• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - Dead and Loving It!

You guys are seriously bumming me out with the story remarks. I'm about to start the game tonight, and while I'm pretty positive that I'll be happy with the gameplay, the story was what I was most thrilled about.

haha, why thank you :) I'll try not to. I see a lot of stuff I disagree with, but I don't really like getting into arguments so I'll steer far away from those. I like to be friendly :D

You'll survive :p

On topic, I got the game but with all the controversy im hesitant to even install it.

Doesn't help that i also got other stuff.

It's definitely worth a playthrough, as long as you go in with low expectations regarding the story. Stealth segments are annoying but easy, and if you get frustrated watch a walkthrough on yotube, that's how I got past a specifically annoying segment. The game is fun (for the most part) and it looks and sounds amazing.

steven28

I finished the game yesterday and i'm pretty disappointed with it,it has some great elements but it has a lot of very average parts as well.

+Great castle environments.
These sections were my favourite part of the game,they look very impressive as well especially the void sword room.
+Good combat.
The combat was really satisfying for me,i really liked the weapons especially the chaos claws.
+Boss fights.
Excellent variation of bosses i really enjoyed most of them..i was very impressed with the
toy maker section.
-The modern day sections.
These felt like a total waste of time,especially the stealth segments.The team should have done away with this modern concept from the start and just concentrated on making the castle the main focus of the game..i feel like they wasted their time making the city when they could have spent that time making the castle so much larger.
-The story.
I don't even know what to say about the ending,completely disappointed with it..although i found
dracula's internal struggle
very well done.

If i had to score it i'd give it a 7.6/10

One of the most dissapointing aspects of the story/cutscenes was
Alucard wearing that dumb fucking suit as Zobek's aid. His blue coat and armor is badass as fuck and I would loved to seen it in more than just one cutscene :/

Use mist form to get over long stretches of leaves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJeb0bg9ZMU

Yeah, I made it finally. I actually made it to the switch my first try and got the gate open. But then I got speared and it took me a billion tries to make it again. I felt like I was surely not doing it the way they intended. They told me I could ring the bells as distractions, but the dude didn't really go for that bullshit.

What the fuck is this sneaking through a garden with noisy leaves section? I am about to smash my controller.

That part was such dogshit. Like the other poster mentioned you have to mist your way through it.

I don't even get that part though. Why didn't he just straight out fight you? They seemed to just insert that crappy stealth puzzle section in there for no real reason. =/

Violater

I absolutely hate when games takes a character who is supposed to be powerful as hell and then strip away their powers just to lengthen and make the game difficult.

Tohsaka

Is it worth it to leave QTEs enabled? The first thing I did was turn them off, and I'm not too far in the game yet. I read that you get more XP if you leave them on and do them perfectly, but if the amount is negligible I'd rather just leave them off.

Is it worth it to leave QTEs enabled? The first thing I did was turn them off, and I'm not too far in the game yet. I read that you get more XP if you leave them on and do them perfectly, but if the amount is negligible I'd rather just leave them off.

IMO it's much more fun with them off. You can actually watch the cutscenes and not have to worry about pressing a random button a random time you might not be ready for :p

deim0s

Turn QTEs off.

Because of this feature, the game gets an additional half-star rating from me

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Yea... I'm done. At the end, wandering around aimless fighting the same fucking enemies I have been fighting all game who also happen to be annoying as hell. A mess, this game. First buyers remorse I have felt for a game in a long time, I think.

Levyne

Banned
When blazing through PoD mode and skipping scenes, things go really quick. I think I am at 5 hours and just defeated (late game boss)
Zobek
. Only places I even struggled a little was
Raisa's second fight
and the
second stage of the second acolyte fight.

Voror

Huh, where do you get the last rune for the Kleidos challenges? Looking at the world maps for both areas, it shows me having found everything so I'm not sure where it could be. Do you perhaps gain it after doing all the other challenges?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just beat the Gorgons boss. Damn Dracula's blood be some mad mojo... He's one seriously guilt-ridden vampire if his blood be manifesting up some voodoo like that.

This game... Some great bosses, stunning graphics and one of the best combat systems of previous gen

Taking my time with the game, just did the train sequence. That was a bit nuts. Still enjoying the modern day stuff, call me crazy. Stealth stuff is still... why? Rat parts are fine for me as well. So far, so good.

Even with powers, I sure as hell never felt like Dracula. That's for damn sure.
My biggest gripe with the game.
When blazing through PoD mode and skipping scenes, things go really quick. I think I am at 5 hours and just defeated (late game boss)
Zobek
. Only places I even struggled a little was
Raisa's second fight
and the
second stage of the second acolyte fight.
I died more times fighting the first boss in LoS1 than I did in the entirety of LoS2. Unsure what to make of that, cause it didn't really feel easier.

John Harker

Even with powers, I sure as hell never felt like Dracula. That's for damn sure.

Why? I feel the opposite. Super nimble, visceral, and grotesque. I just ripped out the still beating heart of a giant three headed snake woman with a flaming fist tornado and held it above my head till it bled out. Oh this is after I had to slit my own wrist to open the door in.

Veal

The original story being bad doesn't make this good, vice-versa. It's just as bad, if not worse and cliche as fuck.

How many Belmonts? Simon, Trevor, Cristopher, Leon, Richter, Julius... am I forgetting someone?

Juste Belmont. Technically John Morris and Jonathan too.

ironcreed

Banned
Why? I feel the opposite. Super nimble, visceral, and grotesque. I just ripped out the still beating heart of a giant three headed snake woman with a flaming fist tornado and held it above my head till it bled out. Oh this is after I had to slit my own wrist to open the door in.

Yes, you can thwart even Satan himself, but somehow can't fight dudes that look like the Strogg from Quake. And for every time that I got put into an environment that fit the bill, I got took straight out of it and was running around an industrial area fighting gas mask goons with guns and looking for an antidote in a pharmaceutical plant. Hardly the stuff one envisions when thinking of the lord of vampires. But that's just me.

Voror

Ah, found it. Odd that it and a shrine weren't part of the count it seems. Just the final boss to go I think.

On a side note, I'll be getting the art book tomorrow it seems. Looking forward to flipping through it, though I'm sure I'll see quite a bit what you can collect in the game inside.

Levyne

Banned
PoD run finished. Once you skip cutscenes and know all the stealth parts seems you can beat the game in 6 hours, probably fewer if you were really booking it.

Levyne

Banned
Gotta do challenges. I completed them on normal but have to do them again on very hard. Hopefully not too much trouble....

Yes, you can thwart even Satan himself, but somehow can't fight dudes that look like the Strogg from Quake. And for every time that I got put into an environment that fit the bill, I got took straight out of it and was running around an industrial area fighting gas mask goons with guns and looking for an antidote in a pharmaceutical plant. Hardly the stuff one envisions when thinking of the lord of vampires. But that's just me.

The game is full of unfathomably crap game design like this. "You're no match for them, Gabriel!" Why the fuck not?

"Because the game designers really wanted to shoehorn in some ill conceived stealth sections to the complete detriment of the game, Gabriel!"

Same thing with the bullshit game of tag you're forced to play with Agreus for no reason.

I loved the sense of journey in the first one. The sense of scale and the vistas and the environments blew me away.

This is what I loved most about LoS1, and it's what I find most sorely missing from the sequel. I loved how the first game just kept throwing new, varied environments at you. It really felt like you had trekked across a huge kingdom on an epic journey. When they first announced that LoS2 would be an 'open world', I feared it would feel 'small', and it does.

Gotta do challenges. I completed them on normal but have to do them again on very hard. Hopefully not to much trouble....

Not much trouble he says
706vzlr.gif
706vzlr.gif
706vzlr.gif

I finished the first 9 on PoD, not looking forward to the rest. They broke me...

John Harker

I haven't finished it yet so maybe I'm missing some big twist or something, but all the castles stuff is Dracula internalizing and personifying his own demons, spending time with the son he never got to raise and fighting his own guilt (the blood that keeps whispering to him and curropting his former minions) So of course he can be a badass, he's reliving his memories in order to regain his old powers in The new world. The modern day segments is the 'Real game' - and Dracula is weak as a newborn as it's been 1000 years since he drank human blood. He can't take on modern technology yet, so he's got to be sneaky till he regains his strength, and forgives himself for killing his son (baby Trevor helping him fight his guilt in his memories to regain his strength in The real world).

Anyway that's why he has to manipulate lesser beings like rats and bats and whatnot in the real world, at least initially.

Anyway, it all makes sense to me that way from a story perspective.
I wasn't expecting this direction, but since I was a big fan of LoS1 and the lore of MoF and the character of GabrielDracul, so far I've really been enjoying it.

Implementation of some of the ideas can be better...
But I dont hate the ideas.

Foffy

Banned
You guys are seriously bumming me out with the story remarks. I'm about to start the game tonight, and while I'm pretty positive that I'll be happy with the gameplay, the story was what I was most thrilled about.

Prepare for that thrilling desire to enter a crater and never escape.

Beat the game last night..Being my most anticipated game for over a year, as one of LOS 1 ardent crusaders.....All in all if you treat it
AS IT SHOULD BE
the sequel to LOS and its conclusion its a fitting end with marks of brilliance but ultimately like its predecessor a flawed gem, a shadow of its predecessor in many regards while shinning brighter than it progenitor at it best segments. If only it was delayed a little more...I mean
that ending fizzled wtf ....supremly dissapointed it had so much good characterizantion/plot going for it during the first 2/3rds what happened!? literally could have salvaged the entire perception of the game for me if they pulled off the ending with some genuine emotion (say Marie and Trevor psychological phantoms walking with Gabriel away to heaven after Alucard gives him his eternal rest.....not difficult to write really)
but alas hopefully the DLC will somehow repair its epilogue wrongs?

Any way to turn off the crappy minimap in the upper right corner of the screen? It make me crazy...i hate the annoying hud in almost every games.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Started this last night. The Dracula's castle sections are great (even though the graphics look worse than the original game), but the modern sections are.. yeah. Still, I like it so far.

John Harker

Started this last night. The Dracula's castle sections are great (even though the graphics look worse than the original game), but the modern sections are.. yeah. Still, I like it so far.

How are the graphics worse?
The characters look amazing and the scale is still huge.

The art on the ther hand....
Is not as consistent mind blowing as the first.

jett

D-Member
The
Carmilla
boss fight was pretty cool, even if nothing about it makes a lick of sense. Of course the game boots me into the modern world immediately after. Goddamn you game. How long am I from the end? Is it going to be like this the entire game?

p.s. It's so obvious that
Zobek's lackey is Alucard. Why bother with these shit-twists. I like how he left suddenty, as if his home planet called him. :lol Man, this game is such a mess.

Dantis

So I'm just going to
get the antidote for the ugly flirty demon with lots of teeth
. I got seen three times in a stealth section and turned the game off. At what point does the game get good? I heard it gets better, but I'm hating it so far, mostly because of the modern stuff.

Graphics are incredibly nice, on the plus side, and some of the castle sections are good.
Chupacabra
is very charming this time around.

Levyne

Banned
So I'm just going to
get the antidote for the ugly flirty demon with lots of teeth
. I got seen three times in a stealth section and turned the game off. At what point does the game get good? I heard it gets better, but I'm hating it so far, mostly because of the modern stuff.

Graphics are incredibly nice, on the plus side, and some of the castle sections are good.
Chupacabra
is very charming this time around.

The middle chunk of the game is generally the best. From the (early boss, monster type)
Gorgon
through the (mid-late boss, also a monster)
Abaddon
or so. Though the game suffers whenever you are in the city due to cramped hatches and shotguns...

When I say monster type, I mean that these bosses aren't characters, it's like me saying "Griffin" (there is no griffin)

Peff

The
Carmilla
boss fight was pretty cool, even if nothing about it makes a lick of sense. Of course the game boots me into the modern world immediately after. Goddamn you game. How long am I from the end? Is it going to be like this the entire game?

p.s. It's so obvious that
Zobek's lackey is Alucard. Why bother with these shit-twists. I like how he left suddenty, as if his home planet called him. :lol Man, this game is such a mess.

What's especially hilarious about it is that it's the second time
the celebrity voice cast gives away the twist, and the same one too. At least here Richard Madden has a filter, in Mirror of Fate it was the same voice period.
. I think that part is halfway-ish, but it starts getting better from there, or at least more eventful.

Done. That was the worst game I've played in a long time. I'm usually not super critical of games. If I were a critic I would be one of those annoying ones with a 7-10 scale. Not for this game. Garbage through and through and worse than the first game in every way (other than that PC 60FPS goodness).

I can't believe how limited the enviroments are compared to the first game. The castle was very cool looking, everything else was bland as all fuck.

What a shit ending.

Maedhros

Juste Belmont. Technically John Morris and Jonathan too.

Juste, ok... But John and Jonathan are from another family, so no. This family herded the Vampire Killer for some time after Richter. After some time on their hands, Julius Belmont came and took it to the Belmonts again.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
How are the graphics worse?
The characters look amazing and the scale is still huge.

The art on the ther hand....
Is not as consistent mind blowing as the first.

PS3 version somehow looks worse than the original on PS3. Still, so far it's a pretty decent game besides the dull as shit stealth/rat sections.

Z3M0G

Ok, I'm stuck in
City of the Damned... in a large room with lava below, but I can't figure out how to cross to the waypoint I need to reach. There is a wolf gate right next to me, but I don't need to take it... There is a gate that requires a key, but no key around... I searched everywhere...

Top Bottom