• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

mattiewheels said:
Argh, this game is frustrating since I'm really intrigued by the conversational aspect and the Murakami surrealness, and those parts of the demo were great, but I really got tired of pushing blocks fast. The fact that this is most of the game makes me really hesitant.

Exactly how I feel.

S. L.

mattiewheels said:
Argh, this game is frustrating since I'm really intrigued by the conversational aspect and the Murakami surrealness, and those parts of the demo were great, but I really got tired of pushing blocks fast. The fact that this is most of the game makes me really hesitant.
haha actually this is the perfect combo for me,
murakami + time constrained hard puzzling.

I can't wait. Preordered the Love is Over edition based on all the great impressions and the videos I've seen so far. Couldn't download the demo because of my stupid bandwidth cap. :( But I'm not worried in the slightest about the game's quality.

mattiewheels said:

well, they're nightmares :) . tho i don't have them, myself, i can imagine that being caught in a recurring nightmare would likely be equally intimidating, not to mention 'unpleasant'. &, as someone who hates timed anything in games, that's the way i've decided to approach it - i'll just be living the nightmare :) ...

Kurtofan

Volcynika said:
Hasn't been announced for Europe at this point. So no one knows, and no publisher has mentioned trying to get the rights to bring it to that region.
:( Ok, is it at least compatible with PAL Xbox360?

Gentlemen, which way do you all swing on the whole Deluxe Edition versus Special Edition issue.

Money is no object since I am filthy rich, or at least am well enough off that 20 ducats is nothing to me, so the issue comes down to a question of bulk. The closet dedicated to my gaming paraphernalia is growing short of space and that Deluxe Edition box is quite bulky. Not to mention that at the end of the day it is just a fancy cardboard box containing a shirt and undergarments that will never see use.

So, the whole endeavour seems quite pointless outside of the novelty factor, and the fact that Atlus games have a very limited run so their special editions grow to be a valuable part of your collection given a few years.

Still, I would much, much prefer the route of special packaging for the actual game box itself when it comes to special editions. Take, for an example, CAPCOM's tendency to put out very fancy looking tin boxes for their special edition, which accomplish being special without taking up any unnecessary space on your shelf.

What says you?

Volcynika said:
Hasn't been announced for Europe at this point. So no one knows, and no publisher has mentioned trying to get the rights to bring it to that region.
Ghostlight have hinted about wanting to go for Catherine, but considering their size I've a feeling they'll be a last resort for Atlus.

Kutofan said:
Currently Atlus have not specifically commented on it whereas they've mentioned about the PS3 version being region free. I think it's safe to assume it will be locked.

Ken

I'd definitely prefer special packaging for the game case itself rather than large boxes that don't fit anywhere.

The Catherine Deluxe Edition doesn't look too big though from the unboxing video. Seems smaller than the Atelier Rorona LE. Would I personally buy it? Nope, none of the extra items interest me at all. Art book and OST are fine enough.

ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
What says you?

My response? I don't want it or need it. I mean it looks cool for collector's and what not. As I get older I find collector's editions that aren't full on soundtracks bundled with artbooks isn't what I want. Not to mention the whole collecting thing isn't for me, I just want to play the game and keep that extra $$$ not spent in my pocket.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Volcynika said:

Who are the publishers in Europe who published the previous Atlus games?

I know Square Enix published Persona 4 and Koei published Persona 3.

Zafir

ULTROS! said:
Who are the publishers in Europe who publish Atlus games?
There's been quite a few. Ghostlight, Koei, Square Enix, Namco Bandai, Nintendo, Rising Star Games, and that's not even all of them. A good percentage didn't even get published in Europe.

ULTROS! said:
Who are the publishers in Europe who publish Atlus games?

Ghostlight has published some of their games. They held a poll asking people what games they wanted brought over and Catherine won that

http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/the-public-has-spoken

[GL] Ross says:

@abba Unfortunately I'm not allowed to talk about Catherine at the moment. We are aware of everyones interest in it though.

That's from the comment section.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Fimbulvetr said:
How so?

Did you think it was boring?
Me getting sick of the blocks is a combo of being bad at those kind of spatial puzzles and just wishing that these sections were a smaller part of the game. It just wasn't that fun to me.

I really like what they're doing with the story though, and I like how the nightmares are a metaphor for the events in your life. They make a lot of sense that way. They seem to be trying a lot of interesting things with this game and it really intrigues me.

Vally

Importing PS3 Love is over edition, can't wait!

I loved the gameplay in the demo, even if I'm not a big fan of puzzle games. Too bad I've already been spoiled big time, thanks to some asshole facebook "friend" who started uploading very spoilerish pictures, but I hope I can still enjoy the story anyway.

NichM

Banned
Kurtofan said:

The North American release of Catherine on Xbox 360 is specific to this region, like the vast majority of Xbox 360 games. Only the PS3 version is region-free.

SOME-MIST

I'm very excited for catherine! Even moreso now that I understood the dialogue in the demo as opposed to the japanese demo.

It appears as if the gameplay is a humorous take on the "falling block puzzle genre" with you being the one to fall if you mess up.

Nemesis_

NichM said:
The North American release of Catherine on Xbox 360 is specific to this region, like the vast majority of Xbox 360 games. Only the PS3 version is region-free.

I think you'll find a majority of games aren't region locked on Xbox 360 though. It's becoming less and less commmon.

But these gems typically do get locked, which is a shame. We will see either way.

I really wanted this on 360 but I may just need to settle on PS3 if all goes wrong =(

Volcynika

Nemesis556 said:
I think you'll find a majority of games aren't region locked on Xbox 360 though. It's becoming less and less commmon.

But these gems typically do get locked, which is a shame. We will see either way.

I really wanted this on 360 but I may just need to settle on PS3 if all goes wrong =(

I'm not sure if you might not have completely understood him, but NichM works for Atlus, so he knows for sure.

Vally

Another review has come out

Official Xbox Magazine - 8.0

OXM said:
Outside of the love-it-or-hate-it puzzles, it’s everything else you do in-game that makes Catherine so deliciously unique. [...] There’s so much cleverness afoot that when paired with the game’s real-world setting, it makes for a tale that’s never really been told before in a game. And it’s a blast to participate in, even if you’ll chafe a bit at the one-dimensional nature of Vincent’s love interests or the somewhat dudebro-skewed view of Catherine’s world.

brb

Holy hell did I love the demo!
Will for sure be picking this up sometime down the road.

C > K
and y'all know it ;)

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
OXM said:
somewhat dudebro-skewed view of Catherine’s world

How can something be 'somewhat dudebro'? How does a psychosexual block puzzler that predominantly uses the colour pink in its production design skew that way? Does this word mean what they think it means? So many questions, so few answers.

From the UK here - I've never imported anything before..

If I order Catherine from VGP I'm going to have to pay import duty, right? I can recall there being a threshold but I think £40 is too much..

S. L.

MarshMellow96 said:

If I order Catherine from VGP I'm going to have to pay import duty, right? I can recall there being a threshold but I think £40 is too much..
chances are pretty low that you'll have to pay customs for VG+ shipments

... for one reason or another

sonicmj1 said:
New trailer is out, putting the gameplay firmly in the spotlight. Shows off some later-game mechanics, as well as co-op and versus modes.

Climb or Die!
I loved the demo and the the levels in the trailer look like they get much more difficult and intense. I can't wait until next week!

D2M15 said:
How can something be 'somewhat dudebro'? How does a psychosexual block puzzler that predominantly uses the colour pink in its production design skew that way? Does this word mean what they think it means? So many questions, so few answers.

I think the reviewer is implying that the views of Vincent and his friends and the sexualised nature of the game is for lack of a better word 'ladish', geared toward guys.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Appollowexx said:
I think the reviewer is implying that the views of Vincent and his friends and the sexualised nature of the game is for lack of a better word 'ladish', geared toward guys.

Oh, I know what he's saying, I just think it's a spectacularly bad way to say it. Not to mention an odd thing to call the game out on when it's a deliberate plot point.

MarshMellow96 said:

PlanetAxel is a better choice, they ship from an EU warehouse so that you don't get any import taxes. VGP mark down, but it's worth the extra few pounds to avoid even the tiny risk of being caught.

However if you want the artbook and CD you might be too late if you order the standard edition from them, they removed the bonus notification ages ago. The Love is Over edition is the only one you are guaranteed to get it with now.

Azure Phoenix said:
PlanetAxel is a better choice, they ship from an EU warehouse so that you don't get any import taxes. VGP mark down, but it's worth the extra few pounds to avoid even the tiny risk of being caught.
I've never heard a single report of someone getting caught from VG+. Not a single one.

S. L.

toythatkills said:
I've never heard a single report of someone getting caught from VG+. Not a single one.
they ship in normal bubblewrap envelopes without tracking which essentially is a free pass in most of europe

Top Bottom