• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Saerk said:
With Johnathan does his sub weapons level per hit or on a kill. Would it be better to use him on a low act where he can one shot the mobs or on a higher act where it will take multiple casts?

They go up faster on higher stages/hard mode.

Maaseru

Banned
Oh man this games rocks. So my Charlotte run is going great. I've had no desire to play online since yesterday just because I find building Charlotte's spell sorta fun. She really is a great single player character once you get some decent spells. I can beat normal bosses 1-4 without getting hit :lol ! She just seems more rpg-ish and that makes me think a level system of some sorts would have made the single player a lot more fun with the other character, not so much a grind and also it would have added some kind of balance to the matchmaking.

Is there another character like this because although playing Alucard is fun I only had like 4 scrolls and not many good weapons.

BTW my spells : Heal, Acid Bubble, Flame Shot and Splash Needles. They work great for me, but are there any other that are better, strong against certain enemies because I noticed I was doing 160 damage per attack of Flame shot to lvl 3 boss. And what about item combination, What is that combo that uses life as mana?

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Fuck man I have killed the level 5 boss like 30 times in a row now trying to get one of Shanoa's weapons :lol :'(

edit: on the plus side I got the level down to 3 mins 30 seconds >:/

I'm having more fun with this game that I should be, hahaha.

Sectus said:
Charlotte is best character confirmed!

I discovered this randomly... hold up for about 10 seconds and Charlotte will pull back her coat, do a boob jiggle and say "You like that?" :lol
I believe that is also in the DS version.

second boss is GARBAGE

how are you supposed to beat him playing single player? you can't reach him in time after he moves and his attack takes off half your health.

wow, he even goes into areas you can't reach without opening switches far away :lol

So I took the plunge and bought this. Definitely worth it for Castlevania fans like myself.

I played through Normal with a friend. I was using Charlotte. I can see that she's strong but she is dependent on mana and is very grindy. Still, it's fun seeing what powers you can absorb with her power-absorbing shield.

xero273

Maaseru said:
Oh man this games rocks. So my Charlotte run is going great. I've had no desire to play online since yesterday just because I find building Charlotte's spell sorta fun. She really is a great single player character once you get some decent spells. I can beat normal bosses 1-4 without getting hit :lol ! She just seems more rpg-ish and that makes me think a level system of some sorts would have made the single player a lot more fun with the other character, not so much a grind and also it would have added some kind of balance to the matchmaking.

Is there another character like this because although playing Alucard is fun I only had like 4 scrolls and not many good weapons.

BTW my spells : Heal, Acid Bubble, Flame Shot and Splash Needles. They work great for me, but are there any other that are better, strong against certain enemies because I noticed I was doing 160 damage per attack of Flame shot to lvl 3 boss. And what about item combination, What is that combo that uses life as mana?

I think astral ring + skull ring is what you are looking for. Unlimited healing

Tempted to say this is the best castlevania game I've played from sheer addiction.

Linkzg said:
second boss is GARBAGE

how are you supposed to beat him playing single player? you can't reach him in time after he moves and his attack takes off half your health.

wow, he even goes into areas you can't reach without opening switches far away :lol
- Open all switches
- Destroy the dummy (more about number of hits than raw damage)
- If using alucard you can mist to avoid the iron maiden
- I heard that if you take damage you won't get teleported but I haven't verified

Teknoman

anotheriori said:
Tempted to say this is the best castlevania game I've played from sheer addiction.

- Open all switches
- Destroy the dummy (more about number of hits than raw damage)
- If using alucard you can mist to avoid the iron maiden
- I heard that if you take damage you won't get teleported but I haven't verified

Dont forget to box block any iron maidens you can.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Label said:
Fuck man I have killed the level 5 boss like 30 times in a row now trying to get one of Shanoa's weapons :lol :'(

edit: on the plus side I got the level down to 3 mins 30 seconds >:/
I spent 5 hours grinding bosses 4 and 5 with Shanoa before giving up on getting the 2nd Pneuma. In that time I got one Lapiste. Later, I came back to get the Vic Viper hidden item, and it drops from Death. :-/. So if you're complaining about grinding for a few hours, it can be a lot worse.

MrDaravon

Scarecrow said:
I'm not exactly a dream player, but I'm totally in for more runs.

I'm at work now, but if anyone's around in about 3 hours I'm game. We were rocking the house yesterday.

I got the Pack Rat achievement (can confirm again that you DON'T have to have 300 different items actively on you, just in the Compendium), but I still need to get Boned with a group sometime.

One thing I worry about with this game: how much of an "endgame" is there?

I mean, if all of the cool shit drops on chapters 5 and 6 on hard, what incentive is there to run through the game again?

And if the answer to my question is "DLC" they had better fucking put all of it in one pack. I'm not willing to shell out X amount of dollars for a single character and then another Y dollars for an extra stage and difficulty mode

SailorDaravon said:
I got the Pack Rat achievement (can confirm again that you DON'T have to have 300 different items actively on you, just in the Compendium), but I still need to get Boned with a group sometime.
Good to know. I'm up for getting the Boned achievement in a GAF group sometime. Speed running the first boss shouldn't take too long to get it I imagine.

Sectus

Heretic Kazuma said:
I believe that is also in the DS version.
Yeah, that's right. I played Portrait of Ruin and Dawn of Sorrow a little bit earlier. The only difference is that she says something different: "Not bad, huh?"

I'm not sure I like how much you have to grind Charlotte's spells in Harmony of Despair. It can be pretty tricky to even learn some of the spells. Trying to level up the flame shot spell takes aaaaaaaages.

god, can't stop playing this. help me someone!
The game is far from perfect and has a lot of issues, but they nailed the fun factor.

...or maybe it's just because I love 2d Castlevania.

go Iga go! I need 3-4 new stages.

Vamphuntr

Hard mode is defintely better for me. At least you have to dodge the bosses patterns and plan your moves. In normal mode almost everyone I played with standed still while spamming spells/sub weapons. For the final boss on Normal the trick is simply to have a Charlotte spam the heal spell while the other whack him. It's true that the loot system is bad. It's heavily chapter based so after you run through the same chapter 2-3 you almost have everything you can get from the chests except the very rare items, the souls drops for Soma and the monsters drops (which are not given to everyone in a coop game).

Also finding a coop game is a huge pain in the ass. It takes multiples hour to find a team that is suited to your game. You can't search by chapter or difficulty mode. You will be either a new player stuck in a hard level game/ endgame normal mode stage or an advanced player stuck playing the level 1 on normal. Also the achievements whore already infected the game. I met gamers in lobby that would kick players out because they didn't want to do the annoying achievements like
killing a friend charmed by Dracula, the jump kick one and so on

I played most of the game as Soma and it's hard to get good souls :(. He definetly feels weaker than the other characters.

Ridley327

There is something oddly hilarious about three players in skeleton form chasing after the live player (me, in this instance), hoping that he'll find a Water to revive one of them with.

Especially when said player is looting while they're pulling up the rear. :lol

Wizpig

Label said:
Is there any way to increase your chances on the boss drops? :/
The Luck stat.
2&2 said:
Hm, I've been tempted but due to the multiplayer aspect it seems like if you didn't start on day one, you're screwed.
Castle Crashers is a lot worse in that aspect.
I can't play it.
I honestly can't.
Everyone will see my level and kick me out of the party.

This is more like Phantasy Star Online, like drizzle said (even if he said it in a negative way), and you WILL find people who'll help.
And with this i mean that you could just tell them you are new or something so that they can use one of their alt/noob characters.

I understand the game could have been different on day one, but "day one" lasted for... eh... less than a day.
After that you could already find some "skilled" players that would rush without you.
Buying it now doesn't really change a lot.

Long story short... if you want to buy it, buy it, trust me.
Just don't start with 5 strangers on your very first run.
Rabbitwork said:
this game is waaaay better than anything that was shown for it had be believing.

kind of shame they kept pitching it as "yo its mp castlevania!" when they could've told me "yo its castlevania as a loot/grind game!" and i would have been instantly more intrigued.
On my first day, it felt like Castlevania.
I "was" Shanoa, just like in OoE, but i was playing with 5 other guys.
I was playing to see the new levels and beat the game.
I was stuck on level 2 for a long time.

Then after a while it started to feel like PSO... extreme grinding but actually fun... :lol and you don't have character levels! that's awesome!
Coldsnap said:
Okay who wants to do some hard mode in about 30mins?

1. ColdsnapBryan
2 AM here, need to get some sleep :(
Maybe tomorrow?

Coldsnap

how do i absorb the witches heal with charlotte? I get her to heal by sliding into her but holding the RB in the radius of the heal is netting me nothing.

edit I'm on right now but we only got 3 ppl

Scarecrow

Coldsnap said:
how do i absorb the witches heal with charlotte? I get her to heal by sliding into her but holding the RB in the radius of the heal is netting me nothing.

well invite me, mofo! Mr Scarecrow

Wizpig

Coldsnap said:
The healing "ball" she throws at you.
Before it makes a rainbow.

Coldsnap said:

you have to sit inside the rainbow below/above her you can jump into it also but you'll take a hit. The ball is Energy Flow spell.

I've been trying to join a game for the last 30 minutes. Does the game freeze for you guys sometimes while searching for teams?

MrDaravon

Anybody have any recommendations on Souls or attacks to use as Soma on the 3rd form of Dracula on Hard? It still seems like I don't have any terrible effective attack souls overall.

d0c_zaius

Taking another stab at setting up a stage 2 normal group.

Hit me up through the gaf tag or send me an invite if interested. thanks!

Cynar

SailorDaravon said:
Anybody have any recommendations on Souls or attacks to use as Soma on the 3rd form of Dracula on Hard? It still seems like I don't have any terrible effective attack souls overall.

Final Guard (I think it's the name) or just use medusa and float in front of his head and punch him with kaiser knuckle over and over. Slide in and out from beneath his hands between attacks. You just need to learn his patterns and once you got that you're good.

I beat the first chapter by myself! :D

But the second chapter's boss is killing me! How do I dodge those insanely cheap puppet attacks? I don't know what you call it but where he wraps you in a puppet casket and transfer you to one of those spiked coffins?

I can't doge them! I almost beat him with my powered up Shanoa but he keeps getting me!

It's getting me mad because it's so damn cheap!

Cynar

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I beat the first chapter by myself! :D

But the second chapter's boss is killing me! How do I dodge those insanely cheap puppet attacks? I don't know what you call it but where he wraps you in a puppet casket and transfer you to one of those spiked coffins?

I can't doge them! I almost beat him with my powered up Shanoa but he keeps getting me!

It's getting me mad because it's so damn cheap!

You had to kill the puppets with a really fast attack. It doesn't matter how much damage you do, just the amount of hits you do to the puppets he puts into the coffin.

Cynar said:
You had to kill the puppets with a really fast attack. It doesn't matter how much damage you do, just the amount of hits you do to the puppets he puts into the coffin.
What? I don't get it. So I'm not really damaging him when I hit him?

Is it like that one bad guy in Conan the Destroyer where Arnold broke the mirrors to hurt him?

Cynar

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

Is it like that one bad guy in Conan the Destroyer where Arnold broke the mirrors to hurt him?

Before you get into the iron maiden he creates a little voodoo doll thing that sparkles and then he places it in the iron maiden and once that's placed someone gets teleported inside to get crushed. You have to kill that voodoo doll before it makes it inside the iron maiden or someone is going to get hurt a lot.

He has a visual and audio cue when he is about to do this. Once you finish with the doll he creates go back to beating on him, rinse and repeat.

MrDaravon

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

No, when he's placing a puppet in the coffin you can destroy the puppet before he puts it in, so you don't get placed in it. The puppets themselves just take a certain number of hits before being destroyed, they don't have "HP." IIRC on Normal Solo they take 3 hits before being destroyed.

Cynar

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Okay. I know what to do now.

But he still killed me! :lol

Don't let it get to you, the boss fights can be quite difficult at first especially when you don't know how to deal with their attacks or patterns. Plus getting better equipment or spells help a lot too. :D

Cynar said:
Don't let it get to you, the boss fights can be quite difficult at first especially when you don't know how to deal with their attacks or patterns. Plus getting better equipment or spells help a lot too. :D
It was when he started moving around the screen when I got killed by the puppets.

Couldn't catch up to him on time. But now I know the pattern so the next should be easier.

Also, how do I get those two treasure chests on top of the screen? It's separated in two houses. I know I need to use someone to fly up there. Who do I use?

This game really does a poor job on how to play or use these characters. :(

Scarecrow

If you're playing this solo, it's pretty great for podcasts.

Just got the 1mil gold achievement tonight. It seems like the most aggravating challenge will be 10k kills.

Scarecrow said:

Just got the 1mil gold achievement tonight. It seems like the most aggravating challenge will be 10k kills.
You must've been playing this non-stop to get 1mil gold!

I can't even make enough to purchase items!

And when do I get to get better weapons? Is there something I need to do to be able to buy new weapons in the shop?

Daigoro

Scarecrow said:

i read on another forum that it took someone around 45 hrs to get all of the achievements.

crazy grind. im looking forward to it. :lol

Scarecrow

After you beat normal mode, hard mode unlocks. That means some way cooler stuff in the shops, but even better, the treasure chests give upgraded weapons/armor as well.

The final level is a pretty linear map with a good assortment of chests. I keep getting repeat items that I sold for thousands of gold.

Top Bottom