• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

Vamphuntr

Spirit of Jazz said:
If this game had the money, time and resources being put into God of Vania then I think it might just have been my favourite in the series. As it stands it's still a very fun venture and taking in mind the shoestring Iga had to develop this with my only complaint is there aren't enough options in matchmaking, adding the ability to search for games taking place on a specific level would make this title perfect for what it is.

Yes lots of options are lacking. Custom search is only about the country preference, Screen setting is only enabling/disabling characters portraits. I played for a good while and I keep getting the same loot over and over.

abq

The first level is pretty straight forward in terms of level design, but the other levels I've played were quite confusing in multiplayer at least.

Cynar

divisionbyzorro said:
So - does anyone know how to get Shanoa to absorb new powers? I've played about an hour and a half and I haven't seen a single glyph appear...

Press and hold up when you see a person casting a glyph

I just maxed out Charlotte, guide on gamefaqs says she doesn't even level up her abilities. :p

Teknoman

About Johnathan, does the Vampire Killer ever upgrade? I see you can level up your subweapons and learn martial arts moves, but are the different elemental whips gone?

Coldsnap

Teknoman said:
About Johnathan, does the Vampire Killer ever upgrade? I see you can level up your subweapons and learn martial arts moves, but are the different elemental whips gone?

I think so, i didn't get any new whips as well from playing.

Vamphuntr

Soma is very difficult to use. Basically every enemies might drop their souls like an item drop (like in DoS/AoS). It takes a while to get good abilities and to level them you need to collect more of the same souls.

Wizpig

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Any chance of having a single player DLC where it adds a narrative to this?

Probably not.

Oh well. It's still fun.
Nope but they have UNLOCK KEYS DLC ready for you.
... i'd like the idea if these (Maria and another character i think) things were free, it'd be so cool to have new stuff after a while, but of course it will be a 400 MS points DLC or something.
JesseZao said:
I understand they want to breakout 3D CV again, but has history taught them nothing?
With nothing less than a God of War clone... but we'll see.

Some GAFfer in another thread explained the CV situation: basically Konami said "IGA, f you" (the last IGAvanias sold poorly or something) and Kojima had his way with the new 3d CV, even if that's from a non-japanese team.
From what I get IGA is close to being fired and, well, i don't know where 2d Castlevania will go.
I hope for the best, i want at least 3 other Castlevania games on the 3DS, but...
Vamphuntr said:
Soma is very difficult to use. Basically every enemies might drop their souls like an item drop (like in DoS/AoS). It takes a while to get good abilities and to level them you need to collect more of the same souls.
I only played as Shanoa (and Alucard in the demo).
I want to try Soma and Johnathan for sure :)

Teknoman

I think Lords of Shadow looks like it'll be pretty cool. Doesnt really seem like a God of War clone (unlike Dante Inferno) and seems more like a game that has things in common with other 3d action adventure titles (DMC, NG, Rygar(?), Shinobi) yet has qualities all it's own.

At least from what i've seen in the trailers and gameplay videos.

EDIT: Didnt know Igarashi was on thin ice, but I would like to see 2d Castlevania under a new director at some point.

d0c_zaius

Thats sad to hear about Iga, if its true.

As for the game, it was one of my biggest surprises at E3 and I was really looking forward to it. Something about the zoomed out map with everything moving just really hit me, like something I always wanted but didn't know it. I wasn't considering the price as a factor at all.

However I'm kinda puzzled by their intentional design decisions: the time limit, the repetitive drops, and the death = back to start. I can understand MP being a design focus, but having it be as difficult as it is solo is disappointing.

How many players are needed at a minimum for a happy game?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I made it to Stage 5 on my first multiplayer playthrough. Fun game when you're playing with other people! Right now, I'm only playing Alucard. For someone who has been addicted to WoW lately, the game actually reminds me of a series of "Instances", only with traditional CV platforming and style.

Do you guys think Iga did this game to test to see if 2D Castlevania can sell on consoles?

Or is it just a desperate attempt to secure his job! :lol

No seriously though, if this does well, hopefully Iga and Konami does more of these maybe with a single player story this time like the DS games and SotN.

Teknoman

Is it just me or do the newer style XBL mics (the wired ones with the large mute switch) output sound at a lower volume than the older ones?

Or is there a setting i'm missing in the 360 system menu?

EDIT: I wonder how many sub weapons/abilities/weapons there are in the game.

This game is awesome multi but I think you need at least 4 to make it work. It's too hard otherwise. And I"m not terrible at these games either.

Worth it if you can find people to play with.

Teknoman

Killa Sasa said:
This game is awesome multi but I think you need at least 4 to make it work. It's too hard otherwise. And I"m not terrible at these games either.

Worth it if you can find people to play with.

Well Chapter 2 onward maybe, Chapter 1 is cake though.

Hahaha, IGA's in no danger of being fired. That's not how Japanese companies roll. The worst thing they'll do to him is put him in a corner and shoot down all of his ideas.

I'll be very surprised if they don't have him working on a 2D Castlevania for the 3DS right now. Very very surprised.

Teknoman said:
Well Chapter 2 onward maybe, Chapter 1 is cake though.

Oh yeah definitely. Chapter 2 is bullshit. Chapter 3 is easier but still would be pretty hard SP, mostly because of the time constraint.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm actually surprised how much I'm enjoying the game. I've been playing with some goons and having a great time. I'm on Stage 4, and hoping to play more tonight. For a game that's been slapped together, it's not bad!

Against ALL better judgement, I went ahead and bought it. quick match is a joke, it spits back Unable To Find Team like probably 90% of the time.

And the other 10% of the time it just endlessly flips the pages on Searching. Won't even let you back out of it.

OnPoint

Son of Godzilla said:
Against ALL better judgement, I went ahead and bought it. quick match is a joke, it spits back Unable To Find Team like probably 90% of the time.

And the other 10% of the time it just endlessly flips the pages on Searching. Won't even let you back out of it.

Sure does. I hate that.

Dartastic

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'll be very surprised if they don't have him working on a 2D Castlevania for the 3DS right now. Very very surprised.

GOD I WANT THAT I WANT THAT I WANT THAT I WANT THAT SO SO SO SO SO BADLY

Edit - anyone know where I can get cheaper points so I can get this game? I think I have 120 points... I obviously need a bit more. =(

Kaldea

I want this, but I don't have a Gold account and I was REALLY hoping for some kind of local co-op. Not sure if it is worth buying for single player alone. The Shanoa and Alucard fans in me really want to justify the purchase. :lol

jaxword

Segata Sanshiro said:
Hahaha, IGA's in no danger of being fired. That's not how Japanese companies roll. The worst thing they'll do to him is put him in a corner and shoot down all of his ideas.

What are you basing those two ideas on?

jaxword said:
What are you basing those two ideas on?
The first is based on the fact that I've literally never heard of a Japanese game company firing anyone. Sakaguchi wasn't fired over Spirits Within, Yokoi wasn't fired over the Virtual Boy, Suzuki wasn't fired over Shenmue, Kutaragi wasn't fired over the PS3, and Itagaki wasn't fired over molesting a female employee. It's just not the way business culture works in Japan. They don't fire people, they shame them.

The second is simply based on the notion that the 2D Castlevania games still bring home a very nice profit for Konami, and that the launch period of Nintendo handhelds in particular have been very very kind to Konami with regards to 2D Castlevanias. It's kind of a no-brainer.

Yuripaw

Banned
I don't know if this has been asked, but for anyone who has bought this game, has it felt worth buying without playing online?

I'd like to get it, but I'm also jobless and poor at the moment. I got the points to buy the game because I had gotten some microsoft points for my birthday that I didn't want, but I don't have any money for xbox live gold, so I wouldn't even be able to play it online.

Yuripaw

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
Can you hook up with randoms in this game for multi, or does it need to be friends?

edit: nm, got my answer a few posts above

I'm pretty sure you can hook up with randoms, I remember giantbomb in their quick look was going over some of the multiplayer functions, they tried searching for games online, but couldn't find any because they were playing before the game came out.

robot

Dartastic said:
Seriously. Anyone know where the best place to get points is?

ebay, but beware of people selling loaded accounts instead of points cards. I managed to find a guy selling 4000 points cards cheap and picked up 2 for $60.

Love the game so far but the characters seem a bit unbalanced. Wanted to try one of the girls but either have any sort of weapons for sale in the shop. Didn't want to rely on glyphs and shit to get new weapons.

Dartastic

robot said:
ebay, but beware of people selling loaded accounts instead of points cards. I managed to find a guy selling 4000 points cards cheap and picked up 2 for $60.

Love the game so far but the characters seem a bit unbalanced. Wanted to try one of the girls but either have any sort of weapons for sale in the shop. Didn't want to rely on glyphs and shit to get new weapons.
I just cracked and bought some normal points. Haha. Just about to start if anyone wants! Gamertag is dartastic!

Loving the game so far, although I had to quit early since the wife got out of work early.

Anyhow, two quick questions...

1. How do you use the water of life? Do you need to just be next to a skeleton for it to activate, or does it have to be equipped?

2. Is there any point to Alucard's mist ability? It only lasts for like half a second. I don't get it's point.

Teknoman

RedNumberFive said:
Loving the game so far, although I had to quit early since the wife got out of work early.

Anyhow, two quick questions...

1. How do you use the water of life? Do you need to just be next to a skeleton for it to activate, or does it have to be equipped?

2. Is there any point to Alucard's mist ability? It only lasts for like half a second. I don't get it's point.

Press RT next to a Skeleton. The option should pop up when its ready. Same for Dual Crash ability (which actually works nicely).

EDIT: Someone needs to rip the soundtrack, because some of the original tracks and remixes are nice. And im sure Konami isnt going to release the soundtrack to the game.

Shanoa is pretty beastly. Get her lightning spell and you'll destroy most everything.

Up to stage 5 now. I bet if I bought some potions I could kill death no problem. I dunno though.

Still soloing. My month of XBL Gold code has not arrived yet.

Daigoro

shitty!

this is honestly the only SOA game i was surely planning on buying and i sent my 360 in for repairs this morning (RROD). well i have it sitting in my queue anyways...

see you in 2-3 weeks then guys (so they tell me). :(

fernoca

Yuripaw said:
I don't know if this has been asked, but for anyone who has bought this game, has it felt worth buying without playing online?

I'd like to get it, but I'm also jobless and poor at the moment. I got the points to buy the game because I had gotten some microsoft points for my birthday that I didn't want, but I don't have any money for xbox live gold, so I wouldn't even be able to play it online.
Well, even though I'm played nearly every Castlevania game (like Simon's Quest, 64, Aria of Sorrow, Curse of Dakness, etc); I've never been a fan of the series per se. I mostly played them (even more the recent ones) because I liked the visuals, and the whole thing about just going through castles, killing creatures, getting items, beating bosses; or trying to since some of the bosse are just a bitch.

So, since 'HD' is mostly that I really enjoy it. Basically you're given 30 minutes to reach to the target boss, how you make it there is your choice. So, since I'm not a big fan of the series and mostly played them to look at the sprites, the enemies, the art and the music and with this I got all that, on a nice $15 package. I'm more than happy with my purchse.

I did played a bit online, and really liked it. But I'll play online as an addition rather than as a main mode. In the end, get the demo and if you enjoy what you play in the demo and imagine yourself doing that multiple times; get the full game.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Segata Sanshiro said:
The first is based on the fact that I've literally never heard of a Japanese game company firing anyone. Sakaguchi wasn't fired over Spirits Within, Yokoi wasn't fired over the Virtual Boy, Suzuki wasn't fired over Shenmue, Kutaragi wasn't fired over the PS3, and Itagaki wasn't fired over molesting a female employee. It's just not the way business culture works in Japan. They don't fire people, they shame them..
You don't shame Itagaki! You just add to his awesomeness by attempting too.

robot said:

Good times last year :lol

Top Bottom