• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Avengers: Civil War starts shooting - Cast and synopsis confirmed

Asami208

Banned
The Civil War comic sucks, who cares about doing it justice? They should just be concerned with doing it better.

It's called Captain America: Civil War because it's written predominantly as Cap's story. Other Avengers being in it doesn't make it an Avengers story, they just fill out the supporting cast, much like SHIELD fills out the supporting cast in Winter Soldier.

Which is not a great way to go. A premise like CW SHOULD NOT be primarily one heroes story. Especially if said hero is leading one side. Gee, I wonder who's side Marvel is going to come down on. The only way to make it work is if both Cap and Tony get EQUAL focus, in order to develop BOTH of their positions. Otherwise, it's pointless to even use Iron Man, any actual Cap antagonist could fill the same function.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

I had to YouTube this because I'd never seen it. It's fucking killing me.

How the hell did Ruffalo even get such a high-profile role? I had never heard of him at the time of his casting announcement and I looked over his filmography and I don't remember him in anything.

Shutter Island.

TDLink

Which is not a great way to go. A premise like CW SHOULD NOT be primarily one heroes story. Especially if said hero is leading one side. Gee, I wonder who's side Marvel is going to come down on. The only way to make it work is if both Cap and Tony get EQUAL focus, in order to develop BOTH of their positions. Otherwise, it's pointless to even use Iron Man, any actual Cap antagonist could fill the same function.

That may be true but I honestly don't care. Winter Soldier was awesome and I am excited if this is Winter Soldier part 2. Tony has had more films to develop in than Cap and we've pretty much mined his character now. I'm excited that the movie is Cap focused and that he is the protagonist. We all know Tony won't be the ultimate villain anyways. Whatever quarrel Tony has with Cap, it's just going to be something to further Cap's character. And that's good. An actual fight between them shouldn't be some sort of suspenseful thing that keeps us guessing. Cap has always been the moral good ol' boy from the 40s while Tony Stark is a dick who has indulged in all vices imaginable. It's not hard to see who veers more towards good and more towards less good if it comes down to it.

duckroll

None of that is true though. Civil War was never ever written as a "both sides" story. The Registration Act was never ever treated as a "both sides" issue. It was always clear from the very start that Stark was wrong and Rogers was right. All the characters in the universe also agreed. Stark, Pym, and Richards were all "we don't like this, but we feel we have to do this, even though Rogers isn't the bad guy" and so on. It was clear they were so obsessed with the letter of the law they lost perspective.

In fact, the reason why many people dislike Civil War is that it always PRETENDED to be a "both sides" story, but never was. By throwing away all the pretense, the movie should be stronger for it.

Szu

f1e44ad6632aa2b508b8fb956263ee44.jpg

Wait a sec, Pikachu is a Electric-type. How the hell is he drinking water? Wouldn't his current get displaced across the water?

Neoxon

Wait a sec, Pikachu is a Electric-type. How the hell is he drinking water? Wouldn't his current get displaced across the water?
All living things need to drink water. By your logic, all Fire-types can't drink water, either.

None of that is true though. Civil War was never ever written as a "both sides" story. The Registration Act was never ever treated as a "both sides" issue. It was always clear from the very start that Stark was wrong and Rogers was right. All the characters in the universe also agreed. Stark, Pym, and Richards were all "we don't like this, but we feel we have to do this, even though Rogers isn't the bad guy" and so on. It was clear they were so obsessed with the letter of the law they lost perspective.

In fact, the reason why many people dislike Civil War is that it always PRETENDED to be a "both sides" story, but never was. By throwing away all the pretense, the movie should be stronger for it.

It was a both sides issue in that time of post-911 Bush America.

That's what Civil War is about. People giving up freedom for security.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So...i don't know anything about anything guys, but...what ever happend to Red Skull? He obviously has to come back right?

So...i don't know anything about anything guys, but...what ever happend to Red Skull? He obviously has to come back right?

There's a theory that so far 4 big bads are actually trapped inside the gems Red Skull, Dark Elf whatshisname, Ronan, and now Ultron, and that maybe they get released when Thanos gains control of them.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

I had to YouTube this because I'd never seen it. It's fucking killing me.

How the hell did Ruffalo even get such a high-profile role? I had never heard of him at the time of his casting announcement and I looked over his filmography and I don't remember him in anything.

13 going on 30. amazing.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
There's a theory that so far 4 big bads are actually trapped inside the gems Red Skull, Dark Elf whatshisname, Ronan, and now Ultron, and that maybe they get released when Thanos gains control of them.

Yeah, I read that and it makes sense -- especially if these same actors signed multi-picture deals.

I can see it now: Red Skull gets released to battle Cap, Ultron vs. Iron Man, Dark Elf vs. Thor, Ronan against the Guardians, etc. Would make sense instead of just piling on grunts against the entire MCU heroes cast.

Would be awesome to see the Infinity War in the flesh!

On another note: Anyone think there's any truth to the murmurs that Cap will die in CW? I can't see Marvel doing it since that would mean either a recast (highly unlikely) or they'd be doing that annoying comic book thing where they make a grand spectacle of a hero dying, but bring him back in some inane way. Yeesh!

hamchan

Yeah, I read that and it makes sense -- especially if these same actors signed multi-picture deals.

I can see it now: Red Skull gets released to battle Cap, Ultron vs. Iron Man, Dark Elf vs. Thor, Ronan against the Guardians, etc. Would make sense instead of just piling on grunts against the entire MCU heroes cast.

Would be awesome to see the Infinity War in the flesh!

On another note: Anyone think there's any truth to the murmurs that Cap will die in CW? I can't see Marvel doing it since that would mean either a recast (highly unlikely) or they'd be doing that annoying comic book thing where they make a grand spectacle of a hero dying, but bring him back in some inane way. Yeesh!

Yes I see some truth in it. Chris Evans only has two movies left in his contract, including this one. He has gone on record stating that he wants to go into directing after all this and take a break from acting. So he can totally die in this movie and pass the Cap title onto Bucky. Then he can be temporarily revived in Avengers 3 part 2 to help them fight Thanos.

This sounds awesome. So it's basically Avengers without Thor and Hulk? Makes sense I guess as they're too powerful to be punching over superheroes anyway. Glad to see more of the newer characters in the mix like Black Panther, Ant-Man and Winter Soldier. This is gonna be awesome. Team Cap!

Doubt they would actually kill him off though, not with the whole hammer foreshadowing in Avengers 2 and Thanos coming up. Though at the same time that goes along with what I dislike about the films, everyone is too safe.

If they do kill him off they'll definitely bring him back in Infinity War; probably using the power of the Infinity Stones or something.

Why not use hulk attacking the city and tony creating Ultron as the reasons for the government to regulate superheros. No need to waste time setting up a new incident

Trouble is, Tony can't be so in favour of the policy if that's the case because he was at the centre of both of those occurrences. It needs to be a new incident which he is not involved in, so he can take a stance against it as an outsider. Or at least, I think it'll work better that way. Plus, if they set up a new incident, they can have a new group of superheroes be responsible and use it as a way to expand the cast a little.

Trouble is, Tony can't be so in favour of the policy if that's the case because he was at the centre of both of those occurrences. It needs to be a new incident which he is not involved in, so he can take a stance against it as an outsider. Or at least, I think it'll work better that way. Plus, if they set up a new incident, they can have a new group of superheroes be responsible and use it as a way to expand the cast a little.

Sure he could. All he'd have to do is throw Banner under the bus and say that he was responsible for both, since that's a plausible lie that pretty much anyone would buy.

Whether he'd do that, of course, is debatable.

Let's kill captain america and in the post credit scene we see cap wakes up and meet Death (played by Olivia Wilde). Let's get that jealous Thanos subplot going. Hahaha

Joni

I kinda wonder why we actually have to be against registration. I'd like a world where all WMDs are known quantities. These aren't people, they're walking nukes.

Johndoey

Banned

To be fair they basically gave up the pretense after Spiderman swicthed sides.

V_Arnold

Is Senator Kelly supposed to be in the wrong?

Yes.
Remember, this is the same america where everyone can just get hold of a gun and decide to end your life on a whim. It is unfair to limit fear to those with powers.

What if your teacher one day kills your kid? What if police decides to do the same to you based on your appearence, without just cause?

These kind of fear-driven rhetorics can be applied to anything. Hell, bus drivers are the heralds of death itself, if following this logic.

Joni

Remember, this is the same america where everyone can just get hold of a gun and decide to end your life on a whim. It is unfair to limit fear to those with powers.
Most countries in the world have found it interesting to actually register people who own guns. I can think of a couple of registers that exist right now in the world:

- People. There are a lot of countries with mandatory identification cards, often using a central database.
- Guns and their owners. Again to track people that own a dangerous weapon.
- Former criminal offenders, which would encompass most of the heroes based on their bodycount.
- Owners of dangerous dog breeds.

These are things that we have now. Some countries even have laws against running around with your face hidden to block identification. Living in this same world, I don't see a superhuman registration act as outrageous. The books and the movies based on it, have made it seem outrageous because they're opposed to it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yes I see some truth in it. Chris Evans only has two movies left in his contract, including this one. He has gone on record stating that he wants to go into directing after all this and take a break from acting. So he can totally die in this movie and pass the Cap title onto Bucky. Then he can be temporarily revived in Avengers 3 part 2 to help them fight Thanos.

Or they can kill him in infinity war part one and have bucky succeed him in part two. I don't see whats the point of killing him and reviving him

number11

After all the amount of fake deaths in the MCU, surely they're not gonna repeat the same trick. Cap is an easy character to deal with.. Kill him off in Infinity War, then get Winter Soldier to replace him.

Jarmel

Banned
Yes.

What if your teacher one day kills your kid? What if police decides to do the same to you based on your appearence, without just cause?

These kind of fear-driven rhetorics can be applied to anything. Hell, bus drivers are the heralds of death itself, if following this logic.

Come on. The level of damage Thor or Stark can do is so far past what a person with an Ak-47 can do.

raphier

Banned
I think they should've given Winter Soldier a separate movie. I mean They have Avengers, Civil War and Winter Soldier subplot going on at the same time. It's a setup for another A2 kind of mismanagement.

I can see them "killing" Cap

Winter Soldier is there to pick up for Avengers Infinity War 1. Then bring back Steve Rogers for Part 2

Top Bottom