• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - Dead and Loving It!

Levyne

Banned
Ok, I'm stuck in
City of the Damned... in a large room with lava below, but I can't figure out how to cross to the waypoint I need to reach. There is a wolf gate right next to me, but I don't need to take it... There is a gate that requires a key, but no key around... I searched everywhere...

You want to jump to the
vertical hanging black chains

Voror

Hmm, does anyone know where there is a list of the names of all the Diaries and the names of the entries? I'm at 98% for Lore and am thinking it's one of those since I used the one site which had the names for the memorials, which I've gotten all of.

Finished the game a bit ago though. What an incredibly lame ending. I don't even know if I can call it an ending since the game just sort of stops.
The Satan-Alucard boss fight was a lot of fun, but felt a bit off for the final battle. It would have been cool to fight Satan right after, though I suppose they didn't want to simply do a repeat of the final boss of the first game. There were ways around it of course.

Overall, I'd probably label this a disappointment. I had problems with the first game, but overall enjoyed it and thought that a sequel had a lot of potential. All of which was squandered with this.

The highlights for me were the combat, the boss fights, and the castle in general. The modern day sections just felt off and there is just something a bit silly about running around through sewers and having to wait for doors to open, though I do understand the latter to a degree due to loading areas.

The plot is pretty weak. It's all simple enough, but it's just rather boring. The castle sections have nothing much to do with it really, but I actually found what was going on there more compelling even if I am a bit confused as to how exactly the castle operates in relation to the real world.

The thing is, this could have all worked I think.
The idea that Gabriel was chosen to become this dark lord as a check to Zobeck and Satan isn't a bad idea really, though I'm not sure how one could have resolved it. His death would seem the most logical conclusion to go to. Have Victor or Alucard do it with him accepting it.

I think a set up that could have worked is if the game started out in the modern world like it did, but then had you descending beneath the city into the castle where the acolytes are setting things up for Satan's return. You could still to a degree do all the castle stuff, but also further integrate it into the main plot better than it was.

Anyway, more later I guess when I have more time to think. I guess other than getting that last bit of lore, I'll destroy stuff to finish off the art and complete the challenges. Think I may wait a bit before doing a run on Prince of Darkness difficulty, though I imagine having all the stuff for the new game plus will make it easier.

Levyne

Banned
Hmm, does anyone know where there is a list of the names of all the Diaries and the names of the entries? I'm at 98% for Lore and am thinking it's one of those since I used the one site which had the names for the memorials, which I've gotten all of.

That one site (videogamesblogger?) was the only one I could find with the names, it has the diaries for overlook tower added to that article but that's it so far.

Voror

That one site (videogamesblogger?) was the only one I could find with the names, it has the diaries for overlook tower added to that article but that's it so far.

Yeah, that one helped in tracking down the memorials. I guess, I'll just have to do a search using one of those guides that just shows locations and going off of one's I'm not sure if I got.

dugdug

Banned
Finished it a couple hours ago. Massive disappointment. This was my second my anticipated game of this year.

Ending was fucking terrible. Goddamnit.

Levyne

Banned
Cool, got 110% and the rest of the achievements. Dunno why I did it, been a while since I maxed out a game.

No in game reward that I can tell for 110%.

SO basically the Revelations DLC is all but confirmed what with the file leaks an now Dave Cox's re-tweets directly asking for Alucard DLC lol.

Just....
, for the love of god, fix the ending somehow please!

Levyne

Banned
Watch the dlc be the ending. Kind of a double edged sword, we want the ending, but selling the ending as dlc is always a dick move.

Or watch the dlc be
just Alucard doing whatever before the game, ending up in the liutenant armor.

Zetta

SO basically the Revelations DLC is all but confirmed what with the file leaks an now Dave Cox's re-tweets directly asking for Alucard DLC lol.

Just....
, for the love of god, fix the ending somehow please!

Gotta say I enjoyed the whole game and would give it 8-8.5/10 until the ending came along.
After I saw the ending all I asked was "wait what thats it?!". The ending basically ruined the whole story for me and made everything kind of pointless. Don't even want to give it a score after that ending, gotta wait a month or so until this hatred simmers down. Hopefully they do fix that POS ending or at the very least make it conclusive since it felt so empty.

Voror

Fuck some of these challenges. I think one thing that would go a long way towards getting these done more tolerable would be if you're health actually started at max whenever you tried a new one or retried it. I have no idea who thought that was a good idea not to have that be a part of the design.

And I despise these enemies with guns.

Watch the dlc be the ending. Kind of a double edged sword, we want the ending, but selling the ending as dlc is always a dick move.

Or watch the dlc be
just Alucard doing whatever before the game, ending up in the liutenant armor.

Oh I guarantee it "revelations" revealing what Alucard did while Gabe was asleep...sigh or inter mission sequences following AL as the lieutenant...Honestly i say fuck the ALucard DLC and just dedicate resources to one more hour of the main game resolution.

Gotta say I enjoyed the whole game and would give it 8-8.5/10 until the ending came along.
After I saw the ending all I asked was "wait what thats it?!". The ending basically ruined the whole story for me and made everything kind of pointless. Don't even want to give it a score after that ending, gotta wait a month or so until this hatred simmers down. Hopefully they do fix that POS

Agree wholeheartedly, it really would have taken three fixes imo to repair my perception of the ending:
1. Actually have one last confrontation with Satan (with actual drama) after Alucard. 2. See Marie, Trevor, have any sort of emotional consolation now that Gabe succeeded 3. Epilogue sequence of any sort

I like the game but I would have loved it if they pulled off any of the above...i'm sad :(

Zetta

Agree wholeheartedly, it really would have taken three fixes imo to repair my perception of the ending:
1. Actually have one last confrontation with Satan (with actual drama) after Alucard. 2. See Marie, Trevor, have any sort of emotional consolation now that Gabe succeeded 3. Epilogue sequence of any sort

I like the game but I would have loved it if they pulled off any of the above...i'm sad :(

I agree, this was what I was expecting but when I never saw number 1 happen I was sadden and had a feeling I was going to be disappointed. The ending just really did ruin it for me and it would had been so great had they just followed those three easy steps.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
In the science district, lookin for a cure... At what point is the game suppose to get bad, or less than the really enjoyable it has so far? Should I get nervous?

In the science district, lookin for a cure... At what point is the game suppose to get bad, or less than the really enjoyable it has so far? Should I get nervous?

If you're that far without complaining what a piece of shit game this is (like so many others did before you) I think you're good. The modern day and stealth sections are the worst parts in the game.

Finally got 110%. Can't believe I forced myself through this lol. Just need to beat PoD now.

I feel the game gets even better from there. If you like what you're playing so far, you should be fine. You'll hate the game if you attempt the challenges though.

jett

D-Member
This game is straight up awful. There's nothing to recommend here. I just beat Abaddon. Am I near the end at least?

Levyne

Banned
Finally got 110%. Can't believe I forced myself through this lol. Just need to beat PoD now

I feel the game gets even better from there. If you like what you're playing so far, you should be fine. You'll hate the game if you attempt the challenges though.

The only challenges that I was really, really stuck on was the fourth seal one with the demon you have to only hit while frozen, and the sentinel with the 2 flaming swords.

Luckily, the strategies that I had put together for when I was doing challenges in normal mode were still effective on PoD. Only on PoD there was significantly more relic reliance >_>

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
If you're that far without complaining what a piece of shit game this is (like so many others did before you) I think you're good. The modern day and stealth sections are the worst parts in the game.

K great. The rat sections have literally been seconds long., so I guess I don't really get the hate (at least up till this point). I dont mind the break from the XXXXXXX action for a minute or so every now and then, plus it makes sense in the story context

The only challenges that I was really, really stuck on was the fourth seal one with the demon you have to only hit while frozen, and the sentinel with the 2 flaming swords.

Luckily, the strategies that I had put together for when I was doing challenges in normal mode were still effective on PoD. Only on PoD there was significantly more relic reliance >_>

The best move to freeze that monster is the mist attack, then attack him once with the claws using a high damage move.

The Paladin challenge was straight up bullshit. The cunt can kill in 1-2 hits easily, he has messed up hitboxes, and I swear the timer is F'd up and depletes waaaay faster than 20 seconds.

The protect Trevor challenge is also terrible, both Drac and him can die in one shotgun blast. Absolutely ridiculous. Though I would've finished it in my first try if I knew the correct move to use, I wasted so much time on this one v_v

All in all, I felt the challenges actually got easier as you went further down the list. The requirements got less ridiculous and less strict.

fionel

I really enjoyed playing the prologue, and thought to myself my gosh how much they have improved over the first game! Little did I know, everything just spirals downwards after that :(

Levyne

Banned
Ha, yep! I actually went into the menus and was like "how the fuck do I freeze this fucker...mist....never tried that." It works so well.

Oh yes, the shotguns. That was significantly harder on PoD. Before you could just do the fire dome thing and obliterate stuff, but now half the time that just ended up getting a shotgun blast in the face. I think I ended up just lucking out on it.

For the sentinel, if the heavy guards were around I just tried chaos bombing his sword apart. A much more reliable way seemed to do the hold-x-x-x combo with the whip, and counter his attacks with claws to try to down him quickly.

Overall, I enjoyed the challenge PoD brought

Ha, yep! I actually went into the menus and was like "how the fuck do I freeze this fucker...mist....never tried that." It works so well.

Oh yes, the shotguns. That was significantly harder on PoD. Before you could just do the fire dome thing and obliterate stuff, but now half the time that just ended up getting a shotgun blast in the face. I think I ended up just lucking out on it.

For the sentinel, if the heavy guards were around I just tried chaos bombing his sword apart. A much more reliable way seemed to do the hold-x-x-x combo with the whip, and counter his attacks with claws to try to down him quickly.

Overall, I enjoyed the challenge PoD brought

Did you do the LoS1 trials by any chance? I keep returning to the game for the past 3 years, but I'm barely half done lol.

I still wanna finish them, but I feel the combat will feel super awkward after LoS2. Gotta tough it out I guess.

Levyne

Banned
Actually, no. Just one run through of the story on normal mode. At the time I had a huge backlog and just wanted to move on to the next thing. Now that I'm more or less caught up, I had some time to shoot for extras.

k, I really have to wonder what was going through the designers' heads when they came up with the Space Marines. They're bullshit and not even a little bit fun to stealth around, obviously, but they even destroy the game's fiction. You can apparently grow those things in a lab easy as pie, considering how prolific they are, and every single one of them is ludicrously more powerful than even Satan's Acolytes. Hell, it's not even the guard itself, it's just the gun. Mount those suckers on turrets all over town, point them at every possible exit to Dracula's castle and Satan would never have to worry about him ever again.

Anyway, that second Acolyte fight (
the three dudes at once
) was pretty cool. Gave me some Agni and Rudra flashbacks, though I'm still frustrated at the no-i-frame dodge move. I've been trying to use Mist Form as often as possible, but it just doesn't have that satisfying snappiness that the dodge move has. Honestly, if they patched in some invincibility frames to the dodge I'd enjoy the combat far more.

k, I really have to wonder what was going through the designers' heads when they came up with the Space Marines. They're bullshit and not even a little bit fun to stealth around, obviously, but they even destroy the game's fiction. You can apparently grow those things in a lab easy as pie, considering how prolific they are, and every single one of them is ludicrously more powerful than even Satan's Acolytes. Hell, it's not even the guard itself, it's just the gun. Mount those suckers on turrets all over town, point them at every possible exit to Dracula's castle and Satan would never have to worry about him ever again.

Anyway, that second Acolyte fight (
the three dudes at once
) was pretty cool. Gave me some Agni and Rudra flashbacks, though I'm still frustrated at the no-i-frame dodge move. I've been trying to use Mist Form as often as possible, but it just doesn't have that satisfying snappiness that the dodge move has. Honestly, if they patched in some invincibility frames to the dodge I'd enjoy the combat far more.

The lack of i-frames was a problem since the first game. It's a obviously an intentional, yet very retarded, design choice. I really hate that.

The lack of i-frames was a problem since the first game. It's a obviously an intentional, yet very retarded, design choice. I really hate that.

What makes it worse is that you can actually see Dracula turning into bloody goopy misty stuff when he dodges, yet for some reason he can't phase through attacks. At least in the first game he was just a dude doing somersaults.

this game feels a bit too long. I'm at the part late in the game after I'm chasing some human dude, I just jumped out a window and then had to fight a huge thing with horns that spit acide on the ground and summoned monsters. Anyone know how close I am to the end?

Also, has anyone attempted the challenges on Prince of Darkness? I tried the first one on Hard (whatever the hardest setting is that is available from the beginning), and I got 4 stars on it, but it was pretty damn hard, so I'm not sure if doing it on Prince of Darkness is going to be feasible for me.

How far would you say is the Argues part? I just completed that. Took me probably 15 minutes or so. Really not that bad. Just gotta learn the layout and how to play his game.

this game feels a bit too long. I'm at the part late in the game after I'm chasing some human dude, I just jumped out a window and then had to fight a huge thing with horns that spit acide on the ground and summoned monsters. Anyone know how close I am to the end?

Also, has anyone attempted the challenges on Prince of Darkness? I tried the first one on Hard (whatever the hardest setting is that is available from the beginning), and I got 4 stars on it, but it was pretty damn hard, so I'm not sure if doing it on Prince of Darkness is going to be feasible for me.

You're very close to the end. About 3 hours left depending on if you explore or get stuck on something.

Challenges are very difficult on PoD. Unless you've got something to prove, they're not worth doing. I finished them all though.

These two links were very helpful to me:
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/...shadow-2/227549-kleidos-challenges-guide.html

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672716-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2/68703947

If you need extra help just ask here, and I'll try to answer.

How far would you say is the Argues part? I just completed that. Took me probably 15 minutes or so. Really not that bad. Just gotta learn the layout and how to play his game.

About 4-5 hours left. More than halfway through.

SMZC

Just finished the game yesterday. Shit ending is shit, and the game takes a hit during the modern day eras, but as a huge Castlevania fan, I was mostly pleased. Definitely liked it better than the first, although there is no denying that 1 beats 2 in some important aspects.

Mainly, what I like better about this game revolves around two main points: 1) The gameplay is better; and 2) It has MUCH more of a Castlevania flavor to it than LOS1 (ironic that this is true even with the modern day parts).

As for the gameplay, the combat system is much more solid. At least on consoles, the very fact that this game manages to run at a steady 30fps (as opposed to LOS1's sub 30, abominable framerate) makes combat something to actually consider this time around. 30fps is questionable enough for hack and slash games, but anything below that is just insufferable and game breaking for this genre. Other than that, I found combat much more properly balanced this time around. Not only are you able to predict and see the enemies' attacks and movements much better due to the superior framerate, but things such as the extended window for perfect blocking attacks, although arguably a bit easy this time around, makes combat a much more balanced experience. In LOS1, there was virtually no point in even trying to perfect block, or even in blocking at all, during the huge majority of the game. Rolling from enemy attacks was pretty much the only option, due to the insanely small window for discerning whether an enemy is going to do a normal or an unblockable attack (again, something aggravated even more by the framerate).

As for the story, I really appreciate the involvement of more iconic and important Castlevania figures, as opposed to LOS1, which barely even felt like it was set in the Castlevania universe at all, until the epilogue.
Alucard's presence is always welcome, and although him being Zobek's bodyguard was a lame twist, I liked the one involving him convincing Dracula to be put to sleep in order to finally defeat Satan and Zobek. We have a more traditional Belmont character with Victor (although his role is admittedly short lived and disappointing). We actually get to fight the "Death" of this reinterpretation of the Castlevania universe, not to mention Medusa/Gorgon, and of course, Dracula actually being in this game is something that by itself already puts LOS2 miles ahead of LOS1 in terms of having that Castlevania flavor.

I'm not going to lie, I missed several things from LOS1 in this game (many of these have already been covered, so I won't get into them). but overall I preferred 2. It's not a masterpiece, but it's a quality game, definitely worth checking out, and I can't help but feel that it has received a lot of unfair bashing.

k, just finished it. Man that was a terrible ending. I mean... Jesus.

...Jesus.

But, overall, I don't know, it was alright. From a basic gameplay standpoint I found it much more enjoyable than the first game. Not having to wiggle my analogue stick to make Gabriel behave after a fixed-camera-angle change was lovely, and the much faster, more responsive combat is lovely (still want some i-frames in the dodge, though). The bosses ranged from great to not-so-great-but-still-pretty-fun and I never got tired of fighting guys (which happened very early on in the first game).

On the other hand, those stealth sections range from fucking terrible to claw-my-goddamn-eyes-out dogshit. How did anyone think there was a place for them in a character action game? It's like another development team sneaked in and coded them all in after the game went gold or something. And, while I enjoyed exploring the areas (something that wasn't really possible in the first game due to its fixed camera angles and corridor levels), there really wasn't any defining theme separating one place from another. If I hadn't got lucky and accidentally stumbled upon the Church at the end I might have been wandering around for hours, because that whole city looks exactly the same. I could at least tell the Castle from the City, but navigating around either of those places? No chance.

It feels like they tried to leave the story open-ended to make room for another sequel, but after all the terrible reviews I can't imagine the game's going to sell enough to warrant one, so I'm guessing the Lords of Shadow lore is going to finish on this weak non-ending, which is a real shame. I enjoyed the big revelation of
Alucard's plan
, but the rest of the ending was played so straight and uninspiring. Barely a hint of Patrick Stewart's amazing performance from the first game's climax. It's a real shame.

LaneDS

So after not playing the game for almost a week, I returned to it and found myself stuck at what I think is the second or third rat section. I'm assuming I'm forgetting some obvious move or something. There's a switch I can throw a dagger at, one of those guards, and a few ways rats can run but they seem to end with them getting electrocuted by a stray wire that I cannot seem to get past (even though there looks like a clear objective over it). Any help would be appreciated!

Szadek

Could the DLC fix the awful ending?
The biggest probelm with the ending is that
Gabriel told us that he wants to die after killing Zobek and Satan,but instead of doing that he just walks away.
Seems pretty easy to fix,they just need a new ending cutscene.

I also found the final boss disappointing,because
you never fight muscle satan directly.
The second part is not as important,but it would be nice.

Patch fix for the ending:
Instead of dying like a buster, Satan gets back up again. Gabriel's all "Huh?" and Satan's all, "Bitch, I'M FUCKING SATAN, you can't just stab me to death you moron, check these pecs out". Epic multi-stage fight ensues, Alucard fights by your side in some spots, and the developers add in i-frames to the dodge move in the same patch so you can stay all up in Satan's grill. If you die, you see a cutscene of Satan pulling Gabriel's face off like he did to the Acolyte (God that was awesome).

Only after some Asura's-Wrath-level QTEs does Satan finally succumb, and Gabriel, exhausted and knowing his work is finally done, gives the nod to Alucard to do some Vampire Killing. Touching speech, tasteful redemption stuff, yada yada Gabriel dies.

Maybe Alucard dies too and the family is reunited in Heaven? Or Alucard wanders away, finds that Victor Belmont didn't actually die in that dumb scene and then they bro out in a post-credits thing? I don't know, I mostly just want to fight roided-out Satan :p

The biggest probelm with the ending is that
Gabriel told us that he wants to die after killing Zobek and Satan,but instead of doing that he just walks away.
Seems pretty easy to fix,they just need a new ending cutscene.

I also found the final boss disappointing,because
you never fight muscle satan directly.
The second part is not as important,but it would be nice.

Yeah...

Ending fight just being Possessed Alucard was fucking lame. No epic giant monster or anything, just Alucard. And then Drac stabs Satan and walks into the sunset.

What happened to this being the grand finale to the LoS series? There was nothing final about it. Satan and Death have been defeated before and just came back no problem. Gabriel is still Dracula. Is he just going to sit around for hundreds of years again so he can fight Satan again is LoS3?

Szadek

Yeah...

Ending fight just being Possessed Alucard was fucking lame. No epic giant monster or anything, just Alucard. And then Drac stabs Satan and walks into the sunset.

What happened to this being the grand finale to the LoS series? There was nothing final about it. Satan and Death have been defeated before and just came back no problem. Gabrielle is still Dracula. Is he just going to sit around for hundred of years again so he can fight Satan again is LoS3?
LOS 3...IN SPACE!!!
Anyway,the problem with Zobek and Satan is that we don't know the rules for their immortality.
Is it even possible to kill them permantly?If so how?

Tizoc

I'm stuck at this location, how do I proceed?
It's after Victor's death, I enter the building where the 2nd Acolyte is and am at the area with the 3 Golgoths.

Hobohodo

Hey guys anyone able to help me out? I'm stuck in the modern day section just after you get the chaos claws.
making my way to the science district to find a cure and I have just got to an area where I had to kill a bunch of monsters around what looked like some sort of fountain but now I can't work out how to proceed. The only way out appears to be jumping up some electricity boxes I'm the corner but the one box keeps on sparking and so Dracula can't grab on to it. I guess I need to turn it off somehow but I'm not sure how.

AHA-Lambda

Finished it a couple of days ago and must say I really quite enjoyed it, so much so I basically blasted through it last saturday; and I don't remember the last time I did that with a game, probably Arkham City.

Some complaints & comments I'd like to mention though to be fair:

The stealth sections are dumb, yes, but hardly game breaking stuff. Even Agreus took me about 15 mins.

If I had a personal complaint, I'd say the difficulty curve is a little uneven and does ramp up quite a bit I felt by the last 1/3. I had to lower the difficulty for one boss cos the preceding fights left me feeling rather under equipped. And the last boss I admit to using some cheap tactics.

I did not appreciate the way mana was handled in this game, considering how mana is needed for much of the exploration and traversal as well as combat, I felt here should have at least been a small pool of it that regenerated, even if just for the purposes of the platforming. Getting half way through an area to run out of mana to then try and find more is incredibly frustrating.

Once again, like the first game, Patrick Stewart giving a bad performance is something to behold; he seems bored out of his mind! And he has a far lesser role than in the previous instalment, I really think he didn't want to do this.

Also, the ending was definitely lame as everyone has said, very anticlimactic.

Nevertheless, I really enjoyed it. It's simply a well done action adventure title. Great combat and platforming, an enjoyable story with some stand out moments (
love the toy maker part
), I thought the castle segments were very well done, (the modern stuff is schlock and you should just take it for what it is I admit). It's my fav game of the year so far and it's only got a meta score of about 60, go figure.
Still think the first is the better game, even with its pacing issues, as I felt that game had a better sense of going on an epic adventure/journey than this one did.

Top Bottom