• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Dominus Collection [Out Now]

Dorago

Exciting. They're all really good with PoR being the most complete of the Advance style of CV game.

DoS has the somewhat annoying glyph system but it's still a great playthrough.

Ecclesia is the most different and the most difficult past Circle of the Moon.

PoR has lots of variety, lots of challenge, several new game plus options, and tons of reward for grinding.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Now release Symphony and Rondo on all platforms, Konami, you dicks. Original English PS dub will do fine. I want my memes.
And for Belmont’s sake throw in Adventure Rebirth as well.

I also want the underrated XBLA game.

CastlevaniaHarmonyofDespair.png

simpatico

Gold Member
Fucking finally. I had actually priced a used 3DS just to get access to these. Apparently emulation isn’t the best because of the second screen things.

ssringo

I've said it before but the DS "best" box threw me off so hard the first time I saw it posted on a forum. I couldn't figure out why people were laughing at it. I owned the original box so I never saw it's rerelease and to me it looked like something from an online store listing. Fucking lulz indeed...

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Fucking finally. I had actually priced a used 3DS just to get access to these. Apparently emulation isn’t the best because of the second screen things.
The second screen things were always quite crappy and tacked on to justify the gimmick. Especially in Dawn, being an early DS game.
Nothing of value has been lost.

Comandr

Some of the best Igavania games. Doesn't look like there are any shader options at all. I don't know how I feel about the second (and third?) screens always being there. Feels noisy.

BlackTron

Some of the best Igavania games. Doesn't look like there are any shader options at all. I don't know how I feel about the second (and third?) screens always being there. Feels noisy.

You can change screen layouts. The main window can take up the whole screen if you want.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I know. Thing is I only have a regular Switch (Animal Crossing) - and don't really play Switch on the go very often. I find it quite uncomfortable to hold for some reason - so 90% of the time, I play it on my OLED TV.

Steam deck isn't that comfortable to hold either - and substantially heavier - but at least it doesn't give me the hand cramps, and doesn't feel like it's going to break if I hold too hard like Switch Joycons. :(

Maybe I will invest in some good grip for Switch... I hope Nintendo will cross honor the Switch digital purchases to Switch 2, whenever it comes out... :)
Get that hori grip

Imo if you own a switch get that version also better battery life

Krathoon

Gold Member
I also love it how Konami games are so obtuse when using a keyboard.
I was messing around with it on Steam.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
You have no idea how quick I just bought these as soon as I opened Steam to see them there!

I just wish you could hide the second screens :messenger_unamused:

I'll live though. I can retire my DS cartridges to the history cupboard finally!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Great games (well, DoS and OoE at least), but I'm waiting to see how the ports are before buying it. If there's better audio quality and the visuals are scaled properly, that'd be amazing, but keeping expectations in check knowing how these ports typically go.

MacReady13

Fuck me DRUNK! Could this year get any better? Seriously, this is AMAZING! And to have that Doom collection a couple of weeks back! Then Astro Bot next week and Black Myth Wukong last week... Gaming is thriving in my eyes!!! All I need now is a new 3D Mario and I'm happy!

It´s on PSN (PS5) as well :messenger_open_mouth: :love: Great!!!

Always wanted to play these Castlevanias, witch one is better to start? This Soma guy never sat well wtih me... So wanna try the other games in the collection.

Last edited:
FINALLY, now I’ve got all the Igavanias on command.
Damn near shat myself when I saw it on the storefront, best surprise in a while.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Haven't had the chance to see for myself but BlackTron BlackTron said in post #63 you could change the layout so it's just the main screen.
Check 1:48 in the video.

Edit: OK, there are screen options and you see them change a few but you never actually see main window full screen so I hope I didn't mislead something.
Just had another quick go, it seems from the options you get if you hold down the left trigger that it might only be sets of various screen layouts

1+2 and 3, 1+2, 1+2 and 3 small etc.

If I wasn't being nagged to do things I could have played around with it more. I had to shut it off :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Holammer

I never played symphony of the night. What’s the best route of playing that?
There are updated versions on PSP/PS4 with a more accurate translation, but why not just play the OG PS1 version and enjoy it for what it is, warts and all? You get the hammy meme dialogue.
Or just go with the Japanese game with an English patch. It is delightful because of Norio Wakamoto's super manly Dracula performance.

BlackTron

Just had another quick go, it seems from the options you get if you hold down the left trigger that it might only be sets of various screen layouts

1+2 and 3, 1+2, 1+2 and 3 small etc.

If I wasn't being nagged to do things I could have played around with it more. I had to shut it off :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Wow you have the game? Thanks for letting us know it *might* just be what the video showed without being sure that is extremely helpful.

swarley64

I actually just bought and played the DS carts from some shady Amazon vendor a couple years ago, but will happily double dip.

Did anyone try the Haunted Castle remix yet?

Krathoon

Gold Member
There are updated versions on PSP/PS4 with a more accurate translation, but why not just play the OG PS1 version and enjoy it for what it is, warts and all? You get the hammy meme dialogue.
Or just go with the Japanese game with an English patch. It is delightful because of Norio Wakamoto's super manly Dracula performance.
You can play the old PC Engine version of Rondo with a translation. I did like the 3D version on PSP. They add some 3D cutscenes to it. It was a neat version.

Was not expecting Haunted Castle Revisited to be a remake.

I actually just bought and played the DS carts from some shady Amazon vendor a couple years ago, but will happily double dip.

Did anyone try the Haunted Castle remix yet?
Yup. I meant to just try the first level to see what was "remixed" about it, actually played through the whole thing. They actually remade Haunted Castle into a pretty decent game. That wasn't on my bingo card for things to ever happen.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I've said it before but the DS "best" box threw me off so hard the first time I saw it posted on a forum. I couldn't figure out why people were laughing at it. I owned the original box so I never saw it's rerelease and to me it looked like something from an online store listing. Fucking lulz indeed...
When I picked up the game it is the version I wanted and got. It's just the best.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
On PSN also....i'll get it there instead for the trophies. Platinum is doable without any crazy requirements.

Nintendo loses again for me on this one because they refuse to implement a trophy system.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

It´s on PSN (PS5) as well :messenger_open_mouth: :love: Great!!!

Always wanted to play these Castlevanias, witch one is better to start? This Soma guy never sat well wtih me... So wanna try the other games in the collection.
I would recommend playing them in release order, which would be Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, then Order of Ecclesia.

But you can really play them in any order you want. People here are probably most excited for Order of Ecclesia.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Wow you have the game? Thanks for letting us know it *might* just be what the video showed without being sure that is extremely helpful.
Way to be a dick. I already told you in my first initial post I didn't see an option. I was hoping someone could varify there was a way🖕

Zacfoldor

On PSN also....i'll get it there instead for the trophies. Platinum is doable without any crazy requirements.

Nintendo loses again for me on this one because they refuse to implement a trophy system.

Same, but for a different reason. I assumed the PS version would be 4k and Switch 1080p/720p - but I haven't even checked to see if that is accurate yet. Huge Nintendo fan, but lately I've been skipping Switch for most games just because of the theoretical resolution bump. Ready for that Switch 2 though.

Top Bottom