• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Avengers: Civil War starts shooting - Cast and synopsis confirmed

ryseing

So you can take this with a grain of salt since I'm just some guy on the internet but I've heard from my buddy who told me about Hawkeye's situation in Age of Ultron months prior to the movie coming out that two people have been cast as of this morning to big roles for upcoming Marvel stuff:

Emily Blunt has signed on as Captain Marvel.
Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones/Hunger Games) has signed on as Enchantress in Thor 3

If this is false, especially the latter...

-griffy-

Banned
But Natalie Dormer is already in the MCU!
latest

Spinluck

I want cap 3. Not avengers 2.5. I want cap, falcon going after Bucky. Fighting red skull or Zemo. Give me a focused brubaker influenced story that continues from the winter soldier.

Instead they'll wedge these plot threads, short change them and go into hero FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT mode.

What we're getting in the OP sounds 1000x better tbh.

Blader

Well maybe not liking playing the part but his contract with Marvel is expiring soon and he has stated interest in shifting to behind the camera rather than in front.

Also he said this over a year ago: ‘Captain America’s’ Chris Evans Says He’s Ready to Leave Acting Behind

He's already started directing, and he's kind of backpedaled on his retirement comments a bit anyway. His frustration with acting sounds more like not being in control of things or what the film will look like more than anything else. Not that he's really calling the shots here either but he does get a degree of input on things.

I said he wanted to make a film shorter than the first, and there is a quote of him saying he wanted it to be shorter than the first. I don't know how that disproves it.

There is no "Evil Marvel makes Joss cut an hour of film" here. It's absurd to think that because a rough cut was 3:15, that Whedon ever was going to have that as the final runtime.

You're saying that Whedon wanted a short film. His first cut being 3 hours and 15 minutes suggests that he had difficulty cutting stuff when it came down to it. That means that whatever he said before he stepped into that editing bay, when it came time to actually edit, he felt there were a lot more things in the movie that should be there.

Then there's the interviews where he states specifically that Marvel was pressuring him to cut more than he wanted to cut. That he had to fight for several scenes, so much so that he eventually felt "beat down."

Your assessment is based on ideals he had before he made the movie and my assessment is based on what he said actually happened during the process of editing.

Edit: And who is saying that Marvel is evil for making him edit it down? It's a business decision. The reality is, if Marvel wants The Russos to edit down the movie, they're going to be forced to edit down the movie. Taking the stance of, "Marvel won't do that to The Russos because they're not Whedon" is silly as hell and it completely ignores the fact that Marvel has veto'd multiple directors and writers over the course of making all these films. They will do what they want regardless of who they've tapped to make the thing.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Its a cumulative thing, many people already weren't trusting the Avengers immediately after NY but they still saved the damn world, same with Ultron. At some point though, the world governments' will run out of patience and take a stand.
Yep, it will all add up. Plus, a new incident that serves as the boiling point guarantees an awesome and dramatic opening for CW.

Why do people keep saying this? It's a myth.

Dude absolutely adores the role. He just wants to direct in addition to being an actor.

Yeah, AFAIK he's actually mentioned that he'd be fine with only playing Cap for the rest of his career and spend the rest of his time directing.

I don't think this means he wants to be in a Captain America movie every year though, but he doesn't seem to hate the role by any stretch. Actually reminds me a bit of Cumberbatch and his comments regarding Sherlock Holmes, he's also said he'd love to spend the rest of his career playing the character on the BBC series (and seeing as that series only comes out every couple of years, I see no reason why he won't)

Blader

You're saying that Whedon wanted a short film. His first cut being 3 hours and 15 minutes suggests that he had difficulty cutting stuff when it came down to it. That means that whatever he said before he stepped into that editing bay, when it came time to actually edit, he felt there were a lot more things in the movie that should be there.

Then there's the interviews where he states specifically that Marvel was pressuring him to cut more than he wanted to cut. That he had to fight for several scenes, so much so that he eventually felt "beat down."

Your assessment is based on ideals he had before he made the movie and my assessment is based on what he said actually happened during the process of editing.

Your "I want to make it smaller, more personal" quote is also an ideal taken from before he started making the movie.

And his first cut being over 3 hours just means he shot a lot of material. Those first cuts are always long and often get chopped down by a lot.

- J - D -

Well maybe not liking playing the part but his contract with Marvel is expiring soon and he has stated interest in shifting to behind the camera rather than in front.

Also he said this over a year ago: ‘Captain America’s’ Chris Evans Says He’s Ready to Leave Acting Behind

Well he said this just 3 weeks ago:

On Marvel, Cap, acting..
I think it’s almost like high school. You’re kind of always looking ahead, about when you’ll graduate, but then when graduation day arrives you kind of don’t want to leave. I AM gonna try and focus on directing a bit more, but by no means am I done acting. And if they’d have me back, yeah, I’d probably consider it.

I never put much stock into things like this. It's hard to tell how much is posturing, and how much is genuine. Things are always fluid.

Vik

Banned
So you can take this with a grain of salt since I'm just some guy on the internet but I've heard from my buddy who told me about Hawkeye's situation in Age of Ultron months prior to the movie coming out that two people have been cast as of this morning to big roles for upcoming Marvel stuff:

Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones/Hunger Games) has signed on as Enchantress in Thor 3

Dormer was already in Captain America 1

https://youtu.be/_11Fx44iCJg

NastyBook

Move over Whedon.

Time for the Russos to show how it's done.

I hope BP's fighting style is brutal and animalistic.
I'm just hoping for a spar between him and Cap, or a triple threat with him, Cap, and WS.

Either way, the fights in this film are gonna shit all over the competition once again.

ZeroCDR

This makes it seem like the current plan is comic civil war ending.

AoU Spoilers
If this is the case, they still have to fire Chekov's gun with Steve using Mjolnir, so at the very least he'll come back for Avengers IW Part 2 somehow. He should still have one movie left in his contract after Civil War.

Ronin Ray

Its a cumulative thing, many people already weren't trusting the Avengers immediately after NY but they still saved the damn world, same with Ultron. At some point though, the world governments' will run out of patience and take a stand.

Yeah but unlike the first movie they created the threat (ultron) and Hulk straight up demolished a city in Africa. I would say patience should have ran out by now

After being mildly disappointed by Age of Ultron, this movie is sounding really good.

I'm glad Paul Rudd is going to be back. I was afraid his movie might be a sort of one-off, separate from the rest of the MCU.

Your "I want to make it smaller, more personal" quote is also an ideal taken from before he started making the movie.

And his first cut being over 3 hours just means he shot a lot of material. Those first cuts are always long and often get chopped down by a lot.

Yes. And the film didn't end up smaller but he did end up getting the more personal aspects in there where he could.

And yes, first cuts do tend to get cut down by a lot. But he has literally talked in interviews about Marvel putting the pressure on cutting certain stuff while other stuff they cut because it didn't work.

jtb

Banned
I'm surprised notoriously cheap Marvel keeps shelling out huge salaries for RDJ.

My expectation is that Tony dies in Civil War. Makes too much sense. Give the viewer the reverse, so it's not completley telegraphed from the comics, and I'm sure Kevin Feige is drooling at the prospect of taking the only highly paid star in the MCU off the books.

I'm surprised notoriously cheap Marvel keeps shelling out huge salaries for RDJ.

My expectation is that Tony dies in Civil War. Makes too much sense. Give the viewer the reverse, so it's not completley telegraphed from the comics, and I'm sure Kevin Feige is drooling at the prospect of taking the only highly paid star in the MCU off the books.

RDJ was signed on for Infinity War already. Civil War was just a bonus sign on for him that came after the Age of Ultron and Infinity War contract.

But I want a scene of Tony meeting the dwarf that crafted Mjolnir and making a magic Iron Man suit for Infinity War.

KissVibes

Banned

RDJ is a major fucking draw. Iron Man is the top selling Avenger and gets the most toys and shit made. What they pay him seems large since Marvel has a reputation for being cheap, but Downey makes them rich.

This would be like firing Stone Cold or The Rock right before WrestleMania (Avengers: Infinity War) back in the day.

guek

Banned

I'll lead the tar and feathering if this doesn't pan out.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

People love RDJ.

The films would lose a lot of appeal if he died. Hell, even I'd be less inclined to watch them.

so the incident involving Avengers. probably Scarlet Witch right? she's the least experienced member of the team, and probably the most likely to messed up with her power.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This movie is packed, cast-wise. I really hope they'll manage to maintain focus, because it looks like they're jamming half of the MCU into this

LiK

he's the main star so that's no surprise. they'll keep whoever brings in the audience.

Dai101

Banned
so the incident involving Avengers. probably Scarlet Witch right? she's the least experienced member of the team, and probably the most likely to messed up with her power.

I bet more of a false-flag operation. We know HYDRA is alive and well and that there are stil other enemy factions aswell.

Also
FUCKING INHUMANS!!! at war too

Top Bottom