• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Avengers: Civil War starts shooting - Cast and synopsis confirmed

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
You think you can fool me?! I'm on mobile, I see thumbnails. I see everything.

rLoXOgf.gif

God damn it.

anaron

Coulson being alive is also a great way to breed distrust in Civil War, so it works.
I was thinking about this too. it's such a perfect reveal they need it to be in CW

as for the whedon bucky/Coulson thing, people are taking those comments so extremely. he said he didn't want knowledge of Coulson to be back alive for the avengers films, that's it.

guek

Banned
Whedon had his time, glad to see we are done with that. If Avengers 2 was him perfecting the first one, I definitely don't want a 3rd.

Honestly, I get the impression he was much more constrained and micro-managed with AoU than the first. A damn shame since I think AoU would have been worlds better if he had just been allowed to run free.

The Civil War comic sucks, who cares about doing it justice? They should just be concerned with doing it better.
first off, that's subjective and second, if it really sucked and that was the consensus, I doubt they would decide to adapt it.

It's called Captain America: Civil War because it's written predominantly as Cap's story. Other Avengers being in it doesn't make it an Avengers story, they just fill out the supporting cast, much like SHIELD fills out the supporting cast in Winter Soldier.
we don't know much about the film other than the fact that it is named after a major story in the comics with iron man, captain america, and spiderman as the main characters. it wasn't just a captain america story, it was a crossover story.
That Forbes article is stupid because it's always been talked about as a Cap-centric story with appearances from various other MCU characters.
well, not everyone that article was stupid. and i know how this has always been talked about as a cap centric story, but with that, one has to wonder why there is so much stipulation with downey's involvement with the film.

The unwarranted assumption that just because they are appearing they will take part in some sort of earthspanning Avengers-esque war is what's clouding people's opinions. And there's not much to do when people are jumping to conclusions that every role is a major one despite reiterating what it is going to be like.
again, this is a double edged sword. if they aren't going to have major roles, then it seems like the adaptation won't give the source material justice, because they are supposed to be major players here.

in fact, several years ago before av2 was announced to be age of ultron, there were rumors that av2 was going to be thanos and that av3 was going to be the civil war.

TDLink

Is it safe to say that the first teaser will come with Star Wars? Or wa something already announced?

There will definitely be something attached to Star Wars but the first teaser will likely come a bit sooner than that. Probably some time in November if we are gauging by how they have handled their past May releases.

Broken Joystick

So some minor speculation/rumour here about these set photos we're seeing:
Apparently this is Nigeria and Crossbones shows up to fuck up Caps day, the New Avengers do their stuff but loads of innocent bystanders die in the process, seemingly setting up government registration and all that with Stark on one side, Cap the other. But if that's true then it's a bit strange that it's taken so long for government to react after Hulk broke harlem and probably killed a few people in South Africa, and New York.

duckroll

Apparently this is Nigeria and Crossbones shows up to fuck up Caps day, the New Avengers do their stuff but loads of innocent bystanders die in the process, seemingly setting up government registration and all that with Stark on one side, Cap the other. But if that's true then it's a bit strange that it's taken so long for government to react after Hulk broke harlem and probably killed a few people in South Africa, and New York.

The speculation is right from the story blurb in the OP though...

"After another international incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability and a governing body to determine when to enlist the services of the team."

Pachimari

first off, that's subjective and second, if it really sucked and that was the consensus, I doubt they would decide to adapt it.

we don't know much about the film other than the fact that it is named after a major story in the comics with iron man, captain america, and spiderman as the main characters. it wasn't just a captain america story, it was a crossover story.
well, not everyone that article was stupid. and i know how this has always been talked about as a cap centric story, but with that, one has to wonder why there is so much stipulation with downey's involvement with the film.

again, this is a double edged sword. if they aren't going to have major roles, then it seems like the adaptation won't give the source material justice, because they are supposed to be major players here.

in fact, several years ago before av2 was announced to be age of ultron, there were rumors that av2 was going to be thanos and that av3 was going to be the civil war.

Who says it's adapting the comic in the first place? They are adapting the name and the registration part.

This is very much gonna be a Captain America story, hence the "Captain America: Civil War" title. And who said Spidey is gonna be a main character? He's probably a cameo, seeing that they aren't shooting his scenes until June/July.

danielcw

Fun Fact: Joss Whedon wasn't a big fan of the Russos reviving Bucky for Winter Soldier (same applies to the comics).

source?

EDIT: did not realize, that the thread had already moved 2 pages, when I posted this.
Now I have seen Neoxon's reply in the meantime.

DeathyBoy

Banned
There were enough characters in Ultron without adding another one. Hopfully he'll be given a good deal of screen time in Civil War.

You don't need to include Bucky. Just have a second, brief scene where Thor tells Cap that his 'friend' eludes Heimdall's gaze. Presto. Shows Cap trusts Thor, shows Bucky is in deep cover, and sets up that people are looking for him and it's not a case of 'meh, we'll deal with this guy later.'

jmood88

Hey guys, not everything is a spoiler.

Blader

There's a kernel of a good story there. The actual execution, imo, in the comics was pretty poor, the concept is interesting. That this movie is a very loose adaptation I think points to the same thought process on Marvel's end: there's at least a kernel of a good story in Civil War worth telling in the movies.

We know from at least Feige, Downey, and Mackie that's a predominantly Captain America story, and they've downplayed the comments about it being an Avengers 2.5. Civil War is no more an Avengers movie than Winter Soldier was a SHIELD movie -- they may fill out the supporting cast and help add layers to the story, but it's still mainly Cap who's driving this thing.

Those "rumors" were just fans making shit up about what they'd want to see in future movies, like the rumors of Guardians 2 being Planet Hulk or whatever else. Avengers 2 was always going to be Ultron -- it was something Whedon had pitched when he got the gig for the first Avengers movie -- and frankly, the idea of jumping all the way up to Thanos in Avengers 2, and then scaling it way back down to Civil War for 3 never sense to me anyway.

Broken Joystick

The speculation is right from the story blurb in the OP though...

"After another international incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability and a governing body to determine when to enlist the services of the team."

I was spoilering more where it takes place and what's happening in case anyone wonders in accidentally/doesn't want to know. Even though they'd see the pictures...I don't know, some people are sensitive in regards to spoilers, I'm just try to be fair :)

Hey guys, not everything is a spoiler.

Better safe than sorry :p

NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING

Q9RJxrd.png

2 layers and trousers? dude must be sweating.

duckroll

I was spoilering more where it takes place and what's happening in case anyone wonders in accidentally/doesn't want to know. Even though they'd see the pictures...I don't know, some people are sensitive in regards to spoilers, I'm just try to be fair

I wasn't talking about spoilers, I'm just saying that the Avengers being involved in an international incident which sparks off the registration act is pretty much confirmed. It's not speculation. As to why the Hulk wrecking a busy South African city district isn't enough, it's probably because even though all the films are connected, the individual filmmakers want their own movies to somewhat stand alone for the main narrative. So while a number of incidents led up to the world governments says "enough is enough", the final straw has to be in the Civil War movie itself so audience can have a better understanding of the context.

Garlador

Where is this from exactly? Cause when I was reading the Post-Annihilation stuff Nova is contacted by Tony about joining his cause and Richard was all "thank you sir I'll think about it" etc. I was waiting for this epic verbal smackdown to happen but it never came.

This is from Nova's solo series after Annihilation. I'm not sure how you missed it. It's not a What If story either.

Iron Man tries to recruit Nova, Nova says he'll think about it, but ultimately he thinks the whole Civil War thing was insane (especially after seeing his old best friend Bobby as "Penance") and he says "screw it" and flies off back into space.

But that "verbal smackdown"? Oh, he gave Tony a GREAT one.
novaknowhere2.jpg

It's such a shame Gunn has no interest in any additional Earth heroes, and Marvel keeps trying to make us forget Richard was every such a great hero.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I wasn't talking about spoilers, I'm just saying that the Avengers being involved in an international incident which sparks off the registration act is pretty much confirmed. It's not speculation. As to why the Hulk wrecking a busy South African city district isn't enough, it's probably because even though all the films are connected, the individual filmmakers want their own movies to somewhat stand alone for the main narrative. So while a number of incidents led up to the world governments says "enough is enough", the final straw has to be in the Civil War movie itself so audience can have a better understanding of the context.

It could be that Ross is brought into be involved with the Avengers as a result of Hulk's rampage in South Africa.

Broken Joystick

Valid points. Plus this picks up right where Ultron left off so your point about the government being "alright, enough is enough" make sense. There's only so many countries they can destroy before someone snaps.

It could be that Ross is brought into be involved with the Avengers as a result of Hulk's rampage in South Africa.

I was thinking something similar but isn't he supposed to be in Ant-Man? I imagine we'll learn more there first.

duckroll

I was thinking something similar but isn't he supposed to be in Ant-Man? I imagine we'll learn more there first.

Is he? I think I've lost track of who's going to be in what anymore. Either way, they did mention before that Ant-Man would have some hooks into Civil War, so we'll see.

You don't need to include Bucky. Just have a second, brief scene where Thor tells Cap that his 'friend' eludes Heimdall's gaze. Presto. Shows Cap trusts Thor, shows Bucky is in deep cover, and sets up that people are looking for him and it's not a case of 'meh, we'll deal with this guy later.'

Maybe Heimdall could mark it on a map. Maybe he knows the apartment address, maybe even the buzzer number.

guek

Banned

That would have been incredibly dumb considering it poses more questions than it answers

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Dealing with a earth conquering a.i. was maybe a little bit more important in that moment.

And nothing makes Bucky so important that there is any need for a mention ( beside that fans want to shorhorn him because the russos are so magical film makers)

DeathyBoy

Banned
Maybe Heimdall could mark it on a map. Maybe he knows the apartment address, maybe even the buzzer number.

Dude was creeping on Jane from Asgard on Thor's request, and knew she was looking for Thor. I think it's fair to say he'd be able to approximate an idea of where Bucky was.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Dude was creeping on Jane from Asgard on Thor's request, and knew she was looking for Thor. I think it's fair to say he'd be able to approximate an idea of where Bucky was.
Maybe he is able but there is not a single need for the movie that Heimdall looks for Bucky.

Top Bottom