• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catherine |OT| Sheep, Matrimony, Terror - Love Is Gone

An-Det

Playing on Normal, I've finished through Night 3 and the
monster that shoots hearts and eats me with its ass-face
. Loving it so far, even though I'm getting my ass handed to me at times. So fucking good.

casiino

Neo Member
FateBreaker said:
How much of a delay?
I should be getting it tomorrow. I`m not crying over one day, but I did select release date delivery for a reason. anyone who got any length of delay should check it out.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
4-1 mind fucked me, but 4-2 I beat easily and had a blast. I'm not afraid of the rest of the game. And Rapunzel is really damn hard.

Tain

Sorry if this has been covered, but what exactly are the differences between Easy, Normal, Hard, and the original unpatched Japanese counterparts of each? Long story short, is there a way to play this that resembles the original, unpatched Normal mode? I'm usually very curious about this sort of thing.

Fucking hell, Night 4 is killing me on Normal. This game is NOT 420 friendly lol. I feel like an idiot but I think I'm going to have to bump it down to Easy. :( Sigh.

B-Dex

I like how Best Buy US used the alternate cover but Best Buy Canada used the regular art.....

Canada wins?

Game is pretty fun so far. Probably gonna start kicking my ass soon.

Papercuts

Tain said:
Sorry if this has been covered, but what exactly are the differences between Easy, Normal, Hard, and the original unpatched Japanese counterparts of each? Long story short, is there a way to play this that resembles the original, unpatched Normal mode? I'm usually very curious about this sort of thing.

I don't actually know, but I've atleast heard you couldn't undo a move on Normal in the JP version and you can now. There's also a drink that lets you jump up blocks that I heard wasn't in the game before, but I also heard it's only on Easy and I've found it on Normal.

Volcynika

Papercuts said:
I don't actually know, but I've atleast heard you couldn't undo a move on Normal in the JP version and you can now. There's also a drink that lets you jump up blocks that I heard wasn't in the game before, but I also heard it's only on Easy and I've found it on Normal.

The drink to jump blocks was in the JP version on Normal too, for reference. At least post-patch. Couldn't undo moves in it though.

Knuckleruckamus

Neo Member
Man, oh man.

Tried the game on normal and went through the first and second night and then realized what I didn't like about the puzzles wasn't the speed/cleverness required but the fact that the controls get a little gummy at times. Found it pretty tricky to orient myself when partially hidden and also having the controls always relative to Vincent is rough.

I'm sure practice would alleviate those issues but I also realized that what I'm most curious about is the story and not the puzzles soooooo Easy it is.

My blood pressure will thank me.

Kyon

Banned
before i buy, does the game have replay value after beating it? like NG+ or extra stuff like that? Also how long is this game on an average playthrough?

Ribbon

Thought I would be cool and try the game on Hard.

Third night has me punching the wall.

Edit: 40 some retries later beat it

Volcynika

Kyon said:
before i buy, does the game have replay value after beating it? like NG+ or extra stuff like that? Also how long is this game on an average playthrough?

Multiple endings and a couple of side stuff like Rapunzel, Babel, etc.

Papercuts

Volcynika said:
The drink to jump blocks was in the JP version on Normal too, for reference. At least post-patch. Couldn't undo moves in it though.

Were you able to undo moves on Easy before?

Finally got my copy this evening. Played for about an hour and a half. So awesome! Travis Wilingham, Troy Baker, Yuri Lowenthal, and Liam muthaflippin' O'Brien = me on cloud 9.

Side question: is Sonny Strait voicing any of the sheep? I keep thinking he's in this game.

Dedication Through Light said:
I wish the txt msgs were voiced. It would have added so much more impact from them.

I sorta like how that works, just like in real life where you have to guess someone's tone.

cj_iwakura

Who's the only place open at 10:30 that had it? That's right, Walmart.

Well, at least I can differentiate between the JP and US versions. :p

Apparently trophies are linked between US and JP.

That means... diving right into hard mode!

Anybody who's on the fence over this being a puzzle game:

Yeah, it seems like a weird choice to tell a story with. But hey, treat it like it's Japanese Portal!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
KingHenrik30 said:
so what's the consensus here - 360 or PS3 or it doesn't matter?
PS3 if you like uncompressed video. I hear there is compressed audio in the 360 version too but someone with a better set up should confirm this.

cj_iwakura

Also, Easy did have Undo before. Normal didn't.

And the art book has no spoilers. Browse worry-free.

I like the wordiness of it. Makes it a little meatier than the JP artbook, which had almost nothing.

InfiniteNine said:
PS3 if you like uncompressed video. I hear there is compressed audio in the 360 version too but someone with a better set up should confirm this.

Not really an A/V purist

What about controller preference? PS3 d-pad seems superior but I have the newer 360 controller with the adjustable d-pad as well.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
KingHenrik30 said:
Not really an A/V purist

What about controller preference? PS3 d-pad seems superior but I have the newer 360 controller with the adjustable d-pad as well.
Honestly the adjustable one isn't much of an improvement and is prone to breaking off with heavy usage. I've had no problems playing the PS3 version so far.

Tain

cj_iwakura said:
Also, Easy did have Undo before. Normal didn't.

And the art book has no spoilers. Browse worry-free.

I like the wordiness of it. Makes it a little meatier than the JP artbook, which had almost nothing.
I'm guessing the different difficulty levels had different stage layouts, right?

I'm hoping that normal here without the drinks or undo will be the same as unpatched normal.

cj_iwakura

Tain said:
I'm guessing the different difficulty levels had different stage layouts, right?

I'm hoping that normal here without the drinks or undo will be the same as unpatched normal.

I have Normal down to a science. If Normal or Hard changed it up, I will notice.

cj_iwakura

Aww, the cast aren't credited like in the JP's opening. :( Just the characters.

Ah well, it still works.

Now I'll never know who voiced Boss. :(

But I bet I'll be able to guess.

Yuripaw

Banned
Game clock over 12 hours, finally done with my first playthrough. It was pretty darn good. These guys NEED to make an RPG on current gen hardware, I just love the whole look of the game. The puzzles were fun and challenging, but they do get kinda frustrating, even on lower difficulties. Great story though, I gotta play it for a different ending sometime, but I don't think I'll rush it :) Not as great as Persona 4, but Atlus has still struck gold yet again. They're probably my favorite Japanese dev/publisher.

Erica used to be Eric lol, i didn't see that coming

Sallokin

Loving the game so far. Pretty much exactly what I hoped it'd be. I'm team Katherine for the moment, but goddamn she's getting on my nerves. Almost like a real girlfriend at times lol.

Top Bottom