• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Dominus Collection [Out Now]

cireza

Gold Member
Bought it. Just tested it out on the Steam Deck, it seems to run fine, no issues noticed. M2 handled the port, I doubled checked the credits. We're eating good on this one.

apyG9wK.jpeg

WYrlNcj.jpeg
This is M2, so most certainly integer scaled. There should be some small black bars top and bottom. Fantastic news.

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
Ah...I bought the castlevania advanced collection and the anniversary collection. I was confused there for a second.

I'm also reading the red rising series now and the words dominus and domina get thrown around a bunch. Kinda like the Starz Spartacus show

Reactions: Isa

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I'll let you all in on the secret attack technique for Dawn of Sorrow.

1) micro jump and attack in the air.
2) land and you can attack again instantly.
3) special attack
4) attack
5) back dash and cancel into attack instantly.

With katana the special is a triple slice so its 7 slashes in like 2 seconds.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

I recommend going to other settings and picking the 4th display. Makes the map bigger. Hit select to toggle the 2nd screen.

[Edit] on 2nd thought, just leave it. You have to see the item / soul farming info pretty much all the time.

Last edited:

Pejo

I like what they did with the display options, pretty smart. I'm excited for some people that never played OoE, and I can't wait to hear their impressions. It was a step-up, difficulty wise, from other RPG focused castlevania games.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Sorry man. They're all unique spins in their own way and all have a lot in common with SotN. It's sorta like being asked what is most like Mario Bros 1 -World or 3? 1 is equally "Mario Prime" in both, while being very distinct games still.

Was just messin with ya

But thanks for the info

I'll let you all in on the secret attack technique for Dawn of Sorrow.

1) micro jump and attack in the air.
2) land and you can attack again instantly.
3) special attack
4) attack
5) back dash and cancel into attack instantly.

With katana the special is a triple slice so its 7 slashes in like 2 seconds.

This is pretty neat. I'd always just chain the short hop into the back dash to do 3 quick attacks (attacks during mid air, landing, back dash). Jumping out of the backdash to speed up traversal was fun too.

clem84

Gold Member
I'm puzzled as to how Dawn of Sorrow even works. The patterns you had to perform before killing bosses, they had to be done quickly. No way you could do those in time if you use a stick to move the cursor around. On the Switch handheld it's not a problem of course, but on other platforms?

edit: ah... QTEs.

Last edited:

ssringo

I'm puzzled as to how Dawn of Sorrow even works. The patterns you had to perform before killing bosses, they had to be done quickly. No way you could do those in time if you use a stick to move the cursor around. On the Switch handheld it's not a problem of course, but on other platforms?

edit: ah... QTEs.
L3/R3 change the speed of the cursor. I guess it would move fast enough to do the patterns. Maybe? On PC you can actually use the mouse while using a controller at the same time (not hot swapping, both active at the same time). That might work on console.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Was going to wait for a physical release, but no thanks since it's going to Limited Run (I guess I shouldn't have been surprised - they got the other collections). I also went back and forth between Switch or Steam Deck, but decided on the Switch.

A few quick impressions after 15 minutes with the game (playing Order).

1) I absolutely love the game + map + status + monster stats layout. It reminds me a lot of the upgrades M2 also did for Phantasy Star Ages on the Switch many years ago.
2) Pixel art is much better than I remember it being on the DS. Having a larger screen (even though it doesn't fill the screen) really helps here.
3) This makes me want a similar collection of Dragon Quest IV, V, and VI's DS releases. Badly.
4) Rewind seems like it'll be a godsend in this game.

Last edited:

ssringo

2) Pixel art is much better than I remember it being on the DS. Having a larger screen (even though it doesn't fill the screen) really helps here.

I'm still working through Dawn and will be a week or so before I get to Ecclesia since I'm going in release order but I always thought Portrait and Ecclesia had gorgeous art. Here's hoping it's better than I remember :D

You knew it was coming!

Castlevania-Dominus-Collection-physical.jpg

Dawn is my least favorite of the 3 but I'd love to have both of the other covers. If it wasn't from LRG...

Ulysses 31

This is seriously fucking over my ethical stance with LRG and that PS5+Switch version

What the fuck man, why can't they just do a physical in the first place!
Eh, as long as the product itself is not infected with their woke nonsense, I have no issues buying. Just like I can watch a movie with an actor who's IRL views I don't like.

00_Zer0

Was going to wait for a physical release, but no thanks since it's going to Limited Run (I guess I shouldn't have been surprised - they got the other collections). I also went back and forth between Switch or Steam Deck, but decided on the Switch.

A few quick impressions after 15 minutes with the game (playing Order).

1) I absolutely love the game + map + status + monster stats layout. It reminds me a lot of the upgrades M2 also did for Phantasy Star Ages on the Switch many years ago.
3) This makes me want a similar collection of Dragon Quest IV, V, and VI's DS releases. Badly.
4) Rewind seems like it'll be a godsend in this game.
I'm buying this for Switch and Steam, but starting with the Steam release first then probably going to pick up physical for Switch at some point.

The first game I'm playing is Order of Ecclesia since I've played through the first 2 games on DS, and never had a chance to play OoE back in the day.

What struck me when I first saw the trailer is how well the artwork holds up today, especially in OoE. I get M2 probably did touch ups and improvements here or there, but the base artwork is still there and it looks better than ever. I was worried about how zoomed out the characters would be, but seeing the trailer eased my fears 100%. I can't wait to pick this up later this weekend.

Punished Miku

6 games that came out on Nintendo handheld systems that seem made for Switch, yet

Xbox is kinda the low key definitive system for 2D castlevania because it's the only place we can or will ever get Harmony of Despair lol. Hopefully they make a handheld already.
Also Lords of Shadow 1 and 2. And the 3DS game.

Top Bottom