• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - Dead and Loving It!

Yeah...

Ending fight just being Possessed Alucard was fucking lame. No epic giant monster or anything, just Alucard. And then Drac stabs Satan and walks into the sunset.

What happened to this being the grand finale to the LoS series? There was nothing final about it. Satan and Death have been defeated before and just came back no problem. Gabriel is still Dracula. Is he just going to sit around for hundreds of years again so he can fight Satan again is LoS3?
LoS3 will be a TPS taking place centuries in the future where Dracula and Satan battle.

So I just beat the infamous part that folks have complained about. I thought I'd come in here with my updated impressions seeing as I'm told I am about 4-6 hours away from finishing it. None of this has to do with story.

Still finding a lot to like here even though I will more than likely be fitting into the minority, and that's ok. The modern stuff, while feeling a bit different, I don't hate surprisingly. I think its for a few factors. One, it's just different for the series. Let's be honest, modern times is not an era most Castlevania games even touch on, let alone the future. So while these sections disappointed people, I'm enjoying them. Now granted when your in the metal hallways and inner workings at times, it can feel a bit odd. Yet when your in like beaten down buildings, asylums, crypts, and outside looking at the impressive castle vistas. It's awesome. The stealth part, or puzzles if you will, is just a bit odd. The biggest issue with them is that stealth in a Castelvania game just seems off putting, and two, it's just a huge suspension of disbelief that you would take down these huge bosses but then have to hide from the guys with a gun. Otherwise it's a game mechanic put in to add variation when perhaps none was needed. Now the Castle moments, when you go back to the golden ages, is great. Lots of vistas and creepy stuff, with some awesome art, and these areas the game really shines. Not much more I need to say on that at the moment.

Now another big thing this game has going against it that I actually enjoy is the vast difference in setup and pacing. Whereas the first game was this long journey with extremely different levels, and because you were traveling all over on the world map, it gave this grand sense of adventure. More in the likes to something like the Super Castlevania IV map. Now 2, while building upon the combat, has decided to go for the open world style. Something more akin to SOTN yet in 3D, which imo this is the closet we have gotten to a CV game getting to this style in 3D, and I enjoyed Curse and Lament of Innocence but they were severely flawed in that respect. While LoS 2 doesn't get it absolutely right, it does it much better in my eyes then the others. The game also takes place in one location, just like SOTN, a castle. Now the way I look at it, the city IS the castle. So the modern times and the visionary moments. Your seeing two different views. It's like one huge playground to explore. With that being said, the entire game is extremely dark, dank, and gloomy. Long gone are the bright colors, sunsets, rainbows, and other locations like in the first game. So it's a huge contrast to the first. Again, I like this though.

For me, the biggest issues are the reason and design for the included stealth moments. They just feel like they were throwing in there for variation and it comes off feeling a bit sloppy. Yet there are luckily short and overblown at how bad they make the rest of the game. Granted, I understand the frustration people can get from these moments, especially that Argues area. I do think the Camilla one was pretty cool though and made a bit more sense.

So that's my thoughts so far, I've still got a ways to go and form my final video review. I understand completely why some people would find this game a big disappointment, but I also can see why others such as me are really enjoying it. It's sad to see another game in the series release to a mixed consensus, but then again the franchise has been on that side of the spectrum more so then the positive one, so it's something I'm accustomed to, and the series is still alive and well to this day, if that tells you anything.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm stuck at this location, how do I proceed?
It's after Victor's death, I enter the building where the 2nd Acolyte is and am at the area with the 3 Golgoths.

Make sure you get both secrets underneath the area before you proceed. When you get to the right side of the room facing the stair case, use the bat skill on the Golgoth on the left side of the room as he walking away from the stairs. The other golgoth opposite of him will investigate. From here, you have to approach the staircase up, before you reach the first step, activate mist form and move your way up the staircase, past the the third golgoth, and through the door. Your mist form will make you invisible and you'll be able to phase past him.

The biggest probelm with the ending is that
Gabriel told us that he wants to die after killing Zobek and Satan,but instead of doing that he just walks away.
Seems pretty easy to fix,they just need a new ending cutscene.

I also found the final boss disappointing,because
you never fight muscle satan directly.
The second part is not as important,but it would be nice.

Exactly what I want as I mentioned in my proposed "three fixes" a few posts ago :/ Damnit I hope they fix it, the game would retroactively become so much better!
IDGAF about the potential "buy the TRUE ending DLC" controversy potential of this one I would actually buy it for them to fix it.

Levyne

Banned
Remember that supposedly Konami fucked with the ending or something like that. With as slipshod as the ending we got was, I'm inclined to believe it.

Remember that supposedly Konami fucked with the ending or something like that. With as slipshod as the ending we got was, I'm inclined to believe it.

Hmm... Detective GAF should be put on the case...we've already heard enough about the quagmire development cycle though. I agree and believe it could have been a commercial pressure by Konami, the game was already delayed so they had little time to actually flesh out a full resolution but, more than likely, Konami also wanted to have leeway with a potential LOS3.....sad.

Tizoc

Make sure you get both secrets underneath the area before you proceed. When you get to the right side of the room facing the stair case, use the bat skill on the Golgoth on the left side of the room as he walking away from the stairs. The other golgoth opposite of him will investigate. From here, you have to approach the staircase up, before you reach the first step, activate mist form and move your way up the staircase, past the the third golgoth, and through the door. Your mist form will make you invisible and you'll be able to phase past him.

Thanks, managed to defeat
Zobek
just now, where should I GO next?

Voror

I don't care much for the original ending either, even if it does seem to conclude some matters a bit more.

By the way, did anyone find it weird how at the end
Satan just gets stabbed in the chest and dies? I kept expecting him to get back up or something because that's kind of a lame way for the him to out. It felt more appropriate with the way they handled kicking his ass in the first game. I get the Vampire Killer is this great holy weapon, but for Satan to go out like that is so lame.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Pretty sure I'm nearing the end. Just beat
Zobek/Death
and goddamn the art design on that was cool.

I guess I will brace myself for an apparently shit ending.

jett

D-Member
Just finished it.

What an awful fucking game. Considerably worse than LOS1, a monumental waste of time for me, for you and for everyone involved.

A mess.

Maedhros

Damn, I kind of like it >_> I see that I am alone in that

;_;

You're certainly not alone.

Fuck happy endings and open endings. The industry is FULL of them, at least sometimes I want to see some sad endings.

Though, for the case of this game, I was expecting that Dracula would be like "Fuck EVERYTHING, I'm Dracula, I don't care about shit. First I'll kill Satan and then, it's your turn God". A full fledged evil ending.

Ahasverus

I just need 2 more lines of dialogue in the ending. The original one was imo very deppresing. Too much. He doesn't deserve that.

Just finished it.

What an awful fucking game. Considerably worse than LOS1, a monumental waste of time for me, for you and for everyone involved.

A mess.

You're wrong. Many are still enjoying this game (including me). And it's not fucking awful.

jett

D-Member
You're wrong. Many are still enjoying this game (including me). And it's not fucking awful.

That's like, your opinion, man.

But this game really is a disaster, it's almost infuriating to see the wasted potential of a LOS1 sequel. MercurySteam, despite whatever problems they had during development, didn't really fix anything from the first game. Just a waste.

No one is right, or wrong. Though whenever someone does say something is awful. I wonder what truly awful games they have played.

And this is the point where I think it invalidates someones opinion.
What other games did jett find awful?

By the way, quite the disparity from this thread here (taken from Enhanced Steam):

castlevania-los2-scorrui3x.png

The people apparently love it which makes me happy.

It doesn't invalidate shit. Continue to like the game all you want, he is allowed to find the game crap if he wants.

I agree with a lot of impressions who say this game this game is a disappointment, wasted potential, and not up there with the other game and has really bad design decisions.
But saying it's a waste of everyones time and calling it one of the most awful games is plain wrong. It's ridiculous that he even finished the game although he hates it like cancer from the looks of it.

Maedhros

I agree with a lot of impressions who say this game this game is a disappointment, wasted potential, and not up there with the other game and has really bad design decisions.
But saying it's a waste of everyones time and calling it one of the most awful games is plain wrong. It's ridiculous that he even finished the game although he hates it like cancer from the looks of it.

Why is it wrong?

butman

This game, like Lighting Returns, has a big problem. The name behind them. It's a powerful thing. And if you do it wrong, they punish you so hard.

Without the "name" they will be 8/10 games.

Just think about letting it rip in an elevator full of people and pressing all the buttons simultaneously, that basically describes the ending for me.

Still a fantastic game though.

Szadek

This game, like Lighting Returns, has a big problem. The name behind them. It's a powerful thing. And if you do it wrong, they punish you so hard.

Without the "name" they will be 8/10 games.
Does the stupid story,the stealth sections , the boring modern day environments and ending suddenly disappear when you remove the name?

Voror

I think I'll take a break for a while. Come back to those challenges later as I'm having quite a bit of trouble with them, though I suppose that's the point. I really do wish health would restore with each attempt.

i actually like the original ending. would have been much better than what we got with shitty konami interference.

decent game. i enjoyed a majority of it but the modern world portions dampened it considerably and the ending was bad

it's a 6.5/10 for me

Levyne

Banned
I think I'll take a break for a while. Come back to those challenges later as I'm having quite a bit of trouble with them, though I suppose that's the point. I really do wish health would restore with each attempt.

Yeah, pretty dumb to not restore health and magic. At least just let us pay a 1000 exp tax to fill it or something.

Voror

Yeah, pretty dumb to not restore health and magic. At least just let us pay a 1000 exp tax to fill it or something.

Indeed, it just kills momentum and makes retrying things a pain. That would be fine, especially since exp has no real point after you have everything else completed.

Grisby

That rumored cut ending is much better than what is there currently. It's not even an ending really.

I wish the challenges refilled your health and stuff. Kind of a pain in the ass that it doesn't.

edit-^^^^^ Ha.

I do not know ahasversus's source but these two posts are all that I am aware of. So I will tag it rumor:

RUMOR

"Konami changed the ending"

"Original Ending"

RUMOR

Damn, I kind of like it >_> I see that I am alone in that

;_;

Hell no thats wayyyyyy better than the one we have now.
I would have adored that ending for its unique tragedy fitting for Dracula and another cruel chapter of Gabriel's unending life.
It would also supply
Konami a potential revenge storyline (I.E. gunning for God or a CV 2 re-imaging as another poster mentioned) even further for LOS3 if they were diehard to make another one.

Mindman

Stuck again...

I'm at the part right after the mine cart area or whatever it was where you have to jump from one cart to another while avoiding electricity and such, not long after encountering the dudes with guns. I dropped down into a stealth section with two of the big guys in one room and I'm not sure where to go or what to do after turning into the rats?? Can't see any vents or anything...

Indeed, it just kills momentum and makes retrying things a pain. That would be fine, especially since exp has no real point after you have everything else completed.

The least painful way to do the challenges is to have the wolf portal to lead to an area with a magic fountain. I recommend the downtown one, as it is only a minute away from the map room there. Go fill up your magic bar there, even the excess. If you go back quickly to the challenges, you'll have an extra 75% of magic.

Also, make sure to pop a health potion before using the elevator. And never, and I mean EVER bother trying to refill your health or magic using the challenges themselves. Just quit to XMB without exiting the challenge and go back in game. It should load you with your status as you entered the challenge the first time.

Keep in mind if you die during the challenge, your health reverts back to its value when you came in, but your magic stays depleted. If you choose to restart they both stay depleted.

Of course, all this horsefuckery could've been avoided if these cunts just refilled your hp and mp whenever you restarted a challenge.

Stuck again...

I'm at the part right after the mine cart area or whatever it was where you have to jump from one cart to another while avoiding electricity and such, not long after encountering the dudes with guns. I dropped down into a stealth section with two of the big guys in one room and I'm not sure where to go or what to do after turning into the rats?? Can't see any vents or anything...

My guess is that you should distract one guard using bats, and go behind the other to posses them.

ZeroX03

Banned
Of course, all this horsefuckery could've been avoided if these cunts just refilled your hp and mp whenever you restarted a challenge.

This is how it should've been, and if there's a patch it should be fixed to do this.

I'm holding off on doing Prince of Darkness challenges incase it is patched. It's a pain having to quit the game/wolf portal just to get stats. At least you can Dragon talisman cheese sometimes.

Stuck again...

If it's the one I'm thinking of, just
distract one of the guards with bats, possess the other one when he walks over, then walk him over to the door scanner thing to move on. I have no idea why there's a rat puddle in that room, other than to purposely mess with you and make you spend fifteen minutes longer than you need to on that part.

Top Bottom