Avengers. He appeared in one scene acting panicked and is never seen in the entire movie again. I don't even think we got to see him actually being captured. Lol. I'm going to be salty about this for years!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
And we didn't even get that. He wasn't disposed of nor did he even have a single scene with any of the Avengers. He appeared in one scene acting panicked and is never seen in the entire movie again. I don't even think we got to see him actually being captured. Lol. I'm going to be salty about this for years!
He has a run in with Cap and gets his ass handed to him from said Avenger.

Jarmel

Banned

But why would they bother with a guy who only shoots arrows? Dude's practially harmless on a macro level.

Top Bottom