• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Avengers: Civil War starts shooting - Cast and synopsis confirmed

Quick

Banned
One could make the same argument for Sam Wilson as Cap, but Bucky as Cap is much more established. Falcon only had a brief stint as Cap back in the day & a recent run as Cap.

Absolutely. But there really hasn't been any references or foreshadowing at all for Sam to be the next Captain America.
If anything, partnering up with Cap at the end of The Winter Soldier is some foreshadowing on a possible role with The Avengers, which does eventually happen when he joins the new Avengers.
(Does this still need to be spoilered? Marvel already revealed an official photo of this)

Neoxon

It's isn't just that they're friends it's that Steve trusts him, they've run multiple ops together at this point, and Wilson is a soldier and an Avenger on top of it.

Bucky is some dude who was supposedly dead and came back as an assassin. You think Fury is gonna let him suddenly becoming a high ranking SHIELD official because, what, Cap is confident he's still a good man deep down? It wouldn't make any sense, especially when Wilson is in view already.
Good thing SHIELD is still recovering from Winter Soldier with Coulson in charge. And of course, there's the fact that the two were best friends in the past (even though Bucky's memory is currently spotty at best). That & the fact that him as Cap is the most established version other than Steve himself, Bucky taking up the shield is a safer bet than Sam being Steve's successor.

Because of color... or hair loss?

Definitely hair loss, he even openly talked about it a few years back. Great to see someone honest about it and not faking an injury and going in hiding for weeks at a time (Lebrn James for any basketball fans) and coming back magically with more hair and coincidentally start playing without a headband.

Quick

Banned
It's isn't just that they're friends it's that Steve trusts him, they've run multiple ops together at this point, and Wilson is a soldier and an Avenger on top of it.

Bucky is some dude who was supposedly dead and came back as an assassin. You think Fury is gonna let him suddenly becoming a high ranking SHIELD official because, what, Cap is confident he's still a good man deep down? It wouldn't make any sense, especially when Wilson is in view already.

This is actually also a fair point.

There's a glimmer of hope that Bucky's at least remembering everything again and losing the brainwashing, via the post-credits scene at the end of The Winter Soldier.

Squire

Banned
Good thing SHIELD is still recovering from Winter Soldier with Coulson in charge. And of course, there's the fact that the two were best friends in the past (even though Bucky's memory is currently spotty at best). That & the fact that him as Cap is the most established version other than Steve himself, Bucky taking up the shield is a safer bet than Sam being Steve's successor.

If we're gonna cite comics, I think you could just as easily argue they're more likely to go with the recent past and make Falcon the new Cap as that's who younger audiences are more likely to know.

This is actually also a fair point.

There's a glimmer of hope that Bucky's at least remembering everything again and losing the brainwashing, via the post-credits scene at the end of The Winter Soldier.

I think the character work they need to do to make BuckyCap a sensible plot move could happen in CW and another film, but as it stands? The work has not been done, the decision would make no sense, and I really don't think there's even a case for it past "but he did it in the comics for a while."

Not

Banned
11165152_639534686146343_6372261655909919764_o.jpg

oh shiiiiiiiit is that taskmaster?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
If we're gonna cite comics, I think you could just as easily argue they're more likely to go with the recent past and make Falcon the new Cap as that's who younger audiences are more likely to know.

Its very unlikely that
Jane Foster
will become Thor in the movies... So this doent have to mean anything.

So its almost like back then when Bucky became Captain America in the Comics?

oh shiiiiiiiit is that taskmaster?
I wish. That's Crossbones.

MCU should use Taskmaster at some point, though. Although I'm a bit hesitant with that. On the one hand, I love him and want to see him in the MCU. On the other, I'd hate to see Marvel mess up the same way they mess up with every villain.

Slayven

People actually think Falcap would be a thing in the movies when they just now doing him well in the comics? lets not forget the majority of Sam's tenure as Cap has him threatening to kill people left and right, and getting the feathers beaten off of him by an old man in a 20 year old suit of armor.

And Bucky Cap has more meat on the dramatic bone. I mean there is no one alive that knows Cap better, and that got to play with your mind trying to live up to that.

Who says it's adapting the comic in the first place? They are adapting the name and the registration part.

This is very much gonna be a Captain America story, hence the "Captain America: Civil War" title. And who said Spidey is gonna be a main character? He's probably a cameo, seeing that they aren't shooting his scenes until June/July.
the subtitle is civil war. although the shra premise may or may not be there, that is the story they're most likely adapting. and in the comics, this was a major crossover story, not just a cap story. so making it a cap film isn't doing it justice but who knows - the film may turn out to be great.

There's a kernel of a good story there. The actual execution, imo, in the comics was pretty poor, the concept is interesting. That this movie is a very loose adaptation I think points to the same thought process on Marvel's end: there's at least a kernel of a good story in Civil War worth telling in the movies.
i'm not arguing with that, i'm just saying it didn't have to be titled 'captain america'. it could've been avengers: civil war (which would've made thanos av4) or simply marvel's civil war.

We know from at least Feige, Downey, and Mackie that's a predominantly Captain America story, and they've downplayed the comments about it being an Avengers 2.5. Civil War is no more an Avengers movie than Winter Soldier was a SHIELD movie -- they may fill out the supporting cast and help add layers to the story, but it's still mainly Cap who's driving this thing.
iron man is supposed to have very heavy footing in the civil war story, so not having this film be av2.5 or whatever, isn't giving it the right parameter imo.

Those "rumors" were just fans making shit up about what they'd want to see in future movies, like the rumors of Guardians 2 being Planet Hulk or whatever else. Avengers 2 was always going to be Ultron -- it was something Whedon had pitched when he got the gig for the first Avengers movie -- and frankly, the idea of jumping all the way up to Thanos in Avengers 2, and then scaling it way back down to Civil War for 3 never sense to me anyway.
you don't know that for sure. for all we know, this could've been exactly what marvel was planning (not age of ultron as av2) and they had to change their plans.

Pachimari

But where do you have this idea, that this is the Civil War story? It don't even have half the heroes in there.

This is a Captain America movie...

Age of Ultron wasn't Age of Ultron in anything but name either was it.

Civil War, as a concept: Superheroes need to be controlled.

Doesn't have to be secret identities, doesn't have to have Nazi Iron Man, doesn't have to have hundreds of supporting characters. It's an idea. Iron Man vs Cap. Different ideologies. That's it.

We aren't getting a Peter Parker who's been Spider-Man for 20 years taking his mask off either. Accept that it'll be a vastly different story and move on.

But where do you have this idea, that this is the Civil War story? It don't even have half the heroes in there.

This is a Captain America movie...

Age of Ultron wasn't Age of Ultron in anything but name either was it.
i get what you're saying, in that just because this is named after a comic book story doesn't mean that it'll be a direct adaptation of it. We've seen that with both dofp, and av2.

The thing is, they are obviously choosing to honor what the civil war story was in the comics, which was a major crossover story...which involved iron man. When has there ever been a solo marvel film where a different marvel character had a major role/was a main character in it? Not just a cameo? Black widow has been in a couple of them but she hasn't had her own film series.
Civil War, as a concept: Superheroes need to be controlled.

Doesn't have to be secret identities, doesn't have to have Nazi Iron Man, doesn't have to have hundreds of supporting characters. It's an idea. Iron Man vs Cap. Different ideologies. That's it.

We aren't getting a Peter Parker who's been Spider-Man for 20 years taking his mask off either. Accept that it'll be a vastly different story and move on.
here's the thing with that. Before sony and Disney made the deal, the spe leak revealed that it was for the cap3 film that Disney seriously wanted sony to cooperate in a crossover. Do you think it is a coincidence that it is because Spider-Man was vital to the civil wat story in the comic, despite the fact that his role will be largely different in the film version (which just happens to be cap3) ?

Blader

i'm not arguing with that, i'm just saying it didn't have to be titled 'captain america'. it could've been avengers: civil war (which would've made thanos av4) or simply marvel's civil war.

iron man is supposed to have very heavy footing in the civil war story, so not having this film be av2.5 or whatever, isn't giving it the right parameter imo.

Ok, but again, if the film is written as a Captain America story and framed as a Captain America story, how does it make sense to NOT call it Captain America: Civil War? They can still make Iron Man a heavy presence in the movie without it being structured as a Cap/Iron Man movie or Avengers movie. It just means that Steve's perspective is the one driving the plot, and he'll be the primary character in the film rather than split evenly with Iron Man or Black Panther.

There are also contractual and branding reasons why it's more beneficial to call the movie Cap 3 than Avengers whatever.

you don't know that for sure. for all we know, this could've been exactly what marvel was planning (not age of ultron as av2) and they had to change their plans.

yes, we do. The people actually involved with the movies have said up and down that they planned on using Ultron for Avengers 2 since before the first movie (and given how forward-thinking they are with mapping out movies, is it really impossible to believe that they'd already planned this 3 years in advance?) and have equally sworn up and down that there'd be no Planet Hulk/World War Hulk movie. The only person with a shred of credibility who said the latter was a possibility of happening was El Mayimbe, who took a lot of shit when that wasn't the case and backpeddled on it later.

People on the internet make shit up about how they'd like to see the movies go in the future or because they want clicks and then pass that around as "rumor," doesn't mean there's anything true to it.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Marvel Studios does not slavishly adhere to comic book storylines. Iron Man will most likely play a supporting role as an antagonist, but Cap will get the lion's share of character development.

There's the thing with that. Before sony and Disney made the deal, the spe leak revealed that it was for the cap3 film that Disney seriously wanted sony to cooperate in a crossover. Do you think it is a coincidence that it is because Spider-Man was vital to the civil wat story in the comic, despite the fact that his role will be largely different in the film version (which just happens to be cap3) ?

If Spidey is so vital to Civil War, why hasn't he been officially cast yet? I'm seeing him in a cameo role, nothing more.

Ok, but again, if the film is written as a Captain America story and framed as a Captain America story, how does it make sense to NOT call it Captain America: Civil War? They can still make Iron Man a heavy presence in the movie without it being structured as a Cap/Iron Man movie or Avengers movie. It just means that Steve's perspective is the one driving the plot, and he'll be the primary character in the film rather than split evenly with Iron Man or Black Panther.
Now it's gets personal I guess, coz to me, personally, this civil war story shouldn't be be framed as a captain america perspective. instead of just calling it cap3 with the movie following him since its his, and iron man being the 2nd most important character, it should be called avengers: civil war or marvel's civil war if it is going to be a massive crossover story like its comic book counterpart was.
There are also contractual and branding reasons why it's more beneficial to call the movie Cap 3 than Avengers whatever.
that's what I suspect and it's why I don't think having it be a captain america film is doing it justice. chris evans has contracted to do a certain number of ensemble and solo films and writing this off as a solo film fills that void, and rdj got contracted into this movie and will receive additional benefits if the film outperforms cap2, because they think it'll be because of him.
yes, we do. The people actually involved with the movies have said up and down that they planned on using Ultron for Avengers 2 since before the first movie (and given how forward-thinking they are with mapping out movies, is it really impossible to believe that they'd already planned this 3 years in advance?) and have equally sworn up and down that there'd be no Planet Hulk/World War Hulk movie. The only person with a shred of credibility who said the latter was a possibility of happening was El Mayimbe, who took a lot of shit when that wasn't the case and backpeddled on it later.
it was rumored that marvel had two scripts for cap3 written, one with and one without spiderman, if sony weren't to comply for a crossover. so even if a marvel rep said av2 was always going to be ultron, it is still possible they had a script or an early draft or even just a rough idea of doing thanos for av2 in order to have av3 be civil war. but yes, I know marvel likes to map out their movie directions, i heard they have plans throughout 2029 or something like that.

People on the internet make shit up about how they'd like to see the movies go in the future or because they want clicks and then pass that around as "rumor," doesn't mean there's anything true to it.
yes. i'll agree with you there.

Marvel Studios does not slavishly adhere to comic book storylines. Iron Man will most likely play a supporting role as an antagonist, but Cap will get the lion's share of character development.
again, this is a double edge sword. if iron man's role in the film is minimal at most, then it isn't doing the civil war story justice (and i understand that this may not be a direct adaptation of the civil war comic, but they are using the overall principles if iron man is a part of the cinematic story) since it is supposed to be a massive crossover story, like the avengers movies are.
If Spidey is so vital to Civil War, why hasn't he been officially cast yet? I'm seeing him in a cameo role, nothing more.
i think they're gonna have to announce casting soon. and although it is not official confirmation i think rdj mentioned in passing that spiderman is supposed to show up.
Marvel is about the spirit of the story, not letter by letter retelling.
I wasn't to say this was gonna be a panel for panel base of the civil war comic, but with the hype behind iron man being involved as well as several of the other marvel mainstays, it does seem like they are choosing to go by the overall direction that civil war was - a story that had not just cap as the most important character.

This thread is killing me. There needs to be a counter for every time someone insinuates black person = immediately related to Wakanda.

Wazzy

Banned

But didn't most reports state he'll play a pretty big role?

I find it pretty odd that Marvel hasn't casted spiderman yet, doesn't his filming start soon?

Wazzy

Banned
I think Spidey only have a small cameo. Nothing official. Just my gut feeling.
Even if it's just a small cameo, if he's filming in June shouldn't he have been casted by now? He's been rewritten into the script so it's going to be more than just a small cameo.

Either Marvels already casted and they're really good at hiding it or they're still stuck deciding which is crazy to me.

Santiako

Even if it's just a small cameo, if he's filming in June shouldn't he have been casted by now? He's been rewritten into the script so it's going to be more than just a small cameo.

Either Marvels already casted and they're really good at hiding it or they're still stuck deciding which is crazy to me.

They probably have already casted Asa Butterface but haven't announced it yet.

Maybe they're shooting for the in-film surprise? Like Matt Damon in Interstellar.

Maybe they're shooting for the in-film surprise? Like Matt Damon in Interstellar.

We knew Matt Damon was cast in Interstellar though, we just didn't know in what role. Unless you mean that the surprise would come from not knowing who is playing Spidey until he takes off the mask in the film. But would that even be considered surprise worthy, when it's just some "random" kid? Someone like Asa Butterfield isn't exactly a household name.

S1kkZ

the spider-man film comes out in what, 2-3 years?

if they film the new actor now (who is probably between 16-18), he could look much older/different in a few years when the new standalone film/reboot comes out. if he is in the film, maybe its just a short cameo with spidey (new actor in full costume) swinging through new york.

Top Bottom