• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

Wizpig

Scarecrow said:
Some good times were had today! Every hard run needs a combat medic like we had. I still can't decide who to put more time into.
Yeah, the first time we beat Dracula it was the second time i beat the game on hard and i NEVER managed to finish the run alive :mad:

Luckily the third time everyone was alive :D

If you play in 2, maybe even 3 on hard it's still easier... but 4, 5 or 6 players? damn.
Dracula becomes terrible and without a healing Charlotte i honestly don't know how some players can beat him.
At the very least you need some +9999HP potions.

In the next days i'll probably start lost planet 2 with 3 friends but i'll be damned if i stop playing this awesome game :D i also need to get that charm achievement... and, you know, basically start to play with 4 other characters.

Good times anyway.
I definitely need to get some sleep now.

Ridley327

OnPoint said:
Started leveling up a Shanoa today once I got fed up with Alucard's lack of good drops. She's so powerful once you get moving with her.
Shanoa has a really big advantage over a lot of the characters since she can use a lot of the equipment that male characters can nab and she can use a lot of equipment that Charlotte can obtain. You just have to be patient for the weapon drops from the bosses, since she only get two more on top of her rapier. Double Pneuma action is so worth it, though; it's the game's Holy Water.

Wizpig said:
If you play in 2, maybe even 3 on hard it's still easier... but 4, 5 or 6 players? damn.
Dracula becomes terrible and without a healing Charlotte i honestly don't know how some players can beat him.
At the very least you need some +9999HP potions.
Yeah, I play one of those healing Charlotte (maxed spells, top gear + astral ring), and every single time I change characters to try and obtain loot from Dracula, the team dies and falls apart. When people get used to the free heals, they start to suck. :/

It's still fun though. Trying to level up Jonathan, but taking forever even with 2 master rings.

abq

Scarecrow said:
Some good times were had today! Every hard run needs a combat medic like we had. I still can't decide who to put more time into.
I was afraid it was going too be too easy with a maxed out Charlotte using HP instead of mana for spells (basically infinite chain casting), but it turned out to be quite challenging. I, at least, had fun.

theMrCravens said:
Yeah, I play one of those healing Charlotte (maxed spells, top gear + astral ring), and every single time I change characters to try and obtain loot from Dracula, the team dies and falls apart. When people get used to the free heals, they start to suck. :/

It's still fun though. Trying to level up Jonathan, but taking forever even with 2 master rings.
We need more Charlottes so us Charlotte people can use our alts!

Wizpig

Ridley327 said:
His sprite is still terrible after all of these years. :lol
I hear they fixed his "running" sprite that was pretty bad in DoS, but i dunno...

I mean... is that a DS or a GBA sprite?
I only played CotM on the GBA, so i don't know if, in DoS, they just used the Aria of Sorrow Julius' sprite again.
But knowing Konami... :lol

Ridley327

It was definitely his GBA sprite; it stuck out like a sore thumb compared to Soma and Alucard.

The swinging animation is unfamiliar, though; maybe they whipped that one up real quick.

Coldsnap

Charlotte was sick with all those heals today, also I saw her do some attacks and she was dealing like 134 dmg. wtf awesome

abq

theMrCravens said:
How long it took you to max Hellfire from Drac ?
I failed 3 times because of the 30 min timer, with no absorb.
On average maybe 15 min or so per run (includes running through the level). Dunno if the drop rate is higher or not, but I did it on hard (mainly to get gear from chests to sell).

Coldsnap said:
Charlotte was sick with all those heals today, also I saw her do some attacks and she was dealing like 134 dmg. wtf awesome
Summon Gunmen'ing down the boss in chapter 4 was hilarious.

I'm kinda hoping they nerf stuff with the DLC patch.

Things like the Charlotte astral heals/deathscythe combo, the Yatsamuna/Valmingway and some of the souls for Soma.

Any game breaking stuff basically.

OnPoint

Ridley327 said:
Shanoa has a really big advantage over a lot of the characters since she can use a lot of the equipment that male characters can nab and she can use a lot of equipment that Charlotte can obtain. You just have to be patient for the weapon drops from the bosses, since she only get two more on top of her rapier. Double Pneuma action is so worth it, though; it's the game's Holy Water.

You get that from Death, right?

Coldsnap

theMrCravens said:

Things like the Charlotte astral heals/deathscythe combo, the Yatsamuna/Valmingway and some of the souls for Soma.

what is the valmingway?

Mar

This game is the surprise of the year in my opinion. After hearing so much negativity about it I wasn't expecting much, but it's turned out to be one of the better games I've played. In my group of 3 we got up to Dracula but it was 2:30am so we gave up that night. Really looking forward to playing it again.

Wizpig

Are you guys playing the PvP a little?
Is it broken? meaning some characters are too powerful, etc? i just tried one match... an Alucard with soul steal owned us, meh.

abq said:
Summon Gunmen'ing down the boss in chapter 4 was hilarious.
:lol :lol :lol
Myomoto said:
Tsundere Charlotte :lol
theMrCravens said:

I don't know about the Yatsamuna/Valmingway, but don't you think Shanoa w/ double Pneuma is also a little too much powerful?
Maybe i shouldn't say this since i main her. :p
Not game breaking though...

But yeah i agree, they should do some nerfing/buffing and this is another thing i DON'T expect from Konami, unfortunately... meh.
Mar said:
This game is the surprise of the year in my opinion. After hearing so much negativity about it I wasn't expecting much, but it's turned out to be one of the better games I've played. In my group of 3 we got up to Dracula but it was 2:30am so we gave up that night. Really looking forward to playing it again.
Haha, i read "game of the year" and i was starting the usual "hey man, you should play more games...", but surprise of the year?
Thumbs up! i agree.
anotheriori said:
alucard is pretty broken wow
First it was "Shanoa is pretty broken" when everyone got lightning, then in my opinion Alucard, then Charlotte (which is the best character in the game)... this is why i still don't know if Jonathan and Soma are on par with those characters.
Well, i hear Soma with the rocket launcher is pretty powerful... but Jonathan... i guess it shows that i don't know those characters.
EVERYONE is powerful, i guess.

Also, you still need to play as everyone if you want to find all kind of equips, right? ;) so it's pretty cool.

Wizpig said:
Thumbs up! i agree.First it was "Shanoa is pretty broken" when everyone got lightning, then in my opinion Alucard, then Charlotte (which is the best character in the game)... this is why i still don't know if Jonathan and Soma are on par with those characters.
Well, i hear Soma with the rocket launcher is pretty powerful... but Jonathan... i guess it shows that i don't know those characters.

Also, you still need to play as everyone if you want to find all kind of equips, right? ;) so it's pretty cool.

There's some guy streaming right now that has Jonathan equipped with a ball and chain that is doing sick damage to dracula. :lol

As a matter of fact it's a five man team (no duplicate characters) and it seems like they're all nearly maxed out.

Wizpig said:
.First it was "Shanoa is pretty broken" when everyone got lightning, then in my opinion Alucard, then Charlotte (which is the best character in the game)... this is why i still don't know if Jonathan and Soma are on par with those characters.

Yeah.. I thought my Shanoa was pretty buff too.. but I played with a group on hard that had an Alucard (with dunno what equips because I haven't used him yet) that was doing a flurry of sword strikes dealing 50+ each that seemed like cost like to no MP he ran through pretty much everything and took out Death in like 30 seconds or less.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I think I want to play around with Charlotte for a bit now. What spells are considered her best? I honestly don't know anything about this character, other than she's quite useful once you level her abilities up.

Mar said:
This game is the surprise of the year in my opinion.

I agree with this. I honestly had very low expectations, and while it has its share of little quirks that bother me, it's oddly addictive as fuck.

Hige

GuiltybyAssociation said:
I think I want to play around with Charlotte for a bit now. What spells are considered her best? I honestly don't know anything about this character, other than she's quite useful once you level her abilities up.
I highly recommend maxing out Fireball (from bone pillars) and Splash Needle (from merman) ASAP. They're both found on chapter 1, and you can absorb Splash Needle 4 times very quickly near the start of the level if you jump into the "pool" with 4 Mermen before you use a switch to fill it with water.

Fireball has the lowest MP cost of all her spells, and is sometimes more MP efficient than other spells since a fair amount of monsters are weak to fire. Splash Needle is fast, fires 4 shots, and travels until it hits a wall so it's really easy to spam it down long hallways like the bottom of chapter 3 and 4.

I would also recommend maxing Heal (Chapter 4 witch) and Acidic Bubbles (Chapter 4 gargoyle). Acidic Bubbles fires ~7-8 shots in a cluster that have a decent travel speed and rack up a ton of damage, good spell for bosses. Heal can be kind of a pain to max but it's worth it. There's a technique you can use to absorb it a bit more easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM6bI4bxRs4

I don't consider any other spells super important, but Energy Flow (Chapter 4 witch, same ones for Heal) and Summon Gunman (Chapter 5 skeleton) have some promise. Otherwise, just try to absorb spells when you can, since every spell will increase your melee attack power and increase the damage of all your other spells. Example: Heal started off around ~30 HP at level 1, 39 at level 9 and now heals for 60+ with some INT gear and almost all spells maxed out.

Maaseru

Banned
So I'm doing Charlotte now and what a difference. Although I like Alucard overall I only got 3 scrolls and not much else. With Charlotte the game seem smore fun because you know where the spells are the fun or pain is in getting them.

Scarecrow

Trying out a Charlotte myself. To power spells up, do you need to use them a lot, collect duplicates, or etc? Lame that she can't jump kick.

Hige

Scarecrow said:
Trying out a Charlotte myself. To power spells up, do you need to use them a lot, collect duplicates, or etc? Lame that she can't jump kick.

You have to absorb the spell 9 times to max it out (the menu says you only have 8x of a spell if it's a spell that's currently equipped). You can only absorb a spell once per enemy per level attempt, so once you get the spell kill the enemy and move on. Also, make sure you time out, die, or kill the boss to save your progress as exiting the level will not save the spells.

Cynar

Scarecrow said:
That must REALLY suck for the heal spell. I just tried of a bit to get it with no luck.

It's actually not that bad, there's like 4 witches on that level so you can do it in 3 runs solo.

any idea when that dlc is supposed to be out? day 1 :O

Hige said:
I highly recommend maxing out Fireball (from bone pillars) and Splash Needle (from merman) ASAP. They're both found on chapter 1, and you can absorb Splash Needle 4 times very quickly near the start of the level if you jump into the "pool" with 4 Mermen before you use a switch to fill it with water.

Fireball has the lowest MP cost of all her spells, and is sometimes more MP efficient than other spells since a fair amount of monsters are weak to fire. Splash Needle is fast, fires 4 shots, and travels until it hits a wall so it's really easy to spam it down long hallways like the bottom of chapter 3 and 4.

I would also recommend maxing Heal (Chapter 4 witch) and Acidic Bubbles (Chapter 4 gargoyle). Acidic Bubbles fires ~7-8 shots in a cluster that have a decent travel speed and rack up a ton of damage, good spell for bosses. Heal can be kind of a pain to max but it's worth it. There's a technique you can use to absorb it a bit more easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM6bI4bxRs4

I don't consider any other spells super important, but Energy Flow (Chapter 4 witch, same ones for Heal) and Summon Gunman (Chapter 5 skeleton) have some promise. Otherwise, just try to absorb spells when you can, since every spell will increase your melee attack power and increase the damage of all your other spells. Example: Heal started off around ~30 HP at level 1, 39 at level 9 and now heals for 60+ with some INT gear and almost all spells maxed out.

Fireball (50HP dmg) - Cheap and fast to cast and will go full screen
Heal (40-60HP witch stage 4)
Ice Needle (ice ghosts stage 2) - 4 large shards swirl around you as a temp shield then it fires does about 30HP ea and goes full screen
Piercing Beam (green skeleton stage 6) - Close range does like 90 per hit for like 3-4 hits both her and Shanoa can deal alot with this as it casts fast so you can continue attacking it also destroys junk that enemy spawns that can be destroyed.

Acidic Bubbles/Demonseed - is good if you need quick cast for number of hits (Giant knights in stage 6), Demonseed travels full screen and found from the poison plant on stage 2 but is slow moving and some of them will hit the ground etc.
Energy Flow/Ghost Chaser (witch stage 4, beheaded knight stage 6) if you need a spell that will catchy pesky flying things the former does more but travels very short and slowly, the latter will have startup before tracking and does less i think (haven't maxed that yet)

MoxManiac

You guys are tempted me to get this :/

I wasn't terribly impressed by the demo but it's pretty obvious that you need to play multiplayer to get the actual experience and of course the demo offers none of that.

Rad-

MoxManiac said:
You guys are tempted me to get this :/

I wasn't terribly impressed by the demo but it's pretty obvious that you need to play multiplayer to get the actual experience and of course the demo offers none of that.

This game has probably the worst demo out of whole XBLA. By worst I mean it doesn't really show what the game is all about at all.

Myomoto

Finally killed Dracula on hard by myself today. Now I just need to get that stupid 'Grim Synergy' achievement, as well as grind out some more kills towards the 10.000 achievement, and I think I can finally be done with this game until the DLC ships.

Sectus

Charlotte is best character confirmed!

I discovered this randomly... hold up for about 10 seconds and Charlotte will pull back her coat, do a boob jiggle and say "You like that?" :lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Game is awesome, but ultimately disappointing. I don't have any friends that would enjoy playing Castlevania, so I'm stuck playing Single Player alone.

Multiplayer is pretty much like PSO: Race to the finish and don't give a shit about anybody. And since you've been playing this game nonstop since it came out, you already know all the patterns, all the pathways and have all the weapons/magic you need, so fuck whoever is lower level.

I got rushed on stages 1-5 yesterday on a 2 player group on normal. I didn't even know what was going on for the first two stages, then they were nice enough to roll with me (as in, wait for me to get to where they were and follow them). I quit just before the last stage because.. well.. what's the fun in playing Falz and sitting on the corner while somebody else uses the spread needle to kill all 3 forms in 10 seconds?

I added the GAF group, but I believe my experience won't be much different with GAF players. The only stage I actually know how to play is Stage 1.

This game is totally making me want to go back and finish OoE and catch up on whatever needs finishing on the other games.

vg260

Hm, I've been tempted but due to the multiplayer aspect it seems like if you didn't start on day one, you're screwed.

Sectus

2&2 said:
Hm, I've been tempted but due to the multiplayer aspect it seems like if you didn't start on day one, you're screwed.
There's still lots of people playing it.

But well, just get 1 or 2 friends and you're set. Playing with 5 players is a bit overkill in my opinion.

Kaldea

I played through solo and finally beat the game on Normal. I'd love to try Hard with friends but none of my friends want the game and I still only have a Silver account. Never really had a reason to get Gold. :lol

For what it's worth, I loved the game solo and I'll probably keep playing for a long time. But I dunno what I'm missing out on with multiplayer.

Saerk

With Johnathan does his sub weapons level per hit or on a kill. Would it be better to use him on a low act where he can one shot the mobs or on a higher act where it will take multiple casts?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sectus said:
Charlotte is best character confirmed!

I discovered this randomly... hold up for about 10 seconds and Charlotte will pull back her coat, do a boob jiggle and say "You like that?" :lol

More of a "Sexy Strike-A-Pose", but yeah... I DO like that! :lol Alucard will eventually go into his "Rigid stance... Relaxed stance" from SOTN if you do the same, Jonathan poses as if he's about to Henshin, and Shanoa at least says "Hmph!". Soma doesn't take any poses, but he at least makes a sound.

2&2 said:

Only if you play with Jerks and randoms. Some would be very willing to play through the lower levels with an alt character, Or you always have the option of getting a real friend or 2 to buy the game with you.

In a way... I'm glad the game doesn't have a shop/item trade system. Your loots are yours alone! You'll only get items by EARNING them, not just by starting on day one, and getting a master-level sword.

This helps keep people playing, and give even more reason for each person to play everyone.

this game is waaaay better than anything that was shown for it had be believing.

kind of shame they kept pitching it as "yo its mp castlevania!" when they could've told me "yo its castlevania as a loot/grind game!" and i would have been instantly more intrigued.

Top Bottom