• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle of Illusion HD starring Mickey Mouse |OT| Once upon a mouse

Tizoc

xi9w.jpg

Platform: Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Steam
Developer: SEGA
Genre: Platformer
Players: 1 Player
Release date: September 3rd & 4th 2013
Price & availability:
Steam availability:

Details
Sega and Disney's Castle of Illusion has been given an HD remake set to release on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Steam. Various gameplay changes have been done such as the inclusion of 3D segments to the actual castle and certain levels, the inclusion Time Trials for certain levels, the ability to switch between the original Genesis music and remade music by Grant Kirkhope (Banjo Kazooie series, Goldeneye for the N64) and unlockable outfits for Mickey.
1socPJx.jpg

Genesis/Mega Drive version details
Emulated by M2, it features a ‘region’ option allowing the player to set the game to either the North American, PAL or Japanese version. In addition, it offers save states as well as the ability to record a play through of the game to upload to the internet.
Note that it would appear that EU members won't get the Genesis/MD ver. to play until the HD remake's release on Sept. 4th.

Media
Announcement trailer
Launch trailer
15 Minute Playthrough of the 1st level
Level 1 playthrough by VG 24/7 (Stage 1 remade music can be heard along with Sully's narration)
Gaming Live Level 1 playthrough
Dev. Diary 1 featuring insight from original developers of the MD/Genesis ver.
Dev. Diary 2

Reviews
I Wanna Be The Guy said:
iuaw.gif

Thanks to Dark Schala, Lijik, Dobkeratops & halfbeast for their assistance in making the OT

Tizoc

US PSN members who pre-ordered the game, please check your download list as you may be able to download the Genesis version!

JoeFenix

Took a chance on this and pre-ordered for the M2 port of the original.

Hopefully the remake will be good but I really don't know what to expect in terms of quality, we'll see next week!

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
US PSN members who pre-ordered the game, please check your download list as you may be able to download the Genesis version!
We definitely have access to it already. I was playing it over the weekend.

As someone who never played the original (never owned a Genesis, for one) ...it was pleasant :')
only I was sick as hell so I had to quit after the first boss which sucked

Bladenic

I pre-ordered yesterday and I'm on the last level of the original. Can't wait for the remake.

Though hopefully it's a little meatier than the original.

Lijik

Ive replayed the original Genesis version a few times this year in anticipation. I cant wait!

Every time a bad review is posted
iuaw.gif

I just remembered he does this walk in Epic Mickey 2 as well
tumblr_mf01e9N93T1qejutxo1_500.jpg

I wonder if its mandated by Disney like the always sillouette ears

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have no idea what Sega is doing with the Steam version. The app hasn't been updated in over two months, the main sub hasn't been updated in a month, and a week ago the retail sub had its name changed from "Castle of Illusion Retail" to a generic Steam Sub descriptor. Get to work and let me pre-order already!

Tizoc

Does the Genesis game have trophies by any chance?

Well you unlock the Last Trophy and Platinum when you input the code that'll take you to the secret final level where Mickey transformers into Super Mickey by the Gems and you face off against Mizrebel's demon form.
Nope no trophies amigo ;3

Zane

The music in that VG247 video sounds exactly like the music in the Banjo-Kazooie games. This is a good sign.

R.I.P

So the original genesis game is not available right away when you pre-order in europe? Might have to buy this from the US store then, I would like to play the original before jumping into the remake.

Tizoc

So the original genesis game is not available right away when you pre-order in europe? Might have to buy this from the US store then, I would like to play the original before jumping into the remake.

Amazon.com offer $20 codes grab from there and get it off US PSN~

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Oh hey, didn't realize if you preorder you get to play the original as soon as you preorder. Figure it unlocked the same day.

Awesome, know what I'm doing tonight.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Why is this topic so dead? Surely there''s hype for this game? Anyway it's available for preorder in Europe now. I preordered just now. Kinda bullshitty we have to wait until release day to get the mega drive version but the US got to download the mega drive version several weeks before launch though.

Lol I love it. This needs to become a thing.

Also even if the remake end up being terrible it was worth the money for the original alone.

Tizoc

I find it odd that only the very first level has playthroughs by certain websites and the like. We do see snippets of later stages such as the
Knight armors from the last stage in the Genesis ver.
While I am one to usually do a media blackout I think footage of those would also help get more interest in the game.

Oh and I swear if the Clock Tower boss in the remake is a bigger unfair asshole like in the Genesis ver....

TEJ

I was interested in the game before, but Grant Kirkhope?!

I'm gonna preorder this game on psn soon!

Xander51

I think this game looks surprisingly amazing. Has all the charm I was hoping for from Epic Mickey 2. Love the narration in the videos that are out there so far.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
No Wii U version is a bummer. It would sit nicely next to DuckTales Remastered.

I'd love a special folder for classic Capcom-Disney game remakes. Steam it is!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wonder what kind of performance the console versions will deliver.

Duck Tales ran at 1080p 60 fps on consoles making it easy to go with one of those versions over the PC iteration. I suspect that won't be the case here, though, but I hope they at least deliver 60 fps.

I grew up playing NES and SNES games that were picked up by my folks from a yard sale. I was 4 and we frequently went to Blockbuster and other venues to rent games to play. I remember walking in one time and begging my folks to rent a genesis console so I could play this game because I was tired of playing Magical Quest but the fates didn't have that option in my favor. I forgot about this game until a few months ago when I discovered the game again and tried to play it on my PC emulator. Needless to say, it wasn't the best experience, but it encouraged me to preorder the game on PSN and happily await the day when I can finally play this gem. I got my hands on with the pre-release rerelease of the genesis game and had a blast. Can't wait until next week when I can finaly fullfill my childhood dreams.

Loved this game, looking forward to the remake. Nostalgia has me wishing for an HD update to this enchanting Mickey game next:

I remember playing this one too! I never finished it but I remember playing it the most next to North and South.

Tizoc

Gamersgate.com has the pre-order up!
I would recommend waiting for Steam to put up it's pre-order first though.

Will preorder tonight. Is the bonus worldwide for psn?

All I know for now is that EU and US PSN get the pre-order bonus. EU however, get to play the original version when the remake is released.
US PSN should give it to you instantly after you purchase.
If you want to get it off US PSN, you can buy PSN codes from Amazon.com, but make sure to use a US billing address to not get charged more than the price of the PSN code you're buying!

VanWinkle

Wonder what kind of performance the console versions will deliver.

Duck Tales ran at 1080p 60 fps on consoles making it easy to go with one of those versions over the PC iteration. I suspect that won't be the case here, though, but I hope they at least deliver 60 fps.

I feel like it will be 30fps. I don't know that - it just looks FAR more graphically intensive than Duck Tales. Would be great if it IS 60fps, though.

Top Bottom